His hold up play is very good, but you can see he's not yet fit. Tired easily, but being the first game, i'm sure it happens with alot of players.

A fault I picke d out was frustrating. He tries to flick the ball over his head when stretching for the ball. Much more effective if he moved his body and got the ball under his control

i thought the strikers today were f**king LAZY !! they didnt look interested. didnt enjoy todays game one bit!

Don't agree, but I can see your point.

Both either great or frustrating strikers, if you thought that today I think this season's gonna be more of the same for yourself.

With Parker, was abit frustrated that I didn't see him busting a gut for some of them shorter balls that we could have made into chances.

Guest sheridans_world

Cracking player, very strong he can hold a defender off without any problems. My only niggle is that he'll win a ball in the air, but not be able to control it. He also sat a little deep at times.

Other than that, he looked like he was going to score once or twice, needs to re-calibrate he joy-stick and he should start hitting the back of the net.

Didn't impress me at all today Abbott but i'm giving him time since he didn't look as sharp as maybe he usually when fit. Thought Parker worked hard and had a decent game, dosn't look like a goal scorer though. And Byefield was less than impressive. When they're 100% fit and used to playing in the team (no later than the beggining of september!) they should be able to do the job :D

i thought the strikers today were f**king LAZY !! they didnt look interested. didnt enjoy todays game one bit!

Kiegan didn't look too interested but with fitness he'll be better. Completely disagree about Abbott, thought he was probably one of the most hardworking players.

Kiegan didn't look too interested but with fitness he'll be better. Completely disagree about Abbott, thought he was probably one of the most hardworking players.

Yeh but because he didn't chase lost causes or run around like a headless chicken he is lazy.

Imo i thought he worked really well, he even ended up rushing back and covering at right back after one of our attacks broke down. he did look knackered at full time though.

Hes a clever player should have done better in the last minute though

he created it out of nothing so he could do what he wanted with it :grin:

that would have been some goal.

thought he looked very promising but could have done without the dive in the first half. :unsure:

We were powder puff up front with no cutting edge whatsover. How anyone can call a performance from a striker who fluffed several chances as "awesome" beggars belief. His shot straight at the keeper in the last minute when Byfield was wide open next to him was poor decision making at best.

Stockport will go down this season, and it was extremely worrying that we couldn't score against them.

His hold up play is very good, but you can see he's not yet fit. Tired easily, but being the first game, i'm sure it happens with alot of players.

A fault I picke d out was frustrating. He tries to flick the ball over his head when stretching for the ball. Much more effective if he moved his body and got the ball under his control

Not sure about him tiring easily. Outpaced their whole defence in the last minute. Should've passed but in a way it's the sign of a good selfish striker that he didn't. One of the few positives yesterday. Parker was bone idle.

And please, no more full backs! If ever there was a full back out of his depth it was Holdsworth on the right wing. Always looked to turn back. Good squad player, good full back, absolutely nothing more. What's up with Smalley?

Having said that once we get Purdie and Jacobsen fit and Parker pulls his finger out of his @rse I think we'll be OK.

E4e

AVRGE

Not sure about him tiring easily. Outpaced their whole defence in the last minute. Should've passed but in a way it's the sign of a good selfish striker that he didn't. One of the few positives yesterday. Parker was bone idle.

And please, no more full backs! If ever there was a full back out of his depth it was Holdsworth on the right wing. Always looked to turn back. Good squad player, good full back, absolutely nothing more. What's up with Smalley?

Having said that once we get Purdie and Jacobsen fit and Parker pulls his finger out of his @rse I think we'll be OK.

E4e

AVRGE

Agree totally Nik, word for word what I posted on the other thread. As for Smalley heard he's out for two momths after doing his back in training. Not sure if that's accurate or not.

Edited by oafcprozac

We were powder puff up front with no cutting edge whatsover. How anyone can call a performance from a striker who fluffed several chances as "awesome" beggars belief. His shot straight at the keeper in the last minute when Byfield was wide open next to him was poor decision making at best.

The best decision would have been to cut back inside the defender was running across him, then Abbott would have been 2 yards closer to goal, on his strong foot with just the keeper to beat.

The best decision would have been to cut back inside the defender was running across him, then Abbott would have been 2 yards closer to goal, on his strong foot with just the keeper to beat.

