Eardley/Wales

Have now read this in full....what a cracking post!!! Tempted to print it out and hand it out to some of the knobs in the Chaddy who love to slate Eardley at any given second!

Haha thanks. Might be worth a shot, i've had enough of the Eardley out brigade, they can't see past the man giving the ball away to se the fundamental problems in the structure of our game that are the root of it. Like Delfer says, it's just as bad in the RRE, 2 guys behind me yesterday hardly stopped, I had to point out to them who had put in the free kick that we scored from when they went silent for a few mins after. Ridiculous people.

rumour has it he has been told he wont play for wales ever again,

he wasnt enjoying any nights out on the booze, he just isnt good enough. :blink:

Rubbish. Flynn was at the game and was impressed with his performance.

Why do people insist on posting lies?

Haha thanks. Might be worth a shot, i've had enough of the Eardley out brigade, they can't see past the man giving the ball away to se the fundamental problems in the structure of our game that are the root of it. Like Delfer says, it's just as bad in the RRE, 2 guys behind me yesterday hardly stopped, I had to point out to them who had put in the free kick that we scored from when they went silent for a few mins after. Ridiculous people.

I found it revealing that Eardley was the first name I heard after the first 20 minutes or so of Joe's first game back, when some people just couldn't help but try and poison the positive atmosphere. So often when he gets the chance Eardley brings it down, beats the winger and drives up and infield, it's a completelty different thing to keep the opposition uncertain about what to do, especially as they won't be happy to let him go if he releases the ball as they will know about the shot he has on either foot if he keeps on going. It's not like he takes pleasure in hoofing it down the line, which is I believe textbook play for a fullback when there is no other option on?

Only just got round to reading the LeylandLatic post. Superb. I have felt all season how discouraging it must be for Eardley to be deprived of the kind of football environment in which he would thrive and then have to put up with the loudmouth morons who seem to see everything and understand nothing. The lad is one of our most talented players and often seems to be totally unappreciated. It is really good to read an intelligent piece like this telling things the way they really are.

Only just got round to reading the LeylandLatic post. Superb.

I think it's posts like that which just about keeps me with a sliver of faith in messageboards. You know, at least someone is out there letting their thoughts be known who just happens to know what they're talking about.

It's pretty much the same as my major bugbear right now, and that's the clear lack of patience with our young prospects that too many of our fans have seemingly. Let the lads develop FFS.

I think I'll admit to getting frustrated with Eardley a few times during games, but this is mostly when he's got all the time in the world and he's into their half, and opts for one of those half-sliced lofted balls into the box when there's just no-one going to win it. But some of the abuse, and it is abuse and not criticism, he gets when at the match is completely well over the mark.

I'm another one for the LeylandLatic love-in (hmm, that would be a good username??). The number of times any of our back 5 gets the ball and only have the option of a heavily marked Taylor asking for the ball is ridiculous, it is little wonder that they just lump it upfront and hope. You can see this more clearly when we get a throw-in and the total lack of movement from the lads in blue when the ball is dead. Hopefully the next managerial appointment is made as soon as the season is over (maybe sooner) and the manager has a chance to address the fact that for as long as I can remember we do not even get the basics right let alone the fancy stuff.

I think I have a decent knowledge of football and Latics.

But the great unanswered question for me has been "good midfielders, why is it not working?".

Allott, Whitaker, Maher.

Liddell, Smalley, Taylor.

Perm 4 from 6 and it should work.

I've felt the work rate hasn't been quite up to it. But I haven't been able to put my finger on exactly what's missing.

LeylandLatic may be stating the obvious, but I'd missed it. And he's right.

I've largely held my tongue over the systematic abuse of Eardley, as I felt that only managing a handful of games this season and watching LW highlights would discredit my point; however, now I've witnessed other bastions of good sense flying the flag of sound moral fibre I feel compelled to stick my oar in.

Neal Eardley is potentially the brightest prospect we've had since the heady days of the early 90s. And I'm including Chris Taylor in that. None of my opinion is swayed by his international status, the rumours of Premier:censored: clubs looking at him, or even the 'sheep mentality' that affects every football fan at some point. No, it's based on actually watching him play, realising the attributes he possesses far outweigh the ones he doesn't, and coming to the conclusion that, even at this formative stage of his career, he's an accomplished footballer.

