As long as Penney gets the balace right for the start of the season i really couldnt give a toss for the results of the friendlys , we need to look at fresh players and build up fitness and that is more important than the result at this stage, i suspect the only friendly where we will be taking it serious will be against Scumpool with it being so close to the season starting.

I agree, not all about score, its about fitness and sharpness, yes it wasnt the best game but interesting to see how people will knit together and also good to see fitness levels increasing. Taylor, Hazell, Gregan amongst others played no part at all tonight

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive just got back

To be fair, halifax played some good stuff and there didnt seem to be much difference in sides, probably due to weather being so bad. They are practically still a conference side though :blush:

Some of triallists stood out, Allesandra played well

More of a fitness test more than anything

Have to say I was impressed by the Shay its much better than many grounds in the football league, apparently their council is paying for it being built, some guy said itll be 14,000 capacity when finished

I've got to agree, thought Lewi was weak, thought he was off the pace making runs, looks to have 0 confidence. For me the people that impressed were Rowney and Haining, although Haining did make a number of errors he wasn't helped by that lankey thing playing next to him in 2nd half, DP must realise the guy cant play the game, hopefully!!

Lewis played well, were you watching the same game as me. I thought he was rather poor. Trialist's didn't do much either. A rather poor performance all round especially the 2nd half

A mate of mine phone me after the match and said as much..............his words were 'Lewis was fallin all other the show again'

to be fair I'm not to bothered about the score, it is the fitness levels I want to see increase

.......and it's great to see Lee getting more match time in during pre season........he may well get in the mix this season

Edited by Chadbarmy

So Taylor? Hazell? Smalley? Gregan? Abbott? didn't play? if that's the case cheers for saying everyone will get a run out DP, f*cking marvelous ffs

So from your comment i'm guessing you didn't go, but you're angry that some of our best players didn't get a run out, for which there is more than likely a decent reason? WTF are you on about?! :dunce:

obiging fella played second half at centre half with haining who play the full game, first half lewis emmanuel at left back (didnt do anything), eardley right (was rubbish), according to chrissy taylor the unknown striker who looked a bit like porter was from hungary along with the long haired fella who was subbed for obiwhatever, second half whittaker and rowney in the middle (rowney looked good again but baldy bob keeped loosing the ball) with Alessandra and foreigner up front. I also thought it was a diferent keeper who played in the first half with brill filling in for the second

On the official he stated he was going to give everyone a run out, if one player didn't play i'd understand but to have 5/6 of the first team not get a run out after saying they will is pretty sh*te, i'm not fussed that the didn't play (if thats his plans) but why state that he would be doing!

saturday better team were playing so its not rocket science

On the official he stated he was going to give everyone a run out, if one player didn't play i'd understand but to have 5/6 of the first team not get a run out after saying they will is pretty sh*te, i'm not fussed that the didn't play (if thats his plans) but why state that he would be doing!

We've got a much tougher game in just two days time, I'd have thought he'd have been saving the big guns for then.

Tonight's game was mainly about giving fringe players/ youngsters a game and also a chance to run the rule over trialists. I didnt have a clue who half our players were and half the team in the 2nd half didn't have numbers on their shirts. It'll be interesting to read Bugby's match report tomorrow :lol:

freindly match v Halifax tonight teams for both halves

1ST HALF TEAM- Dean Brill,defence- Neil Eardley, Will Haining-trialist,Trialist, emmanual-trialist ,midfield-Keiran lee,Jon Worthington,Dean Furman, Trialist then up front was O'Grady, and Ryan Brooke.

2ND HALF TEAM-Dean Brill,defence--Kelvin Lomax,Will Haining-trialist,Babajibe Ogunbiyi-trialist,Joe Jacobson midfield--Keiran Lee,Chris Rowney,Danny Whittaker,Paul Black, up front Lewis Alessandra, trialist-(sure I Heard Penny call him Max).

Looks like some players rested for the Bury game on Saturday,1st half team was much better than 2nd half, and to be fair was quite impressed with the Halifax team to say they are 5 divisions below us.

The Shay being redeveloped I'm not surprised you see they also play this game called Rugby league there and Halifax council (not being the fools Oldham council are) have worked out that having a decent 15,000 or so stadium can bring in people to spend money in your town and are helping stump up some of the cash needed primarily to give Halifax Rugby League a shot at Superleague next time franchises come round. (Don't Runcorn FC use Widnes's Rugby League Stadium which hosted the women's euro championships not long back). Its like the opposite of BP- its a rugby League stadium the football team (who are amatuer) use.

Ive just got back

To be fair, halifax played some good stuff and there didnt seem to be much difference in sides, probably due to weather being so bad. They are practically still a conference side though :blush:

Some of triallists stood out, Allesandra played well

More of a fitness test more than anything

Have to say I was impressed by the Shay its much better than many grounds in the football league, apparently their council is paying for it being built, some guy said itll be 14,000 capacity when finished

Is it in the same place as the old Shay ? Down in the valley.....remember going there in FA Cup once 2nd round...Horrible day horrible place...won 1-0 :)

Two things I observed last night...

1. Why didn't their pitch look in :censored: state if Rugby and football is played on it?

2. Penney was livid, he walked by the side of us to the dressing room at the end, I think a few were going to get something the wouldn't forget.

Fair play to Halifax, they looked decent and played some decent football. As for us, this is where the wheat is separated from the chaff so I'm not going to get too upset...

