Main Stand Paddock - Food issue!

fancied a change yesterday and went in the RRE, one of my mates wanted something to eat but guess what they had run out of everything just after half time

and i also had a beer, jesus christ i would rather drink what my dog has just cocked his leg up and sprayed out

but on a plus point, the steward didnt care about me smoking!

Prefer getting food from pub or greggs before games..

stopped getting it from BP due to lack of it and not puttin the ingredients in that shud be

E.g cheese & potato pie - last time i bought one it was all potato and no cheese at all

Bugs me how we haven't got a scoreboard either - how much advertising revenue has been lost since it broke?

A lot less than it costs to fix or replace, Sean Jarvis(top man that he is)made that very clear

A lot less than it costs to fix or replace, Sean Jarvis(top man that he is)made that very clear

Precisely. People need to remember that we haven't bothered investing in facilities that were expected to be bulldozed, why would you? It's a shame but it made no sense to build new kitchens 3 years ago and it makes no sense now. There is a limit to what you can do to serve food up in a very short space of time from limited facilities to a lot of people. I don't think we do the best we could, but I don't think we do the worst either.

Andy, their thinking is why pay someone £20k a year to generate £50k revenue? I mean FFS I wish I could throw away £30k in potential income. I just doesn't make sense. Ok £50K the first year, then go from there and improve. Hardy did a lot of good work on the commercial side in the 80s and early 90s. Jarvis came up with a lot of good initiatives but the club now has an amateur approach that is costing the club money.

Ask Tangerine Dreams about his Ryan Brooke sponsorship, tip of a very big iceberg!

Hi Prozac,

A lot of the time I read your posts and think you make a lot of sense, on this one the question i think maybe you have it wrong unless you know something I don't. They probably look at is the risk to make any investment, if £50k was guaranteed from £20kanybody would make the investment unless you could get a better perceived return from elsewhere.

If not they would weigh up the risk and decide whether it mitigates the investment. They would then use the available cash in the way that would give the best return ie if i invest it in sceme a/ i'll get £2 for every £1 invested and if i choose way b then i get £3 for every £1 then i'll choose b.

I just think there were a few gremlins with catering etc yesterday, early season gliches if you will that have caused the shortages which I accept don't help the ameteurish feel to the start of the season off the field. Maybe in the RRE the County fans got the bulk of the fans because the caterers didn't realise the sides had been swithched to accomodate County. Maybe it was just crap communication that led to the shortages and nothing more sinister

I'm gettin really let down on this side of the games. I went up at HT in RRE and no food, just had to make do with a bottle of carlsberg (which was on the cards anyway). I hadnt eaten since 11am, so was looking forward to having something in my tummy and it did put me in a bibt of a bad mood not having anything to eat.

My main concerns and things I've bin wondering are:

1 - How many times can they underestimate the numbers of fans so much? They should have known how many ppl would be turning up for the opening game and catered for them. Does anyone know if the County fans ran out of food too or did they get most of the food cos they were in the big end and didnt want to upset them?

2 - If it is an outside company supplying the food, then surely if they are not supplying enough, they need to sort it out and look at their agreement and contract?

3 - Can they fix fryers into the huts so they can at least make chips?

4 - It's annoying knowing that there are burger vans around outside the ground prob with food yet we can't get it...maybe letting ppl leave to get food and only allow re-entry with a ticket for the said game produced?

So was my steak and kidney just before kick off in the Main Stand Lower..........

Mine was, but I always buy mine on the way in, serves arseing about and queueing and it is always hot, but people should be able to expect refreshements to be available pretty much until half-time at the earliest.

I'm gettin really let down on this side of the games. I went up at HT in RRE and no food, just had to make do with a bottle of carlsberg (which was on the cards anyway). I hadnt eaten since 11am, so was looking forward to having something in my tummy and it did put me in a bibt of a bad mood not having anything to eat.

My main concerns and things I've bin wondering are:

1 - How many times can they underestimate the numbers of fans so much? They should have known how many ppl would be turning up for the opening game and catered for them. Does anyone know if the County fans ran out of food too or did they get most of the food cos they were in the big end and didnt want to upset them?

