Rene Steer signs SMS

12 month deal ...SMS.

Wiki details ----Rene Steer (born 31 January 1990 in Luton) is an English professional footballer, who is currently a free agent; he formerly played for Arsenal. He plays primarily as a left back.

Steer started out at the Arsenal youth system, joining the club at the age of 13. He made 12 appearances for the reserve side in 2007-08, and a further 11 for the Under-18s.[1] He signed a professional contract with Arsenal in 2007.[1] He received his first first-team call-up as an unused substitute in Arsenal's 2-0 League Cup defeat to Burnley on December 2, 2008,[2] as well as making a further two Premier Reserve League appearances in the first half of 2008-09.[3]

In January 2009 he went on loan to Gillingham,[3] for whom he played his first senior game as a substitute in a 2–0 league defeat at home to Bradford City on 7 February 2009.[4] He returned to Arsenal after his loan spell ended in April 2009, but was released by the club in June.[5]

Edited by Sharky

i'm a bit sceptical on this.....a london (or luton) boy, released by Arsenal. Would have thought that he would would have wanted to stay down south if he could have earned a contract...obviously gillingham werent happy with him, which does pose a question mark over his ability imo. hope i'm wrong.

i'm a bit sceptical on this.....a london (or luton) boy, released by Arsenal. Would have thought that he would would have wanted to stay down south if he could have earned a contract...obviously gillingham werent happy with him, which does pose a question mark over his ability imo. hope i'm wrong.

Trust the manager on this one.

We should be an unknown quantity this season with all the new personnel.

i think penney has planned this. he has quietly gone about bringing in good players he knows can do the job at this level with no big names. if all of these players gel well then you never know, we could be the surprise package this season.

as for steer and this lad from afc liverpool, good signings and i look forward to seeing them this afternoon.