todays attendance

''The town's dying'' - ''It's all the council's fault'', ''it's all the Asians fault''....blah blah blah....get real you numbskulls and go and educate yourselves.

I agree to an extent, councils aren't there to fix the world's problems. They do genuine harm though when they hamper development which then goes elsewhere, as has been the case more than once in Oldham.

As for t'other debate, I would love to know how many white families have been crowded out of Oldham's surging property market by the Asian influx, and how many fans this has therefore cost the club. None, at a guess. But Slurms calls me a bigot :lol:

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell me why Oldham is any worse off than any other northern industrial town......and try not to mention the following words : bowling alley, cinema and tommyfield.

Spoken like someone who has not got a clue about the politics that operate within the borugh...

Ok I will give you one...IKEA...and they werent the only massive coporation to be turned down by OMBC....

How many retail parks do with have in Oldham...now look at Bury, Wigan, Bolton...

How many business parks do we have in Oldham...now look at Bury Wigan and Bolton...

Now point out which town has two motorways desecting it....add on a major city on our door steps...

Oldham could and should have been a golden nugget...

As much as I am not a Tory, the sooner this town ditches the Libs and Labour the better.... Disgusting the way this town has died...

Now I WILL turn the attention to the vacant land in Hollinwood as a huge symbol of just where this town has gone... last time I was back in Oldham it had two advertising boards sitting on it...

Council bashing :ranting: you havent got a clue...

I feel the town and its people has the council it deserves sometimes...

Edited by oafc0000

Spoken like someone who has not got a clue about the politics that operate within the borugh...

Ok I will give you one...IKEA...and they werent the only massive coporation to be turned down by OMBC....

How many retail parks do with have in Oldham...now look at Bury, Wigan, Bolton...

How many business parks do we have in Oldham...now look at Bury Wigan and Bolton...

Now point out which town has two motorways desecting it....add on a major city on our door steps...

Oldham could and should have been a golden nugget...

As much as I am not a Tory, the sooner this town ditches the Libs and Labour the better.... Disgusting the way this town has died...

Now I WILL turn the attention to the vacant land in Hollinwood as a huge symbol of just where this town has gone... last time I was back in Oldham it had two advertising boards sitting on it...

Council bashing :ranting: you havent got a clue...

I feel the town and its people has the council it deserves sometimes...

I really shouldn't get involved in a 'debate' with you because it never really is a debate - it's just you posting opinionated drivel after drivel until you wear people down. BUT I will make a few points ( which I hasten to add aren't a commendation of the council or Borough - no, I think things could be lots better, but I also know that the Borough is no worse off than many other northern industrial towns, bar a business park here or a bowling alley there. )

The council turned IKEA down - hmm, I'm sure they did, hey, just for the hell of it eh...we don't like IKEA so we will :censored: them off - what a crock of :censored:. Do you really know why IKEA chose Ashton ?

Retail Parks/Business Parks aplenty in the Borough - Broadway Business Park, Salmon Fields Business Village, Southlink Business Centre, many many other smaller business centres, Elk Mill, one of the largest indoor shopping centres in Grt M/cr (with planning approval to be increased by almost nearly 50%), 5 new supermarkets (3 Tescos, 1 ASDA and 1 sainsbury's). I could go on, but what's the point ? We all want more/bigger/better Business Parks and note that a few other towns have sucessfully become home to them, but there are towns that are poorer than us in this area.

Last time I looked in the direction of Hollinwood there was big new office block housing Northern Counties, plus several firms like Manchester Cabins and Pearson Hinchcliffe relocating there....there is a lot more to come for that part of town too, but unfortunately progress is going to be slow in a shrinking economy like this...

There's a lot of serious problems here in Oldham, but I really don't subscribe to the view that Oldham is dead/dying or much worse off than similar towns. It lacks in lots of areas, but excels in others. Let's not forget the Sixth Form College, Oldham College & University Centre Oldham that have been allowed to locate/expand and attract many many students from neighboring areas.

''I feel the town and its people has the council it deserves sometimes..'' Very true. People need to stop sulking and moaning, get up off their arses and do something about it. All this Oldham declinging/dying will be a self-fulfilling prophecy if we're not careful - the more people say it the more people will believe it and act it out. Sames goes for the country as a whole. That's not to say we should not moan or criticise. I just feel lots of people go overboard. Not just in this town - the letters pages of the Rochdale Observer and Huddersfield Examiner are carbon copies of the Chron's letters page.

