Who would you build a team around?

We know many are not going to be here next season, so who would you build the team around?

Flemming

Hazelll, Gregan

Taylor,

Not sure we quite have half a core decent side at the moment. And to me we need to look at each case, but Defence and striker are most critical. We concede sloppy goals and miss too many easier chances.

The rest need to be filled with better than we have already, I believe. WIth some good backup/to be developed. Others might make a case in the next few games such as Lee, Smalley. etc

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fleming

Hazell

Gregan

Eardley (the one who turned up v Crewe)

NEW LEFT BACK

Taylor

NEW CENTRAL MIDFIELD

NEW CENTRAL MIDFIELD

Smalley with the ability to cross or a new right midfield

Alessandra

NEW BIG CENTRE FORWARD

Dont think thats how joe will think though, think its obvious he doesnt rate allesandra or fleming, and sees taylor as a striker

Hence I would go with

NEW GK (supple prob)

New LB

Eardley

Hazell

Gregan

New LW

New RW

Lee

Allott/Westake

NEW CF (built like brick s :censored: t house)

Taylor

Edited by Lookers_Carl

Dont think thats how joe will think though, think its obvious he doesnt rate allesandra or fleming, and sees taylor as a striker

None of that is obvious.

He's made a confidence building statement about Taylor as a striker (retains that as an option), chosen to play Supple to have a longer look at him with a view to signing him (or not) next season and has yet to play Alessandra in the hole.

Royle knows who's under contract next season and knows who isn't. He's made team selections to try and work out exactly who's up to it and who isn't - who would be worth signing, keeping or ditching.

Edited by opinions4u

None of that is obvious.

He's made a confidence building statement about Taylor as a striker (retains that as an option), chosen to play Supple to have a longer look at him with a view to signing him (or not) next season and has yet to play Alessandra in the hole.

Royle knows who's under contract next season and knows who isn't. He's made team selections to try and work out exactly who's up to it and who isn't - who would be worth signing, keeping or ditching.

I'm sure all will be revealed at the end of the season, if indeed he stays. I personally hope fleming is no1 next season, think with a bit of good coaching he could be a superb keeper. Although if he chooses to sign supple permanent, I would imagine supple will start next season as number 1.

Edited by Lookers_Carl

Fleming + A N Other (maybe Supple)

Eardley

Gregan

New, young but reasonably established/experienced CB (as important as a new goalscorer for me)

New LB

Taylor or new "old fashioned JR style" out and out left winger

Allott/Maher - both still half decent players at this level

New Attacking Mid (Whittaker as cover)

Taylor or new "old fashioned JR style" out and out right winger

3 new strikers - one wise old head (preferably a big lump), one up and comer + A N Other.

Smalley & Allessandra as cover - I think he fancies Allessandra. Using him sparingly maybe because he's already in his plans for next season? Easy to manage player - "keep doing what you're doing but stay on your feet and off your arse a bit more" should just about get the best out of him.

Cover - Stam, Lee, Lomax, Hazell.

If we can get Jones next season:

----------------Fleming-------------------------------

Eardley----Rubes-----Gregan----new left back

Taylor------new cm-----new cm------Jones

-----new striker--------new striker

Subs:

Smalley

Lee

Allott

Stam

New keeper

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

what's Allott done wrong?

one of very few players to come out of this season with any credit whatsoever IMO

It's not so much what he does wrong, it's what else do we want a midfield to do.

Look at the midfield.

Decent players, so often over-run. Allott's a big part of that.

Defence hoofing the ball to bypass the midfield - does the midfield really want the ball? Does it come looking for the ball.

The 4-4-2 since October has been rigid, inflexible and, how can I put it, crap.

My concern about sticking with Allott is that we end up with more of the same.

My concern about ditching him is that we'd end up even worse!

what's Allott done wrong?

one of very few players to come out of this season with any credit whatsoever IMO

Nothing, but he's not good enough for a team pushing for promotion, he's a tackler, and a battler but doesn't have a pass.

Whitaker

Maher

Allott

They came from teams relegated to the division below, they might have been those teams best player but they're not League One promotion material.

We have two high quality young players IMO: Taylor and Eardley.

Smalley and Alessandra are also young and talented and should be at the heart of team-building.

