todays attendance

Double that figure, and I might take your point seriously. When was the last time you walked at and about around Oldham during the day?

At least 25% of Oldham is Asian?

Heard it all now.

Don't think you re very good at counting, or you are wearing blinkers...

Edited by singe

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least 25% of Oldham is Asian?

Heard it all now.

Don't think you re very good at counting, or you are wearing blinkers...

Actually, the figure for the actual town itself is well over 20%. The 13% or so is for the borough as a whole. Slurmsy might not like this but there's eff all he can do about it and so is reduced to snivelling on message boards. (When his mates aren't phoning for the bigger boys from Stoke to come and rescue them from the Muslim bullies.)

Derby isn't Oldham so no point trying to like for like with them. Oldham as a huge Asian population with no interest in football clubs. Oldham is one of the poorest towns in the North with mostly low paid jobs. This area as been deprived for decades with no help from the British governments of all sides to improve things. It's own council is pretty much useless. Whilst the big whammy the bulk of the white population follows Scum and Citdee on their TV's and their offspring are only naturally following.

They are interested in football, well most of the teenagers and young men are. They just all support manure or liverpool because Oldham Athletic has never made a sustained attempt to get them interested in their home town team. If we sow the seeds now maybe the future generations might turn up. Bradford have a fair few Asian fans.

They are interested in football, well most of the teenagers and young men are. They just all support manure or liverpool because Oldham Athletic has never made a sustained attempt to get them interested in their home town team. If we sow the seeds now maybe the future generations might turn up. Bradford have a fair few Asian fans.

l'll stand by my statement they have no interest in football clubs, well certainly attending said football clubs. (the vast vast vast majority)

l'll stand by my statement they have no interest in football clubs, well certainly attending said football clubs. (the vast vast vast majority)

Whether true or not, as already stated, this evidently has little effect on a football club's attendances when you consider the number of well-supported clubs in places with large Asian populations.

Actually, the figure for the actual town itself is well over 20%. The 13% or so is for the borough as a whole. Slurmsy might not like this but there's eff all he can do about it and so is reduced to snivelling on message boards. (When his mates aren't phoning for the bigger boys from Stoke to come and rescue them from the Muslim bullies.)

Limiting it to the town centre itself, raises interesting points. Of course, as a counter argument I used the Borough. That said, it cannot be both ways. If we only count the town centre of Oldham, then the target audience plummets from the 200,000 in the Derby post comparing the 2.

It also raises the question of what counts as the town of Oldham?

As the son of someone who campaigned for Saddleworth to be kept in Yorkshire, I can understand that Saddlworth not count as part of the Town of Oldham. But is there a general consensus of what constitute the town of Oldham?

That said, we should not just count Oldham Town Centre as the target market, plenty form the whole Borough attend matches.

Edited by singe

Whether true or not, as already stated, this evidently has little effect on a football club's attendances when you consider the number of well-supported clubs in places with large Asian populations.

Now please re-visit my original post. The Asian content was only part of my reasoning. Please address it in full for a fairer airing

Limiting it to the town centre itself, raises interesting points. Of course, as a counter argument I used the Borough. That said, it cannot be both ways. If we only count the town centre of Oldham, then the target audience plummets from the 200,000 in the Derby post comparing the 2.

It also raises the question of what counts as the town of Oldham?

As the son of someone who campaigned for Saddleworth to be kept in Yorkshire, I can understand that Saddlworth not count as part of the Town of Oldham. But is there a general consensus of what constitute the town of Oldham?

That said, we should not just count Oldham Town Centre as the target market, plenty form the whole Borough attend matches.

Officially, Oldham is the borough covered by Oldham council's jurisdiction. The town itself is only one part of the borough.

The borough includes places which have traditionally identified strongly with Oldham: Royton, Chadderton, Shaw etc, and places which haven't: Failsworth.

It doesn't matter whether you take it seriously or not, as you have an agenda of your own, which you can stick up your arse.

The figures come from official staistics. They are approximate (it might be 14%, might be 12); do some research.

(Awaits :censored:witted claim that the figures are rigged by the neo-communist Brown dictatorship.)

No agenda whatsover. Just experience of still living in the town and not believing for a second that the 2001 census was accurate then, and its even less accurate now, 8 years on. As for who me or "my mates" speak to on the phone, try typing without fantasising about what I get up to in my spare time.

Edited by slurms mckenzie

If you were to revisit my original reply, you'd notice that I did precisely that.

