FAO TTA New stadium warning!

I am all for the move to a new stadiium and think 12k capacity is more than enough. But i do not want any type of lego flat pack stadium. Anyway just found this on the Tranmere forum via a Chesterfield forum and think it is exactly what i worry about... Please TTA if you are reading take note as i feel most tics fans agree with these points. I think it's a touch on D+G but lots of good points are made. I would hate to move and feel this way after a season or so:

Good afternoon,

I'm a former Shrewsbury Town supporter and have always enjoyed my visits to Saltergate. Some of you may be wondering why I am here. Why have I, an outsider, taken the time to sign up on your messageboard? Well, ultimately, I am here to warn you. Your new stadium will bring about more harm than good.

I was brought up on the Gay Meadow terraces - a superb, homely ground with a wonderful matchday experience. Like Saltergate, our old stadium was not without its faults; there were large pillars, a dreadful PA system, the food was disgusting and the toilets an absolute disgrace. Despite this, our old home had something special - it had SOUL.

In 2007, we finally moved into our new out-of-town ground. I would like to appear as some sort of martyr that bravely foresaw the dangers of a new stadium but sadly, the reality is different. I naively thought that nothing would ever change and, wherever we played, I would always have a complete passion for my football club. With hindsight however, I was very foolish indeed. The new stadium encapsulates everything I hate about football and its slow evolution into a generic and corporate facade. Despite buying a season-ticket for the first two years at the New Meadow, it struck me half way through last season how much I f**king hated the place and I have since vowed never to return.

I'm aware that many will (rightly) question my status as a ‘true supporter’ in light of this - but I feel it would be best to walk away now with a shred of dignity. Watching football there has become an utterly soul-destroying experience and one which I do not want any part of. The unfortunate reality is that for many of you, the move to a new ground will mark the end of Chesterfield FC as you know it. Gone will be the humour of the terraces and short walks from nearby pubs. The reality of a cold, clinical venue is as inevitable as it is depressing.

I have followed the progress of your new stadium with interest - right from the design phase. I have read with growing dismay supporters demanding, begging and excitedly counting down the days until your soulless new ground is unveiled. If only they knew the reality. Your new stadium, just like ours, will be a horrible place to watch football. First and foremost, there will be no atmosphere due to totalitarian stewards and a lack of a focal point. Any supporters that do attempt to stand and sing will be swiftly cut down. Your stadium will be windswept and often freezing due to the vast open corners. Any little atmosphere that is created by the away supporters will also disappear into the distance. Yes, the novelty appeal of televisions in the bland concourses or an improved steak&kidney pie might satisfy a few at first. You might smile as you take a leak against a shiny new urinal. However, these minor details will rightly pale into insignificance when you make the long hike towards the stadium, or can often hear a pin drop with embarrassing familiarity.

Your club's soul will disappear overnight as you settle into a soulless and generic stadium; totally devoid of any atmosphere or character. You will find attending matches a chore; and even if you win 7-0 (as we did twice last season), you will still leave with a cold and empty feeling. I apologise if I come across as scaremongering, but I've seen this happen before my eyes. Ask Colchester, Arsenal, and even Cardiff fans if you don't believe me. All of them are slowly awakening to the reality that a new stadium is a thoroughly miserable experience and one which supporters often approach with ignorance and total obliviousness. I hope that by warning you, some supporters will know what to expect. Do not look forward your stadium move. Dread it with every fiber of your person.

Enjoy every match and every little patch of Saltergate. Home is where the heart is.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am all for the move to a new stadiium and think 12k capacity is more than enough. But i do not want any type of lego flat pack stadium. Anyway just found this on the Tranmere forum via a Chesterfield forum and think it is exactly what i worry about... Please TTA if you are reading take note as i feel most tics fans agree with these points. I think it's a touch on D+G but lots of good points are made. I would hate to move and feel this way after a season or so:

Good afternoon,

I'm a former Shrewsbury Town supporter and have always enjoyed my visits to Saltergate. Some of you may be wondering why I am here. Why have I, an outsider, taken the time to sign up on your messageboard? Well, ultimately, I am here to warn you. Your new stadium will bring about more harm than good.

