An oldness about the place

I have in the past agreed with the some of the points he is trying to make, I just don't see the point in going over it again and again.

Yeah we should just pretend there are no problems at all. Bury our heads in the sand. I'm sure thats not what you really mean and I'm taking your words out of context.

He is going over it again and again because nothing is being done about it. The club ir stagnant. Too much apathy, not enough fresh ideas, not enough support from the town politically.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah we should just pretend there are no problems at all. Bury our heads in the sand. I'm sure thats not what you really mean and I'm taking your words out of context.

He is going over it again and again because nothing is being done about it. The club ir stagnant. Too much apathy, not enough fresh ideas, not enough support from the town politically.

Well yeah, you are takin my words out of context and presuming that I haven't thought about what needs doing. I have put it to Corporal on more than one occassion that if he feels so strongly about this, what is he doing to 'stop the rot'. There was a thread (more than one) in the past where myself and others have suggested different ways the club could increase fanbase and it's profile but none to my knowledge have been acted upon by the cub. Maybe through this website we could put some of these ideas into practice ourselves? I don't know, but where many are happy to help and make something happen, those who seem most 'obsessed' with the issue do nothing and 'bury their heads in the sand' when people ask them to offer solutions.

Well yeah, you are takin my words out of context and presuming that I haven't thought about what needs doing. I have put it to Corporal on more than one occassion that if he feels so strongly about this, what is he doing to 'stop the rot'. There was a thread (more than one) in the past where myself and others have suggested different ways the club could increase fanbase and it's profile but none to my knowledge have been acted upon by the cub. Maybe through this website we could put some of these ideas into practice ourselves? I don't know, but where many are happy to help and make something happen, those who seem most 'obsessed' with the issue do nothing and 'bury their heads in the sand' when people ask them to offer solutions.

And I have answered you on more than one occasion by pointing out that football clubs employ and pay well people to come up with ideas to take their club forward, and that most fans are too hard-pressed by problems of their own to to this, even when they can see what's wrong at their club.

In any case, we've been down that road before. We've had fans campaigns that were fairly antagonistic towards a moribund board (Stop the Rot), and campaigns that were supportive (SAFE, Trust Oldham, if you can call the latter a campaign.) The culmination was, first, a false Messiah and secondly decent owners who have nonetheless failed to take the club forward, the reasons for which have been both within and outside their control: the future of the club looks far from stable and we are exactly where we were ten years ago.

He has a point (or two) though. And it maybe annoying to some that he keeps bringing the subject up but I think his heart's in the right place. I'm guessing that at this time of unbridled optimism this kind of subject is not very welcome.

I take it that you're being tongue-in-cheek about this unbridled optimism?

Fair enough regarding the new manager-even I feel a ripple of enthusiasm when I hear him talk, but we've had managers with a good record before who don't seem able to repeat their success here. Time will tell.

Apart from that, the club has just squandered what was said to be the largest budget for some time and surrendered a golden opportunity for promotion in the most pathetic manner imaginable for the second time in three years. By the admission of club officials any worthwhile future depends on the stadium redevelopment, but like promotion this seems further away than ever.

It hardly looks to me a time for unbridled optimism.

....football clubs employ and pay well people to come up with ideas to take their club forward, and that most fans are too hard-pressed by problems of their own to to this, even when they can see what's wrong at their club.

+1

Have you ever felt it?

Although a natural sceptic, when it comes to Latics I was once an optimist, believe it or not. I was convinced we were going up in 1987, thought we'd win the League Cup against Forest, always knew we'd do it in '91, knew we'd stay up in 1993, and believed we'd make it the following year, particularly after beating Villa away and hammering QPR at home. Perhaps what changed me was the collapse of any will to stop the slide after relegation and seeing the link to how our time in the top flight was squandered on the eve of the big TV money, with regard to attracting the kind of investment that could have consolidated our position and built up the club infrastructure (even though I do recognise that it was always going to be difficult to stay in the PL, I doubt if the slide would have been so drastic had this been done.)

I was even optimistic that we'd get out of this division and begin a slow climb back until a couple of seasons ago.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

I take it that you're being tongue-in-cheek about this unbridled optimism?

Fair enough regarding the new manager-even I feel a ripple of enthusiasm when I hear him talk, but we've had managers with a good record before who don't seem able to repeat their success here. Time will tell.

Apart from that, the club has just squandered what was said to be the largest budget for some time and surrendered a golden opportunity for promotion in the most pathetic manner imaginable for the second time in three years. By the admission of club officials any worthwhile future depends on the stadium redevelopment, but like promotion this seems further away than ever.

It hardly looks to me a time for unbridled optimism.

Well I was referring to the majority on here who, quite rightly in my opinion, saw the appointment of Dave Penney as a step forward after the collapse of yet another "promotion-challenging" season that was accompanied by several unsavoury tales off the pitch. I think the timing of your reference to Joe Royle's statement hit a nerve with those riding the wave of "unbridled optimism". That said, anything you say will hit a nerve with some board users that have crowned you Chief Doom & Gloomer...

As you say, time will tell but, as someone who invariably sees the glass as half empty, even I allowed myself a little optimism with Penney's appointment. I think you have to have some hope... ...if not what's the point?

Well I was referring to the majority on here who, quite rightly in my opinion, saw the appointment of Dave Penney as a step forward after the collapse of yet another "promotion-challenging" season that was accompanied by several unsavoury tales off the pitch. I think the timing of your reference to Joe Royle's statement hit a nerve with those riding the wave of "unbridled optimism". That said, anything you say will hit a nerve with some board users that have crowned you Chief Doom & Gloomer...

As you say, time will tell but, as someone who invariably sees the glass as half empty, even I allowed myself a little optimism with Penney's appointment. I think you have to have some hope... ...if not what's the point?

I too think far worse things could have happened than the appointment of Dave Penney, but I fail to understand how people can try to deny to themselves the way that all the major underlying problems remain no matter who the manager is.

Edited by Corporal_Jones