The retained list

I'll be surprised if Clarke doesn't end up at Brentford.

Billy Clarke has been for talks with Roy Keane back at Ipswich, Keano has rated him from a-far apparently; he might find he still has a future at Ipswich yet under RK.

I said on the last home game of the season to my mate that if Wolfy is offered a new deal; it can be seen as an indication of both our budget size & ambition for next season. He is simply not cut out for football at this level; he’s too small & more importantly too weak for a striker. Regardless of his football brain (which Joe rated), if you are too small & too weak to stay on the ball or win the ball, it doesn’t matter if your brain is a good one – you’ll get bullied about by L1 defenders, which is exactly what happens to Wolfy every game he’s played in.

If he’s offered a deal I’ll be mortified – he should have been shown the door ages ago; his fitness & injury record is appalling & he’s been for all intense & purposes a waste of a wage for 2/3 seasons.

Greegan should be offered a new deal; on reduced terms to his current deal as he has been a stand-out this season compared to his team-mates. Penney likes ‘hard men’ & leaders in his side – Greegan is our only one of those. He should be here (as captain too) next season in my opinion, I hope DP shares my view.

As for the others, thanks & bye Stam / Maher / JP Kalalla / Hughes……….and Allott I think. Fresh blank canvas needed so most of the retained list wont be retained I feel.

Wolfie and Black will be on buttons, hardly going to be a make or break if they are kept on. I think it would be a mistake to let Black go, we have seen how difficult it has been to fill the left back spot since Griffin/Tierney (Charlton, Bertrand, Lomax, Jones, Golbourne, Coventry bloke, Hazell, Stam, Taylor) Regardless that Black isn't Maldini yet it doesn't make sense to get rid of a young kid who at worst can fill a shirt and stand near a touchline for 90 mins.

think penney will be ruthless:

out - kalala, maher, wolfenden, hughes, stam

allowed to leave - whitaker, lomax, O'Grady, hazell (long shot but :censored:e since feb, past few dvds may prove tough viewing for dp)

offered new deal - allott, gregan (1yr each).

leaves (presuming above correct and people sign up):

() = my choice of additions

GK: Fleming, (Nash), Ollerenshaw.

RB: Eardley (Austin)

CB: Gregan, Hazell, (Nelson), (Foster), Dawson

LB: Black (?)

RW: Smalley, (Bergmeier)

CM: Alott, Lee, Stephens, (Kennedy), Rowney

LW: Taylor, (Purdie)

ST: Alessandra, (Abbott), (Clarke), Brooke

need: 1 GK, 1 RB, 1 LB, 2 CB, 1 CM, 1 RM, 1 LM, 2 ST = 10

SQUAD (-4 Youth players) = 21

Thoughts?

N.B. There are an endless number of decent players looking for clubs in all divisions, its a buyers market. I have not got an extensive list of people available, im sure the above will be different to how it pans out, but just a few suggestions.

Edited by shefflatic

Wolfie and Black will be on buttons, hardly going to be a make or break if they are kept on. I think it would be a mistake to let Black go, we have seen how difficult it has been to fill the left back spot since Griffin/Tierney (Charlton, Bertrand, Lomax, Jones, Golbourne, Coventry bloke, Hazell, Stam, Taylor) Regardless that Black isn't Maldini yet it doesn't make sense to get rid of a young kid who at worst can fill a shirt and stand near a touchline for 90 mins.
lomax allott jp wolfie o grady fleming all to go alexandra to be loaned out bring in 2 new strikers,

Or pronounce Greggan <cough, Roy,cough>

Gregan has been rated by most opposing managers and fans, some dont like him cos he shouts at some of the kids, MAYBE THEY NEED IT with some of the performances and the lack of heart. Got to keep him, however I feel his face doesnt fit with the board. Fingers crossed common sense prevales.

Kalala, Allot(?) Wolfy Hughes Maher will all be gone I feel

I think Ogrady is better equiped as back up than anything that finished the season (Wolfy and Allessandra) and Smally is a better wide player than a striker.

Does Penney want a squad?? If so you will have to keep Whitts, Ogrady and Lomax.

Who goes, who stays - PENNEY DECIDES!!!!

All I wanna see is heart commitment and passion, something we have lacked for months and months, so I will trust Penneys judgement. Although I can see a few suprises that the muppets parade wont like!

KEEP THE FAITH

think allott and gregan will be kept on if financially possible.

people who says they don't like gregan shouting at kids...they're learning an need telling and shouting at when doing things wrong and gregan does that.

think its def the end for stam kalala an wolfy

people who says they don't like gregan shouting at kids...they're learning an need telling and shouting at when doing things wrong and gregan does that.