Whitaker had two great opportunities to shoot from the angle, instead he wussed out by cutting inside. That was disappointing to see - just bloody shoot! Wrong foot or not!

Stockport will go down this season, and it was extremely worrying that we couldn't score against them.

Chill out for christ's sake it was the first game and Stockport playing ten behind the ball came for a draw and were a little lucky to succeed.

There was alot to be positive about yesterday and at last we have strikers who can hold the ball up.

I thought Parker caused a few problems, Byfield did well when he came on, and although he didn't score Abbott had a great debut.

Hazell had a steady game and anybody who says Gregan's a liability doesn't know what they're talking about.

Furman and Worthington look a good pairing in the middle and we now have a good quality of player on subs bench.

I'm very optimistic this season and if we can click then we can have a big say in the promotion stakes.

As Norwich found out yesterday 1 v 7!!!!!........reputations count for nothing!!!

First and foremost you have to battle in this league and now we have a good mix of players who can adapt and change when neccesary...I'm quietly confident this could be a good season!

Chill out for christ's sake it was the first game and Stockport playing ten behind the ball came for a draw and were a little lucky to succeed.

There was alot to be positive about yesterday and at last we have strikers who can hold the ball up.

I thought Parker caused a few problems, Byfield did well when he came on, and although he didn't score Abbott had a great debut.

Hazell had a steady game and anybody who says Gregan's a liability doesn't know what they're talking about.

Furman and Worthington look a good pairing in the middle and we now have a good quality of player on subs bench.

I'm very optimistic this season and if we can click then we can have a big say in the promotion stakes.

As Norwich found out yesterday 1 v 7!!!!!........reputations count for nothing!!!

First and foremost you have to battle in this league and now we have a good mix of players who can adapt and change when neccesary...I'm quietly confident this could be a good season!

Agree, although I thought Parker's impact was minimal. Not won at home since Valentine's day, but probably our best home performance since we beat Stockport in January. Not everyone will come and park the team bus in front of the goal. As for Rubes and Greegs, yeah they did ok but they were up against very little. Let's see how they do in the three away games. A very encouraging start and the first ten games mean not a great deal - look where we were after 10 games last season? :wink:

Edited by oafcprozac

My only niggle is that he'll win a ball in the air, but not be able to control it.

I thought his first touch was very good, seemd to bring the ball down to his feet, or to another player with ease and not touching it off the field.

With it being the first game of the season they'll have been up for it, give them a few games of constantly defending and they'll soon get tired. When we play them in their neck of the woods expect us to bag a few.

Back to Abbott, I among others thought he looked parped after 20 mins, standing in front of Fon Williams hands on hips leaning over, breathing deep, expected him to be replaced at HT but he kept finding the energy to have bursts of speed to win balls.

I do think he should have laid it off to Byfield but then again...at least we got a striker who isnt affraid to have a shot

I voted for Abbott in the man of the match poll; thought he had a cracking match; from 1min in right through to the 90th min.

He is something that we have lacked for the last couple of season up top; a real menace. For all of Hughesy’ good points; I felt he didn’t really “entertain” the opposion CB’s as much as he should; Abbott did that all game on sat. His ability to hold off the CB whilst controlling the ball was in evidence all game; he appears to have a very good footballing brain with some of the passes & little dinks he was looking to play; and he isn’t shot-shy either.

A couple of things that worry me slightly though are these:

1.) our great ‘fans’ getting on his back for not ‘being a Warne’ and running around all game chasing lost causes like an excited 4 year old on Christmas morning – he has never been that type of player; I worry he’ll be labelled a lazy (like some have said on this thread already); when I all honesty; he puts in a fair old shift.

2.) his outstretched arm – 2 or 3 times he went into challenges with his arm out; think he got pulled up on it for handball once IIRC. Big Pawel Could end up with a few cheap bookings if he carries on with that.

As for Parker; thought he ran the channels well at times; but looked a little unfit – think we’ll start to see the best of him 8-10 games into the season once he’s up to speed.

Byfield; he’ll do more than a job for us this season IMO; from the bench he is a good option; similar to Parker I feel we’ll start to see the real Byfield when we get a fair few games into the season.

Upfront looks nice & promising to me – certainly absolutely no need for panic at all…….

Edited by slystallone