I was brought up on the Gay Meadow terraces - a superb, homely ground with a wonderful matchday experience. Like Saltergate, our old stadium was not without its faults; there were large pillars, a dreadful PA system, the food was disgusting and the toilets an absolute disgrace. Despite this, our old home had something special - it had SOUL.

In 2007, we finally moved into our new out-of-town ground. I would like to appear as some sort of martyr that bravely foresaw the dangers of a new stadium but sadly, the reality is different. I naively thought that nothing would ever change and, wherever we played, I would always have a complete passion for my football club. With hindsight however, I was very foolish indeed. The new stadium encapsulates everything I hate about football and its slow evolution into a generic and corporate facade. Despite buying a season-ticket for the first two years at the New Meadow, it struck me half way through last season how much I f**king hated the place and I have since vowed never to return.

I'm aware that many will (rightly) question my status as a ‘true supporter’ in light of this - but I feel it would be best to walk away now with a shred of dignity. Watching football there has become an utterly soul-destroying experience and one which I do not want any part of. The unfortunate reality is that for many of you, the move to a new ground will mark the end of Chesterfield FC as you know it. Gone will be the humour of the terraces and short walks from nearby pubs. The reality of a cold, clinical venue is as inevitable as it is depressing.

I have followed the progress of your new stadium with interest - right from the design phase. I have read with growing dismay supporters demanding, begging and excitedly counting down the days until your soulless new ground is unveiled. If only they knew the reality. Your new stadium, just like ours, will be a horrible place to watch football. First and foremost, there will be no atmosphere due to totalitarian stewards and a lack of a focal point. Any supporters that do attempt to stand and sing will be swiftly cut down. Your stadium will be windswept and often freezing due to the vast open corners. Any little atmosphere that is created by the away supporters will also disappear into the distance. Yes, the novelty appeal of televisions in the bland concourses or an improved steak&kidney pie might satisfy a few at first. You might smile as you take a leak against a shiny new urinal. However, these minor details will rightly pale into insignificance when you make the long hike towards the stadium, or can often hear a pin drop with embarrassing familiarity.

Your club's soul will disappear overnight as you settle into a soulless and generic stadium; totally devoid of any atmosphere or character. You will find attending matches a chore; and even if you win 7-0 (as we did twice last season), you will still leave with a cold and empty feeling. I apologise if I come across as scaremongering, but I've seen this happen before my eyes. Ask Colchester, Arsenal, and even Cardiff fans if you don't believe me. All of them are slowly awakening to the reality that a new stadium is a thoroughly miserable experience and one which supporters often approach with ignorance and total obliviousness. I hope that by warning you, some supporters will know what to expect. Do not look forward your stadium move. Dread it with every fiber of your person.

Enjoy every match and every little patch of Saltergate. Home is where the heart is.

Already shown on an earlier post.

Good afternoon,

Excellent post! Touches about 10% of everything that concerns me over us making the change! The writer however forgot to add in the likes of Southampton and Coventry...only the likes of Hull, Wigscum and Swansea have truly prospered in them...the former 2 due to the millions of money pumped into the side which has sent them up into the Prem, while Swansea have had some money and a council that had fans going in for £13 and less...and thus, some "soul" was provided.

You know, the funniest thing about this stadium change (that a number are desperate to see happen) is that most people you talk to around BP say the day the atmosphere died was the day the Chaddy End had seats put in. I'm too young to be able to comment...but I find it odd that many are so willing to give up the very thing that makes a football club for this new, plastic "dream". I applaud the likes of Plymouth, Bristol City and Preston (to name a few) for their ability to redevelop their home.

Personally, I fail to get my head around how we shelved an £80m development at our home because we couldn't make the 693 flats happen, to move virtually out of town to fabricate a £20m set-up...have we even looked at a £20m development at our home? Why can it happen in Failsworth, but not at BP? Have I missed something? Having spoken to several over the weekend...a few think not. A few think the original development was never going to happen...that it was never really wanted by the powers that be. A move elsewhere was always wanted...and one question does leave me thinking it could be the case...ask yourself this...why is Failsworth suddenly viable now, but it wasn't a few years ago when we were told Ferney Farm was THE ONLY place in Oldham that was a viable option. Suddenly now...that's not the case. A lot doesn't add up!!! A hell of a lot!!!

Already shown on an earlier post.

