Hardy: More signings expected to arrive next week

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Purdie definitely will play in midfield

Will we see Danny Jones back here? I still rate the lad.

I really hope we see Kieran Lee in centre midfield, I can just see something in the way he plays, seems to have something you just don't see that often in this division. The little we have seen of him, his movement and the sort of passes he looks to play have stood out for me. Joe said in his post Walsall interview he thought he had tremendous potential but just didn't have the fitness. Hopefully with a good pre season it's going to be like a new signing and a potential 'wow signing' at that.

I really hope we see Kieran Lee in centre midfield, I can just see something in the way he plays, seems to have something you just don't see that often in this division. The little we have seen of him, his movement and the sort of passes he looks to play have stood out for me. Joe said in his post Walsall interview he thought he had tremendous potential but just didn't have the fitness. Hopefully with a good pre season it's going to be like a new signing and a potential 'wow signing' at that.

Totally agree, I think he'll be the big hit of next season.

Apparently, he was training very well last pre season, really impressed but god knows what went wrong after that injury.

Only thing is about players dropping straight into our starting XI is that still nobody has told me where the new players are going to fit in... For all that this chat has gone round and round the houses, I still haven't read any real plan of where we're going to fit in 3 more players to a squad that has (given the 3 signings) got a keeper, a full defence, lots of midfielders and about 5 strikers.

I assume we have a finite pot to make signings from, and if that is the case then I'd rather see the money spent on getting a real quality striker and centre-half while giving the players we have a proper run out.

The biggest test facing DP as far as I can see is that there seem to be attitude problems with Alessandra, Smalley (given his insipid performance last couple of times I saw him) and Eardley (so we're told).

Still, we could always just have 3 or 4 more players to fill the team.

Besides which, nobody has answered my initial question - where do these 6 players fit in?

Quite simple 2 strikers to start the season if O'grady, Lewis , or even Brooke prove to be better than the two first choice Strikers then they will get their chance if theya are good enough and don't get their chance then penny loses his job or we have so much strength in depth that we are promoted before the end of March. 2 centre halves 1 as a starter the other a young guy who you can mould who will push Hazel plus the other CB for their place keep these guy on their toes. We need a left back its asking alot of Black to step up to the mark just yet Lomax needs to push this new left back or eardley if he doesn't do that then we get rid its make or break time for him this season. Fleming is still unproven to a large extent so we need someone to challenge for that number 1 spot. even with that I still think we need another midfielder to get us to the standard I want us to be at and think we can hit.

Penney should be more than capable of manageing a 25 man squad particularly when 4 are first year pros so in reality its 21 players challenging to be in the first choice 16. Also the chances are if we sign 8 players then the chances are 1 maybe 2 won't hit the hights and maybe a flop thats when these other lads come in.

I rate him as well, banged on about he would be the "star" man when in the youth team. But to many people appear to HINT at him not putting in the effort in training....for it not to have substance. The fact he has skill will mean nothing under Penny if his attitude isn't right. The likes of young Ryan could easily overtake Lewis. Spencer has fallen by the wayside so far...despite his BIG move. How often does that happen.

Chris hall was another who banged them in reserve level , just never had the desire to make it

Fair enough then, each to their own. Personally I think 2 new strikers is too many unless we can offload O'Grady or Alessandra, and I'd rather see a single high-quality recruit than a couple of decent players. Besides which, by January we could have been able to write off Wolfenden and one of the other two on loan or permanently should they have not made the grade, and reinforcements either on loan or permanently at that stage could be a useful.

I think a good manager gets the best out of the players at his disposal, and I look at our squad and see some decent footballers some of whom have the potential to be better than that - I'll be disappointed if Penney doesn't try and bring them on and just surplants them with new recruits.

Edited by De_La_Vega

Only thing is I didn't say that I thought that guys like O'Grady, Alessandra et al are good enough - but if you bring in guys above their heads then you just have a couple of lads sat earning for doing nothing. Even if they aren't good enough, I'd rather them be given a chance to prove themselves than just bypassed and left to rot. Plus I don't think O'Grady ever got a fair run in the team, and although I am far from convinced of his ability I have seen enough hard work that I'd be willing to give him the chance to fail.

