todays attendance

Good post CJ.

There have been racist chants on Boundary Park as recently as the last decade.

Try this season...

There seems be a song '' We all live in a racist town '' becoming fashionable at away games....Not sure what the meaning behind it is, but if you take it literally I suppose it's true....''welcome to Oldham - the most racially divided town in the country'' is what the NOW proclaimed in one edition in the early 00s..

Massive distruct between the different ethnic groups in this area.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not true at all Lags. They play football just as much as similar aged young white lads. I had a knock about in Milnrow on monday night and the lads who'd booked the pitch after ourselves were all asian.

The thing is though - they dont seem to want to mix. There is not one asian team in the monday night league on Kaskenmoor (Failsworth area) that I play in and that has side's from Milnrow to Newton Heath. Same when we had a short spell in the wednesday night league as well. There's only the odd asian lad who's playing with his all white mates and a ref from a season or two back who was half pakistani who's on there. This could be for a number of reasons, but more so because they have specific "asian 6a side leagues" within various asian communities. Dont know if that's the case in Oldham but it happens in Rochdale.

As for following football. They'd rather take the easy option and support a United or Liverpool. There is a massive local following - particular in Rochdale towards those two that's evident when you walk around any majority populated with various ethnic minorities. Not specifically asian.

Why would they come Latics or other local league clubs when it's £20 to get in??

That said - last season at dale there was a couple of asian lads who 'caught the bug' and went the last half a dozen home games and to wembley. I saw them at the services on the way down to Wembley with them singing dale songs and clapping away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnfbolmIYfQ

There you go. It can be done. Though it'd need something good happening on the pitch beforehand.

Those who'd of been in the Chaddy will have been on complimentary tickets.

Erm what's Asian lads playing a game of knock about between themselves got to do with attending Football clubs? you've not proved me wrong at all. Quite the opposite actually. Unless the 'two' at Dale is your counter argument that is!

Edited by Lags

Erm what's Asian lads playing a game of knock about between themselves got to do with attending Football clubs? you've not proved me wrong at all. Quite the opposite actually. Unless the 'two' at Dale is your counter argument that is!

In the end, Asians not attending BP has nothing to do with why Latics attract far smaller crowds than clubs in very similar towns with the same percentage of Asians or even more: Blackburn, Burnley, Bolton, Preston etc. It's our relative lack of success to blame, nothing else.

Edited by Corporal_Jones