Firefox 3.5

footy68

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wireless was in there then, but there will be amendments to 802.11 - (802.11-2007) and maybe the imminent 802.11n. There may be some Windows network updates, and it was almost all geared towards Windows Server 2003 so I'm reckoning there must be something newer in there. Does it still make references to WinNT? Heavens above...

eee, A+, that takes me back, I did the course for that about 8 years ago and had a similar experience, the only thing I took away with me that I didn't know previously was some info about obsolete bus controllers and a bit about scsi which I haven't used since but still remember.

eee, A+, that takes me back, I did the course for that about 8 years ago and had a similar experience, the only thing I took away with me that I didn't know previously was some info about obsolete bus controllers and a bit about scsi which I haven't used since but still remember.

That's it. That's the word I was looking for - obsolete. The whole programme more or less seemed about 10 years out-of-date...

Does anyone else have a problem with the google toolbars spell checker? It's one of only a couple of the google toolbar buttons I have (I just drag and drop them onto the normal toolbar) and it's being strange.

For example, where before it would do this:

Oldham is a large town in Greater Manchester, England.[1] It lies amongst the Pennines on elevated ground between the rivers Irk and Medlock, 5.3 miles (8.5 km) south-southeast of Rochdale, and 6.9 miles (11.1 km) northeast of the city of Manchester. Oldham is surrounded by several smaller settlements which together form the Metropolitan Borough of Oldham, of which Oldham is the administrative

I get this type of thing:

Oldham is a large town in Greater Manchester, England.[1] It lies amongst the Pennines on elevated ground between the rivers Irk and Medlock, 5.3 miles (8.5 km) south-southeast of Rochdale, and 6.9 miles (11.1 km) northeast of the city of Manchester. Oldham is surrounded by several smaller settlements which together form the Metropolitan Borough of Oldham, of which Oldham is the administrative

So it's picking up the end/start of two words as being wrong. Stupid bloody thing.

I hate any toolbar, even worse when they install themselves surreptitiously with other software if you click through the install too quickly. I don't see what they add to the browsing experience.

I add 2 buttons from the google toolbar too my bookmarks toolbar (Gmail and spelling) which I use countless times a day. But those aside I agree they're on the whole annoying and useless.

I hate any toolbar, even worse when they install themselves surreptitiously with other software if you click through the install too quickly. I don't see what they add to the browsing experience.

absolutely feck all and sometimes you cant uninstall them without uninstalling the software you downloaded, the only reason i can see them doing it for is to p*ss people off and to trick their advertisers by saying "2million people use our services so advertise with us!"

Wireless was in there then, but there will be amendments to 802.11 - (802.11-2007) and maybe the imminent 802.11n. There may be some Windows network updates, and it was almost all geared towards Windows Server 2003 so I'm reckoning there must be something newer in there. Does it still make references to WinNT? Heavens above...

Win NT still comes into it and still teaches the old FAT system which I dont see why to be honest

• 2 weeks later...
Recently got rid of AVG as had that problem, but nothing now. Have Firefox with the Persona addition, but cleared off all the tool type stuff.

Aware you know your stuff JP but could it be a pre-fetch issue? Worth a try?

que? :grin:

sorry mate,i know ze basics!

i use AVG too-didn't know there was clashing issues between the two.

so,it could be wise to lose AVG ?

persona..same level as AVG for security?

my firefox browser isn't really loaded up on tools.

and as for pre-fetch..eh?..help..i'm lost!!!! :blush:

now as odd as it sounds,over the last 5 mins,everything has suddenly speeded up-no problems again..

so,temporary BT problem maybe? (though this was happening most of yesterday too)

Edited by johnny punkster

Recently got rid of AVG as had that problem, but nothing now. Have Firefox with the Persona addition, but cleared off all the tool type stuff.

Aware you know your stuff JP but could it be a pre-fetch issue? Worth a try?

I too had to ditch AVG after years of usage as it's just become buggy as hell.

I've not had problems with OWTB or anything else through FF3.5

what new free security can you recommend then..

i'll give it a try...

Matt suggested COMODO which I've moved on to and been very happy with. But I will admit it caused no end of problems for Dave Ragg when he installed it.

So I'd suggest you don't run the auto updates on installing it, as that seemed to be the problem for Dave.

There's a thread about it somewhere...

Are you on BT broadband Punkster if so could be easy solution?

Pre-fetch

click start

then run ...type in prefetch

brings up list

select everything and delete the lot wont do any harm at all just get rid of lots of guff...mine 122 start up bits.

If on BT Broadband should have got something called netplus protect from McAfee for free, working well on mine.

AVG as Ackey says suddenly full of bugs, my PC running really quick and stable on OWTB.

Free stuff at moment? not sure but gone off AVG. (COMMODO ok for sure with UPDATES crape without...) BUT IF on BT Broadband new netprotect far better than old Norton.

cheers for that..deleted the prefetch list (132)

forgot the bt free mcAfee,but i remember the norton program they provided going tits up on me and not being happy..so will look into it.

cheers for that!

I use Comodo but haven't updated recently as it caused a proper :censored: storm. Will be changing soon but not to AVG, tried it when I got my Vista lappy and it slowed it right down. Had no probs with 3.5.......yet.

Will be amazed if the two things dont cure your problem. If you are using BT Broadband now without the new McAfee upgrade thats your problem. 100% certain whatever you have been using. The Norton version was garbage the new one much better.

Also do a windows update and then download Filehippo and run that for other updates.

What hub have you got JP? I've just got £5 a month knocked off my option 3 broadband and a new hub and phone. MUCH improved.

its the old hub...white one.

not arsed about upgrading the bb speed(£20 a month).

its connected via cable (from downstairs to loft) not wireless.

what i'm noticing now is everywhere has speeded up,but OWTB is still hit and miss as to loading or not..pressing refresh a lot here again..but like i say,only here...

windows is up to date-i hear there is a major update to be released today though...

its the old hub...white one.

not arsed about upgrading the bb speed(£20 a month).

its connected via cable (from downstairs to loft) not wireless.

what i'm noticing now is everywhere has speeded up,but OWTB is still hit and miss as to loading or not..pressing refresh a lot here again..but like i say,only here...

windows is up to date-i hear there is a major update to be released today though...

major release for windows???

latest problem..

(either firefox-which i suspect-or a site one)

owtb needs to be continually refreshed to load the pages.

other sites need it at times also(not all),but owtb is easily the worse.

so..site prob or firefox?

after about 24 hours of posting this,the problem only relates just to this site only now...

just seems odd it's happening here still..