They don't need telling and shouting at when it's Gregan himself who has cocked up. That's what I object to. That's not leadership.

They don't need telling and shouting at when it's Gregan himself who has cocked up. That's what I object to. That's not leadership.

:sleeping:

That 'trait' of his is blown way out of proportion by some on here. He has been guilty of it at times but I'm sure everything is put to bed afterwards, plus it shows he has pride in his performance (which should be a given but seemingly hasn't been).

Also, I strongly suspect a lot of the time when Gregan has made a mistake and bollocked somebody the player he goes for has also made a mistake.....often a subtle one that many in the stands wont notice, for example no communication.

:sleeping:

That 'trait' of his is blown way out of proportion by some on here. He has been guilty of it at times but I'm sure everything is put to bed afterwards, plus it shows he has pride in his performance (which should be a given but seemingly hasn't been).

Also, I strongly suspect a lot of the time when Gregan has made a mistake and bollocked somebody the player he goes for has also made a mistake.....often a subtle one that many in the stands wont notice, for example no communication.

So he deflects attention from his mistake by bollocking someone else for a subtle mistake that no one in the crowd has seen. For an avid Gregan supporter, that is an extraordinary comment you make. He is as guilty as the rest of our defenders for making mistakes but a captain should hold his hands up.

So he deflects attention from his mistake by bollocking someone else for a subtle mistake that no one in the crowd has seen. For an avid Gregan supporter, that is an extraordinary comment you make. He is as guilty as the rest of our defenders for making mistakes but a captain should hold his hands up.

Gregan is awesome, and it's not necessarilly nobody in the stands noticing it's people who don't like Gregan wanting to get on his back before they've even thought about what's happened. I'm not gonna say he is perfect and doesn't sometimes blame other people for his mistakes, of course he does, but he often has a case when he is dishing out a bolocking. Still the best defender in this league on his day and fortunately he's fairly consistent at being on of the best the division can offer. Get some pace alongside him and he's an assett. The people saying we should get shut of Gregan are probably the same people who think eardley is a liability. He can still do a job for us, no doubt, but perhaps his wages should now be looked at while we have the chance.

No, he bollocks people when he feels they have made a mistake. He's consistant with this approach - should the poor man on the end of the bollocking feel hard done by he has every right to defend himself.

Maybe the fact that such a defence is rarely seen means that Gregan's bollocking are often just?

Gregan is awesome, and it's not necessarilly nobody in the stands noticing it's people who don't like Gregan wanting to get on his back before they've even thought about what's happened. I'm not gonna say he is perfect and doesn't sometimes blame other people for his mistakes, of course he does, but he often has a case when he is dishing out a bolocking. Still the best defender in this league on his day and fortunately he's fairly consistent at being on of the best the division can offer. Get some pace alongside him and he's an assett. The people saying we should get shut of Gregan are probably the same people who think eardley is a liability. He can still do a job for us, no doubt, but perhaps his wages should now be looked at while we have the chance.

Gregan has his good games and his bad games like all our defenders and when compliments are due, I have given them but when he has played badly, he also get the negative comments.

If he was the best defender in the division, then he would have been picked by his peers for the PFA team of the season. But he ISN'T and he DIDN'T!!!

Also Hazell has pace and had to, on many occasions, cover for Gregan's deficiency in that department.

What we need are 2 centre backs that can play as a partnership.

No, he bollocks people when he feels they have made a mistake. He's consistant with this approach - should the poor man on the end of the bollocking feel hard done by he has every right to defend himself.

Maybe the fact that such a defence is rarely seen means that Gregan's bollocking are often just?

This rarely seen defence that Gregan is an "integral" part of!!!

This rarely seen defence that Gregan is an "integral" part of!!!

I meant defence in terms of Hazel (for example) defending himself when Gregan bollocks him for being caught with his thumb up his arse........thus inviting pressure on to the defence (as in back 4) which occasionally leads to Greegs making a mistake. As you allude to yourself the defence is a unit, and so Greegs spreads blame as he feels it ought to be spread. :tongue1:

I'm not suggesting every Gregan mistake is the fault of somebody else (just to nip that one in the bud), I'm still only trying to explain why he sometimes appears to be bollocking others after 'his' mistakes.

I thought it was hilarious when Eardley went totally mental at Gregan after he'd been sent a hospital ball across the front of goal! Gregan took that one on the chin! Was about 10 games ago I think.