No idea how the original post managed to get into a race debate!!!

The attendence is purley down to the fact it was a match that result has no bearing on our season that finished around the time father christmas was getting home.

I took my wife and 2 children in the faint hope that we could produce a decent performance and finish the season on a high.90 minutes later the 4 of us walked out wishing that we had kept the £50.00 in our pockets and spent it better.

Erm it seems only you as mentioned or tried to turn it into a race debate. Next............

Can only laugh at these council-bashers in this town - if only more than 30% bothered to turn out to vote, eh.

Tell me why Oldham is any worse off than any other northern industrial town......and try not to mention the following words : bowling alley, cinema and tommyfield.

Some people need to get real and realise that there are serious problems in this borough, but they are by no means unique to it.

''The town's dying'' - ''It's all the council's fault'', ''it's all the Asians fault''....blah blah blah....get real you numbskulls and go and educate yourselves.

Hark at you. Numbskills are we? righto.

Edited by Lags

I agree, what utter nonsense to say they aren't interested in football. From reading other posts from people who base their research on walking about Oldham and doing un-scientific counts of the population then if you care to walk about Werneth or Glodwick you'll see loads of young Asian lads playing football. They aren't interested in Oldham I agree, but they're not in the minority there are they!

Aye Mickey you might see them playing the game in the street between themselves however, I will repeat they aren't interested in FOOTBALL CLUBS. Certainly not paying into Latics that's for sure.

Erm it seems only you as mentioned or tried to turn it into a race debate. Next............

What happened is that you gave the understandable, if debatable opinion that Asians aren't interested in attending football, others challenged this with some reasonable points, only for Slurms to come in with the usual paranoid far-right nonsense about how we're supposedly being misled about the census figures because a walk round a town like Oldham reveals lots of brown faces.

Aye Mickey you might see them playing the game in the street between themselves however, I will repeat they aren't interested in FOOTBALL CLUBS. Certainly not paying into Latics that's for sure.

There might be reasons, however, none of them unique to Latics. Certainly during the seventies and eighties, the era of monkey noises and racist chants (not to mention mass in-stadium hooliganism and Paki bashing), few Asians and other non-white minorities could have felt comfortable at a football ground, so the tradition never took off and got passed on to a younger generation. As others have said, young Asians seem no less interested in football than their white counterparts. Other factors will be at work as well, including the tendency of many at the less well-off end of society, no matter what their ethnicity, to watch their football mostly on the telly, and, specific to us, the unfashionable image and lack of success that also deters many young whites in the town.

As others have said, young Asians seem no less interested in football than their white counterparts

Go to ANY Manchester United home game and you will see lots of asian people in attendance...

Its a real shame they wont come to Latics...I dont really blame them though I do hear "certain" comments being made by a miniority a lot of the time...

Edited by oafc0000

Go to ANY Manchester United home game and you will see lots of asian people in attendance...

Its a real shame they wont come to Latics...I dont really blame them though I do hear "certain" comments being made by a miniority a lot of the time...

Of course you can't tar a complete group of people with the same brush, whether they be deemed black, white red or yellow, English, Scottish or Afgan however, you can talk in the main terms if in the main is what really happens. Now if I was to go to ANY Man Ure game (which wouldn't happen) there is no way on this earth I would see a good representation in percentage terms of the cross reference of creds that now reside in this country. This is the basis of my belief that Asians are not interested in any football club in the sense that you or I are. Further, I'll also add out of the minority within the asian community that actually do attend football matches at any club anywhere in the land I'd wager the biggest proportion of those would be of Indian desent as opposed to others. Which is why I asked in another post did anyone know the figures for the Oldham area of the mix in the Asian communtities of Oldham.

There might be reasons, however, none of them unique to Latics. Certainly during the seventies and eighties, the era of monkey noises and racist chants (not to mention mass in-stadium hooliganism and Paki bashing), few Asians and other non-white minorities could have felt comfortable at a football ground, so the tradition never took off and got passed on to a younger generation. As others have said, young Asians seem no less interested in football than their white counterparts. Other factors will be at work as well, including the tendency of many at the less well-off end of society, no matter what their ethnicity, to watch their football mostly on the telly, and, specific to us, the unfashionable image and lack of success that also deters many young whites in the town.

