Eardley/Wales

rumour has it he has been told he wont play for wales ever again,

he wasnt enjoying any nights out on the booze, he just isnt good enough. :blink:

Cheap shot at a decent lad. I guess you're one of the idiots who slag him off from the warm up to the final whistle.

rumour has it he has been told he wont play for wales ever again,

he wasnt enjoying any nights out on the booze, he just isnt good enough. :blink:

Hmm.

The 20 year-old from Llandudno scored from the penalty spot and created two more goals with his crosses.

"I was delighted with Neal," said Flynn. "He was the only senior international on show and he was flown over with Rhys Williams from the senior squad to join us last week for the first Luxembourg match.

"He may well have been disappointed to miss out on the seniors, but he has not let it show. His reaction has been outstanding, and he scored one and made two others from full-back.

"I know Neal well enough to know that he is not the sort of lad to give anything less than 100% whatever team he plays for.

"He does not have to be captain to produce a captain's performance. He did just that.

"I recall giving him his debut in the Under-19s, and he has progressed well ever since.

"He just wants to play for Wales, anywhere, any time. That shone through with a really strong performance.

Thought Eardley played ok today, better crossing and not caught out of position like he has been of late. Such a shame that he was involved in the mixup with Supple.

I agree, it will happen to nearly every player in their career. Unfortunately it happened today at a crucial tiem when we couldn't get back into the game. OF WHICH WE WERE ON TOP IN, lets not forget that.

I agree, it will happen to nearly every player in their career. Unfortunately it happened today at a crucial tiem when we couldn't get back into the game. OF WHICH WE WERE ON TOP IN, lets not forget that.

DO WE GET 3 POINTS for being the best team in the 2nd half, dont think so.

i think Eardley gets a lot of excessive stick. Its true that his performances this season have not really been anywhere near those in previous seasons but people calling for him to just get out of the club and to be sold for free are ridiculous!

A problem i've noticed previously with latics is we've released or sold cheaply young players who had yet to mature. Its a massively impatient policy, players such as eardley, at 20 years old, are rarely going to be perfectly consistent. They will have good games and bad games. I think its absolutely fair to critisise a bad performance but to clamour for his sale is ridiculous. I believe that unless he is sold (undoubtedly to a higher level should the situation arise) he will go on to be one of the first names on the team sheet, and one of the clubs more consistent players, for years to come.

i think Eardley gets a lot of excessive stick. Its true that his performances this season have not really been anywhere near those in previous seasons but people calling for him to just get out of the club and to be sold for free are ridiculous!

A problem i've noticed previously with latics is we've released or sold cheaply young players who had yet to mature. Its a massively impatient policy, players such as eardley, at 20 years old, are rarely going to be perfectly consistent. They will have good games and bad games. I think its absolutely fair to critisise a bad performance but to clamour for his sale is ridiculous. I believe that unless he is sold (undoubtedly to a higher level should the situation arise) he will go on to be one of the first names on the team sheet, and one of the clubs more consistent players, for years to come.

its not his inconsistency that gripes myself and other people, it is the fact that he hasnt or doesnt seem to be improving his all round game/performances, he has got considerably worse since breaking in 3 seasons ago when i thought he looked superb. His general game play is awful and he performs the same way week in week out, although yesterday was pleasingly an improvement on his more recent games.

His attitude also stinks - he gives off the 'im better than oldham cos i play for wales' aura and the recent couldnt-be-arsed-to-chase-back episode summed this up.

I hope maybe next season joe can get into his head and point out that at present he is not better than the club, if he was someone would have made a bid for him by now, which no one has. Personally if i was watchin him at the moment i wouldnt pay 100k for him.

Maybe a move/change of scene would improve him if he doesnt get rid of his ego. If he does and is prepared to listen and learn and stay close to his wingers (yesterday he was so arrogantly far away from boyd, thinking 'ah its ok ill get across', when in actual fact his positioning allowed boyd a free run at him and to skip past him with ease) then i think we will have a decent player on our hands.

I wait to be proved wrong and for eardley to play like an international/championship player, which you can see in chris taylor.

its not his inconsistency that gripes myself and other people, it is the fact that he hasnt or doesnt seem to be improving his all round game/performances, he has got considerably worse since breaking in 3 seasons ago when i thought he looked superb. His general game play is awful and he performs the same way week in week out, although yesterday was pleasingly an improvement on his more recent games.

His attitude also stinks - he gives off the 'im better than oldham cos i play for wales' aura and the recent couldnt-be-arsed-to-chase-back episode summed this up.

I hope maybe next season joe can get into his head and point out that at present he is not better than the club, if he was someone would have made a bid for him by now, which no one has. Personally if i was watchin him at the moment i wouldnt pay 100k for him.

