if Burnley can get within one game of the Prem.....

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The seem united in a belief that their town is entitled to a decent football club. In general we feel lucky that we even have a club and are content to see it drift.

I strongly disagree with the above.

There are numerous better reasons to explain why Burnley can get within one game of the Prem.

Having lived over here the past 5 years the 'rise' is clearly down to a positive, but realistic strategy. The previous regime built the club back up from the troubled situation around 1998 and then the ITV digital collapse which hit them hard (top of the championship at the time I think). However they invested cleverly and created a good structure.

A new investor came in 2 seasons ago and it was amazing the change - there was a huge investment in marketing and creating positive messages. They have invested wisely in the team having had to sell their best player every January for the past 3 or 4 years before this season (Akinbiyi, Blake etc), indeed they've even bought these players back at hugely reduced fees the following season.

All that good investment in the structure around the club has had a huge boost this season with probably their best move in getting in a manager in Owen Coyle who oozes enthusiasm and a canny tactical outlook. Aided by some excellent signings in the pre-season (some of which Joe Royle helped Owen get in) and a big slice of luck they deserve to be at Wembley. And I must admit that after the season they've had they probably deserve to top it off with the Premiership - they have been playing some excellent football.

Yes they are a town that is totally focused on their team, and despite the usual mix of big 4 followers at least the local papers have full coverage of the team without feeling they have to dedicate columns to other teams!

Burnley has fewer fans with the tag 'Armchair' than Oldham.

My nickname has a history not based around being an armchair fan, but read into it what you will.

I'm not an expert on Burnley or its football background but I don't believe there is a shortage of passion in Oldham for Oldham Athletic football club, nor do I believe there is a lack of a will in the town for the club to succeed. I don't post here often, but I do read a lot and, perhaps to be expected, the forums currently echo the disappoining season end we've had.

Sure we've come off the back of a disappointing season but we've been in far worse positions as a club. The nature of our end of season collapse, in stark contrast to the promising start we made to the season has compounded the disappointment.

When I read comments like the one I replied to it's purely because we're the people who should be making sure there is passion for OAFC in Oldham. We're the ones who shouldn't settle for a club that drifts. If its said often enough and loud enough here, in the stands, in the town; well, then it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

My nickname has a history not based around being an armchair fan, but read into it what you will.

I'm not an expert on Burnley or its football background but I don't believe there is a shortage of passion in Oldham for Oldham Athletic football club, nor do I believe there is a lack of a will in the town for the club to succeed. I don't post here often, but I do read a lot and, perhaps to be expected, the forums currently echo the disappoining season end we've had.

Sure we've come off the back of a disappointing season but we've been in far worse positions as a club. The nature of our end of season collapse, in stark contrast to the promising start we made to the season has compounded the disappointment.

When I read comments like the one I replied to it's purely because we're the people who should be making sure there is passion for OAFC in Oldham. We're the ones who shouldn't settle for a club that drifts. If its said often enough and loud enough here, in the stands, in the town; well, then it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

Well I, for one, could never be accused of settling for a club that drifts but generally get slated on here for being 'Mr Doom and Gloom.'

Wise words...

Well I, for one, could never be accused of settling for a club that drifts but generally get slated on here for being 'Mr Doom and Gloom.'

Senor Coconut's "Mr Doom and Gloom", you're "Mr Stuck Record".