if Burnley can get within one game of the Prem.....

The simple fact is that Burnley is a football town.

.....and one of the few towns in the area without a tradition of Rugby League and large premiership sides on their door step (thats discounting B* Rovers).

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is. Not in the town centre, but heading up Todmorden way - Littleborough and the places nearing Halifax and the like and it's full of them. Bacup, Whitworth, etc all have big Burnley followings.

In the centre of Rochdale and surrounding area's, there will definately be more 'tics. Heading into the suburbs and surrounding area's then there's a substantial more amount of dingles. That would greatly outnumber us in the centre.

Well I wouldn't class Bacup, Whitworth, Todmorden and even Littleborough as Rochdale !!

It would be amazing wouldn't it if they got promoted.....the Prem would be nearly half full of Lancashire teams - City, United, Liverpool, Everton (these four seemed to have lost a lot of their Lancs identity), Rovers, Bolton, Wigan and Burnley.....

And people say the North East is the football hot-bed...bollocks....

That's because United, city, Liverpool and Everton are not part of Lancashire. Neither is Wigan and Bolton. You are right in saying the north west has a lot of teams. Saying that so does London with Chelsea, Fulham, Arsenal, Spurs and West Ham.

That's because United, city, Liverpool and Everton are not part of Lancashire. Neither is Wigan and Bolton. You are right in saying the north west has a lot of teams. Saying that so does London with Chelsea, Fulham, Arsenal, Spurs and West Ham.

They may no longer be officially part of Lancashire, but historically all of them are.

You and I are at one on this.

As I've said before, it's amazing how confusing so many people find this issue (I'm not saying spadam does.) Becoming part of an administrative body called Greater Manchester didn't stop people being Lancastrian, and wasn't an attempt to turn Lancastrians into Mancunians (who are Lancastrians themselves.)

As I've said before, it's amazing how confusing so many people find this issue (I'm not saying spadam does.) Becoming part of an administrative body called Greater Manchester didn't stop people being Lancastrian, and wasn't an attempt to turn Lancastrians into Mancunians (who are Lancastrians themselves.)

Stop making me purr :grin:

Well I wouldn't class Bacup, Whitworth, Todmorden and even Littleborough as Rochdale !!

Whitworth, Littleborough are in Rochdale. Both Bacup and Tod are pretty much bang on half way to Burnley. Infact both are only one main road along from the two that are classed as Rochdale. Whitworth to Bacup and 'Boro to Tod.

As I've also said before, but there are some facts such as this which must be repeated until the day that every OWTB member has learned them.

Whitworth, Littleborough are in Rochdale. Both Bacup and Tod are pretty much bang on half way to Burnley. Infact both are only one main road along from the two that are classed as Rochdale. Whitworth to Bacup and 'Boro to Tod.

Sorry got to take issue with you on this Rocky (not that I'm arsed as I'm from Milnrow really), but for god's sake never tell anyone from Littleborough they are from Rochdale!!! It's a seperate town; Rochdale doesn't even form part of the address it's just Littleborough, Lancs.

Just to set the record straight like :grin:

I had a look at this last year. Two counties exist currently, the ceremonial county of Greater Manchester and the Historic County of Lancashire. Oldham is in both of them but historically it would be more accurate to say we are in Lancashire.

Come on fella - you're supposed to be an Oldhamer and you come out with that !

The formation of Greater Manchester and Merseyside, largely for administrative and logistical purposes, did not suddenly mean Lancashire, and the other 'historical' counties affected, ceased to be no more.

Whitworth is its own town/village and doesn't even come under Rochdale Borough. Littleborough does come under Rochdale Borough but most certainly isn't in Rochdale...it's like saying Middleton is in Rochdale...The rest of your post I don't understand.......

So, to recap...you say that Rochdale is a Burnley hotbed because there are lots of Dingles in Whitworth, Bacup, Littleborough and Tod - I say none of these places are actually in Rochdale ! Although many in Littleborough will probably identify fairly strongly with Rochdale.

Whitworth is its own town/village and doesn't even come under Rochdale Borough. Littleborough does come under Rochdale Borough but most certainly isn't in Rochdale...it's like saying Middleton is in Rochdale...The rest of your post I don't understand.......

So, to recap...you say that Rochdale is a Burnley hotbed because there are lots of Dingles in Whitworth, Bacup, Littleborough and Tod - I say none of these places are actually in Rochdale ! Although many in Littleborough will probably identify fairly strongly with Rochdale.

Whitworth might be it's own village but that means nothing. There's plenty of little places in Rochdale classed as Villages, but they're still classed as Rochdale. Heck. Even Turf Hill is classed as a village nowadays.

Whitworth is classed as a part of Rochdale. Search for property in Whitworth and what town does it say it's in? Rochdale.

As for Middleton. That too falls within the Metropilitan Borough of Rochdale rather than Manchester. Though there's not many, if any Burnley fans there.

Edited by Rocky_Latic

Whitworth might be it's own village but that means nothing. There's plenty of little places in Rochdale classed as Villages, but they're still classed as Rochdale. Heck. Even Turf Hill is classed as a village nowadays.

Whitworth is classed as a part of Rochdale. Search for property in Whitworth and what town does it say it's in? Rochdale.

As for Middleton. That too falls within the Metropilitan Borough of Rochdale rather than Manchester. Though there's not many, if any Burnley fans there.

With respect, you need to learn a bit more about the history and geography of your town....

Whitworth is not Rochdale, even if you or others or property websites think it is....many people think Delph is Oldham but it isn't, although a few Delphers might tell you it is and a few property sites might list properties in Delph as being Delph, Oldham...

And what you parping on about Turf Hill for...doesn't make any difference to your argument...BTW, my Dad's side grew up on Turf Hill so I know well it's a district/village within Rochdale, but Whitworth isn't, neither is Bacup or Tod, and Littleborough, well, I wouldn't say it is....

Edited by Yard Dog