To go back a couple too, the point is that I don't hink we have positions that are uncontested - we have a fair few players there already. The fact is that several are untried, but that is going to be worse if we bring in loads more players.

Besides which, nobody has answered my initial question - where do these 6 players fit in? If we add a left-back, a centre-half and a striker then that still leaves 3 outfield players who we're going to sign and I'd like to know where they're going to go rather than just being told we need them. Assuming Purdie plays wide-right then we have already got a large midfield / wide / up front contingent, but given that I rate Eardley and want to see Black play some games this year then I don't see where they all go.

We have signed 2 so far, two central midfielders, I would imagine we would sign

2 first choice strikers

2 first choice central defenders

a first choice left back

a keeper

That makes eight

And how do you mean where do these players fit in?

We need two new centre halves as we only have one in the squad

We need two new strikers, the ones we have are at this moment in time not good enough, simple as, and if they want to prove they are then let them prove it in the ressies

We need a backup keeper to fleming unless Penney is happy with the young lad

We desperately need a new left back. Black is cover for the LB position with Lomax as cover for the RB pos

Thats where they fit in

I think a good manager gets the best out of the players at his disposal, and I look at our squad and see some decent footballers some of whom have the potential to be better than that - I'll be disappointed if Penney doesn't try and bring them on and just surplants them with new recruits.

Sorry but there is no room for sentiment in football.

And as for your small squad argument, with a squad of 16-18 players, the team will more often than not pick itself. It happened under Ritchie, and it happened under Talbot. Prime example, Dean Holden, friggin terrible right back, but there was nobody else to challenge him for his place hence if he was fit, he played, no questions asked.

and in 2007/2008 when we had 20 injuries across the board at one time and could only name 4 subs, god knows what would happen if we would have had a small squad then.

Where is the sentiment in all this? I'm not saying that we have to let the team pick itself but as we look at it now there are only two positions where we have a shoe-in, keeper and centre-back. Given that the initial quote was for 6 outfield players I'm discounting the first.

Then the point I'm making is that if you buy two strikers then O'Grady and Alessandra can play in this wildly successful reserve team that you seem keen to lump all your faith into, but if so then where do Wolfenden, Brooke and other youth players like Eaves get the opportunity to blood themselves against a higher standard of opposition? The way I see it that leaves us with the option of either hindering the development of our better youth players, or just leaving strikers out who are being paid a first-team wage.

You talk about no room for sentiment, but you might want to open your eyes to the fact that we have a 3-sided ground. We have no room for wasted wages either, and that is what having 5 professional strikers would be - and the excludes Brooke etc.

Then the point I'm making is that if you buy two strikers then O'Grady and Alessandra can play in this wildly successful reserve team that you seem keen to lump all your faith into, but if so then where do Wolfenden, Brooke and other youth players like Eaves get the opportunity to blood themselves against a higher standard of opposition? The way I see it that leaves us with the option of either hindering the development of our better youth players, or just leaving strikers out who are being paid a first-team wage.

Honestly... I'm going to spell it out for you. (sorry Mods). They players you mention are :censored:. They are not going to play. Penney is signing better ones. We need at least 11 extra players other than our first 11 to play in the reserves (ie. O'Grady, Alesandra). We also have a youth team, which suprisingly needs youth players to play in it (Brooke etc.)

You speak like the reserve side is some sort of fabled myth. Its not. We need to pick one. If players play well in the youth and reserves they get moved up a level to reserves/first team. Players who play badly in the first team get moved down.

Its not frigging rocket science.

Honestly... I'm going to spell it out for you. (sorry Mods). They players you mention are :censored:. They are not going to play. Penney is signing better ones. We need at least 11 extra players other than our first 11 to play in the reserves (ie. O'Grady, Alesandra). We also have a youth team, which suprisingly needs youth players to play in it (Brooke etc.)

You speak like the reserve side is some sort of fabled myth. Its not. We need to pick one. If players play well in the youth and reserves they get moved up a level to reserves/first team. Players who play badly in the first team get moved down.

