An oldness about the place

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you keep :censored: telling us.

It's not the message you repeat that gets my 'goat' at all....it's the FACT you repeat it every day. I totally respect your view point, and, guess what, I acutally I agree with some of it. But what I and, seemingly, many others don't like is you saying the SAME stuff EVERY day. Do you not bore yourself ?

You know what, I don't think I have EVER seen a post from you that has not been related to the 'decline of OAFC'.....

Anyway, well done - you've just landed a big 'un.

Have you ever thought that, when it comes to the club, the subject of its decline is the only when that I'm particularly interested in discussing? What bores me is people who like to cry about what other people write, for the sake of crying about it.

Don't like it-don't read it. Simple!

Have you ever thought that, when it comes to the club, the subject of its decline is the only when that I'm particularly interested in discussing? What bores me is people who like to cry about what other people write, for the sake of crying about it.

Don't like it-don't read it. Simple!

But until he's read it , he won't know if he likes it.

Just to add to that last post, after the decades in which we began to compete with those above-mentioned more illustrious Lancashire neighbours, and going on to surpass them, increasing our fanbase as a result, there is now a danger that we could turn ourselves into a club like Bury, who after a taste of glory (albeit a very long time ago) and time spent at the higher level, slipped into a decline that it's proved impossible to recover from, losing much of their fanbase in the process, and always to be limited by their minnow status and reputation.

Bury are on the up looks like they might be going up this season. p.s you do go on about the same things everyday there is no denying that.

Bury are on the up looks like they might be going up this season. p.s you do go on about the same things everyday there is no denying that.

I don't even post every day.

Whether Bury are going up this season or not, their status in the game was long ago reduced to one of an eternal minnow. The last fifteen years indicate that we are going the same way. Two of our natural local rivals over the generation between the mid-seventies to late nineties are in the Championship play-offs. One of two other local rivals we rearely met during this time will provide us with a local derby next season. If we top 7,500 for the game at BP we'll be crowing. That's how bad things have become in the last fifteen years.

Or Manure playing in Trafford as opposed to the city of Manchester.

Dont understand why people keep going on about this. Trafford is a borough of Manchester. Dont we play in Royton? We would have no chance of building a ground on the Tommyfield market and Manure would have no chance of building one on Deansgate. Only the Loons in Newcastle would be daft enough to have a ground in the middle of the shopping centre......

Dont understand why people keep going on about this. Trafford is a borough of Manchester. Dont we play in Royton? We would have no chance of building a ground on the Tommyfield market and Manure would have no chance of building one on Deansgate. Only the Loons in Newcastle would be daft enough to have a ground in the middle of the shopping centre......

Trafford is not a borough of Manchester but a seperate Metropolitan Borough (or Metropilitan District?), and comprising of places as diverse as Old Trafford, Sale and Altrincham. People in such places pay Council Tax to Trafford council, not to Manchester, and are governed locally by Trafford Council. Both Trafford and Manchester are, like Oldham, a part of the now largely symbolic county of Greater Manchester. Although the district of Old Trafford is historically part of the city of Manchester, since 1974, when local government was reformed, it hasn't been in official terms. Manchester United therefore play outside the city boundaries.

Royton is a part of Oldham Metropolitan Borough. Roytoners pay their Council Tax to, and are governened locally by Oldham Council.

Amazing how this issue of official boundaries continues to cause confusion after almost four decades. Don't people read their Council Tax bills?

Edited by Corporal_Jones

But surely the people of trafford class thereslelves as mancunians? What i mean is theyre not outside of greater manchester. Like the Mk Wimbledon fiasco!

So surely there must be more clubs in this situation? BTW, whats the only league club thats name doesnt refer to where they come/hail from?

But surely the people of trafford class thereslelves as mancunians? What i mean is theyre not outside of greater manchester. Like the Mk Wimbledon fiasco!

So surely there must be more clubs in this situation? BTW, whats the only league club thats name doesnt refer to where they come/hail from?

Those who go back generations in those parts of Trafford that are historically Manchester might well do. Those whose origins are in those parts of Trafford that are, for instance, historically Cheshire, probably don't, although they may well identify with Manchester as the nearest big city.

