An oldness about the place

Interesting comments from Joe in the Chron:

“It not only involves the team, but the place as a whole which needs a lick of paint.

“I have mentioned a lot of things which may help make this club a Championship side again.”

Royle admitted he might have stayed on if he had won half a dozen games or if former Manchester City chairman John Wardle or somebody else had come forward to invest in the club.

He said: “The owners here are ambitious, but that ambition will have to match reality and there are very few clubs which can do otherwise.

“The old club is still here and in many ways it has not moved forward. There is still an oldness about the place. It is cosy and warm, but it needs a vitality."

That's the problem with Latics. The club never moves forward even when there's a sniff of success, as in the early nineties. That's why we've been left behind by similar clubs in similar towns, for years our local rivals in the same division (or below us.) All now playing at a higher level in modern stadiums.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting comments from Joe in the Chron:

“It not only involves the team, but the place as a whole which needs a lick of paint.

“I have mentioned a lot of things which may help make this club a Championship side again.”

Royle admitted he might have stayed on if he had won half a dozen games or if former Manchester City chairman John Wardle or somebody else had come forward to invest in the club.

He said: “The owners here are ambitious, but that ambition will have to match reality and there are very few clubs which can do otherwise.

“The old club is still here and in many ways it has not moved forward. There is still an oldness about the place. It is cosy and warm, but it needs a vitality."

That's the problem with Latics. The club never moves forward even when there's a sniff of success, as in the early nineties. That's why we've been left behind by similar clubs in similar towns, for years our local rivals in the same division (or below us.) All now playing at a higher level in modern stadiums.

Good for them. Let's worry about the next fifteen years not the last.

Good for them. Let's worry about the next fifteen years not the last.

Believe me, some of us are worried about the next fifteen years. Although if we don't get out of this division, and get the stadium redeveloped, I doubt if there are fifteen years left in the club.

Change the record.........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Here here....I should have known better than to open a thread initiated by the Coporal of Doom....the man has to be a wind-up merchant or clinically insane...having an opinion is fine, but no-one would go on about it every bleeding day, surely to god ?????????????

I'd agree.

And as you agree that it's not just Latics, but the town, you might also do well to watch Simon Corney's interview from Thursday. More comments about the council AGAIN dragging their feet and frustrating plans. Ok, we don't know the ins and outs of this (maybe the Council have reason this time, who knows) but the club is something the Council and Town could try and help and build decent amenities around to progress in many ways. Isn't the case...the club is and always has been on it's own and has the burden of apathy like a ball and chain. Progress is slow, made worse (or turned back on itself by current economic climates) but TTA show and speak as a set-up that does want to move forward. They've had little luck or help along the way (apart from a good 1,500 who marched)...

And as you agree that it's not just Latics, but the town, you might also do well to watch Simon Corney's interview from Thursday. More comments about the council AGAIN dragging their feet and frustrating plans. Ok, we don't know the ins and outs of this (maybe the Council have reason this time, who knows) but the club is something the Council and Town could try and help and build decent amenities around to progress in many ways. Isn't the case...the club is and always has been on it's own and has the burden of apathy like a ball and chain. Progress is slow, made worse (or turned back on itself by current economic climates) but TTA show and speak as a set-up that does want to move forward. They've had little luck or help along the way (apart from a good 1,500 who marched)...

oldham is a poorer relation to ashton..the regeneration taking place in ashton puts oldham to shame..without knowing the ratio of persons per acre...hazarding a guess oldham is without doubt the bigger town....what have we got..fcuk all..no cinema no bowling alley a decaying and dying market a town that is beset with unruly behaviour decay and apathy..but dont worrry

we have the latics :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: and they can't take thatfrom us...can they

we have the latics :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: and they can't take thatfrom us...can they

Well...we only have 5yrs left of "The Clause"...this being the one inserted into the contract of sale from The Council to TTA that Football must be played on the site for a minimum of 10yrs. The clock is ticking...

Edited by boundaryblue80

Here here....I should have known better than to open a thread initiated by the Coporal of Doom....the man has to be a wind-up merchant or clinically insane...having an opinion is fine, but no-one would go on about it every bleeding day, surely to god ?????????????

It's hear, hear not here here. Here here doesn't even make sense. Try educating yourself before you condemn people as insane, there's a good fellow.

Every opinion on here is repeated endlessly in one form or another. What gets the goat of the likes of you is that you have no ability to face reality. Happy clappers, funnily enough, are seldom if ever christened wind-up merchants.

And I'll point out again that the sentiments expressed in the opening post are not mine but Joe Royle's.

Whatever the reasons, the inability to get the stadium redevelopment off the ground is deeply troubling.

