Latics target fans of future

From today's Chronicle -

ATHLETIC are to make a major push in the coming season to attract young fans to Boundary Park.

The club’s American-based owners are keen to get children into the habit of watching their local team.

Chief-executive Alan Hardy explained: “We are working closely with our marketing and community departments on a number of initiatives as we want to get youngsters interested in the club.

“Since the mid-1980s we have been encouraging children by giving free tickets to schools which we believe is important as they are the next generation of fans.”

What would you say the % of current home attendance is 10 years old or below?

My suggestion would be to provide free admission to local schools but on basis that they are admitted with school in attendance i.e. arranged via that school, kids supervised by approved adults (parents, teachers etc). Also, subsidised shirts for kids of those schools.

By doing this the club is getting those kids attracted to Oldham Athletic at an early age rather than other clubs. Those kids are wearing the shirt (and hopefully overtaking the % representation in schools of other clubs) and attending matches, which will hopefully convince them to follow OAFC and persuade their parents to then take them rather than the school and increase the attendance that way as well as additional ticket sales etc

why didn't they just vastly reduce the price of the season ticket,then offer a child season ticket at a reduced price too when bought together?

then,latics would have had more bums on seats (paid for at that,thus latics getting more revenue) and there won't be gangs of very uninterested kids at latics there because "it was free and there nowt else to do"?

From today's Chronicle -

ATHLETIC are to make a major push in the coming season to attract young fans to Boundary Park.

The club’s American-based owners are keen to get children into the habit of watching their local team.

Chief-executive Alan Hardy explained: “We are working closely with our marketing and community departments on a number of initiatives as we want to get youngsters interested in the club.

“Since the mid-1980s we have been encouraging children by giving free tickets to schools which we believe is important as they are the next generation of fans.”

What would you say the % of current home attendance is 10 years old or below?

My suggestion would be to provide free admission to local schools but on basis that they are admitted with school in attendance i.e. arranged via that school, kids supervised by approved adults (parents, teachers etc). Also, subsidised shirts for kids of those schools.

By doing this the club is getting those kids attracted to Oldham Athletic at an early age rather than other clubs. Those kids are wearing the shirt (and hopefully overtaking the % representation in schools of other clubs) and attending matches, which will hopefully convince them to follow OAFC and persuade their parents to then take them rather than the school and increase the attendance that way as well as additional ticket sales etc

At last someone is realising the obvious

why didn't they just vastly reduce the price of the season ticket,then offer a child season ticket at a reduced price too when bought together?

then,latics would have had more bums on seats (paid for at that,thus latics getting more revenue) and there won't be gangs of very uninterested kids at latics there because "it was free and there nowt else to do"?

lol they ave to make some money somewhere!

lol they ave to make some money somewhere!

read my post again then.

won't make money by giving away tickets to uninterested kids will they?

offering discounts will get anothe bum on seats.

1 extra paying customer = revenue.

1 empty seat / freebie = lost revenue

wonder what percentage return latics have on latics supporting kids first came through getting a free ticket from school?

At last someone is realising the obvious

As a father of two, I know the power of child persuasion. I also know of some parents who didn't actually follow a team who then began to attend matches purely because their kids were passionate and badgered for their parents to start to take them.

Being down south, I'm unsure of the Oldham town centre these days but I'm guessing that OAFC shirts are only available at the ground or perhaps a small section in mainstream and independent sport retailers.

Get the kids parading the shirt and attending matches and peer pressure will mean the club regains the next generation from other clubs.

As Prem clubs becomng less accessible, there is a huge opportunity for the club and I'm equally bemused as to why the owners or the marketing team (where's Sean when you want him - is he still at Huddersfield as their presence in and around the town plus aimed at the kids is massive) haven't seized their chance!

you used to be able to get a kids season ticket for £50 if they were a member of the Boundary Blues but I don't know if you still can. At that price it's no big deal if junior decides he doesn't want to go every week. That nice lady in the ticket office gave me BB membership and 2 season tickets for £100 - bargain (altho that wasn't this year)

"Chief-executive Alan Hardy explained: “We are working closely with our marketing and community departments on a number of initiatives as we want to get youngsters interested in the club."

what marketing dept ???!!!???