I honestly believe that those who berate him have allowed their judgement to be clouded by the interest from other clubs and the rumoured price tag. All they can see is a raw player who DOES make mistakes and bad decisions - of that there is no question - and this results in the lack of foresight kicking in. It suddenly becomes incomprehensible that clubs of a higher standard would look at him and consider taking him on. What scouts and managers see is a young player with potential; kind of a rough draft that they can iron the imperfections out of.

I also believe that the years of pain since the glory years (and, let's face it, we were spoiled by them) have created a perverse and intrinsic desire in a lot of our fans. A desire, essentially, to see our own players fail so they can say "I told you so".

I also find it strange that he was arguably our best player last season, whereas Chris Taylor was shockingly average. I don't recall Taylor being castigated.

I've laboured this post out enough, so my closing gambit is this: put Neal Eardley in a side with other capable footballers and he will shine.

I also find it strange that he was arguably our best player last season, whereas Chris Taylor was shockingly average. I don't recall Taylor being castigated.

I do...thankfully, they're very very quiet these days. And so will the Eardley-bashers some day once we properly sort out the right flank. Taylor is the perfect example in this Eardley case.

PS Eardley ate my cat, you know!?!?!

I've largely held my tongue over the systematic abuse of Eardley, as I felt that only managing a handful of games this season and watching LW highlights would discredit my point; however, now I've witnessed other bastions of good sense flying the flag of sound moral fibre I feel compelled to stick my oar in.

Neal Eardley is potentially the brightest prospect we've had since the heady days of the early 90s. And I'm including Chris Taylor in that. None of my opinion is swayed by his international status, the rumours of Premier:censored: clubs looking at him, or even the 'sheep mentality' that affects every football fan at some point. No, it's based on actually watching him play, realising the attributes he possesses far outweigh the ones he doesn't, and coming to the conclusion that, even at this formative stage of his career, he's an accomplished footballer.

I honestly believe that those who berate him have allowed their judgement to be clouded by the interest from other clubs and the rumoured price tag. All they can see is a raw player who DOES make mistakes and bad decisions - of that there is no question - and this results in the lack of foresight kicking in. It suddenly becomes incomprehensible that clubs of a higher standard would look at him and consider taking him on. What scouts and managers see is a young player with potential; kind of a rough draft that they can iron the imperfections out of.

I also believe that the years of pain since the glory years (and, let's face it, we were spoiled by them) have created a perverse and intrinsic desire in a lot of our fans. A desire, essentially, to see our own players fail so they can say "I told you so".

I've laboured this post out enough, so my closing gambit is this: put Neal Eardley in a side with other capable footballers and he will shine.

Great post there mate!! Couldnt have put it better myself.

It may be the Welsh in me but I have very short time for anyone who abuses one of our best players and probably our joint best prospect. Neal Eardley was playing in front of Chris Gunter for Wales/their u21 until just before Spurs signed him and Chris Gunter was sold for £1.5 million when that happened my first thought was well Eardley is worth at least that then. OK that was last year and his form this year hasn't been great but you can see that Eardley is destined to play at a higher level and I just hope he stays at the club long enough for that higher level to be with Latics. However given the abuse he gets from people who seemingly don't know anything about football I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves before that happens. I think whoever pointed out how good Eardley looked when playing with Wellens hit the nail on the head.

It does amaze me just how bad the abuse Eardley gets, take last Saturday for instance he got abuse for not defending properly for their first goal but if Gregan had defended properly Eardley wouldn't have had to. Then for their second goal (which I have seen again on telly) Eardley does absolutely the right thing he wins the header to stop Mackail-Smith winning it and heads it back to where Supple should have been. Instead Supple isn't there and Eardley gets abuse for doing his job- as the ball was outside the area when he headed it.

Lomax is probably the better defender of the two but that doesn't mean Eardley's defending is poor. However, Eardley provides a much better option going forward and is the much better full-back (who have to attack these days). He has also shown his usefulness in midfield and I think could quite easily play there.