Its not frigging rocket science.

completely agree, that sqaud we have now means relegation! just because Brooke scored on his debut doesnt mean he is a definate starter for the new season!

We need some more serious signings, hopefully 2 or 3 marque players as well as another 5!

Im afraid it will be either the reserves or out on loan for mr o'grady and Allesandra, because were we want to be these two cant cut it IMO

We have signed 2 so far, two central midfielders, I would imagine we would sign

2 first choice strikers

2 first choice central defenders

a first choice left back

a keeper

That makes eight

And how do you mean where do these players fit in?

We need two new centre halves as we only have one in the squad

We need two new strikers, the ones we have are at this moment in time not good enough, simple as, and if they want to prove they are then let them prove it in the ressies

We need a backup keeper to fleming unless Penney is happy with the young lad

We desperately need a new left back. Black is cover for the LB position with Lomax as cover for the RB pos

Thats where they fit in

Yes to that list of players we need - FIRST CHOICE

Where is the sentiment in all this?

The fact that you are having a go at penney for sigining better players (in quantity) than the ones we already have, rather than him opting to make the most of whats here. Just a reminder too as to whats happened previously with a small squad when we have had no choice but to chuck the youth in, regardless of whether they are good enough.

1998/1999 - Finished 1 point above drop zone in 20th avoiding relegation on last day of season

1999/2000 - Finished 14th, but looking over our shoulder for large parts of season

2000/2001 - Finished 15th, 7 points above the drop zone and again looking over our shoulder for large parts of the season

2003/2004 - Narrowly avoided relegation finishing 15th, looking over our shoulders again for large parts of season, finishing just outside dropzone

If the youths are good enough then they will get their chance at reserve team level. If they do well at reserve team level then they will get their chance at first team. rather than just chucking them into the first team out of sentiment just so we can blood them against higher opposition. The reserve team is a chance for them to show they can make the step up to first team level.

Yes to that list of players we need - FIRST CHOICE

Exactly!!!

The defence shipped 65 goals last season

The only striker we had who looked remotely capable of scoring was hughes

The midfield desparately lacked backbone

2007/2008 shown how a bad injury crisis could cripple a big squad, god knows what it would have done to a small squad.

And the answer is to keep faith with the crap from last season and have a small squad????????

I will echo prozacs view that if every single player from the spineless, gutless, jobs for the boys squad we had last season was marched out of the door, with the exception of Eardley and Taylor on the basis that they would probably fetch the club decent fees, I would have had no complaints. Further away from Sheridans team of last year we can get, the better!!!

Exactly!!!

2007/2008 shown how a bad injury crisis could cripple a big squad, god knows what it would have done to a small squad.

And the answer is to keep faith with the crap from last season and have a small squad????????

I will echo prozacs view that if every single player from the spineless, gutless, jobs for the boys squad we had last season was marched out of the door, with the exception of Eardley and Taylor on the basis that they would probably fetch the club decent fees, I would have had no complaints. Further away from Sheridans team of last year we can get, the better!!!

That for me is the key point in all of this; and it won’t be simply in terms of personnel – it will be in attitude & mentality of the team, not just different players.

DP & now Gray have said that they run a tight ship, discipline is paramount to them. DP has said on numerous interviews so far that he is looking for a “hungrier & fitter” side. I firmly believe that the alluded to ‘bad trainers’ in the club (Ales & Lee have been mentioned at various times) will not be bad trainers for much longer.

With an emphasis on fitness, mental strength & an altogether tougher / meaner attitude in all areas; I believe we will see real differences in the existing players we already have here.

Lee, Smalley, Ales, COG et all could be like ‘new players’ with a change in mentality & an emphasis on tougher trainer & fitness work.

Imagine a self-confident, fitter, hungrier Deane Smalley burning it down the right flank week in week out – he’d tear it up wouldn’t he? Imagine Lee being able to show the flashes he has done consistently over a 90min game week in week out – he’d be the midfield spark we’ve sorely missed wouldn’t he? Lewis training hard all week; chomping a bit to get off the bench & make an impact in games to earn a starting spot – looking to take his chance when it comes with both hand; be a cracking option of the bench to have wouldn’t it?

