Should Gregan retain the captaincy?

It was reported on here that as Gregan was leaving the pitch last Saturday, walking behind the other players, he removed his captain's armband and threw it on the floor. He didn't wear it during the second half.

It may be that nobody at the Club realised what had happened and I don't know whether the ref noticed it was missing. My question in the thread heading arises from wondering should we be bothered about our captain treating his armband in that way, or if he applauds the fans at the end of each game, is that all that matters? Is he not happy with the captain's responsibilities? :unsure:

To me it's just another inexplicable incident in a series which leaves me desperate for the season to end. I wonder what others think about it.

wasn't there,but i have one question for anyone who was.

was it taken off in malice or maybe because there was a problem with it staying on his arm-the elastic snapped or something similar?

be waste of thread really if it was a wardrobe malfunction eh?

I was watching him leave the field so I saw the incident. He pulled it gradually down his arm (not malfunctioning) and I thought that's probably what he does at half-time. Them, as he removed it, I was amazed when he threw it on the floor - no apparent malice, but definitely thrown rather than dropped accidently. I wondered if it was disposable, but he was not wearing an armband in the second half.

I took a photo of the armband on the floor and then told the story to anyone who cared to listen, as I was so flabbergasted to have seen it.

Anger based on the first half performance? Leave him with the armband.

Knowledge that he won't be here next season? Doesn't matter anyway.

Been told he won't be captain next season? Doesn't matter anyway.

Insulted by contract offer for next season (or lack of)? Withdraw the offer and remove the captaincy.

Perhaps things will be clearer tomorrow when Dale Stephens runs out with the armband round his knee.

I think Maher would make an excellent captain. Doubt he'll be here next season though (and still got issues with the midfield with him in or out of it).

Edited by opinions4u

It was reported on here that as Gregan was leaving the pitch last Saturday, walking behind the other players, he removed his captain's armband and threw it on the floor. He didn't wear it during the second half.

It may be that nobody at the Club realised what had happened and I don't know whether the ref noticed it was missing. My question in the thread heading arises from wondering should we be bothered about our captain treating his armband in that way, or if he applauds the fans at the end of each game, is that all that matters? Is he not happy with the captain's responsibilities? :unsure:

To me it's just another inexplicable incident in a series which leaves me desperate for the season to end. I wonder what others think about it.

Can I be the first to call this incident "Armband-gate"? :grin:

I too saw the said incident has I was watching Gregan trudge of the Brighton pitch. Also made the comment to Jacko that I felt it was wrong of him to do so. Gregan throw it down onto the running track just prior to him going down the tunnel into the dressing room. However I did notice it had been retrieved by the second half and I am pretty sure he was wearing it second half. I had supposedly checked after seeing the incident in the first place. However you struggle to see the goal posts at Brighton let alone an armband.

.. I am pretty sure he was wearing it second half. I had supposedly checked after seeing the incident in the first place. However you struggle to see the goal posts at Brighton let alone an armband.

I and others (some wearing specs) checked throughout the second half, and as he walked off at the end, and confirmed unanimously that he was not wearing it.

I and others (some wearing specs) checked throughout the second half, and as he walked off at the end, and confirmed unanimously that he was not wearing it.

in the grand scheme of things....does it really matter that much...

he has been supposedly a model pro since joe took over,and had endless praise,maybe he took it off and sat in the dressing room just accepting the bolloking that they got,came out second half and improved.

maybe he is fed up with being captain of a disfunctioning team and just wants to play his game...

not really bothered either way,not exactly bragging rights is it,being captain of that lot in this division.

in the grand scheme of things....does it really matter that much...

he has been supposedly a model pro since joe took over,and had endless praise,maybe he took it off and sat in the dressing room just accepting the bolloking that they got,came out second half and improved.

maybe he is fed up with being captain of a disfunctioning team and just wants to play his game...

not really bothered either way,not exactly bragging rights is it,being captain of that lot in this division.

OR he's looked at his own contribution!!!

Gregan, IMO, has never been a captain at this club...and never will be!!! Just hasn't got the skills to do it and it's shown over his Latics career. Lambasting players endlessly for their mistakes and at times, blaming them for his own and just his general "captaincy" has never been a productive one IMO. Can't say I've ever seen him put an arm around a player and encourage them...esp the younger ones. Sadly, neither Eardley nor Allott has had the ability to do it either. So we've "made do"...another failing in the Shez department IMO.

Edited by boundaryblue80