And Latics fans feelings on the subject cannot have failed to capture the attention of T4A

It would be good if we could have a response from them that a windy soulless stadium will not be considered.

Excellent post! Touches about 10% of everything that concerns me over us making the change! The writer however forgot to add in the likes of Southampton and Coventry...only the likes of Hull, Wigscum and Swansea have truly prospered in them...the former 2 due to the millions of money pumped into the side which has sent them up into the Prem, while Swansea have had some money and a council that had fans going in for £13 and less...and thus, some "soul" was provided.

You know, the funniest thing about this stadium change (that a number are desperate to see happen) is that most people you talk to around BP say the day the atmosphere died was the day the Chaddy End had seats put in. I'm too young to be able to comment...but I find it odd that many are so willing to give up the very thing that makes a football club for this new, plastic "dream". I applaud the likes of Plymouth, Bristol City and Preston (to name a few) for their ability to redevelop their home.

Personally, I fail to get my head around how we shelved an £80m development at our home because we couldn't make the 693 flats happen, to move virtually out of town to fabricate a £20m set-up...have we even looked at a £20m development at our home? Why can it happen in Failsworth, but not at BP? Have I missed something? Having spoken to several over the weekend...a few think not. A few think the original development was never going to happen...that it was never really wanted by the powers that be. A move elsewhere was always wanted...and one question does leave me thinking it could be the case...ask yourself this...why is Failsworth suddenly viable now, but it wasn't a few years ago when we were told Ferney Farm was THE ONLY place in Oldham that was a viable option. Suddenly now...that's not the case. A lot doesn't add up!!! A hell of a lot!!!

BB80

THe problem, I think is simply finance.

The TTA had, more or less people to put int he £80m. The credit crunch kiboshed that line of credit-it evaporated.

Now we have not got £20 millon in credit lined up, the TTA don't have that kind of money, but they have got people interested in buying the land and the profit is enough to build a stadium and some facilities that will provide an income where there id none at the moment.

Edited by singe

BB*0

THe problem, I think is quite simeple in terms of the finance.

The TTA had, more or less people to put int he £80m. The credit crunch kiboshed that line of credit-it evaporated.

Now we have not got £20 millon in credit lined up, the TTA don't have that kind of money, but they have got peple intersted in buying the land an d the profit is enough to build a stadium and some facilitied that will provide an income where there id none at the moment.

TTA weren't looking at putting in £80m...they were going to sell the surrounding land off and build the North Stand of the Oldham Arena. Now we're talking about selling off the same parts of land ie. car parks, Martin Darlington land etc (at less value admittedly) while staying at BP till it's built (that's my understanding) and then we move. Are we saying the land has dropped £60m in value? I simply can't believe that.

TTA weren't looking at putting in £80m...they were going to sell the surrounding land off and build the North Stand of the Oldham Arena. Now we're talking about selling off the same parts of land ie. car parks, Martin Darlington land etc (at less value admittedly) while staying at BP till it's built (that's my understanding) and then we move. Are we saying the land has dropped £60m in value? I simply can't believe that.

I know they did not put in £80m, thats what I meant when i said people.

The land was never worth £60m as it is, that inlcuded the selling price at the time, it not the cost price to the TTA

THe land has dropped at 25-30% by most industry estimtes, so the sales of the flats was a no goer at that level. NEver mnd the fact most people could not get a mortgage anyway.

Good afternoon,

Some good points there and its definitely something im worried about could happen! but hopefully wont!

FFS! Do me a favour.

One moaning git who can type is suddenly a messiah and the font of all knowledge regarding new stadia.

You guys concentrate on one fan who's deserted and I'll look at the facts. Since leaving Gay Meadow they've finished in their highest league position since god knows when and their average attendance has risen by just short of 1,000! And to boot, get this, they've a higher average attendance than us!!! (Watch it TTA, build a flat-pack footy stadium and face the wrath of the 1,000's of loyal Latics fans, we'll vote with our feet I tell thee! What do you mean you won't notice?)

And that lifeless stadium in Shrewsbury saw 14 home wins and only 3 home defeats last season.

I'm sorry but this geek talks of the loss of the humour on the terraces. I feel any move to an all seater stadium and away from that shed Gay Meadow would have resulted in this. Gone are the days. Shame he only arrived in the 21st century in 2007. He also talks of it being cold and having over-zealous stewards. What a jockey.