Whilst I fully agree with the majority on this thread that 5 or 6 more quality additions are needed; for me the key areas as most see, being a LB, CB’s x 2 & ST’s x 2 – I also feel as I’ve said above; that some of the present lot; deemed not good enough after last season, may just be turned into good enough under this new regime.

I look forward to see who else Is brought in; but I also look forward to DP working with the present lot & potentially sorting them out too!!

Bring it on Mr Penney!!!

[/b]

That for me is the key point in all of this; and it won’t be simply in terms of personnel – it will be in attitude & mentality of the team, not just different players.

DP & now Gray have said that they run a tight ship, discipline is paramount to them. DP has said on numerous interviews so far that he is looking for a “hungrier & fitter” side. I firmly believe that the alluded to ‘bad trainers’ in the club (Ales & Lee have been mentioned at various times) will not be bad trainers for much longer.

With an emphasis on fitness, mental strength & an altogether tougher / meaner attitude in all areas; I believe we will see real differences in the existing players we already have here.

Lee, Smalley, Ales, COG et all could be like ‘new players’ with a change in mentality & an emphasis on tougher trainer & fitness work.

Imagine a self-confident, fitter, hungrier Deane Smalley burning it down the right flank week in week out – he’d tear it up wouldn’t he? Imagine Lee being able to show the flashes he has done consistently over a 90min game week in week out – he’d be the midfield spark we’ve sorely missed wouldn’t he? Lewis training hard all week; chomping a bit to get off the bench & make an impact in games to earn a starting spot – looking to take his chance when it comes with both hand; be a cracking option of the bench to have wouldn’t it?

Whilst I fully agree with the majority on this thread that 5 or 6 more quality additions are needed; for me the key areas as most see, being a LB, CB’s x 2 & ST’s x 2 – I also feel as I’ve said above; that some of the present lot; deemed not good enough after last season, may just be turned into good enough under this new regime.

I look forward to see who else Is brought in; but I also look forward to DP working with the present lot & potentially sorting them out too!!

Bring it on Mr Penney!!!

Good post mate!

A really self confident and fit Smalley would certainly improve the side no end. I thought he was brilliant against Walsall and has shown on numerous occaisions this season he has the talent, just not the consistancy. If DP can get this into his game I can see him keeping that right wing spot. As for Lee I think he has looked the part in the few appearances he made last season, heard on here that JR said DP didnt rate him, so was expecting him to be released. I think that would be a bad move on our part and hope he stays and gets match fit.

[/b]

Bring it on Mr Penney!!!

Agreed and it's thiis combination of new signings and existing players, who are fitter in mind and body, that excites me about next season. It's all about confidence, and if Penney and Gray can turn the players into a disciplined, fit and hungry squad, the confidence will follow and we could be in for some good times.

I'm genuinely excited with what I've heard so far from Penney and Gray regarding their approach and preparation for next season.

Last season I think the genuine approach, off-field activities and cliques had a negative effect on the youngsters and this affected them on the pitch.

Bringing back professionalism, discipline, commitment and focus will rejuvenate the likes of Smalley, Alessandra, Eardley and even Taylor. I'd go so far and say that our youth players plus the newbies like Brooke, Black, Dawson, Rowney and Ollerenshaw will galvanise our squad for next season, our success on the pitch and future income either through player sales or promotion.

We went backwards this season and the bad influences have been weeded out and shown the door.

There was expectation last summer but this year I think we could become the dark horses of this league with shrewd signings, one or two loan deals (possibly from Sunderland and a couple of other Prem clubs) and fast developing youth players.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but didn't Sheridan's first season see a small, tightly knit squad with a couple of real quality players get to the play-offs? Besides which, I'm not arguing that Alessandra and O'Grady are worth first team places - I'm saying that economics has to be balanced and I cannot see how we can afford to have the pair of them sat in the reserves pulling in good wages while we have 2 first team strikers playing week in, week out. Plus you keep talking about youth players who excel getting a chance but I can't see why you think that if we have several "first team" strikers playing.