2 - If it is an outside company supplying the food, then surely if they are not supplying enough, they need to sort it out and look at their agreement and contract?

3 - Can they fix fryers into the huts so they can at least make chips?

4 - It's annoying knowing that there are burger vans around outside the ground prob with food yet we can't get it...maybe letting ppl leave to get food and only allow re-entry with a ticket for the said game produced?

Apparently the issue with chips according to Alan Hardy is a health and safety issue, due to hot fat, risk assessment and queueing fans waiting for them - a logistical nightmare apparently and the club's safety certificate as well as the insurance policy would need to be amended. I'm sure the staff would have to specifically trained too. A lot of it makes sense and is just another symptom of this crazy world we live in, were every risk is calculated and discussed before anything is allowed or put into practice.

I wasn't surprised they ran out of programmes on Saturday as I would imagine a lot of people who don't normally buy one got one- just too see who our new players were (remembering we had 8 new players start) but then again maybe the club should have allowed for this. That in combination to all the info about the new ground which I hope was in there (they'd sold out by the time I'd got in) I would think would have made for a bumper selling programme. The pie/food situation is something that a lot of people (me included) have mentioned before and dispite it being obvious that some senior people at the club read this board the situation hasn't really changed- so is it perhaps that it is not worth changing because after all buying more pies costs them more money and it depends on how much they make on each item as to whether they have surplus in (Coke rarely seems to run out because I think this is actually the biggest money spinner).

I wasn't surprised they ran out of programmes on Saturday as I would imagine a lot of people who don't normally buy one got one- just too see who our new players were (remembering we had 8 new players start) but then again maybe the club should have allowed for this. That in combination to all the info about the new ground which I hope was in there (they'd sold out by the time I'd got in) I would think would have made for a bumper selling programme. The pie/food situation is something that a lot of people (me included) have mentioned before and dispite it being obvious that some senior people at the club read this board the situation hasn't really changed- so is it perhaps that it is not worth changing because after all buying more pies costs them more money and it depends on how much they make on each item as to whether they have surplus in (Coke rarely seems to run out because I think this is actually the biggest money spinner).

Not read mine yet and although I've glanced at it, don't think there was anything about the new ground.

Hi Prozac,

A lot of the time I read your posts and think you make a lot of sense, on this one the question i think maybe you have it wrong unless you know something I don't. They probably look at is the risk to make any investment, if £50k was guaranteed from £20kanybody would make the investment unless you could get a better perceived return from elsewhere.

If not they would weigh up the risk and decide whether it mitigates the investment. They would then use the available cash in the way that would give the best return ie if i invest it in sceme a/ i'll get £2 for every £1 invested and if i choose way b then i get £3 for every £1 then i'll choose b.

I just think there were a few gremlins with catering etc yesterday, early season gliches if you will that have caused the shortages which I accept don't help the ameteurish feel to the start of the season off the field. Maybe in the RRE the County fans got the bulk of the fans because the caterers didn't realise the sides had been swithched to accomodate County. Maybe it was just crap communication that led to the shortages and nothing more sinister

To concur, I have worked in a number of catering operations in my younger days and if you don’t have experienced staff working all the time with good facilities, things aren’t going to run that well. The main “facility” issue to me would be the stadium itself. As for financial side, you can pick figures out of the air but without doing a proper costing you will never know the reasons why TTA haven’t invested more heavily if that was to lead to big cash money. My feelings without doing such a costing is that it would require a lot of investment and even then, the stands just do not have the space really to ensure that they can process a lot of orders in a short amount of time. Considering the club is making a loss and the plan is to move to a new stadium, I would wonder whether investing money in catering would make sense. Though granted it does piss people off which I don’t thinks the greatest thing in the world.

Realistically how much are you saving a season?

I would be interested to know, added to the fans who wanted to buy food and proggies yesterday + the 1000/1500 stayaways from 5-6 years ago - that's a tidy sum per season, but for some baffling reason TTA continue to sell the fans short. What's the point of a new stadium if the fans are treated to sub-standard food/programmes or amenities that sell out well before they should do. CRAZY!