Lee certainly has flair, would like to see him when he is match fit.

Gregan reads the game so well I would like to see us get another season from him.

Lomax is a solid lower division full-back and I would keep him.

Not so sure about anyone else:

Jones, if he wanted to sign up, has a lot to offer but is suspect defensively.

Fleming, I have never seen play badly but both Shez and Joe have been quick to drop him at the first opportunity which makes me wonder.

Hazell and Allott, players I have admired in the past, seem to be much less effective at the moment.

This is the squad we have had this season:

Crossley - getting on a bit (well a lot) but still had something to offer.

Fleming - looks like a very good keeper to me

Eardley - great overlapping defender with a thunderous shot

Lomax - steady eddy full back

Jones - exciting overlapping full back

Hazell - solid defender ... one of the first names on the team sheet

Gregan - reliable, experienced captain

Stam - capable of stepping in. Part of a solid defence last season

Allott - player of the year last season

Whitaker - at last, a midfielder who can get forward and score goals with both feet

Liddell - capable of delivering a great ball

Smalley - loads of pace

Taylor - skill, pace and goals - looks more and more like the complete player for this level

Maher - composure and experience

Lee - exciting young prospect who has captained Man Utd's reserves

Hughes - goal poacher of the highest calibre

Alessandra - link man of great promise

Davies - loads of pace and leading scorer last season

O'Grady - skill and pace, but a lack of goals

I'm sorry, how Shez failed with that lot I don't know. Loads of ability. Why did they let the momentum slip?

How they have performed so poorly for Royle is even more extraordinary.

Something is rotten at the heart of the squad and how Royle deals with this is already making interesting viewing - assuming he takes the job this summer is going to be fascinating.

Whitaker - at last, a midfielder who can get forward and score goals with both feet

Smalley - loads of pace

Taylor - skill, pace and goals - looks more and more like the complete player for this level

I'm sorry, how Shez failed with that lot I don't know. Loads of ability. Why did they let the momentum slip?

Something is rotten at the heart of the squad and how Royle deals with this is already making interesting viewing - assuming he takes the job this summer is going to be fascinating.

his post match comments sum it up why this squad has done so badly.

they think they new better than shez and they now think they know better than joe.

they dont want to be told how to play,they think they know it all already so dont play as a team or in units..ie defence midfield and attack,its all individual.

i hope he rips the team to the bear bones and think he will only keep the players he has praised,plus lee,stephens.

if they dont respect him or show him they care he wont think about it for 2 seconds..he will get rid pronto

he wants young energetic players who have a hunger and a desire to do well,instead of the pile of :censored: we have.if he get rid now he would,but we have 2 games left and have to field a full team.

Smalley - loads of pace

Specs. Tinted. Rose

Peterborough have McClean, Mackail-Smith and Boyd. We had O'Grady, Davies and Allott. 'nuff said.

We know many are not going to be here next season, so who would you build the team around?

Flemming

Hazelll, Gregan

Taylor,

Not sure we quite have half a core decent side at the moment. And to me we need to look at each case, but Defence and striker are most critical. We concede sloppy goals and miss too many easier chances.

The rest need to be filled with better than we have already, I believe. WIth some good backup/to be developed. Others might make a case in the next few games such as Lee, Smalley. etc

my team would be built around graham kavanagh,not sure if he is still at carlisle or not but when he was here earlier in the season he put a masterclass performance in..he made a very ordinary side look good.he dictates the pace of the game and is able to find that killer pass..If i was gaffer i would find 2 graffters either side of him in the middle of the park and 2 good forwards looking for that through ball..alexandra and wolfy are either fighting a long punt from gregan or eardly and they seem to play with their backs to goal all game(not their fault if not getting right service).love to see a good right winger because there isnt a lot of good left backs about at the moment and its a possible source of supply to the forwards.got to get rid of hazell,we cant keep on conceding goals like we do and replace him with a 6ft3 centre half.stam would go as well,,doesnt look the same player since that bad injury.Iwant to see my full backs overlapping especially at home.All the goalkeepers on the books lack height,i would get a 6ft 3 keeper in straight away..I would play taylor in the hole between the forwards and the midfield linking up with kavanagh,he would be a great threat from there..i dont see him as an out and out forward,i cant see him scoring enough goals,he is better running at players.