How good was Joe Royle 2nd time around ?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IIRC we both said at the time that the decision to sack Shez was the wrong one, though I stand to be corrected on your point of view.

I wouldn't say it was impossible to do it...we effectively had a mini nine game season to finish above Tranmere and Scunthorpe. It was a tall order, but it was never impossible. His target was to do it, and he believed he could. He didn't. He's made the best of the bad situation, yes, but it was the on-pitch failure that presented that particular scenario.

I cant think of one manager to ever pull something like that off...

It a different senior completly to keeping a side up...

I cant think of one manager to ever pull something like that off...

It a different senior completly to keeping a side up...

I can't think of any one club daft enough to sack their manager with nine games to go when they've just dropped out of the playoffs for the first time.

IIRC we both said at the time that the decision to sack Shez was the wrong one,

although I wasn't calling for his head I thought it was the right decision.

in hindsight I think we might have made the playoffs or would definately have been a lot closer if we'd given him til the end of the season.

i was ecstatic with us getting JR back - it didn't work.

regardless I'm glad we've got owners who had the balls to make that throw of the dice to try and get us up.

I can't think of any one club daft enough to sack their manager with nine games to go when they've just dropped out of the playoffs for the first time.

Shez was sacked and Royle was brought in to stop the slide.

Royle didn't stop the slide.

Anyone could have come in and got rid of the dead wood. The other coaching staff could have done that.

It was a nice idea but didn't work.

Look at the results from this side since the end of November, thats three and a half whole sorry months of John Sheridan. Where this side was sliding outta the top six in a never ending slide. It's nowt to do with Joe Royle that. He was brought in as a last gasp effort to halt that long slide, it couldn't be turned around. The club was in turmoil from one player's balls up to another from unprofessionalism that had deep seated roots. The club had increased it's budget considerably chasing promotion due to our lofty position, more so than the club initially wanted to do. But the gamble was taken on in the vain attempt to get up. Once that slide continued and Joe quite rightly told TTA that elements within the camp were a cancer the club choose to cut it's losses and Joe was the man to do it.

As for Joe wanted the job long term listen to his last interview on Latics World. The clue is in there. When asked had he ever considered taking the job full time his answer was clear. He came in to help out for 9 games however, had he won his first 6 and on such events decisions change. He went on to drop the pearler. I quote "had someone come in and said lets have a right go" then maybe. Was that man Wardle? I would hazzard a guess and said yes. It doesn't mean Joe turns his back cos purely the cash wasn't there in bundles, it means at his age to build slowly isn't the right time in his career, it's a younger mans game that. It needs a younger man to spend time at 3 reserve games a week and non league too as well as Latics matches. Like he had done first time around. Joe as done this club an untold amount of good in a very short time.

Edited by Lags

But that just assumes that the run of form would have continued. It may have, it may not have. We don't know.

I, and several others said at the time, it was a bollocks decision by a bunch of people in charge who bottled it. It was never going to end pretty once that was done. But Royles reign II was frankly :censored:e. To say he has done untold good, that would have been done at the end of the season anyway is inconsequential.

But that just assumes that the run of form would have continued. It may have, it may not have. We don't know.

I, and several others said at the time, it was a bollocks decision by a bunch of people in charge who bottled it. It was never going to end pretty once that was done. But Royles reign II was frankly :censored:e. To say he has done untold good, that would have been done at the end of the season anyway is inconsequential.

ok. My thoughts are on record, likewise yours.

There was genuinely nothing to suggest it was going to end. The players looked like losers and the manager looked clueless. Retaining Sheridan meant not making the play-offs.

I, and several others said at the time, it was a bollocks decision by a bunch of people in charge who bottled it.

I wish they'd been braver and done it sooner. I think they took the decision at what looked like the best time to do it. They bottled nothing.

It was never going to end pretty once that was done.

The fact that the players simply couldn't lift themselves once a new manager came in said it all. The rot was too deep set to recover from.

But Royles reign II was frankly :censored:e.

On the pitch it's pretty hard to argue. They looked like they were still playing for Sheridan.

To say he has done untold good, that would have been done at the end of the season anyway is inconsequential.

He did what needed doing to give a new manager a clear run at things. That gives us a start in the transfer window to secure the best we can get.

I prefer that to sacking Sheridan this weekend, spending a month finding a new manager who then settles in to a new role, stuck with existing players he doesn't really want and unable to get the best available talent because it's no longer available.