Some quick figures

Pie, bag of crisp, brew and programme £7 x 23 = 161 = say two cup games - £14 so that's £175

x that by an extra 1,000 = £175,000 per season, just by TTA giving a :censored: as to the fans experience! Even if my figures are overly optimistic surely it would be around the 100k mark.

Then add in the scoreboard revenue lost over the last 5 years???

Factor in a commercial/marketing expert who could generate interest and the so called losses that are continually bleated about may well be much less. The more I think about it, the more i'm convinced we are being run into the ground so we feel we have no option to move grounds and TTA continually enjoy their 'martyr' status.

Hello everyone

Gordon here, you know the programme editor.

I have never answered any criticism before on any website..but thought I would on this occasion.

For information purposes, there are still 8 programmes left in the shop from Saturday and that was after selling some after the match..so the programmes did not sell out!

(what you really mean is the area nearest to you sold out)

Regarding no shiny cover (it's called lamination actually).I took a conscious decision not to have one for a number of reasons.

1. It costs 20p per programme to have it laminated.

2. The programme has to printed 24 hours earlier to have as you say a 'shiney cover'.

3. A lot of work goes into producing the programme..for your information it contains over 23,000 words and close on 100 photos. One person writes and compiles it (me)

and it is a nightmare to keep up to date. No one complains (like you say) on a wet and dark winters night when we are left with 100's of programmes and pies unsold and the club loses money. The programme is produced to make your club money and to try and keep you informed with stories and articles regarding the players. Information can now be recieved much quicker via the internet so I try not to repeat it.

Last season I asked for some feedback and I thank the 8 fans who replied, and I have taken their views onboard. Obviously you were not one of them and you think the programme is of poor quality, that is your view and you are entitled to it, but let me finish with a few facts.

1. The Oldham Athletic programme actually makes money unlike 42 other clubs who lose money.

2. Latics programme has won 7 awards over the last 5 seasons.

3. Everyone continually tries their best to provide the fans with entertainment, food, programmes etc and we try to be a caring family club and the staff are now beginning to get fed up with the continued criticism. We work long hours, sometimes 50-60 a week for little pay or thanks. We do this because it is our club, we want to 'cause we love Latics.

It is a great pity you do not feel the same way. It is time for the knocking to stop and the support for the club to begin.

Hello everyone

I have never answered any criticism before on any website..but thought I would on this occasion.

For information purposes, there are still 8 programmes left in the shop from Saturday and that was after selling some after the match..so the programmes did not sell out!

Regarding no shiny cover (it's called lamination actually).I took a conscious decision not to have one for a number of reasons.

2. The programme has to printed 24 hours earlier to have as you say a 'shiney cover'.

3. A lot of work goes into producing the programme..for your information it contains over 23,000 words and close on 100 photos. One person writes and compiles it (me)

and it is a nightmare to keep up to date. No one complains (like you say) on a wet and dark winters night when we are left with 100's of programmes and pies unsold and the club loses money. The programme is produced to make your club money and to try and keep you informed with stories and articles regarding the players. Information can now be recieved much quicker via the internet so I try not to repeat it.

Last season I asked for some feedback and I thank the 8 fans who replied, and I have taken their views onboard. Obviously you were not one of them and you think the programme is of poor quality, that is your view and you are entitled to it, but let me finish with a few facts.

1. The Oldham Athletic programme actually makes money unlike 42 other clubs who lose money.

3. Everyone continually tries their best to provide the fans with entertainment, food, programmes etc and we try to be a caring family club and the staff are now beginning to get fed up with the continued criticism. We work long hours, sometimes 50-60 a week for little pay or thanks. We do this because it is our club, we want to 'cause we love Latics.

It is a great pity you do not feel the same way. It is time for the knocking to stop and the support for the club to begin.

