FAO TTA New stadium warning!

Once built it will never be increased for reasons already explained at least a dozen times.* Even if we try to imagine that the 12000 capacity doesn't mean that the club has resigned itself to permanent lower division football, can anybody think of a club that has built onto their existing stadium (already completed stadium, I mean)? Off the top of my head, I can only think of ManUre.

*Note to halfwits: this is opinion. We will see what happens...

Newcastle extended the capacity of St James park in 2000

Craven cottage was also expanded/ refurbished was it not as fulham shared Loftus Road with QPR for a short while

Lots of other clubs also have plans to extend their stadia, such as....

West Ham are planning to expand capacity of their stadium to 55000

Derby county planning to increase capacity of baseball ground

Sheffield united planning on increasing kop stand by 3000

Granted these are only plans at the moment but just goes to show stadiums do get designed with intention to expand if necessary down the line

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edit - PS: The Stadium of Light was extended in 2002 from a capacity of 42,000 to 49,000. Apparently it can be extended further in the future (fairly simply apparently) to around 64,000.

Ambition on top of ambition. Our building a 12000 seater stadium is akin to Sunderland building only a 30000, seater just because they were only getting 18-20000 when they were in the doldrums.

Read what I actually said.

Yes, indeed. What you actually said was "built on to their completed stadiums", but then changed tack to "newly built stadiums" when somebody suggested The Hawthorns.

So both the Bescot and the Stadium of Light were completed and then extended at a later date. I wouldn't mind bettign there's one or two more if you dig around.

Yes, indeed. What you actually said was "built on to their completed stadiums", but then changed tack to "newly built stadiums" when somebody suggested The Hawthorns.

So both the Bescot and the Stadium of Light were completed and then extended at a later date. I wouldn't mind bettign there's one or two more if you dig around.

For the benefit of the pedantic and the cretinous: I asked if there were any examples of newly built stadiums that have been extended. I then said that the only ground extension that immediately springs to mind is Old Toilet. I did not say that OT was a newly built stadium.

Newcastle extended the capacity of St James park in 2000

Craven cottage was also expanded/ refurbished was it not as fulham shared Loftus Road with QPR for a short while

Lots of other clubs also have plans to extend their stadia, such as....

West Ham are planning to expand capacity of their stadium to 55000

Derby county planning to increase capacity of baseball ground

Sheffield united planning on increasing kop stand by 3000

Granted these are only plans at the moment but just goes to show stadiums do get designed with intention to expand if necessary down the line

Only Derby, of the above examples, have a new stadium.

For the benefit of the pedantic and the cretinous: I asked if there were any examples of newly built stadiums that have been extended. I then said that the only ground extension that immediately springs to mind is Old Toilet. I did not say that OT was a newly built stadium.

Pendantic AND cretinous. My, my Corporal, into which category do I fall? Oh do say both, you'll make my Tuesday.

Fact is, that both Walsall and Sunderland have had newly built stadiums extended. Both with vastly different capacities, but both suited to their needs at the time, and extended when they became more successfull.

Pendantic AND cretinous. My, my Corporal, into which category do I fall? Oh do say both, you'll make my Tuesday.

Fact is, that both Walsall and Sunderland have had newly built stadiums extended. Both with vastly different capacities, but both suited to their needs at the time, and extended when they became more successfull.

Add Wycombe to the list. Adams park built in 1990, then capacity increased around 1996 when they became more successful.

Add Wycombe to the list. Adams park built in 1990, then capacity increased around 1996 when they became more successful.

Stop it FMS, don't you know that when new grounds are built they are never extended, they simply cement your place in the grand scheme of things.

Stop it FMS, don't you know that when new grounds are built they are never extended, they simply cement your place in the grand scheme of things.

And the Riverside. Built in 95 with 30K capacity. Corners put in a couple of years later now 35K

Edited by NIKI1234

That isn't what I said-I said that this, in my opinion, is clearly what's happening with Latics. We are not like Wycombe, for example, who were on their way up when they extended their ground. It was the pinnacle of their success. We have been on the way down for some time now. A little new stadium is a settlement, not a statement of ambition.

When I asked for examples of newly built grounds which have been extended it wasn't a trick question. Keep 'em coming.

Ahh right. I might have thought there'd be something in there that wouldn't fall into your criteria. So, when they built their ground in 1990, their ambition was just to stay a non-league side, right? So, by using that rationale, we're building ours to stay in this division. Until we go up, and then we'll extend the capacity, a bit like Wycombe did when they went up.

Tsk, shame on me, comparing us to a lowly club like Wycombe, who haven't ever played in the Premier League.

I'm talking about clubs with newly built stadiums.

Maybe they are content with their lot. Maybe they havent got any ambitions.

