Happy St.George's Day

Happy St. Georges day, the patron saint of Aragon, Catalonia, England, Ethiopia, Georgia, Greece, Lithuania, Palestine, Portugal, and Russia, as well as the cities of Amersfoort, Beirut, Bteghrine, Cáceres, Ferrara, Freiburg, Genoa, Ljubljana, Gozo, Pomorie, Qormi, Lod and Moscow, Scouting, as well as a wide range of professions, organizations and disease sufferers.

Happy St. Georges day, the patron saint of Aragon, Catalonia, England, Ethiopia, Georgia, Greece, Lithuania, Palestine, Portugal, and Russia, as well as the cities of Amersfoort, Beirut, Bteghrine, Cáceres, Ferrara, Freiburg, Genoa, Ljubljana, Gozo, Pomorie, Qormi, Lod and Moscow, Scouting, as well as a wide range of professions, organizations and disease sufferers.

Happy St. Georges day!!! However the above does beg the question, why do we associate our Patrons Saint Day as also a day that we celebrate Englishness?

How about this for a Patron Saint. Born in England, as a boy he is kidnapped by invaders from another country. After 6 years he goes back to England only to return to the other country as a missionary where he converts many of the local people to the Christian faith, the faith of England. The converting country now celebrate this chap as their own patron saint and i've heard on the grape line, it can be quite a party????

Was thinking about this today, now its St Georges day, and people say "well he wasn't English so how can we have this as out national day?". It's William Shakespeare's birthday today...why not just name the day after him and have it as the English national day and a public holiday?

How about this for a Patron Saint. Born in England, as a boy he is kidnapped by invaders from another country. After 6 years he goes back to England only to return to the other country as a missionary where he converts many of the local people to the Christian faith, the faith of England. The converting country now celebrate this chap as their own patron saint and i've heard on the grape line, it can be quite a party????

Even on St George’s Day you are taking a liberty claiming Christianity as an English invention :wink:

And Patrick was Roman stock rather than native British, and was born and raised in Scotland...

It's a bit like being an exiled Latics fan - we must continue our missionary work to convert local people to the Faith. :ktf:

P.S. Converting Oldhamers is a much tougher challenge! :unsure:

The White Horse Hill at Uffington overlooks Dragon Hill., a prominent natural outcrop. Legend says that the hill was so named because it was the site of the great battle between St. George and the Dragon. When St. George finally struck the fatal blow, the dragon's blood gushed out onto the hilltop and, as everyone can see today, the grass has refused to grow there ever since.

3468304429_a730dbbe9e_o.jpg

I took the picture on my way to this season’s match at Swindon.

I go down Manchester Road to work, Diego. Can't say I noticed any flags about. Not that I was actually lookingout for them. Certainly not in the same mould as Royton see's every single April 23rd.

Opinions4U. Sure they were paid for by the locals. Well locals who are part of a certain organisation.

Edited by Rocky_Latic

Has anyone noticed whether Chapel Road, and its junction with Manchester Road near the Bridgewater pub, is awash with flags as usual on this day?

I think they just leave them up all year round.

On a quite unrelated note, purely out of interest because I spent most of my life living just off Stanley Road, when did the Golden Buck close?

Has anyone noticed whether Chapel Road, and its junction with Manchester Road near the Bridgewater pub, is awash with flags as usual on this day?

It most certainly is, and what a splendid sight it is too.

Nearly every boozer I have passed in the Borough is decked out too...plenty of people walking around town tonight with England shirts, hats and a few with flags.