Penney was livid, he walked by the side of us to the dressing room at the end, I think a few were going to get something the wouldn't forget.

He now realises many of the squad he inherited are not good enough, I suspect he will be sending quite a few out on loan and looking to sign more than 2 more players.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He now realises many of the squad he inherited are not good enough, I suspect he will be sending quite a few out on loan and looking to sign more than 2 more players.

Could you put some names to that statement; as i value your opinions on player scouting etc. Who does Penney now see as not good enough????

Could you put some names to that statement; as i value your opinions on player scouting etc. Who does Penney now see as not good enough????

A few to be honest. Whilst I think our probable starting 11 would be able to cope, I'm not sure with what we have as back-up.

A few to be honest. Whilst I think our probable starting 11 would be able to cope, I'm not sure with what we have as back-up.

Starting line up so far:-

Brill

Eardley

Gregan

Rueben

Jacobson

Right Wing open

Furman

Worthington

Taylor

Abbott

O'Grady

For me the second striking spot is open but O'Grady must be in the box seat. Many have this notion of Abbott being a target man, he isn't - he's the goalscorer of the team he played off Booth at Hudds. O'GRady could be our target man unless we sign A N Other. As for right-wing I'd expect it to be between Lee, Purdie and Smalley. The other nine look to be shoe-ins so far BUT injuries, crap form and players who force their way in as well as new signings will probably make my predictive line-up to be way wide of the mark!

Edited by oafcprozac

Halifax Fan here!

Of course we are pleased with our performance last night and our team so far looks alot stronger and fitter than we could have imagined. We knew the players we kept from last season could play football but overall we looked good. At the end of the day its only a pre season friendly and i remember our fans getting carried away last season and we lost our first game 3-0 to Bamber Bridge!

As for the Shay, it is the same site as the old ground and the only thing that hasnt changed really is the skircoat stand (opposite the new one) and the pitch. The rugby club sold their old ground in 2001 i think and moved in with the football club which made it more financially viable. the pitch looked in mint condition last night and to be fair does for most of the year. It does get a little bit ropey Jan/Feb time when both teams are playing on it but other than that its fine.

And the old guy upfront! His name is Ryan Sugden and played over 100 games for us in the conference a couple of years back, Hes 27!

Good luck for the season guys!

Lewi and Whitaker would be two certainties imo

Lewis out on a 6 month / season loan deal would be something i'd like to see happen; if we can draft in another striker.

That would leave us with Abbott, COG, new striker & Wolfy & Brooke as back up.

Massive season for Lewi; as he has the ability IMO; just not the application or desire at present. A move to a top half L2 side; or a bottom half L1 side will hopefully get him the games he needs; and will also hopefully put some fire in his belly to perform once he's back at BP.

Paul Black & Rowney could also benifit from the same deals.......all these would need some sort of recall clause if they are possible on long term deals; just in case we are struck down by a swine flu bout or the like & Big Gordon & the youth lads have to step up & play!!

As for Whitts; if he had the consistencey to match his flashes of talent; he'd not be playing in our division; he'd be well up the football ladder.......he goes missing too ofter but is well worthy of his squad place; not starting place though.

Halifax Fan here!

Of course we are pleased with our performance last night and our team so far looks alot stronger and fitter than we could have imagined. We knew the players we kept from last season could play football but overall we looked good. At the end of the day its only a pre season friendly and i remember our fans getting carried away last season and we lost our first game 3-0 to Bamber Bridge!

As for the Shay, it is the same site as the old ground and the only thing that hasnt changed really is the skircoat stand (opposite the new one) and the pitch. The rugby club sold their old ground in 2001 i think and moved in with the football club which made it more financially viable. the pitch looked in mint condition last night and to be fair does for most of the year. It does get a little bit ropey Jan/Feb time when both teams are playing on it but other than that its fine.

And the old guy upfront! His name is Ryan Sugden and played over 100 games for us in the conference a couple of years back, Hes 27!

We know Ryan well, he started his career at Boundary Park and scored one goal for us - relegating Blackpool in the process. We had high hopes for him but he just wasn't good enough for League One. I see you have our former defender there as well Mark Hotte.

Lewis out on a 6 month / season loan deal would be something i'd like to see happen; if we can draft in another striker.

Massive season for Lewi; as he has the ability IMO; just not the application or desire at present. A move to a top half L2 side; or a bottom half L1 side will hopefully get him the games he needs; and will also hopefully put some fire in his belly to perform once he's back at BP.

Paul Black & Rowney could also benifit from the same deals.......all these would need some sort of recall clause if they are possible on long term deals; just in case we are struck down by a swine flu bout or the like & Big Gordon & the youth lads have to step up & play!!

As for Whitts; if he had the consistencey to match his flashes of talent; he'd not be playing in our division; he'd be well up the football ladder.......he goes missing too ofter but is well worthy of his squad place; not starting place though.

A 6 month loan deal would be just the kick up the arse Lewi needs. I think Penney isn't impressed with him and his attitude to the new work ethic DP expects from all his players. It is sink or swim time for him imo. It's frustrating as he has the ability but I have quaestioned his desire for quite some time. It's a similar problem with Deano BUT I think Smalley has more common sense and will knuckle down. As for Lewi who knows?