I dont see the sense of building a stadium that will be half empty.Even at full capacity, BP couldnt seat 2 thousand more seats than the proposed new one. I am happy with the immediate future, and when and if we rise, then the stadium will rise with us. Over to DP to lead by example.

Ahh right. I might have thought there'd be something in there that wouldn't fall into your criteria. So, when they built their ground in 1990, their ambition was just to stay a non-league side, right? So, by using that rationale, we're building ours to stay in this division. Until we go up, and then we'll extend the capacity, a bit like Wycombe did when they went up.

Tsk, shame on me, comparing us to a lowly club like Wycombe, who haven't ever played in the Premier League.

Did I say that? No.

The difference is that Wycombe's 'glory days' were still in the future when they built their ground. We had ours almost two decades ago. Since then successsive boards have failed to arrest the decline. A 12000 seater stadium represents a settling of accounts: an acceptance that the best that can be achieved is stability at this level.

You don't have to take my word for it, however. In fact you don't have to do anything at all. Everything comes to he who waits...

Maybe they are content with their lot. Maybe they havent got any ambitions.

I dont see the sense of building a stadium that will be half empty.Even at full capacity, BP couldnt seat 2 thousand more seats than the proposed new one. I am happy with the immediate future, and when and if we rise, then the stadium will rise with us. Over to DP to lead by example.

Fair enough, if that's what you want to believe.

Only Derby, of the above examples, have a new stadium.

ok then, newly built stadiums only....

Middlesboro have provisional planning permission in place to expand the riverside if necessary

As was mentioned earlier, Stadium of Light was extended in 2002 from 42k to 49k

Plans in place to expand the capacity of the KC Stadium

MK Dons has the infastructure to increase the capacity and add seats to the top tier

Planning permission has been received to expand readings stadium to 38k

The keepmoat stadium at Doncaster can be expanded to 20k

Colchester united built the colchester community stadium to accomodate 18000 seats if needed

Further proof that newly built stadia are designed for future expansion, that clubs consider the expansion and that clubs have actually gone ahead and expanded the capacity of newly build stadia.

Next.....

By the way, has anybody noticed who is basing their arguments on observable trends here, and who is basing theirs on wishful thinking?

Is there a third group who's basing their argument on f*** all?

Edited by LeylandLatic

By the way, has anybody noticed who is basing their arguments on observable trends here, and who is basing theirs on wishful thinking?

I prefer to look at the positive rather than the negative, and doesnt any true fan start the season with wishful thinking.

That isn't what I said-I said that this, in my opinion, is clearly what's happening with Latics. We are not like Wycombe, for example, who were on their way up when they extended their ground. It was the pinnacle of their success. We have been on the way down for some time now. A little new stadium is a settlement, not a statement of ambition.

When I asked for examples of newly built grounds which have been extended it wasn't a trick question. Keep 'em coming.

Northampton have plans to increase to 11K, currently fighting the council

Blackpool currently are expanding

Walsall already have

Middlesborough already have

Scunthorpe have plans in place for a extra tier to be added to the Study United end

Sunderland have already

Derby have plans to increase to 44K

Wycombe already have

Reading have plans too, not sure how these stand since they have been relegated

http://www.bbc.co.uk/berkshire/content/art...n_feature.shtml

Leicester is build so that it can be increased to 40K

MK dons is currently 22K, already has an extra tier in place that is currently undeveloped. Will be increased to 35K when the need to do so

Wolves, is that classed as a new ground? Anyway they are planning on filling in the corners

I prefer to look at the positive rather than the negative, and doesnt any true fan start the season with wishful thinking.

It makes you no more a true fan if you start the season with wishful thinking than if you start it with a sense of foreboding or resignation.

There are probably some Fulham or West Ham fans, for example, who tell themselves that their club has a chance of sneaking into the Champions' League. They are no better fans than those who fear they might be relegated instead.

Northampton have plans to increase to 11K, currently fighting the council

Blackpool currently are expanding

Walsall already have

Middlesborough already have

Scunthorpe have plans in place for a extra tier to be added to the Study United end

Sunderland have already

Derby have plans to increase to 44K

Wycombe already have

Reading have plans too, not sure how these stand since they have been relegated

http://www.bbc.co.uk/berkshire/content/art...n_feature.shtml

Leicester is build so that it can be increased to 40K

MK dons is currently 22K, already has an extra tier in place that is currently undeveloped. Will be increased to 35K when the need to do so

Wolves, is that classed as a new ground? Anyway they are planning on filling in the corners

Blackpool don't count, as they have played for years in an unfinished ground.

No, Wolves' ground isn't a new ground.

Nor do plans to extend grounds at some unspecified point in the future count for anything.