Really?, I see no reference to the social degradation of the Oldham area what so ever. Likewise the lack of jobs or the typical low pay with the ones that exist.

So does Derby mate - the wifes family live in Derby - there is an enormous Indian community down there.

Derek.

Whilst off subject slightly. Does anyone know what percentage of the Oldham Asian population is Indian. As this too also as a bearing.

No agenda whatsover. Just experience of still living in the town and not believing for a second that the 2001 census was accurate then, and its even less accurate now, 8 years on. As for who me or "my mates" speak to on the phone, try typing without your dick in your hand fantasising about what I get up to in my spare time.

I understand that it might not be completely accurate. And none us belioeve it completely, but come on slurms, so are saying that it has got the percentage wrong by 100%, from 13% to 26%.

A couple of points maybe, but not that much surely?

No agenda whatsover. Just experience of still living in the town and not believing for a second that the 2001 census was accurate then, and its even less accurate now, 8 years on. As for who me or "my mates" speak to on the phone, try typing without your dick in your hand fantasising about what I get up to in my spare time.

No fantasising here, just the observation that advertising certain sectarian tendancies often indicates a certain stance on race and immigration. These tendancies were shared by many of those who, in April 2001, had to phone up Stoke's suburban stormtroopers to help them with a problem they'd partly helped to instigate but couldn't cope with, thus embarrasing our town generally and the club in particular.

There might be reason to doubt the accuracy of the 2001 census, but you detail none of them. As singe says, there is no way that it will be out by 100%. Even when methods of information gathering were far less sophisticated a census was never anything like that inaccurate, while the information compiled is as heavily scrutinised as ever.

As if anybody can tell whether the Asian population is 13% or higher by 'walking around the town.' :grin:

Really?, I see no reference to the social degradation of the Oldham area what so ever. Likewise the lack of jobs or the typical low pay with the ones that exist.

Okay. But I nonetheless did focus on more than the issue of the Asian population in my original reply to you.

When it comes to low pay and 'social degradation,' they will definitely have an effect on a club's attendances, but again, these things are factors in places where football clubs still attract big support. I doubt if the whole of Derby is affluent, for example. Low gates are primarily caused by how seriously ambitious a club appears to its local population. We were, after all, in a recession in the early 1990s when we were in the PL and attracting crowds three times the size. In fact, it could be argued that places like Oldham hadn't fully recovered from the recession ten years before that (and still haven't.)

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Okay. But I nonetheless did focus on more than the issue of the Asian population in my original reply to you.

When it comes to low pay and 'social degradation,' they will definitely have an effect on a club's attendances, but again, these things are factors in places where football clubs still attract big support. I doubt if the whole of Derby is affluent, for example. Low gates are primarily caused by how seriously ambitious a club appears to its local population. We were, after all, in a recession in the early 1990s when we were in the PL and attracting crowds three times the size. In fact, it could be argued that places like Oldham hadn't fully recovered from the recession ten years before that (and still haven't.)

Of course product on the pitch influences crowds and it's of little surprise to see the crowds have slowly dwindled down during this season since the turn of December that saw lack lustre performances. However as you say had we been flying high with exciting football the crowds would be nearer 7000 currently with expected bumper crowds had we been in the play off's.

it could be argued that places like Oldham hadn't fully recovered from the recession ten years before that (and still haven't.)

The reason this town is in such a mess is 100% down to the succesion of piss poor councils.... Its nothing short of criminal the way the town has been allowed to die...

Edited by oafc0000

No idea how the original post managed to get into a race debate!!!

The attendence is purley down to the fact it was a match that result has no bearing on our season that finished around the time father christmas was getting home.

I took my wife and 2 children in the faint hope that we could produce a decent performance and finish the season on a high.90 minutes later the 4 of us walked out wishing that we had kept the £50.00 in our pockets and spent it better.

The reason this town is in such a mess is 100% down to the succesion of piss poor councils.... Its nothing short of criminal the way the town has been allowed to die...

a sensible post from oafc0000.

has someone hacked his account?

Can only laugh at these council-bashers in this town - if only more than 30% bothered to turn out to vote, eh.

Tell me why Oldham is any worse off than any other northern industrial town......and try not to mention the following words : bowling alley, cinema and tommyfield.

Some people need to get real and realise that there are serious problems in this borough, but they are by no means unique to it.

''The town's dying'' - ''It's all the council's fault'', ''it's all the Asians fault''....blah blah blah....get real you numbskulls and go and educate yourselves.