Edited by footy68

Ok lads everyone will get a run out..... oh wait a minute its pishing down the surface is greasy i know what i will protect my first choice players tonight dont want any groin strains do we....DP Out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! too much common sense.

Yep, Taylor's coming back from injury don't forget and given his recent injury problems Pav needs to be handled carefully, same with Stephens. The performance especially from Lewi and Whitaker was not good enough despite it being a friendly and Will apart the trialists are poor.

i went last night.. was quite supprised at the team but NOT annoyed one bit its a friendly wup e do...

but ive gotta say pretty decent stadium if they get that stand built since 2001/2 :grin:

those ends behind the goal look pretty decent if they were full, it would be a decent athmosphere so on that im hoping for halifax away in the FA Cup easily fill that end out and also nice pitch aswell...

Edited by kellysheroes

Hope Lewi recognises he needs to do more.

Sat quite close to the dugout last night for the second half and DP and MG were on his case a lot for ducking out of headers/challenges and not getting into the box quick enough when the ball was played out wide. He improved toward the end of the half so hopefully they are getting through

Wasn't impressed by the trialists last night, Haining aside, although I suppose he doesn't seem like a trialist. Would have another look at the tall striker who played up front for the second half, put a lot of effort in and was close to turning some poor service into chances. And the right winger who came on late looked to have some good touches but didn't get chance to shine. Other than that was impressed with Kieran Lee and Downey

freindly match v Halifax tonight teams for both halves

1ST HALF TEAM- Dean Brill,defence- Neil Eardley, Will Haining-trialist,Trialist, emmanual-trialist ,midfield-Keiran lee,Jon Worthington,Dean Furman, Trialist then up front was O'Grady, and Ryan Brooke.

2ND HALF TEAM-Dean Brill,defence--Kelvin Lomax,Will Haining-trialist,Babajibe Ogunbiyi-trialist,Joe Jacobson midfield--Keiran Lee,Chris Rowney,Danny Whittaker,Paul Black, up front Lewis Alessandra, trialist-(sure I Heard Penny call him Max).

Looks like some players rested for the Bury game on Saturday,1st half team was much better than 2nd half, and to be fair was quite impressed with the Halifax team to say they are 5 divisions below us.

Thanks for that, I was at a loss for much of the game which is largely why i didn't comment last night.

1st Half

Dean Brill - Didn't look good. I thought/hoped he was a trialist! Conditions were very difficult though.

Eardley - Respectable pre-season performance.

Haining - Fairly impressive, I'd negotiate a deal with him.

Trialist (longish hair and looked quite old) - Crap. I suspect this is why he came off after half an hour!

Emmanual - Not sure, he didn't really make any impression on me to be honest (Couldn't really see over to his side too well given the visability!!) :dntknw:

Lee - So so. Some good touches but the game seemed to pass him by a little. Will he ever be fit or is it an ingrained, fundamental problem with him?

Worthington - Tidy performance, his passing was better than I feared it would be after reading some posts on here.

Furman - Looks a fantastic signing, our new star player. Signing players like this for £50k is how clubs like Oldham (and Scunny :wink: ) should be looking to progress.

Trialist - :dntknw:

O'Grady - :imnotworthy::wink:

Brooke - Didn't make much of an impression - I thought he was a trialist.

2nd Half

Brill - see above :ohno:

Haining - see above

Ogunbiyi - Not sure. He goes fairly unnoticed to me which is weird considering his appearance....and probably a good sign. Really don't know so I'd watch him again (or just sign Will). Edit: A moment of clarity just came to me. He made a couple of unforgivable positional errors, so I'd let him go and prefer Will.

Jacobson - Not bad, but not as good as I hoped after Hyde reports.

Lee - See above

Rowney - looks a good player. I had him mixed up with Nathan Kilcourse and was shocked he had made the 1st team!!

Whittaker - Same old Whitts. Some good touches but failed to really contribute anything. Some bad touches too!

Black - Number 12? :censored:e.

Alless - Looked off the pace but showed some promise (as always). Definately behind O'Grady in the pecking order for me.

Trialist - So this was the lad with the green boots on. Hungarian? He looked good - very quick and very determined albeit with little end product on the night. Definately worth another look though.

All in all it was a typically dreary pre-season affair played in tricky conditions, I lost some interest second half and spent most of it spying/eaves-dropping on the players sat in the stand! :exile: If you ask me Taylor has developed an air of the 'Billy Big Balls' about him whilst Wolfy, who has been labelled a :censored: on here by some, seemed a nice lad who had time for kids/fans (although i felt

a bit sorry for him when one youngster approached him, Taylor and Hazel for autographs and didn't ask Wolfy. Taylor passed it him to sign anyway). Oh, and the 'Eardley hates Gregan because he shouts at him' club should note that they spent the second half sat together and shared a few jokes. Maybe Eards thinks Gregan is about the only defender at the club he can learn anything from. ^_^

Agree with the sentiments about Halifax looking very good. We were well beaten by a team with an old man playing upfront!!

Edited by Stitch_KTF

Didn't he say he was going to give everyone a run out in pre-season as opposed to one game? :unsure:

Is it in the same place as the old Shay ? Down in the valley.....remember going there in FA Cup once 2nd round...Horrible day horrible place...won 1-0 :)

yeah. theres a good video of them knocking man city out of FA cup in 1980 at the 'old' ground

what a dump!

He actually said he "intends" to give everyone a run out. So it was his intention but other factors - conditions for example - meant that he didn't think it was advisable. Not really a dummy out of the pram issue I'd have thought.