Hardy: More signings expected to arrive next week

Yeovil, Carlisle and others have done pretty well out of having small but good teams where everyone is involved and the spirit is there

Avoiding relegation by 1 and 2 points?

If that's doing pretty well, gawd help 'em if they'd struggled!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Avoiding relegation by 1 and 2 points?

If that's doing pretty well, gawd help 'em if they'd struggled!

I think he means when they both made the play offs

but they must have struck lucky on the injury front

Recently departed player made reference to the cliques that existed and there was a general ill feeling towards a certain player in the team. With such a split within the whole team it's no wonder that things went down the pan in the latter months on the pitch.

Certain players "couldn't be bothered anymore" prior to and defintely after the dogs night.

I was shocked by some of the comments made and I'm glad that the individual has left the club along with certain others as it was evident that football wasn't the focus anymore.

Cloud has lifted, fresh approach, new direction and leadership.

I think he means when they both made the play offs

but they must have struck lucky on the injury front

I can't even believe this is dfiscussiuon has gone on this long. Let's take a huge risk, hoping that our youngsters and players who (although got little time) failed to show anything that would suggest they can help us mount any sort of play off challenge. Let's do this despite the fact that we have the money to do somehting about it and bring in quality that could see us be competetive. History shows that the youngsters alone will see us fighting at the wrong end of the table. So how will putting them next to a group of players that for the most part failed big time last year when it got tough. Apart from Taylor and Eardley, the heart of last years team for the most part is now gone, Allot, Gregan, Hughes. So without 3 players who were amongst our most consistent performers and biggest goal threat we should go into the new season without properly replacing them and hoping that our youngsters can step into the shoes of vastly experienced seasoned pros? I don't think so some how, it would be absolute madness! Without Hughes' goals we would have been relegation candidates. So we are gonna just ignore that fact and say that Brooike, O'Grady and Allessandra are gonna fill those boots? 3 pages made up of the most pointless debate i've ever seen on this board. Do we need 6 or 7 players, maybe not need, but should we take 6 or 7 players that can add to the quality and depth of the squad, of course we :censored: should. If we didn't get ANY injuries then our current squad might get us mid table, but that is NEVER going to happen.

Edited by Lookers_Carl
lang

Recently departed player made reference to the cliques that existed and there was a general ill feeling towards a certain player in the team. With such a split within the whole team it's no wonder that things went down the pan in the latter months on the pitch.

Certain players "couldn't be bothered anymore" prior to and defintely after the dogs night.

I was shocked by some of the comments made and I'm glad that the individual has left the club along with certain others as it was evident that football wasn't the focus anymore.

I presume one of the cliques was sheridans old boys club?

i cant believe what i am reading, you keep harping on about us having players around the team who dont play - its called SUBS and A SQUAD!!

we need the other 8 that DP will bring in, this only gives us a first team squad of 20 including 3 GK's so only 19 outfield players in reality. They 4 young lads will make up part of the reserve/youth team and end of.

we can obviously afford a squad and the 3-4 players not in the 16 on a saturday, leave the funding to the tta. If it were any different then we'd have less players coming in.

we need 20 players MINIMUM otherwise its loans and young lads and relegation. Why are you adverse to us having a squad? Does it hurt you to think that perhaps come the end of august DP will see that COG and wolfy cant cut the mustard and replace them with better quality players?

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but didn't Sheridan's first season see a small, tightly knit squad with a couple of real quality players get to the play-offs? Besides which, I'm not arguing that Alessandra and O'Grady are worth first team places - I'm saying that economics has to be balanced and I cannot see how we can afford to have the pair of them sat in the reserves pulling in good wages while we have 2 first team strikers playing week in, week out. Plus you keep talking about youth players who excel getting a chance but I can't see why you think that if we have several "first team" strikers playing.

My basic point is that we have baggage in this team and I don't see it being a good idea to bury it beneath shiny new signings. I'd rather see us pick up a guy like Danny Graham on what one assumes would be a lucrative deal than just bring in numbers of players in the belief that a big squad will catapult us to promotion. Economics at this level of football, in my eyes, has to insist on keeping a balanced squad and I don't see that being achieved by bringing in numbers. It is quality that we need.

Hughes and/or Gregan, likely to be the latter I reckon seeing as Hughes was binned within 10 days of Joe taking over.

[/b]

That for me is the key point in all of this; and it won’t be simply in terms of personnel – it will be in attitude & mentality of the team, not just different players.

DP & now Gray have said that they run a tight ship, discipline is paramount to them. DP has said on numerous interviews so far that he is looking for a “hungrier & fitter” side. I firmly believe that the alluded to ‘bad trainers’ in the club (Ales & Lee have been mentioned at various times) will not be bad trainers for much longer.

With an emphasis on fitness, mental strength & an altogether tougher / meaner attitude in all areas; I believe we will see real differences in the existing players we already have here.

Lee, Smalley, Ales, COG et all could be like ‘new players’ with a change in mentality & an emphasis on tougher trainer & fitness work.

Imagine a self-confident, fitter, hungrier Deane Smalley burning it down the right flank week in week out – he’d tear it up wouldn’t he? Imagine Lee being able to show the flashes he has done consistently over a 90min game week in week out – he’d be the midfield spark we’ve sorely missed wouldn’t he? Lewis training hard all week; chomping a bit to get off the bench & make an impact in games to earn a starting spot – looking to take his chance when it comes with both hand; be a cracking option of the bench to have wouldn’t it?

A fit non-pisspot Taylor would be awesome

Whilst I fully agree with the majority on this thread that 5 or 6 more quality additions are needed; for me the key areas as most see, being a LB, CB’s x 2 & ST’s x 2 – I also feel as I’ve said above; that some of the present lot; deemed not good enough after last season, may just be turned into good enough under this new regime.

I look forward to see who else Is brought in; but I also look forward to DP working with the present lot & potentially sorting them out too!!

Bring it on Mr Penney!!!

I'd say it was Hughes too after chatting with a player at theend of season awards. I'll not say who I was chatting to but he mentioned Hughes and when I asked him if that meant he was disliked he didn't know what to say. Obviously thought he had saidtoo much, but the damage had been done so to speak....

I agree too that a player can change his attitude in the preseason. I remember neil redfearn not being partcularly well liked by the fans when he fret came but started the next season like a new man and became a crowd fave.

Reason for edit. Big thumbs, small iPhone!

Edited by BlueJazzer