Good post Gordon. I'm an admirer of the work you do on the programme (as a collector I know how its content and design is far superior to not only most in our division but also in higher ones). And the work of others in the club - in the shop, commercial section, ticket office, laundry, groundstaff etc - is also to be applauded. Don't be too hacked off by the children who think it's smart to slag off the smallest thing. It's the staff of the club who have worked for years and years that have helped make Latics the friendly club that it is.

"PRAISE LOUDLY, BLAME QUIETLY " - a classic phrase to remember to motivate, improve, and develop organisations and people.

Hello everyone

Thanks for the reply Gordon, I do think the programme was better last season and as someone who has every home programme since the mid-80s and is an avid collector I think I am well qualified to offer my opinion and as someone who is increasingly looking to get into writing sports articles on a freelance basis. The articles are ok and well-written but the whole feel of the thing (paper weight and printing quality) seems inferior to what we had last year.

I do think you do a decent job in compiling the programme and to be actually earning money from it is pretty admirable. with regards to the wider marketing of the club the club comes up short in so many departments, whether that is general apathy or not or a lack of clear direction I do not know, but as someone who has been at Boundary Park as long as you have, you must admit we had clearer focus when Sean Jarvis was at the club and before him Alan Hardy was the commercial manager in the 80s up to the mid-90s. Just look through your old programmes to see the marketing initiatives the club put together even back then. Starline, Blue Bond Club, Sponsor a Kit, Latics Video Club, The Trophy Centre, The famous car boot sales, even selling England Shirts and trainers in the club shop, it all contributed. And all this was before any match-day income - the plastic pitch obviously helped with revenue too and I'll never understand why it wasn't relaid on little Wembley to enable the club to enjoy the revenue it generated and have the option of a reliable training pitch at a time when the club often struggled to find decent training facilities.

So what are my mine gripes with the marketing of the club?

Running out of food before half-time is not uncommon and is not always only when we have larger attendances.

The state of the Chaddy End is a disgrace and a health hazard with bird faeces everywhere, surely the ground maintenance team could have made an effort? I've paid £378 for me and my son to sit in a bird toilet?

Starline was a vital source of income, ok due to the Chis Moore saga it had to be suspended and the horse bolted but the new lottery could be advertised in the press more - the momentum was well and truly lost with the shared scheme with Stockport County.

The shop is another cause of concern for many Latics fans, it is poorly stocked and more often than not you just cannot get what you want. there are instances of people travelling hundreds of miles to buy a shirt and have not been able to get it printed there and then - surely people could be accomodated when there are hardly hoardes of people beating down the door to hand over their hard earned?

I'll support the club no matter what, I'll buy the merchandise, the food, the programmes. But I have my bug-bears because I love the club so much and it infuriates me when we are clearly not maximising our potential, especially when we nearly went bust six years ago, I didn't stand in the rain with a bucket to see the club become indifferent to maximising its revenue. The new ground is vital but if the club retains its' complacent attitude to marketing then we might as well remain where we are.

We all want what is best for the club, I just think we could be doing so much better on so many levels and i'm not the only one, speak to other Latics fans and many of them will have similar concerns. There's not many of us left, the club needs to careful not to alienate a percentage of the hardcore even further.

KTF

PS. As part of the media team can you tell me why we've had no end of season DVD review since 2004?

Edited by oafcprozac

Good post by Gordon, and decent reply from Prozac.

Gordon; on a cost level. Does the club purchase the paper used in bulk? I used to manage catalogue campaigns and we made a pretty considerable saving by buying paper from a broker en masse, and having our printers store it. As long as the club continue making programmes, you'll make a saving that way.

By the way, I side with Prozac on the lack of marketing or so it seems. Personally, I think a dedicated marketing manager needs to be employed. Not someone who does it for about 2 hours a week.

I can't comment on the programme quality or criticism because I've not bought one since about 1993.

Edit: To Prozac's late edit. YES! It's pretty criminal IMO why we don't have club DVD's. The cost of making them is supremely low and a decent revenue earner. These could be marketed to people who dont have LP for whatever reason and can be made in small batches, produced as anjd when demand requires.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly