How good was Joe Royle 2nd time around ?

What's the score George Dawes? How many points have we achieved since Joe Royle took over from Shez. The answer is not many - we haven't won a single game - and we are now languishing in mid table after going for the play offs when he took over and got rid of Hughes who would have scored goals for us.

Good Bye Joe - you've had your day. Let's see if the new manager can produce top table results that our team is capable of.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the score George Dawes? How many points have we achieved since Joe Royle took over from Shez. The answer is not many - we haven't won a single game - and we are now languishing in mid table after going for the play offs when he took over and got rid of Hughes who would have scored goals for us.

Good Bye Joe - you've had your day. Let's see if the new manager can produce top table results that our team is capable of.

do i detect a sly grin from mister sheridan. :wink:

Joe actually acheived a lot. The play off's were lost along with the form and fitness of the squad a long time prior to Joe. He has managed to clear out the decks and Dave Penney as got a great empty base on which to build his team, playing his way to jump straight out the blocks. I think he's also helped Corney refresh his approach, I think he too had slacked a bit in what was needed from him. Got himself rapped up in the professional big time player syndrome and enjoyed it too much swept along with the slack Sheridan regime.

Royle as yet again shown his affection for the club and conducted himself fantastically well, like the ambassador he is for this club.

Joe actually acheived a lot. The play off's were lost along with the form and fitness of the squad a long time prior to Joe. He has managed to clear out the decks and Dave Penney as got a great empty base on which to build his team, playing his way to jump straight out the blocks. I think he's also helped Corney refresh his approach, I think he too had slacked a bit in what was needed from him. Got himself rapped up in the professional big time player syndrome and enjoyed it too much swept along with the slack Sheridan regime.

Royle as yet again shown his affection for the club and conducted himself fantastically well, like the ambassador he is for this club.

Good summary Lags. Maybe Joe should be known as "The Cleaner" from now on.

Edited by martjs

i agree with these points but it really cannot be said that he achieved a lot

i agree with these points but it really cannot be said that he achieved a lot

Come off it, the damage was done well before Joe arrived, the rot had well and truly set in. Wins were sparse, other teams had 2 or 3 games in hand around us and Joe was effectively given a box of kleenex to plug the dam..Joe has been nothing but honest in highlighting both his and the team's shortcoming over the last eight games. We'll see the legacy of which next Monday morning when half the squad and coaching squad will be released and rightly so by DP.

Not to pick a point, but the playoffs were not lost before Sheridan got sacked (they were after).

The thing is, sometimes when you bring in a temporary manager (even Joe), the players know he is just that and don't bother playing.

He got rid of a few players, but they were off at the end of the year anyway. So really all that was achieved is that we have no idea what would have happened under Sheridan resultswise, we just know it couldn't be this bad. We have saved a few grand on getting rid of some players that were off anyway - which we may have saved if we'd have had better results, which may have happened under Sheridan (we just don't know). In short, less than not alot. Well, nothing at all.

I hope he stays around for many more seasons to come. A man with a wealth of experience of many divisions is always handy to have around and Penney's sky interview said he would not be afraid to ask JR either

Lets look foward to a good win on Sat with a great season to come...

I hope he stays around for many more seasons to come. A man with a wealth of experience of many divisions is always handy to have around and Penney's sky interview said he would not be afraid to ask JR either

Lets look foward to a good win on Sat with a great season to come...

Shame he could only come up with a reserve keeper and a midfielder from a team being relegated. At the same time getting rid of of one the top scorers in the division. Hardly boosted the team.

Not to pick a point, but the playoffs were not lost before Sheridan got sacked (they were after).

The thing is, sometimes when you bring in a temporary manager (even Joe), the players know he is just that and don't bother playing.

He got rid of a few players, but they were off at the end of the year anyway. So really all that was achieved is that we have no idea what would have happened under Sheridan resultswise, we just know it couldn't be this bad. We have saved a few grand on getting rid of some players that were off anyway - which we may have saved if we'd have had better results, which may have happened under Sheridan (we just don't know). In short, less than not alot. Well, nothing at all.

Check out our results and form from the end of November. You'll find that it's not worth picking that point. I believe Sheridan was still at the helm during three and a half months from that point.

Shame he could only come up with a reserve keeper and a midfielder from a team being relegated. At the same time getting rid of of one the top scorers in the division. Hardly boosted the team.