My basic point is that we have baggage in this team and I don't see it being a good idea to bury it beneath shiny new signings. I'd rather see us pick up a guy like Danny Graham on what one assumes would be a lucrative deal than just bring in numbers of players in the belief that a big squad will catapult us to promotion. Economics at this level of football, in my eyes, has to insist on keeping a balanced squad and I don't see that being achieved by bringing in numbers. It is quality that we need.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but didn't Sheridan's first season see a small, tightly knit squad with a couple of real quality players get to the play-offs? Besides which, I'm not arguing that Alessandra and O'Grady are worth first team places - I'm saying that economics has to be balanced and I cannot see how we can afford to have the pair of them sat in the reserves pulling in good wages while we have 2 first team strikers playing week in, week out. Plus you keep talking about youth players who excel getting a chance but I can't see why you think that if we have several "first team" strikers playing.

My basic point is that we have baggage in this team and I don't see it being a good idea to bury it beneath shiny new signings. I'd rather see us pick up a guy like Danny Graham on what one assumes would be a lucrative deal than just bring in numbers of players in the belief that a big squad will catapult us to promotion. Economics at this level of football, in my eyes, has to insist on keeping a balanced squad and I don't see that being achieved by bringing in numbers. It is quality that we need.

Who says we wont ship some contracted players out once these 8 or 9 come in?

Friend of a friend rumour that I was told suggested that O'Grady was on a good wage, and Alessandra has signed up for 3 years - neither of them is scoring consistently and I can't see that either will be shifted easily. Who would want to take them on?

I've no issues with Latics buying quality, and I have no desire to see good players ignored in order that crap ones at the club get cozy niches and games under their belts. However I can see only bad things coming out of our having too many players to give them all a chance. Yeovil, Carlisle and others have done pretty well out of having small but good teams where everyone is involved and the spirit is there - if we have a bit of cash then I'd like to see us replicate that with a higher standard of player.

Even forgetting the money issue, I'd like to see O'Grady given a fair run, because I don't think he is bereft of ability - even if he doesn't really look like a goal threat - and I thought Sheridan treated him poorly last year.

Exactly!!!

I will echo prozacs view that if every single player from the spineless, gutless, jobs for the boys squad we had last season was marched out of the door, with the exception of Eardley and Taylor on the basis that they would probably get into the first team of any other League One club in the division and that they had quality to our team., I would have had no complaints. Further away from Sheridans team of last year we can get, the better!!!

Fixed for troof.

I'm genuinely excited with what I've heard so far from Penney and Gray regarding their approach and preparation for next season.

Last season I think the genuine approach, off-field activities and cliques had a negative effect on the youngsters and this affected them on the pitch.

Bringing back professionalism, discipline, commitment and focus will rejuvenate the likes of Smalley, Alessandra, Eardley and even Taylor. I'd go so far and say that our youth players plus the newbies like Brooke, Black, Dawson, Rowney and Ollerenshaw will galvanise our squad for next season, our success on the pitch and future income either through player sales or promotion.

We went backwards this season and the bad influences have been weeded out and shown the door.

There was expectation last summer but this year I think we could become the dark horses of this league with shrewd signings, one or two loan deals (possibly from Sunderland and a couple of other Prem clubs) and fast developing youth players.

Agree with you Midsblue.

I have said previously that last season we went downhill from the end of September onwards. Far more than I realised at the time.

There was one incident that turned the whole season for me and led me to believe in the "cliques" you refer to. The incident was at Scunthorpe where Hughes had Taylor by the throat. I won't forget that moment, nor will I forget the lack of action taken by the other players, the captain or the manager. It was basically swept under the carpet. Whilst things happen on the training pitch, they are not in the public glare. When it happens in front of 4 or 5 thousand people, the press and TV cameras, it needs dealing with. For me the lack of comment and/or action from the manager showed that there was a lack of discipline and what followed over the next 3/4 months backed up that thought.

DP has said some very positive things so far, but the emphasis that he is putting on discipline, fitness and hunger give me cause to believe that we may just see a season of progress and in a tight and competitive division, darkhorses can be a better bet.

Cheers,

Harry