Edited by opinions4u

There was genuinely nothing to suggest it was going to end. The players looked like losers and the manager looked clueless. Retaining Sheridan meant not making the play-offs.

I wish they'd been braver and done it sooner. I think they took the decision at what looked like the best time to do it. They bottled nothing.

The fact that the players simply couldn't lift themselves once a new manager came in said it all. The rot was too deep set to recover from.

On the pitch it's pretty hard to argue. They looked like they were still playing for Sheridan.

He did what needed doing to give a new manager a clear run at things. That gives us a start in the transfer window to secure the best we can get.

I prefer that to sacking Sheridan this weekend, spending a month finding a new manager who then settles in to a new role, stuck with existing players he doesn't really want and unable to get the best available talent because it's no longer available.

Fairy Nuff. That's how two people can read a situation differently. As mentioned earlier, it's done now. Onward and (hopefully) upward.

First off, no need for the abusive comment.

Secondly, I can'tthink anyoner thinks it is Royle's fault. I think some are thinking Sheridan should have been given the opportunity to see things through, one way or another.

Thirdly, tell him to support United? Why not eat his children?

Edited by Lookers_Carl

First off, no need for the abusive comment.

Secondly, I can'tthink anyoner thinks it is Royle's fault. I think some are thinking Sheridan should have been given the opportunity to see things through, one way or another.

Thirdly, tell him to support United? Why not eat his children?

what you on about....hes openly admitted the whole season was ruined because royle didnt get us in play offs...that bloke has done more for this club than any other bloke ever and to publicly slag him off like he has,,,,,well

what you on about....hes openly admitted the whole season was ruined because royle didnt get us in play offs...that bloke has done more for this club than any other bloke ever and to publicly slag him off like he has,,,,,well

A very selective reading. What he has said is that it was a crap decision to sack Sheridan and that Royle hasn't done what we wanted him to do. He's not wrong.

Is it Royle's fault? I'd say "No", but after the slaughtering OAFFC00000000000000000000000001 has received I think I'll refrain from saying who's fault it is too often.

Absolute rubbish. I'm sorry, he's done a good job of 'clearing the decks', but he's completely failed on the football side of things.

The playoffs were not long gone, we were one point off.

there it is in black and white......completely failed......

what about sheridan,,,why doesnt he say sheridan completely failed by not getting us in the play offs when it looked odds on we would be there....joe was brought in to stop a sinking ship,,unfortunatly the ship had already sunk

there it is in black and white......completely failed......

what about sheridan,,,why doesnt he say sheridan completely failed by not getting us in the play offs when it looked odds on we would be there....joe was brought in to stop a sinking ship,,unfortunatly the ship had already sunk

Ah. Different question. Did Sheridan fail? I would say yes. Fail to the point of being sacked near the end of the season? No.

the damage had been done

the club was in turmoil

tta at wits end

didnt know which way to turn

he had to go

Was it all Sheridans fault ? I dont think for a second it was... Yet he paid the price.... Current problems didnt go away when Joe joined the club... Tells me a lot that...

Did Shez even bring the two biggest trouble causers to the club ? I know he didnt bring in Hughes... Who brought in Windass ??

Also when you read some of the stuff suggested on here....aka club officals covering up acts which could of led to Hughes going back to prision...if true ( and I have no idea if the claim made was true or not) this would say the problems run deeper...

Edited by oafc0000

if tta didnt sack him and let him run out the season and finish with 4 less points than we have already imo..,i think they would have had thousands bangin the door down asking why didnt they get rid of him earlier if you was serious about getting promotion..not even houdini would have got us promoted this season with this set of terds playing for us

if tta didnt sack him and let him run out the season and finish with 4 less points than we have already imo..,i think they would have had thousands bangin the door down asking why didnt they get rid of him earlier if you was serious about getting promotion..not even houdini would have got us promoted this season with this set of terds playing for us

If your getting rid you doing it in Jan or you do it in May...

Not with nine games to go....

What was Sheridan's fault?

The drinking culture -Yes.

The standard of player - No (due to money)

Signing of current players - Unkown, but I believe yes.

Results - Yes, but they were alright when he was there.

TTA/fans bottling it - No.

It was a bit of both. He wasn't faultless, but to say the decision in my eyes to sack him was wrong is an understatement (as people may have gathered).