He talks of Shrews, Col U and Cardiff...they came from horrible run down terraced grounds. We're coming from BP. We've already made that transition from the terracing. And what have we got? A lifeless s---hole! What have we to lose that we haven't already lost?

Anyway let me put the Britannia Stadium to you! What a lifeless stadium; freezing, wind-swept, and absolutely no character, not to mention miles away from anywhere. That's what I thought when I last went with Latics. What's happened since?

One of the best home records in the Prem and voted loudest/most hostile ground...or sommat like that.

Not done too badly have they?

Guys get a grip. It's embarrassing.

E4e

SADDO

FFS! Do me a favour.

One moaning git who can type is suddenly a messiah and the font of all knowledge regarding new stadia.

You guys concentrate on one fan who's deserted and I'll look at the facts. Since leaving Gay Meadow they've finished in their highest league position since god knows when and their average attendance has risen by just short of 1,000! And to boot, get this, they've a higher average attendance than us!!! (Watch it TTA, build a flat-pack footy stadium and face the wrath of the 1,000's of loyal Latics fans, we'll vote with our feet I tell thee! What do you mean you won't notice?)

And that lifeless stadium in Shrewsbury saw 14 home wins and only 3 home defeats last season.

I'm sorry but this geek talks of the loss of the humour on the terraces. I feel any move to an all seater stadium and away from that shed Gay Meadow would have resulted in this. Gone are the days. Shame he only arrived in the 21st century in 2007. He also talks of it being cold and having over-zealous stewards. What a jockey.

He talks of Shrews, Col U and Cardiff...they came from horrible run down terraced grounds. We're coming from BP. We've already made that transition from the terracing. And what have we got? A lifeless s---hole! What have we to lose that we haven't already lost?

Anyway let me put the Britannia Stadium to you! What a lifeless stadium; freezing, wind-swept, and absolutely no character, not to mention miles away from anywhere. That's what I thought when I last went with Latics. What's happened since?

One of the best home records in the Prem and voted loudest/most hostile ground...or sommat like that.

E4e

SADDO

Nothing to do with the money poured into the Shrewsbury team tho eh? And of course attendances will be up...for a time. For someone who's talked about watching Latics home games at BP in a soulless atmosphere...you think we're going to find magically find some in Failsworth?

NAIVE

Nothing to do with the money poured into the Shrewsbury team tho eh? And of course attendances will be up...for a time. For someone who's talked about watching Latics home games at BP in a soulless atmosphere...you think we're going to find magically find some in Failsworth?

NAIVE

More money generated from a state of the art stadium? Extra income from more punters through the door?

Don't think I've said anywhere about the atmosphere improving but boy it's got nowt to live up to has it?! Don't think it would be possible for it to worsen.

Up the Failsworth!! Can't come soon enough.

E4e

BPRIP

More money generated from a state of the art stadium? Extra income from more punters through the door?

Don't think I've said anywhere about the atmosphere improving but boy it's got nowt to live up to has it?! Don't think it would be possible for it to worsen.

Up the Failsworth!! Can't come soon enough.

E4e

BPRIP

I highly doubt the money they've paid for the likes of Holt has come from the clicks on the turnstile. More a case of the backers funding it. I'm not saying a new stadium can't work...but I'm also struggling to understand why Failsworth is suddenly viable now but it wasn't when we looked about a few yrs ago. And concerned how the transactions will happen...worried the council will knife us like it has others...many more concerns...to not have them, for me, is like many were when Chris Moore promised us the moon on a stick and left us close to ashes. I don't see TTA as anything like that...but I do worry about some of the "influences" within.

And Latics fans feelings on the subject cannot have failed to capture the attention of T4A

It would be good if we could have a response from them that a windy soulless stadium will not be considered.

listen to mike newtons comments on latics world, he has talked about how he is a stoke city fan and was "choking" on the move to brittania stadium, he does not want the same to happen with latics fans and vowed to keep the traditions of the football club

I agree with your concerns, even though im very optimistic i also have fears, but mike newtons interview really did do a lot to help me feel better

FFS! Do me a favour.