Maybe a move/change of scene would improve him if he doesnt get rid of his ego. If he does and is prepared to listen and learn and stay close to his wingers (yesterday he was so arrogantly far away from boyd, thinking 'ah its ok ill get across', when in actual fact his positioning allowed boyd a free run at him and to skip past him with ease) then i think we will have a decent player on our hands.

I wait to be proved wrong and for eardley to play like an international/championship player, which you can see in chris taylor.

How many times does this need saying before people understand how football works. The Eardley out brigade know less about football than my mum. Eardley PREFERS to play short passes where possible, when he first broke into the team, we had players like Wellens who came looking for the ball and we had men up front who weren't afraid to show for the ball and ask for it into feet. The key component though as I say was Wellens because he moves and asks for the ball. Eardley, could give it him and look for a return and even Captain Slow was more of an assett and made life much easier for Eardley.

Now what has he got to aim for? Until recently a disinterested Lee Hughes, lacking in pace and looking to get in behind the defence, not really going to happen. A string of fairly useless has beens brought in on loan who hardly look interested and youngsters like LA, who although pretty talented, aren't the finished article. It is however important to note that Eardley's best performances have largely come when LA is on the pitch, why? It's because he wants the ball to feet where possible and he looks for it. Throughout the rest of the team who else actually looks like they want the ball? Taylor, marked by 2 sometimes 3 men, can you think of anyone else? When there is a bit of movement, Eardley is superb because he has the ability to play a 'pass and move' style game, that's probably why his best games have come fopr Wales this season when the game is much shorter and suited to him. When there is nothing but a percentage ball to hit over and over again, is it possible for him to look anything other than average? especially when you factor in our lack of pace up front and unwillingness to pressure the defence. How has DJ done since he came back from Wolves? Good the first time, but forget a half decent performance against Leeds, I can hardly think of any game worth shouting about. So why is this? Again it comes down to lack of movement ahead of him and unfortunately the fall from grace of Lee Hughes. DJ has been giving the ball away just as much if not more than Eardley, yet it's Eardley who gets the flack. Early in the season when the players were playing with a bit more finesse and everyone wanted the ball, DJ stood out as a great prospect, that's because he plays a similar game to Eardley, he wants to play it short and look for a return and combine with the winger.

Eardley wasn't fantastic at the start of the season, but he was steady and having a lethargic Andy Liddell ahead of you doesn't do you any favours. A couple of years back it was a decent combination, but for the most part having Liddell as your only outlet except playing percentages isn't much to work with. Eardley will play higher than L1 in his career, 'there's no doubt about that', he CLEARLY has the ability. Despite putting in fairly reasonable performaces he has been made this seasons scapegoat because people don't understand the game. Watch how many times he creates some time for himself by beating his man with his almost trademark cut inside only to look up and see nothing ahead of him but static men in blue holding hands with their markers, criminal it is! That's why he sometimes gets caught in posession or is forced to give it away.

Back to the P'boro game, superb ball for the goal, a couple of other decent crosses as well. The second goal for them, if anyone's fault, was surely Supple's. He failed to shout for it earlier in the half when Hazell, stood right in front of him headed out for a corner when Supple could easily have shouted for an easy catch. The same happened again (I didn't hear a shout from the front of the RRE anyway, correct me if i'm wrong though) and Eardley went to routinely head back to his keeper who given the lack of communication he expected to be on his line still.

How many times does this need saying before people understand how football works. The Eardley out brigade know less about football than my mum. Eardley PREFERS to play short passes where possible, when he first broke into the team, we had players like Wellens who came looking for the ball and we had men up front who weren't afraid to show for the ball and ask for it into feet. The key component though as I say was Wellens because he moves and asks for the ball. Eardley, could give it him and look for a return and even Captain Slow was more of an assett and made life much easier for Eardley.

Now what has he got to aim for? Until recently a disinterested Lee Hughes, lacking in pace and looking to get in behind the defence, not really going to happen. A string of fairly useless has beens brought in on loan who hardly look interested and youngsters like LA, who although pretty talented, aren't the finished article. It is however important to note that Eardley's best performances have largely come when LA is on the pitch, why? It's because he wants the ball to feet where possible and he looks for it. Throughout the rest of the team who else actually looks like they want the ball? Taylor, marked by 2 sometimes 3 men, can you think of anyone else? When there is a bit of movement, Eardley is superb because he has the ability to play a 'pass and move' style game, that's probably why his best games have come fopr Wales this season when the game is much shorter and suited to him. When there is nothing but a percentage ball to hit over and over again, is it possible for him to look anything other than average? especially when you factor in our lack of pace up front and unwillingness to pressure the defence. How has DJ done since he came back from Wolves? Good the first time, but forget a half decent performance against Leeds, I can hardly think of any game worth shouting about. So why is this? Again it comes down to lack of movement ahead of him and unfortunately the fall from grace of Lee Hughes. DJ has been giving the ball away just as much if not more than Eardley, yet it's Eardley who gets the flack. Early in the season when the players were playing with a bit more finesse and everyone wanted the ball, DJ stood out as a great prospect, that's because he plays a similar game to Eardley, he wants to play it short and look for a return and combine with the winger.