Not really sure how much of a say he had with Hughes myself, but it was a daft thing to do for me, whoever did it.

Check out our results and form from the end of November. You'll find that it's not worth picking that point. I believe Sheridan was still at the helm during three and a half months from that point.

Yes, we had a bad run of form. What would happen we'll never know. All that we do know, pretty much, is that he would have struggled to get results this bad. However, the playoffs were not gone. They may have been in the process of going, but it wasn't like we were out of touch (see Tranmere's position now).

i dont believe in going back a 2nd time, just remember joe for what he did plus you have the added bonus......hes proven he loves your club! that man gets my respect.

agreed and still wants to be at the club even in an advisory capacity...can you name anymore ex-managers who wanna do that? we need all the help we can get in any way shape or form. JR's name has clout to bring in hopefully some useful players

Yes, we had a bad run of form. What would happen we'll never know. All that we do know, pretty much, is that he would have struggled to get results this bad. However, the playoffs were not gone. They may have been in the process of going, but it wasn't like we were out of touch (see Tranmere's position now).

The playoffs were gone long before Joe arrived.

The rarely wrong Chron quoted from Joe's press conference after being appointed.

I have been thrown an opportunity to be at Wembley in May which is fantastic. It was an easy decision to make. This club has always been very special to me.”

ATHLETIC’S position in the Coca-Cola League One promotion race was instrumental in Joe Royle’s decision to return to Boundary Park.

The 59-year-old, manager during the most successful chapter in the club’s history, admitted he would not have taken the post had Athletic not been challenging for the play-offs.

"I don't think there would have been much point at this stage of my career," he conceded.

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-fea...-couldnt-refuse

You cant lay this seasons issues at Joes door...

Absolute rubbish. I'm sorry, he's done a good job of 'clearing the decks', but he's completely failed on the football side of things.

The playoffs were not long gone, we were one point off.

Agreed.

Mathematically they were very much alive when Joe arrived but the spirit, commitment and drive had long since left the building.

Joe will be deeply disappointed with the way the results have gone but he's made some tough decisions on behalf of TTA.

Hopefully he'll sign off with a win this Saturday.

He was given a next to impossible task!!!

Some people really do want rabbits out of hats...

Or at least one win in the last nine games from a side who have been in the top six all season.

He has failed on the footballing side, we haven't even shown signs of remotely challenging since he came in. We have, instead, fallen further down the table. He was brought in to arrest the slide. He hasn't done that, therefore on the footballing side, has failed.

He wouldn't have shipped out Hughes had we beaten Tranmere or Cheltenham. Thanks for 'clearing the decks', but that wasn't what we were looking for...was it?

Or at least one win in the last nine games from a side who have been in the top six all season.

He has failed on the footballing side, we haven't even shown signs of remotely challenging since he came in. We have, instead, fallen further down the table. He was brought in to arrest the slide. He hasn't done that, therefore on the footballing side, has failed.

He wouldn't have shipped out Hughes had we beaten Tranmere or Cheltenham. Thanks for 'clearing the decks', but that wasn't what we were looking for...was it?

Your not looking at things in context...

Technically he had nine games... In reality he had two games... We needed wins and quick... After not winning the first two his role at the club changed...

For me he didnt failed... He just didnt achieved something thats never been done before... and something I stated couldnt be done at the time...

You CAN NOT sack your manager with nine games to go and get promotion...its just goes agaisnt logic...

The point we sacked Sheridan was the point we sealed our fate for this term...

Edited by oafc0000

Your not looking at things in context...

Technically he had nine games... In reality he had two games... We needed wins and quick... After not winning the first two his role at the club changed...

For me he didnt failed... He just didnt achieved something thats never been done before... and something I stated couldnt be done at the time...

You CAN NOT sack your manager with nine games to go and get promotion...its just goes agaisnt logic...

The point we sacked Sheridan was the point we sealed our fate for this term...

Bollocks

Edited by MaskedOwl

IIRC we both said at the time that the decision to sack Shez was the wrong one, though I stand to be corrected on your point of view.

I wouldn't say it was impossible to do it...we effectively had a mini nine game season to finish above Tranmere and Scunthorpe. It was a tall order, but it was never impossible. His target was to do it, and he believed he could. He didn't. He's made the best of the bad situation, yes, but it was the on-pitch failure that presented that particular scenario.