E4e

SADDO

Couldn't agree look we all know the alternative carry on in this decaying stadium and the club does to. I will like to add the case of stoke city to that of the reebok stadium a stadium built in Horwich since going there they have become established premier league side and while it isn't all down to moving ground it has helped them fulfill their potential and arguably punch above their weight with improved facilities which make them money on a day to day basis through the hotel they have. Plus The atmosphere when the place is full is absolutely electric the accoustics are phenomenal, Think a full rocky road end stretching all the way round the ground then multiply it by 2.

Oldham Athletic has been sat their feeling sorry for itself pinning for the early nineties to return for 15 years now and the town has been sat their ashamed and embarrased apologising for itself since the race riots. Its time both changed, this won't solve all the towns nor the the football clubs problems but it will be a massive step in the right direction. I for one hope the TTA and The council have the bravery to take this idea and run with it and stop being too concious of upsetting people. Because we HAVE to move with the times we don't then thats when we die.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Couldn't agree look we all know the alternative carry on in this decaying stadium and the club does to. I will like to add the case of stoke city to that of the reebok stadium a stadium built in Horwich since going there they have become established premier league side and while it isn't all down to moving ground it has helped them fulfill their potential and arguably punch above their weight with improved facilities which make them money on a day to day basis through the hotel they have. Plus The atmosphere when the place is full is absolutely electric the accoustics are phenomenal, Think a full rocky road end stretching all the way round the ground then multiply it by 2.

Oldham Athletic has been sat their feeling sorry for itself pinning for the early nineties to return for 15 years now and the town has been sat their ashamed and embarrased apologising for itself since the race riots. Its time both changed, this won't solve all the towns nor the the football clubs problems but it will be a massive step in the right direction. I for one hope the TTA and The council have the bravery to take this idea and run with it and stop being too concious of upsetting people. Because we HAVE to move with the times we don't then thats when we die.

Potential...but not in a 12,000 stadium...potential being significantly higher than that...

Absolutely electric...at the Reebok? Never heard it called that once...infact, heard many slagging off the dire atmosphere but for the odd few games a season. Sjoke...lol...Wigscum had exactly the same in Prem Season 1...any club in the land would. Wigscums pretty quite nowadays tho. Sjoke will be too soon. Probably when they go down next season.

End of the day...wherever it is, I'll be there. Just don't buy that it's the answer, don't understand why it's now and not 3yrs ago if Failsworth was viable (not what was said back then), I don't think we've heard half the truth and don't trust a lot of the players involved. And I certainly don't like Corney's playing on fear/emotional blackmail bull:censored: either...groundshare, OAFC is dying...ya never said that before the buzz word "redevelop!" was exchanged to "Failsworth!"

If that's not enough reason to be concerned as to how the future of OAFC goes...then...well...I should stop caring! I won't though and won't be having others tell me I shouldn't be concerned. Why??? Coz thats exactly what people were saying in Summer 2001 when a certain someone walked into BP!!! People say Oldham's stuck in a rut...damn right...not learning from past mistakes is definitely one of them!!!

Edited by boundaryblue80

FFS! Do me a favour.

E4e

SADDO

If Darlington and Rotherham hadn't had points deducted Shrewsbury would have finished ninth in Div 4 last season. Whoopy do, is that what we're aiming for. They actually finished seventh in their last season at Gay Meadow and lost in the play off final, so it's not quite as rosy as you're painting it

Is it just me, or is it strange that no one has criticised someone (who incidentally nobody knows from adam) posts that his new ground is a bit soullless and he' stop going as a complete floater. In both semses of the word.

Who on here would not go because they bascialyl don't like the design of the new ground, they'd get laughed off here in two seconds.

Surely, at this level, you go to a football match to watch football. I understand for a few drinskw ith your amtes to before and after, but basically its the football isn;t it? It doesn't matter if its the local village team where everyone stands at ther side of the pitch, or no lege ground with one stand, or Oldham

This pretty much confirms my own views on the move to Failsworth but I fear that your warning to TTA will fall on deaf ears.

I heard some pretty disturbing things about SC on Saturday but as they can't be substantiated I am not prepared to repeat them.

Good afternoon,

Oddly enough, all but one of the many people I have spoken to regarding the move are suspicious or wary about the reasons/motives. There certainly appears to be a lot more on here who are looking forward to the move, or is it just that people are embarrassed to say they smell a rat?