How many times does this need saying before people understand how football works. The Eardley out brigade know less about football than my mum. Eardley PREFERS to play short passes where possible, when he first broke into the team, we had players like Wellens who came looking for the ball and we had men up front who weren't afraid to show for the ball and ask for it into feet. The key component though as I say was Wellens because he moves and asks for the ball. Eardley, could give it him and look for a return and even Captain Slow was more of an assett and made life much easier for Eardley.

Now what has he got to aim for? Until recently a disinterested Lee Hughes, lacking in pace and looking to get in behind the defence, not really going to happen. A string of fairly useless has beens brought in on loan who hardly look interested and youngsters like LA, who although pretty talented, aren't the finished article. It is however important to note that Eardley's best performances have largely come when LA is on the pitch, why? It's because he wants the ball to feet where possible and he looks for it. Throughout the rest of the team who else actually looks like they want the ball? Taylor, marked by 2 sometimes 3 men, can you think of anyone else? When there is a bit of movement, Eardley is superb because he has the ability to play a 'pass and move' style game, that's probably why his best games have come fopr Wales this season when the game is much shorter and suited to him. When there is nothing but a percentage ball to hit over and over again, is it possible for him to look anything other than average? especially when you factor in our lack of pace up front and unwillingness to pressure the defence. How has DJ done since he came back from Wolves? Good the first time, but forget a half decent performance against Leeds, I can hardly think of any game worth shouting about. So why is this? Again it comes down to lack of movement ahead of him and unfortunately the fall from grace of Lee Hughes. DJ has been giving the ball away just as much if not more than Eardley, yet it's Eardley who gets the flack. Early in the season when the players were playing with a bit more finesse and everyone wanted the ball, DJ stood out as a great prospect, that's because he plays a similar game to Eardley, he wants to play it short and look for a return and combine with the winger.

Eardley wasn't fantastic at the start of the season, but he was steady and having a lethargic Andy Liddell ahead of you doesn't do you any favours. A couple of years back it was a decent combination, but for the most part having Liddell as your only outlet except playing percentages isn't much to work with. Eardley will play higher than L1 in his career, 'there's no doubt about that', he CLEARLY has the ability. Despite putting in fairly reasonable performaces he has been made this seasons scapegoat because people don't understand the game. Watch how many times he creates some time for himself by beating his man with his almost trademark cut inside only to look up and see nothing ahead of him but static men in blue holding hands with their markers, criminal it is! That's why he sometimes gets caught in posession or is forced to give it away.

Back to the P'boro game, superb ball for the goal, a couple of other decent crosses as well. The second goal for them, if anyone's fault, was surely Supple's. He failed to shout for it earlier in the half when Hazell, stood right in front of him headed out for a corner when Supple could easily have shouted for an easy catch. The same happened again (I didn't hear a shout from the front of the RRE anyway, correct me if i'm wrong though) and Eardley went to routinely head back to his keeper who given the lack of communication he expected to be on his line still.

after this post, im not even going to read the rest of this thread, nothing more can be said, anything else is just wrong.

after this post, im not even going to read the rest of this thread, nothing more can be said, anything else is just wrong.

Here here, I'm chuffed to bits with this thread - not how it started like, but with the reasoned, well drafted & composed posts that various users have added to the debate - no name calling, no abuse, no off-topics - wow, a proper thread - JOY!!!!

Leyland, Zorro et all have all spoken very eloquently (& correctly) on this topic so i'm not going to add too much more.

Just 2 things;

1.) i really, really hope Neal has read this thread from start to finish - as his confidence has just been crushed this term - reading this thread will surely give him hope that there are still Oldham fans who can actually watch the game & draw reasoned conclusions from it, and that not every oldham fan has the need, almost tourette-like to yell out "bloody hell Eardley" every time he goes near the ball.

2.) I put this to the eardley haters - who would you rather have; Holden / Clegg / Swailes........an out of position Reuben or even the all-effort but gulf in class Lomax?? For me, and many others according to this thread, it's a no brainer....i'll plump for a cracking young International full-back who gives his all for the badge despite being lambasted everytime he breathes.

Ignore the ignornant Neal & stick with the 'Tics; we need players like you!!