Eardley wasn't fantastic at the start of the season, but he was steady and having a lethargic Andy Liddell ahead of you doesn't do you any favours. A couple of years back it was a decent combination, but for the most part having Liddell as your only outlet except playing percentages isn't much to work with. Eardley will play higher than L1 in his career, 'there's no doubt about that', he CLEARLY has the ability. Despite putting in fairly reasonable performaces he has been made this seasons scapegoat because people don't understand the game. Watch how many times he creates some time for himself by beating his man with his almost trademark cut inside only to look up and see nothing ahead of him but static men in blue holding hands with their markers, criminal it is! That's why he sometimes gets caught in posession or is forced to give it away.

Back to the P'boro game, superb ball for the goal, a couple of other decent crosses as well. The second goal for them, if anyone's fault, was surely Supple's. He failed to shout for it earlier in the half when Hazell, stood right in front of him headed out for a corner when Supple could easily have shouted for an easy catch. The same happened again (I didn't hear a shout from the front of the RRE anyway, correct me if i'm wrong though) and Eardley went to routinely head back to his keeper who given the lack of communication he expected to be on his line still.

Some good fair points, i do feel there is ability in eardley but he isnt showing it at present. You say he likes short passes, but why when he has time and space to play a simple ball and keep possession does he always look down the line and play a hoofball either hoping it falls to someone in the vacinity or in most cases, give it straight back to the oppo? There is no excuse for a 20yr old professional with his experience to give the ball away as cheaply as he does.

Im not saying hes the only one who could improve, he definatley is not, but he is certainly the one most notably underperforming/lacking awareness of keeping it simple.

The goal yesterday was his fault, he let the guy catch him up instead of booting it out for a throw, then he let it bounce at which point supple came to clear/head it away only for eardley to head it past him. I definatley heard a shout of 'keeper' form supple on the Hazell incident, and that was from the main stand upper, again with hazell it was a case of someone not using their brain and keeping it simple ie leave for keeper.

Thats what frustrates me with eardley, he does things defensively and attacking wise that to me dont seem the logical thing to do ie keeping close to your winger instead of leaving him wide open. Attacking wise, running beyond the winger to the byline and drag the winger out of position to mark him and stop a cross, even Scott McNiven went past a winger not stop halfway.

Anyway, a good pre season with a settled rw partnership and improvement in his game he will be a good player. I hope he takes it on board and erradictaes his mistakes, like i say it seems to me to be his attitude that is affetcing his football ability, maybe Joe can sort.

And yes, a superb ball in for the goal. Right where you want it in the 6yrd area.

No you're right, and the stick he gets has clearly got to him. i hope a good coach will put him back on track.

i met sean eardley and michael pearson on a night out two weeks ago and we agreed that neal eardley recieves too much unfair criticism from latics fanbs and i was told it affects him tho we also agreed he will soon play for a better club than latics

Someone needs to tell Joe how to prounce Eardley's name. It's not Ear-dley, as stated by Joe on GMR and by the voice-over on the Championship this morning.

Wasn't that the ground's N'zogbia sited as reasons he had to leave Newcastle??

As for Eardley Saturday he played better than he as for some time. Wrong week to beat him with a stick me thinks. He's given you plenty of weeks in the past though.

Edited by Lags

As for Eardley Saturday he played better than he as for some time. Wrong week to beat him with a stick me thinks.

Agreed,

I find it amazing that the most consistent part of the team's performances in 2008/09 is the cock-ups between defenders and keepers that started in the opening game against Millwall and continued up to yesterday. I would have expected experienced Mark Crossley to have eliminated it by setting up communication between our defenders and the various keepers we've had.

Can't be arsed with a lot of the rubbish on here...all I'll say is that had Shez not kept Liddell and sorted us out with a proper RW for the season, Eardley would've had a far, far better season. When Lids had his legs, for the first half of Shez's 1st season in charge, both he and Eardley linked up superbly. As Lids' abilities have gone down the :censored:ter, Eardleys left pushing up and been exposed, played too many hopeful or wrong passes and has suffered tremendously. It's sad to see. His confidence has gone with it and from what I've been told, Shez barely even spoke to him this season. I feel sorry for the lad.......I seriously hope we can get in a RW and get them playing as a right-flank unit or else Eardley will continue to suffer and be a scapegoat for a bigger underlying problem.