That's exactly what I've been saying. Not interested in Football clubs (plural)

However aside from the Asian aspect of my original post that I've been drawn too, it's the social side of Oldham in terms of the lack of jobs and low paid jobs that are available that are key here. The town itself needs a huge lift to install a sense of pride in the place that can only help Latics as people will want to be associated with the name Oldham in any shape or form. I know some posters believe that there isn't a problem along these lines however I believe there is.

Why is it those amongst us who have succeeded academically and then have a notion to pursue what is generally accepted 'to be gettin on in life', seek it away from Oldham? It's because that kind of life isn't associated with Oldham, it's not believed by Oldhamer's let alone by others. If it was I believe folks here would have a much greater pride in the name Oldham including the Football club by that name.

Edited by Lags

After saying all that. Success and exciting stuff on the pitch will see bigger attendances end of. Until the excitement and success fades likewise will the crowds and the same underlying social problems will be as above.

This is the basis of my belief that Asians are not interested in any football club in the sense that you or I are.

To be fair their isnt many white english people that are interest edin a football club in the sense me and you are... Thats basically the root problem....

Edited by oafc0000

Why is it those amongst us who have succeeded academically and then have a notion to pursue what is generally accepted 'to be gettin on in life', seek it away from Oldham? It's because that kind of life isn't associated with Oldham, it's not believed by Oldhamer's let alone by others.

Very true...

To be fair their isnt many white english people that are interest edin a football club in the sense me and you are... Thats basically the root problem....

Well true you have different types of football fans. Ones who go to all the games no matter what. They would follow there club no matter what league they are in or where they are playing. You have fans who go to all the home games and maybe half a dozen at most away games. Then you have the fans who like to pick and choose they there games probably go to 5 games at most. Then you have people who would only watch them if they were more successful or cheaper. Finally you have fans who only watch football on tele and don't really want to watch it live. These probably have little interest in football.

Back to the point about Asians and football. These could go to all minorities e.g blacks. They need to do something to encourage these people to turn to Latics they should advertise in these areas. The majority of Asians don't watch live football. They do follow football maybe not at much at the main posters on owtb. It could be a market worth exploring. I think if they bought a asian football these could do wonders just look at Bradford City for example.

i only wanted to know what the gate was :unsure:

Sorry, it's all my fault for mentioning Derby. I said I didn't want to spark another debate about the North West counter-attractions. I should also have mentioned not wanting to raise the comparative percentages of non-white faces, but I thought I would not pre-judge those who might want to vent their spleens on the race issue.

However aside from the Asian aspect of my original post that I've been drawn too, it's the social side of Oldham in terms of the lack of jobs and low paid jobs that are available that are key here. The town itself needs a huge lift to install a sense of pride in the place that can only help Latics as people will want to be associated with the name Oldham in any shape or form. I know some posters believe that there isn't a problem along these lines however I believe there is.

Why is it those amongst us who have succeeded academically and then have a notion to pursue what is generally accepted 'to be gettin on in life', seek it away from Oldham? It's because that kind of life isn't associated with Oldham, it's not believed by Oldhamer's let alone by others. If it was I believe folks here would have a much greater pride in the name Oldham including the Football club by that name.

Lags, a colleague of mine recently went to visit a potential client based in the centre of Oldham and got the train from Mcr Vic to Mumps, and walked up Yorkshire Street to get into the centre. His verdict on the town was not petty when he returned. Basically said it looked like a run down :censored:hole, inhabited by the living dead. He remarked on one individual in particular he's spotted, one of our boroughs young mothers, who was wearing track pants, pushing a pushchair along whilst holding a Greggs pastry based product in one hand and a can of Stella in the other.

It's embarrassing, to be frank. We take our daughter to swimming lessons on a Saturday and when I look around at the town and the people on the streets it's cringeworthy. My colleague is right. The town has become a hole, inhabitied in the main by scrotes with a lack of respect for themselves and/or others and with no sense of self or social pride.