Maybe the answers are staring me in the face, but I still don't quite understand why the lookers and main stands cannot be replaced for significantly less than £20m, and the remaining land sold for a tidy sum also. OMBC could then spend their proposed input on improving Clayton to include the facilities mentioned.

If the move is absolutely necessary then so be it, but I'd prefer the TTA to explain their figures, as I'm not sure we should be happy about losing £60m of land to sit in a £20m meccano set.

End of the day...wherever it is, I'll be there. Just don't buy that it's the answer, don't understand why it's now and not 3yrs ago if Failsworth was viable (not what was said back then), I don't think we've heard half the truth and don't trust a lot of the players involved. And I certainly don't like Corney's playing on fear/emotional blackmail bull:censored: either...groundshare, OAFC is dying...ya never said that before the buzz word "redevelop!" was exchanged to "Failsworth!"

This pretty much confirms my own views on the move to Failsworth but I fear that your warning to TTA will fall on deaf ears.

I heard some pretty disturbing things about SC on Saturday but as they can't be substantiated I am not prepared to repeat them.

Oddly enough, all but one of the many people I have spoken to regarding the move are suspicious or wary about the reasons/motives. There certainly appears to be a lot more on here who are looking forward to the move, or is it just that people are embarrassed to say they smell a rat?

Maybe the answers are staring me in the face, but I still don't quite understand why the lookers and main stands cannot be replaced for significantly less than £20m, and the remaining land sold for a tidy sum also. OMBC could then spend their proposed input on improving Clayton to include the facilities mentioned.

If the move is absolutely necessary then so be it, but I'd prefer the TTA to explain their figures, as I'm not sure we should be happy about losing £60m of land to sit in a £20m meccano set.

on saturday i was in the WH before and after the game,at BP for the game and at the masters.

the above comments pretty much sum up what virtually all i and others spoke to during the course of the day had to say about all this..my opinions are also the same.

there is a lot of fans out there not happy about a lot of things transpiring here .

but,we're just the fans-paying customers-we live in a "like it or lump it" world.

With reference to the OP. Isn't that just a completely subjective opinion though? I love footballing traditions as much as anyone if not more, yet BP holds nothing but a few lusty memories, all of which you can look back on lots of pictures and video footage.

One thing a new ground WILL do is increase our average gate. Whether it stays increased is up to the club and what they do to fund the team and market the supporters experience. They've already said they'll bear supporters suggestions in mind but I think most nostalgic fans, myself included won't particularly like the new stadium, but us nostalgic fans are a dying breed. The new want-everything-plastic fans are the future and they'll be the ones turned on by our new Failsworth breezeblock utophia. Me? I'll still go, watch us and moan a bit more about everything not being as it was. But note the key words; I'll go.

on saturday i was in the WH before and after the game,at BP for the game and at the masters.

the above comments pretty much sum up what virtually all i and others spoke to during the course of the day had to say about all this..my opinions are also the same.

there is a lot of fans out there not happy about a lot of things transpiring here .

but,we're just the fans-paying customers-we live in a "like it or lump it" world.

I agree transparency would help greatlyand be welcome.

But, I think people are getting confused here.

The land itself is not worth £60m, and we are not simply writing that off.

Even if we were, the average price has dropped 25-30% anyway since so that £60m would only be worth £45m now at best.

However, peopela re forgetting to include build costs.

As an example: Building.co.uk has the typical construction costs examples for a high rise building ( don't forget we had several planned., I think it 4 so that is what I have done it on.

Also it has estimated contraction costs for a busines park that BP would part form.

So our high rise buildings are approx £10m to build

A busines park is £6m

That is shell building, nothing in the actual buildings

High rise build costs approx.:

High Rise building costs

Business park

Business park costs

So on basic shell constrcuion, no fit out we re looking at £16m of the £45m.

It is easy to see that a lot of that will be swallowed by over runs, contingency, fit outs etc.

And the £60m was at selling price, not cost price.

Not to mention Singe that the cost of "from scratch" construction where there's no demolition required or site access problems (BP would still be an active stadium don't forget) would increase costs/time frames.

Am I the only one who doesn't fundamentally care what the new stadium looks like? I'll just roll up to it pissed and watch the game, possibly having a pie at some stage. To read these pages I'm wondering if far too many people spend their time watching TV shows with some drippy bird showing people how to redesign their houses.