Exactly, whoever allowed that home shirt for public release and hasn't seized the opportunity to strike a deal with the likes of Adidas or Nike in the current climate needs shooting! We had an opportunity last season and like many opportunties, we make the wrong decision.

you used to be able to get a kids season ticket for £50 if they were a member of the Boundary Blues but I don't know if you still can. At that price it's no big deal if junior decides he doesn't want to go every week. That nice lady in the ticket office gave me BB membership and 2 season tickets for £100 - bargain (altho that wasn't this year)

yes you can still get this deal. i only found out recently, and swiftly purchased one. its not that much different than paying each week, but i know he will get the buzz of actually owning his own season ticket. plus theres a few other things like a birthday card and the christmas party. he can just pick and choose his games at that price, its a great deal. :grin:

Exactly, whoever allowed that home shirt for public release and hasn't seized the opportunity to strike a deal with the likes of Adidas or Nike in the current climate needs shooting! We had an opportunity last season and like many opportunties, we make the wrong decision.

Mids, I seriosuly doubt Nike or Addidas are intrested in supplying Oldham at this stage a club languishing in the old 3rd Division.

THe current deal, also with a main shirt supplier will save significanly on costs per shirt, thereby more profit per shirt, and a bigger push by the smaller supplier (admittedly could do with being more probably) who has more to lose if it does not shift.

The club for me are targetting kid's of a younger age than they should be putting all there campaign into. The club need to be seriously pinpoint targetting those in year 8 and 9. 13/14 year old's. The type of age when parents give that little bit of freedom for their little one's to go off with there mates.

Get a big batch of tickets distributed to these year groups throughout school's in Oldham/Ashton and the like. You'll soon find it's the same kid's wanting them off their teacher and the same kid's turning up with the same group of mates each weekend as it's "something to do" and can be a bit of a laugh.

Keep this going until they're all 16 and I guarentee that you'll see a sizeable percentage feeling the urge to buy season tickets. A number who will come to the bigger games and a few who will come every now and then. Same thing happened with me at 'dale when I was at school. The amount that have season ticket's now from those I used to go with on freebie's is huge.

The club for me are targetting kid's of a younger age than they should be putting all there campaign into. The club need to be seriously pinpoint targetting those in year 8 and 9. 13/14 year old's. The type of age when parents give that little bit of freedom for their little one's to go off with there mates.

Get a big batch of tickets distributed to these year groups throughout school's in Oldham/Ashton and the like. You'll soon find it's the same kid's wanting them off their teacher and the same kid's turning up with the same group of mates each weekend as it's "something to do" and can be a bit of a laugh.

Keep this going until they're all 16 and I guarentee that you'll see a sizeable percentage feeling the urge to buy season tickets. A number who will come to the bigger games and a few who will come every now and then. Same thing happened with me at 'dale when I was at school. The amount that have season ticket's now from those I used to go with on freebie's is huge.

Conversly, it was school tickets that got me going when I was a lot younger than that*. With youngsters you are more likely to force adults to attend and pay full whack too.

*Not exactly sure, but Help Shiny remembers the game as he was my guardian and got slaughtered for losing me when I wandered off with other kids.

Nike provide kit to lower league clubs on the basis they take the profit from sales. Hardly in our interest.

Mids, I seriosuly doubt Nike or Addidas are intrested in supplying Oldham at this stage a club languishing in the old 3rd Division.

THe current deal, also with a main shirt supplier will save significanly on costs per shirt, thereby more profit per shirt, and a bigger push by the smaller supplier (admittedly could do with being more probably) who has more to lose if it does not shift.