PS Coincidently...where was Fabio yesterday? Would've been worth seeing them two on the right and striking up some understanding.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Agreed,

I find it amazing that the most consistent part of the team's performances in 2008/09 is the cock-ups between defenders and keepers that started in the opening game against Millwall and continued up to yesterday. I would have expected experienced Mark Crossley to have eliminated it by setting up communication between our defenders and the various keepers we've had.

The fact that various keepers and defenders through the season have not dealt with situations correctly is now Mark Crossleys fault.. :blink:

What's the saying.."you can lead a horse to water...." (or something similar) Pro footballers who have reached the dizzy heights of playing week in, week out at this level, have had enough coaching and advice on this subject i'm sure....Human error could be blamed, but not Crossley surely?

Can't be arsed with a lot of the rubbish on here...all I'll say is that had Shez not kept Liddell and sorted us out with a proper RW for the season, Eardley would've had a far, far better season. When Lids had his legs, for the first half of Shez's 1st season in charge, both he and Eardley linked up superbly. As Lids' abilities have gone down the :censored:ter, Eardleys left pushing up and been exposed, played too many hopeful or wrong passes and has suffered tremendously. It's sad to see. His confidence has gone with it and from what I've been told, Shez barely even spoke to him this season. I feel sorry for the lad.......I seriously hope we can get in a RW and get them playing as a right-flank unit or else Eardley will continue to suffer and be a scapegoat for a bigger underlying problem.

PS Coincidently...where was Fabio yesterday? Would've been worth seeing them two on the right and striking up some understanding.

Pretty much what I said, but a little less ranting. I'm getting pretty wound up with the lack of knowledge about the game amongst our fans that leads to people picking out a player who is 'underperfroming' but largely due to factors they can' control. Give Eardley a decent RW and some options to pass to and he will get his confidence back and we will see him back to his best. At the moment he is forced to play percentages and that just isn't his game. This is another problem partly created by the loss of Wellens with no obvious replace ment imo, nobody wants it off the defence.

Pretty much what I said, but a little less ranting. I'm getting pretty wound up with the lack of knowledge about the game amongst our fans that leads to people picking out a player who is 'underperfroming' but largely due to factors they can' control. Give Eardley a decent RW and some options to pass to and he will get his confidence back and we will see him back to his best. At the moment he is forced to play percentages and that just isn't his game. This is another problem partly created by the loss of Wellens with no obvious replace ment imo, nobody wants it off the defence.

Sorry that I missed your post...just the rubbish on here nowadays makes me skip a lot of what's been said. It's good to know some of us still watch the game, rather than the player and wait for his mistake. There were several huge cracks in Shez' reign that saw him leave...the missing midfield playmaker being one (which he'd gambled on being Kilkenny) and this RW situation was another. I think he just hoped that Lids would re-find his legs, or that Eardley could take on playing 2 positions...or even that Allott, Whits, Lee et al could fill in at RW. Never was gunna happen...and it's affected a lot of the balance in the team and a few players individually (let's not forget Davies who ended up chasing balls Lids was never going to reach out wide.) Worst of all...Eardley.

The fact that various keepers and defenders through the season have not dealt with situations correctly is now Mark Crossleys fault.. :blink:

What's the saying.."you can lead a horse to water...." (or something similar) Pro footballers who have reached the dizzy heights of playing week in, week out at this level, have had enough coaching and advice on this subject i'm sure....Human error could be blamed, but not Crossley surely?

I'm not saying Crossley is to blame for not eradicating the repeated human errors. However, I would have expected Crossley to have told the defenders and the keepers how he and Stuart Pearce & Co., used to deal with simiular situations. He may well have done this of course, but don't be surprised if we haven't seen the last of this particular cock-up this season.

Have now read this in full....what a cracking post!!! Tempted to print it out and hand it out to some of the knobs in the Chaddy who love to slate Eardley at any given second!

Have now read this in full....what a cracking post!!! Tempted to print it out and hand it out to some of the knobs in the Chaddy who love to slate Eardley at any given second!

agreed - it's not just the chaddy though also the RRE, & main stand top & bottom

agreed - it's not just the chaddy though also the RRE, & main stand top & bottom

Very true...just there's a small puddle of idiots who sit infront of me (one who had a verbal volley with Eardley during a game earlier this season)...makes me cringe to be classed in the same bracket of "fan" as they are...even if they have paid their money and are one of the 3,500 of us left! If that makes me a whollier-than-thou superfan to them or others, then so be it...couldn't care less.