Latics monitor Micah interest

Reporter: Tony Bugby

Date online: 07/05/2009

ATHLETIC could be set for a cash windfall if Manchester City decide to sell Micah Richards.

Boundary Park officials are closely monitoring the situation as speculation continues about the future of the 20-year-old defender.

Aston Villa are the latest club to be linked with a summer £7million move for Richards, who has made 126 first-team appearances for City and won 11 full caps for England.

As Athletic are entitled to a 20-per-cent cut of any transfer fee, they could be in line for a £1.4m payout if such a move materialises.

That would be a welcome addition to the coffers at Athletic, though much smaller than they had hoped.

When Richards, who was at Athletic’s centre of excellence between the ages of nine and 14, first emerged in a blaze of glory at City he was bracketed in the £25million category.

That would have earned Athletic a £5m sum which would have made a massive impact on the finances at Boundary Park.

But even £1.4m would be a welcome at a time when the club has been forced to cut its playing budget for the 2009/10 season due to the economic meltdown.

The influx of further funds might provide new manager Dave Penney with extra scope to make signings and mount a serious challenge for promotion.

Athletic have already received some compensation from City, who snatched Richards from them almost seven years ago.

There was an initial payment and since then there have been further sums marking his breakthrough into the first team and appearances for England.

Former Athletic manager John Sheridan is being linked with the managerial vacancy at Barnsley, who yesterday parted company with Simon Davey.

Sheridan could also be in the running for the posts at Stockport, whose manager Jim Gannon has been made redundant by the club’s administrators, and Chesterfield, who have parted company with former Athletic midfield man Lee Richardson after two years.

Athletic remind fans that season tickets have been on sale for just over a week. They are hoping to make a big push because if the figure of 4,500 is reached, each fan will receive £70 cash back.

The club, which currently has about 3,300 season-ticket holders, has frozen prices for the last four years.

ATHLETIC could be set for a cash windfall if Manchester City decide to sell Micah Richards.

Boundary Park officials are closely monitoring the situation as speculation continues about the future of the 20-year-old defender.

Aston Villa are the latest club to be linked with a summer £7million move for Richards, who has made 126 first-team appearances for City and won 11 full caps for England.

As Athletic are entitled to a 20-per-cent cut of any transfer fee, they could be in line for a £1.4m payout if such a move materialises.

That would be a welcome addition to the coffers at Athletic, though much smaller than they had hoped.

When Richards, who was at Athletic’s centre of excellence between the ages of nine and 14, first emerged in a blaze of glory at City he was bracketed in the £25million category.

That would have earned Athletic a £5m sum which would have made a massive impact on the finances at Boundary Park.

But even £1.4m would be a welcome at a time when the club has been forced to cut its playing budget for the 2009/10 season due to the economic meltdown.

The influx of further funds might provide new manager Dave Penney with extra scope to make signings and mount a serious challenge for promotion.

Athletic have already received some compensation from City, who snatched Richards from them almost seven years ago.

There was an initial payment and since then there have been further sums marking his breakthrough into the first team and appearances for England.

Former Athletic manager John Sheridan is being linked with the managerial vacancy at Barnsley, who yesterday parted company with Simon Davey.

Sheridan could also be in the running for the posts at Stockport, whose manager Jim Gannon has been made redundant by the club’s administrators, and Chesterfield, who have parted company with former Athletic midfield man Lee Richardson after two years.

Athletic remind fans that season tickets have been on sale for just over a week. They are hoping to make a big push because if the figure of 4,500 is reached, each fan will receive £70 cash back.

The club, which currently has about 3,300 season-ticket holders, has frozen prices for the last four years.

Regarding the Shez thing towards the end. I would hate him to go to Stockport as i dont want him to manage another club against us anytime soon. Barnsley i would say are a step to high for him at the moment, but Chesterfield might be a good place for him to start off again. Shame Rico didnt make it, but think Shez could do a good job there.

But barnsley have not yet parted company with their manager????????

The never wrong chron on the ball again

Regarding the Shez thing towards the end. I would hate him to go to Stockport as i dont want him to manage another club against us anytime soon. Barnsley i would say are a step to high for him at the moment, but Chesterfield might be a good place for him to start off again. Shame Rico didnt make it, but think Shez could do a good job there.

Agreed

Think chesterfield in with a good shout of playoffs/auto next year if the right manager comes in

Re stockport: Given the budget they are likely to have next season, anyone who takes that job better have more magic tricks up his sleeve than paul daniels

Agreed

Think chesterfield in with a good shout of playoffs/auto next year if the right manager comes in

Re stockport: Given the budget they are likely to have next season, anyone who takes that job better have more magic tricks up his sleeve than paul daniels

Yeah Stockport will struggle to attract a 'experienced' manager on the budget they will probably have. If Shez did happen to go there, what reception do you think he would get back at BP. I really hope he gets a good one, as no matter how it all finished, the guy is still a legend at the club. I would hate for some people to forget all the good times Shez gave us both as a player and a manager.

Yeah Stockport will struggle to attract a 'experienced' manager on the budget they will probably have. If Shez did happen to go there, what reception do you think he would get back at BP. I really hope he gets a good one, as no matter how it all finished, the guy is still a legend at the club. I would hate for some people to forget all the good times Shez gave us both as a player and a manager.

I'd clap him if he come back, respect the hell out of him for his services to the club as player and coach.

Shez will get a heroes reception from me, over 10 years service as a player, coach, one legged talisman cameos and finally manager ensure he will get the home coming he deserves. It was nothing personal his dismissal, just the realisation that he could not take us any further in the vast majority of people's opinions.

Is it just a coincidence that Tony Bugby writes a story about Micah Richards after we discuss it on here? Before Dave Penney came i remember him mentioning the Victor Chandler betting running in the 'getting worse by the week Chron', again after it was posted on here!

And im sure there has been other cases of him getting his info off OWTB!!

I think hes a poor poor journalist and the 'getting worse by the week Chron' is obviously getting worse by the week!!

Shez will get a heroes reception from me, over 10 years service as a player, coach, one legged talisman cameos and finally manager ensure he will get the home coming he deserves. It was nothing personal his dismissal, just the realisation that he could not take us any further in the vast majority of people's opinions.

It would be fitting for him to get that, as sadly we never got to thank him for all his efforts over the years.

Perhaps we could have a whippet round for him?

If he does come back with another team it will be a cracker of a game as I expect him to have them fired up to put one over on us. I'll give him a good reception and wish him all the best in his career apart from when he plays against us.

Perhaps we could have a whippet round for him?

If he does come back with another team it will be a cracker of a game as I expect him to have them fired up to put one over on us. I'll give him a good reception and wish him all the best in his career apart from when he plays against us.

Im sure he would settle for a pint......from all of us. :grin:

Thats the best post you have ever wrote ... :grin:

Couldn't agree more mate.

Not really fair that, is it? My understanding is that Latics agreed the transfer of Richards to City and negotiated a settlement, which included, very wisely, the hefty sell-on clause.

If that's the case, then he was hardly 'snatched' away.

No danger, shame it all happened the way it did, like you say the bigger picture would guarantee a good reception

Edited by longtimeblue

Not really fair that, is it? My understanding is that Latics agreed the transfer of Richards to City and negotiated a settlement, which included, very wisely, the hefty sell-on clause.

If that's the case, then he was hardly 'snatched' away.

I love how he was at latics for less than a year and we are going to get money for him :)