Edited by oafcprozac

A 6 month loan deal would be just the kick up the arse Lewi needs. I think Penney isn't impressed with him and his attitude to the new work ethic DP expects from all his players. It is sink or swim time for him imo. It's frustrating as he has the ability but I have quaestioned his desire for quite some time. It's a simialr problem with Deano BUT I think Smalley has more common sense and will knuckle down. As for Lewi who knows?

Possible

Bout wouldnt surprise me to see him do absolutely superb there, the other deal turn it into a permanent, then once he has his contract, lazyness returns

Halifax Fan here!

Good luck in your journey back into the football league. Halifax is a good town to visit and once that big stand is finished you will have a stadium to be proud of

Well fancy that, he looked 50 years old! :lol:

Good luck to you also - I sat in the home stand and you seemed to have some decent and knowledgable fans.

I can't say who the manager sees as not good enough, but I think he knows exactly what he wants and you will find out soon by his moves in the transfer market in and out.

PS.

I still think the Mike Byron, the young centre back at at Droylsden is much better than any of the trialists I have seen so far.

I can't say who the manager sees as not good enough, but I think he knows exactly what he wants and you will find out soon by his moves in the transfer market in and out.

PS.

I still think the Mike Byron, the young centre back at at Droylsden is much better than any of the trialists I have seen so far.

Ditto with Nathan D'Laryea at Hyde the other night.

Starting line up so far:-

Brill

Eardley

Gregan

Rueben

Jacobson

Right Wing open

Furman

Worthington

Taylor

Abbott

O'Grady

For me the second striking spot is open but O'Grady must be in the box seat. Many have this notion of Abbott being a target man, he isn't - he's the goalscorer of the team he played off Booth at Hudds. O'GRady could be our target man unless we sign A N Other. As for right-wing I'd expect it to be between Lee, Purdie and Smalley. The other nine look to be shoe-ins so far BUT injuries, crap form and players who force their way in as well as new signings will probably make my predictive line-up to be way wide of the mark!

I personally wouldn't play a second forward. I'd play a similar formation to the likes of Chelski, United and City, with the one man upfront and with two just behind.

I personally wouldn't play a second forward. I'd play a similar formation to the likes of Chelski, United and City, with the one man upfront and with two just behind.

At our level that kind of complexity works only on very rare occasions.

KISS > Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Oooops! sent that by accident before i'd added my team lol

Brill

Gregan Hazell (CBs)

Eardley Jacobson (WBs)

Worthington (DM)

Furman Lee (MCs)

Smalley Taylor (AM/FWDs)

Abbott (ST)

The two players behind the one forward need to have pace and an eye for goal. Theres no question smalley and taylor have pace; with smalley playing upfront for the youth team he obviously has an eye for goal, and we all know taylor does as well.

Havn't been to any of the pre season games of yet, but it sounds like furman is going to be a star player. Furman and Lee will be our most creative players so put them in the middle to create the chances for the front 3 and play worthington just behind them two to clean anything up.

Have Eardley and Jacobson as wing backs as they can both bomb forward and put in good crosses for the tall Abbott.

O'Grady would be a like for like replacement for Abbott.

We havn't seen Purdie of yet and if he turns out to be amazing then this could all change, but atm i like the look of this team

Oooops! sent that by accident before i'd added my team lol

Brill

Gregan Hazell (CBs)

Eardley Jacobson (WBs)

Worthington (DM)

Furman Lee (MCs)

Smalley Taylor (AM/FWDs)

Abbott (ST)

The two players behind the one forward need to have pace and an eye for goal. Theres no question smalley and taylor have pace; with smalley playing upfront for the youth team he obviously has an eye for goal, and we all know taylor does as well.

Havn't been to any of the pre season games of yet, but it sounds like furman is going to be a star player. Furman and Lee will be our most creative players so put them in the middle to create the chances for the front 3 and play worthington just behind them two to clean anything up.

Have Eardley and Jacobson as wing backs as they can both bomb forward and put in good crosses for the tall Abbott.

O'Grady would be a like for like replacement for Abbott.

We havn't seen Purdie of yet and if he turns out to be amazing then this could all change, but atm i like the look of this team

as I said, Abbott may be tall but has never been an out and out target man, he played off Booth at Hudds, he'll hold it up but is no battering ram. O'Grady however...

Edited by oafcprozac

KISS > Keep It Simple, Stupid.

That little mantra is emblazoned across the wall in our marketing department. I can't think of anything more inappropriate for the workplace.

EDIT: Well, maybe "I want to stick my **** up your ****, you ****."

Edited by Zorrro

As mentioned by someone else, there is a big difference between teams like united and us and it very rarely works, but i see Abbott as a league one Berbatov; tall player who has close control and some skill, it works for them. However, it is quite an attacking formation and believe it would be best against the lower teams at BP. Reverting back to a 4-4-2 for the better teams.

I would send wolfy and brooke out on loan aswell, after a few games experience i think they will get better look at what happened with taylor, season after his loan spell gets a regular 1st team spot