Lee hughes

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Picked up my season ticket this afternoon and saw him, and had his latics training gear on. Maybe just keeping himself fit.

He can't be keeping himself that fit....hanging around the ticket office waiting to be seen so that rumours can fly around here has never made my flabb turn to muscle.

Hughes is the only player I know where this could be true!

A player (that we released due to having a bad attitude and drinking culture) invited back to the club, by the new manager for pre-season training, to keep himself fit waiting for a new club to offer him a contract?

If he was as bad as he was portrayed at the end of last seaon we are mad. If not, sign him up. Like Greegs, he is far better than any replacement I have seen us linked with. (Clarke included). If Abbott could score goals playing next to Facey, he must be awesome.

A player (that we released due to having a bad attitude and drinking culture) invited back to the club, by the new manager for pre-season training, to keep himself fit waiting for a new club to offer him a contract?

If he was as bad as he was portrayed at the end of last seaon we are mad. If not, sign him up. Like Greegs, he is far better than any replacement I have seen us linked with. (Clarke included). If Abbott could score goals playing next to Facey, he must be awesome.

The thing is, my understanding, from a director and a player, is that he's nothing like the bad boy he's portrayed as on here......

People need to stand back and think, for a guy who apparently had a crap second half of a season for us but still managed 18 goals for us, as well as the many assists he made for us at the start of the season, he isn't half criticised, if Hughes was drinking every other night then why didn't the manager do anything about it. From what I've heard Penney and Gray have a no-nonsense approach, if they can keeep Hughes in line that 18 goals could easily be 25 or more....along with Abbott too.

People need to stand back and think, for a guy who apparently had a crap second half of a season for us but still managed 18 goals for us, as well as the many assists he made for us at the start of the season, he isn't half criticised, if Hughes was drinking every other night then why didn't the manager do anything about it.

I think you highlight the difference in managers well. One didn't (apparently) do anything about it. The other shipped him off to Blackpool. Was that decision discipliniary or financial? Don't know. Was one manager's reaction inadequate and the other's OTT? Don't know.

From what I've heard Penney and Gray have a no-nonsense approach, if they can keeep Hughes in line that 18 goals could easily be 25 or more....along with Abbott too.

I totally agree with the above, although it's not just about keeping him in line it's about keeping him hungry to play for Latics.

I do, however, have some reservations. I should clarify that these a from the viewpoint of not really having a clue (beyond rumour on here) what Hughes has done wrong, so will assume for a minute he did nothing (of any significance).

- We have on our books a proven goalscorer who's contract is up

- He was offered, in Latics terms, a massive contract 5 months ago (I make the assumption that the offer was genuine and not made in the knowledge that there was no way he would sign it)

- He rejected that offer, as was his right, believing he could negotiate a bigger deal elsewhere

- The offer was withdrawn, as was Latics' right

- The player's form dropped, his workrate fell and he appeared to put on a few extra pounds

I would guess any contract offer we make to Hughes would be significantly smaller than the January offer, but probably more than he's earned for the last two years.

Is a player really going to give their all for the cause on such an offer, or is he likely to go through the motions and take the money knowing it's not quite what it might have been?

The fit, hungry and motivated Lee Hughes we saw up until January will indeed be a major threat to opposition defences. The one we saw from February onwards is one I can take or leave. There is a risk that a cut price contract may leave us with the latter.

If the club are genuinely considering an offer to Hughes, the manager will no doubt have a number of people within the club to ask for advice, to balance out the cost of playing him, the risks that he is "trouble" and the goalscoring rewards that will come.

Me? If I can guarantee the right Lee Hughes on the pitch without any distractions off it then we should get him under contract again.

Edited by opinions4u

Lee Hughes was in the Hanging Gate last night, one of the lads i was with asked him if he had anything tied up for next season, he said no but he has been offered the chance to train at latics and also kidderminster. Also said he was offered a contract at notts county but knocked it back.

I would guess any contract offer we make to Hughes would be significantly smaller than the January offer, but probably more than he's earned for the last two years.

Is a player really going to give their all for the cause on such an offer, or is he likely to go through the motions and take the money knowing it's not quite what it might have been?

again - based on rumour and conjecture - if DP spoke to Gregan and Hughes on Tues and made both an offer - would we really want a player who turned down a good offer in January and now won't commit to a second offer? If he were to sign again it would be because there is nothing better on the table.

Sounds like Kilkenny all over again.