It's hear, hear not here here. Here here doesn't even make sense. Try educating yourself before you condemn people as insane, there's a good fellow.

Every opinion on here is repeated endlessly in one form or another. What gets the goat of the likes of you is that you have no ability to face reality. Happy clappers, funnily enough, are seldom if ever christened wind-up merchants.

And I'll point out again that the sentiments expressed in the opening post are not mine but Joe Royle's.

It's the fact that you've hit the nail on the head that's hard to take for some people, they prefer to see things in black & white, keep their heads down and carry on regardless. Bit like Smalley on a long blind alley run.

I'd say that Royle's comments would equally sum up the town in general, not just latics.

And, dare I say it, some of the fans, who still seem to be living in the early 90's.

Id say on the whole the appointment of Penney has been quite well received but I bet some of the coffin dodgers will take exception to it.

Heres a poser (will be especially interested in your opinion on this Corp)

If we were faced with staying where we are and continuing to rot, with the council continuing to be a hindrance to the stadium development

OR

Consider a move just across the border to Tameside IF tameside council were somewhat more enthusiastic about a stadium project, and increase the chances of seeing the club prosper?

If it was my choice, I would choose the latter, as to me, us having our home ground in tameside is only on the same scale as Bolton having their home ground in Horwich

Opinions?

It's the fact that you've hit the nail on the head that's hard to take for some people, they prefer to see things in black & white, keep their heads down and carry on regardless. Bit like Smalley on a long blind alley run.

It seems to escape the majority of those who bother posting on here that facile, baseless optimism alone never helped advance (or, dare I say it, saved) a football club.

And, dare I say it, some of the fans, who still seem to be living in the early 90's.

Id say on the whole the appointment of Penney has been quite well received but I bet some of the coffin dodgers will take exception to it.

Heres a poser (will be especially interested in your opinion on this Corp)

If we were faced with staying where we are and continuing to rot, with the council continuing to be a hindrance to the stadium development

OR

Consider a move just across the border to Tameside IF tameside council were somewhat more enthusiastic about a stadium project, and increase the chances of seeing the club prosper?

If it was my choice, I would choose the latter, as to me, us having our home ground in tameside is only on the same scale as Bolton having their home ground in Horwich

Opinions?

Or Manure playing in Trafford as opposed to the city of Manchester. Without doubt I would plump for Tameside, as long as we kept our name. There is no time to hang around waiting for Godot.

You could say that Bolton, Preston, Burnley or Blackburn fans were living in the 1920s or 1950s when they were down where we are but expected better. It didn't stop them from recovering at least some of their lost glories.

Or Manure playing in Trafford as opposed to the city of Manchester. Without doubt I would plump for Tameside, as long as we kept our name. There is no time to hang around waiting for Godot.

Considering the amount of money, time and effort invested by TTA in the Oldham Arena plan, it may (but not necessarily) require a change of ownership before any such idea is given real consideration.

As for the most inappropriate literary reference of the day... see above!

Just to add to that last post, after the decades in which we began to compete with those above-mentioned more illustrious Lancashire neighbours, and going on to surpass them, increasing our fanbase as a result, there is now a danger that we could turn ourselves into a club like Bury, who after a taste of glory (albeit a very long time ago) and time spent at the higher level, slipped into a decline that it's proved impossible to recover from, losing much of their fanbase in the process, and always to be limited by their minnow status and reputation.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Considering the amount of money, time and effort invested by TTA in the Oldham Arena plan, it may (but not necessarily) require a change of ownership before any such idea is given real consideration.

As for the most inappropriate literary reference of the day... see above!

It is appropriate if we consider the last fifteen years as a whole, and the attitude of possibly a majority of hardcore fans. TTA are the exceptions when it ocmes to OAFC rather than being typical.

Nobody has suggested that a move to Tameside is a real possibility.

Just to add to that last post, after the decades in which we began to compete with those above-mentioned more illustrious Lancashire neighbours, and going on to surpass them, increasing our fanbase as a result, there is now a danger that we could turn ourselves into a club like Bury, who after a taste of glory (albeit a very long time ago) and time spent at the higher level, slipped into a decline that it's proved impossible to recover from, losing much of their fanbase in the process, and always to be limited by their minnow status and reputation.

So you keep :censored: telling us.

It's not the message you repeat that gets my 'goat' at all....it's the FACT you repeat it every day. I totally respect your view point, and, guess what, I acutally I agree with some of it. But what I and, seemingly, many others don't like is you saying the SAME stuff EVERY day. Do you not bore yourself ?

You know what, I don't think I have EVER seen a post from you that has not been related to the 'decline of OAFC'.....

Anyway, well done - you've just landed a big 'un.

Edited by Lookers_Carl
swearing