if Burnley can get within one game of the Prem.....

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.......why can't we???

Population of 73000 compared to our 103000.

As big, if not a bigger, :censored:hole.

Well, once upon a time didn't we do a little bit better than 'within one game of the Prem' ???

They have a much bigger fanbase than us that come from all around East Lancashire.

Can we close this thread now. The obvious answer has been provided, so there's surely nothing else for anyone to add. Fans = Revenue = Better Players = Success.

They have a much bigger fanbase than us that come from all around East Lancashire.

Nothing to do with '' all around East Lancs '' at all.....it's the fact that Burnley people support Burnley FC NOT Man U or Man City.

Actually, I suppose you've got Colne and Nelson and Accrington, but I still don't think it's to do with a big catchment area - it's more a fierce loyalty to the club by Burnley people.

Nothing to do with '' all around East Lancs '' at all.....it's the fact that Burnley people support Burnley FC NOT Man U or Man City.

Actually, I suppose you've got Colne and Nelson and Accrington, but I still don't think it's to do with a big catchment area - it's more a fierce loyalty to the club by Burnley people.

There is also a fair amount of support in Rochdale and Todmorden for Burnley too. I live in Littleborough and a number of my neighbours are Burnley fans. Remember until the 70's Burnley were a good side and a lot of people all around East Lancs were brought up Burnley fans.

A club with a history of success tends to have a greater fan base than those with comparitively less.

In the grand scheme of things, we are not a sucessful club. Burnley, whilst not a giant, have had success - albeit a long time ago.

As also said, a decent cup run and promotion from the second tier of English football, is no different to what we achieved almost 20 years ago. In the 'internet message boards' of the time (fanzines, pubs, offices, factories etc) I imagine that Preston, Wolves, Burnley, Blackpool, Bolton, Blackburn etc fans were probablt saying similar things about us.

What comes around goes around?

Good luck to Burnley in the final. Yes they are a club with a minority of thugs who we have no luve for, but at at least they are a Lancashire team. With the likely failure of Hull, it would be great to see another Lancashire team in the top flight and no Yorkies.

Its great fun pointing out the 'golden era' of Yorkshire football to the locals round here.

There is also a fair amount of support in Rochdale and Todmorden for Burnley too. I live in Littleborough and a number of my neighbours are Burnley fans. Remember until the 70's Burnley were a good side and a lot of people all around East Lancs were brought up Burnley fans.

I've come across the odd Burnley fan in Rochdale, but it isn't exactly a hotbed of Burnley support is it - there'll be far far more Oldham fans in Rochdale, that's for sure. I'll give you Todmorden...they also seem to get a few from places like Keighley...so perhaps their support is drawn from a wider area than I first thought, but I still think their good support is mainly down to a fierce loyalty towards the club from people who live in and around the town.

Good luck to Burnley in the final. Yes they are a club with a minority of thugs who we have no luve for, but at at least they are a Lancashire team. With the likely failure of Hull, it would be great to see another Lancashire team in the top flight and no Yorkies.

Its great fun pointing out the 'golden era' of Yorkshire football to the locals round here.

It would be amazing wouldn't it if they got promoted.....the Prem would be nearly half full of Lancashire teams - City, United, Liverpool, Everton (these four seemed to have lost a lot of their Lancs identity), Rovers, Bolton, Wigan and Burnley.....

And people say the North East is the football hot-bed...bollocks....

Edited by Yard Dog

And people say the North East is the football hot-bed...bollocks....

Are these people in the North Easy by any chance? Would do Newcastle/Middlesbrough/Sunderland fans good if they go down, keep them quiet for a bit and bring them down a peg or two.

Success in decades past is only part of the story. The fact is that when we nearly sent them down to the fourth division at the end of 1998 they were in trouble. It was not their (at the time dwindling) fanbase that turned the club around, but the club coming under the control of people with the vision and ability to rebuild the club's infrastructure and put out teams that secured enough success to bring lapsed fans back.

Too much can be made of a club's fanbase. The fact is that you have to have some success to build it up. Constant failure only whittles it away.

Success in decades past is only part of the story. The fact is that when we nearly sent them down to the fourth division at the end of 1998 they were in trouble. It was not their (at the time dwindling) fanbase that turned the club around, but the club coming under the control of people with the vision and ability to rebuild the club's infrastructure and put out teams that secured enough success to bring lapsed fans back.

Too much can be made of a club's fanbase. The fact is that you have to have some success to build it up. Constant failure only whittles it away.

Which does rather suggest that we still have a future?

Burnley's a smaller town than Oldham but Pendle is a huge area. Go up North of Burnley (if you dare) and you come acorss town after town, smaller and smaller but the vast majority of the likes of Clitheroe, Earby, Colne etc. are Burnley fans.

OK, it's like Deliverence when you make that journey, but even inbred hicks can be be counted as fans. Like John Cooper Clarke pointed out; You shouldn't really trust anywhere where they still point at planes.

Which does rather suggest that we still have a future?

I've never said that we don't. I have speculated as to whether we will prove to be one of those lower league clubs who go part-time at some point.

Burnley have the advantage of having begun to get their act together ten years ago while there was still time. In that time we have blundered from one crisis to another and had one or two false dawns.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

That's the point, in-bred jokes apart, the support for Burnley is bred into each generation, and I admire their keeping faith with a club which has not had much to shout about since the 1960s. The simple fact is that Burnley is a football town.

I think the population is actually approx 88,500. They will take about 35,000 to Wembley, which is almost 40% of that population. Not many towns could boast that. I say good luck to 'em!

Meh! So Burnley are within one game of the Premiership, they ain't there yet. Burnley itself is not a big town but as people have pointed out it has a much larger catchment area than a lot of other towns. Places like Colne and Nelson whilst technically not part of Burnley its there nearest football club. Other places such as Skipton to the North, Rawtenstall to the South, Keighley and Clitheroe have more than a few Burnley fans in them and that's not forgetting all those people who were smart enough to escape. (One of my friends at uni is a Burnley fan- she was from Accrington- and I wouldn't mind betting she will be there at Wembley despite now living in the North east). Out of curiosity but what was the population of Oldham when we played Forest and how many did we take to Wembley and how many of those now support (or supported back then) our bigger local rivals? (Its a slightly rhetorical question).

I will however point out that Burnley were playing a game to stay in the then Div 4 in the same year (or a year either way) we were robbed in the playoffs to get into what's now the Premiership. Football until recently was quite a circular process where by you could go from the bottom division to the top division in 4 years (and vice-a-versa). Burnley have been a well run club for the past 15 years (for example they developed the stadium when the economy wasn't in free fall and they had done well, plus they don't tend to spend beyond their means) and will probably continue to be a well-run club this is what will stop them from doing a Leeds/Southampton but it won't necessary stop them from doing a Derby.

I've come across the odd Burnley fan in Rochdale, but it isn't exactly a hotbed of Burnley support is it - there'll be far far more Oldham fans in Rochdale, that's for sure. I'll give you Todmorden...they also seem to get a few from places like Keighley...so perhaps their support is drawn from a wider area than I first thought, but I still think their good support is mainly down to a fierce loyalty towards the club from people who live in and around the town.

It is. Not in the town centre, but heading up Todmorden way - Littleborough and the places nearing Halifax and the like and it's full of them. Bacup, Whitworth, etc all have big Burnley followings.

In the centre of Rochdale and surrounding area's, there will definately be more 'tics. Heading into the suburbs and surrounding area's then there's a substantial more amount of dingles. That would greatly outnumber us in the centre.