Being part of Greater Manchester doesn't make anybody Mancunian unless they're actually from the city of Manchester. People in Trafford are no more Mancunian because they live in Trafford than people living in Oldham or, say, Bolton are Mancunian just because we are part of Greater Manchester.

Don't know about your last question, although it's probably obvious after a moment's thought.

Port Vale ? From Burslem

Arsenal ? From Highbury now even if originally Woolwich

QPR ? Shephjerds Bush

Leeds ? from Hell

Edited by LaticsPete

Leeds ? from Hell

Smiley :)

Well...we only have 5yrs left of "The Clause"...this being the one inserted into the contract of sale from The Council to TTA that Football must be played on the site for a minimum of 10yrs. The clock is ticking...

I've had this in mind as well - but when you think about it nobody could do anything with the land other than having sports at it without getting it by the Council, and we knew how difficult that would be even without thousands of locals vociferously opposed to it. Anyway, hopefully it will never be an issue.

Those who go back generations in those parts of Trafford that are historically Manchester might well do. Those whose origins are in those parts of Trafford that are, for instance, historically Cheshire, probably don't, although they may well identify with Manchester as the nearest big city.

Being part of Greater Manchester doesn't make anybody Mancunian unless they're actually from the city of Manchester. People in Trafford are no more Mancunian because they live in Trafford than people living in Oldham or, say, Bolton are Mancunian just because we are part of Greater Manchester.

Don't know about your last question, although it's probably obvious after a moment's thought.

Grimsby - play in Cleethorpes.

It's alwahys amused me that the same people who sing "We're not part of Manchester" slate Saddleworthians for wanting to secede from Oldham when both arrangements came from the same piece of local government reorganisation. There were plenty in Saddleworth at the time that lobbied to join Tameside instead

It's alwahys amused me that the same people who sing "We're not part of Manchester" slate Saddleworthians for wanting to secede from Oldham when both arrangements came from the same piece of local government reorganisation. There were plenty in Saddleworth at the time that lobbied to join Tameside instead

Also amazing is the widespread inability to recognise that your town becoming part of an official entity called Greater Manchester doesn't mean that anybody is trying to force you to be Mancunian.

The answer to BlueJazzer's question is Port Vale.

In other news, this topic is very dull, didn't we do this yesterday and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that............................

The answer to BlueJazzer's question is Port Vale.

In other news, this topic is very dull, didn't we do this yesterday and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that, and the day before that............................

This, for anybody who's interested, is undergraduate humour.

Scathing uh?

This, for anybody who's interested, is undergraduate humour.

Scathing uh?

You're just mad that the answer didn't become obvious after your moments thought.

Not an attempt to be funny Corp, just making an observation.

Note for the moderators, can we set up a 'Decline of the Club' sub forum for Corporal Jones, it's the only subject he's interested in discussing.

Edited by LeylandLatic

If I remember correctly, I thought our "We're not part of Manchester" chants were aimed at the lazy journos/media-types who always lumped us in with the giants of Mancunia, particularly during the "glory days". I don't think we were making political statements per se.

You're just mad that the answer didn't become obvious after your moments thought.

Not an attempt to be funny Corp, just making an observation.

Note for the moderators, can we set up a 'Decline of the Club' sub forum for Corporal Jones, it's the only subject he's interested in discussing.

He has a point (or two) though. And it maybe annoying to some that he keeps bringing the subject up but I think his heart's in the right place. I'm guessing that at this time of unbridled optimism this kind of subject is not very welcome.

Also, I don't think this is the only subject he's interested in - he did try once or twice to "out" a Dutch Latics fan as a fake... :grin:

He has a point (or two) though. And it maybe annoying to some that he keeps bringing the subject up but I think his heart's in the right place. I'm guessing that at this time of unbridled optimism this kind of subject is not very welcome.

Also, I don't think this is the only subject he's interested in - he did try once or twice to "out" a Dutch Latics fan as a fake... :grin:

I have in the past agreed with the some of the points he is trying to make, I just don't see the point in going over it again and again.