You'd be surprised how many clubs smaller than us and at a lower level than us are agreeing generous deals with the likes of Nike and Adidas. The reason is that these suppliers are crying out for distribution channels to flog shirts that are of similar design and template but with a colour change and manufactured in sub-Asian countries. Production costs are low but it's the distribution that drying up with so many other suppliers now in the market.

Granted, not the same kind of deal as Championship or Prem but still on par to Carbrini and quality plus a well-known brand to boot

Nike provide kit to lower league clubs on the basis they take the profit from sales. Hardly in our interest.

I know people who have worked on these deals and trust me that the clubs are returning a decent margin on sales now with negotiations now back with the club due to distribution. Production costs are at their lowest now due to country of manufacture, vanilla templates with technology to quickly change colour swatches accordingly to club colours and badges.

I know people who have worked on these deals and trust me that the clubs are returning a decent margin on sales now with negotiations now back with the club due to distribution. Production costs are at their lowest now due to country of manufacture, vanilla templates with technology to quickly change colour swatches accordingly to club colours and badges.

[/quo

we have different info relating to some clubs but fair enough. Nike kits are "vanilla" though. Just bog standard corporate designs. With Carbrini , from ewhat I've read from Alan Hardy there is the possibility of something distinct to Latics in the future.

How many shirts do we sell a season? 500-1000? How much more would it cost to use adidas....£5?

I'd rather pay the extra. Or would TTA be happy to foot it in exchange for us having a quality shirt promoting the club, as opposed to Carlotti/Carbrini/Pony/Sparta etc which are tacky by comparison. Second rate shirt manufacter = second rate club. All over a few grand!

Of course the wider sponsorship package we enjoy with JD currently defines our kit supplier but going forward it would be nice to reconsider. I can't imagine Adidas/Nike are interested in our revenue - adidas alone turns over about 7x the entire the Premier League does! It's more about dominence for them.

There are currently a few ideas in the pipeline for getting kids trough the turnstiles. If anyone has any good ideas then let us know, they will certainly be looked in to.

Incidentally, we have had approx 40 new Boundary Blues season tickets issued this year. It may not sound like much, but, last season we had 320 BB season ticket holders so 12.5% new uptake is quite good!!

A BB season ticket gets you into the Chaddy or Rochdale Road stands, away trips at massive discount prices, a free gift, chance to be a mascot, Christmas and end of season parties at discounted prices, birthday card, newsletters, and chance to be a ball boy. If you don’t want to buy a season ticket then kids can be member of BB for £10 and you get all the benefits just without the season ticket.

There are currently a few ideas in the pipeline for getting kids trough the turnstiles. If anyone has any good ideas then let us know, they will certainly be looked in to.

Incidentally, we have had approx 40 new Boundary Blues season tickets issued this year. It may not sound like much, but, last season we had 320 BB season ticket holders so 12.5% new uptake is quite good!!

A BB season ticket gets you into the Chaddy or Rochdale Road stands, away trips at massive discount prices, a free gift, chance to be a mascot, Christmas and end of season parties at discounted prices, birthday card, newsletters, and chance to be a ball boy. If you don’t want to buy a season ticket then kids can be member of BB for £10 and you get all the benefits just without the season ticket.

Thasnk for this Lisa, my son is 2 1/2 but as we live in Kent a season ticket is not practical.

However, membership of Boundary Blues most certainly is!

I'll get is sorted!

Thasnk for this Lisa, my son is 2 1/2 but as we live in Kent a season ticket is not practical.

I'll get is sorted!

PS May I suggest, as part of this that the sticky at the rop of the board is updated, and maybe links to both the season ticket and non season ticket option.

I'll get is sorted!

Singe, BB is for kids 6-16, for the younger kids there is Chaddys Gang, I think it is £10 to be a member of Chaddys Gang and you get a free gift along with a Christmas party and a certificate of membership!