Evra down in charity shield

This thread is for anyone who watched the chelsea v united charity shield match,

evra went down but ref allowed play to continue, chelsea re-claimed possesion and scored, yet a lot of people thought they should of knocked the ball out of play,

Personally i dont agree,

First off I believed it was a foul but the referee signalled play on, and if you notice man united's players continued to play with him down, it was only when chelsea received possession did they think the ball needed to be kicked out,

if united would have continued with possession would they have kicked it out themselves? i personally think they were trying to use him as a defence to stop chelsea from counter attacking, they put too much trust in their belief that they would kick the ball out,

also did you notice the moment the goal went in he was straight back up again, and no doubt if the referee would have put the whistle to his lips he would have been straight back up,

I think this needs to be addressed as this whole area is a grey area, when is it right to kick the ball out? when does the referee decide? anyone can just go down and expect the opponents to kick it out, effectively ending their counter attack,

but then again what happens when they are not faking?

what are your thoughts?

This thread is for anyone who watched the chelsea v united charity shield match,

evra went down but ref allowed play to continue, chelsea re-claimed possesion and scored, yet a lot of people thought they should of knocked the ball out of play,

Personally i dont agree,

First off I believed it was a foul but the referee signalled play on, and if you notice man united's players continued to play with him down, it was only when chelsea received possession did they think the ball needed to be kicked out,

if united would have continued with possession would they have kicked it out themselves? i personally think they were trying to use him as a defence to stop chelsea from counter attacking, they put too much trust in their belief that they would kick the ball out,

also did you notice the moment the goal went in he was straight back up again, and no doubt if the referee would have put the whistle to his lips he would have been straight back up,

I think this needs to be addressed as this whole area is a grey area, when is it right to kick the ball out? when does the referee decide? anyone can just go down and expect the opponents to kick it out, effectively ending their counter attack,

but then again what happens when they are not faking?

what are your thoughts?

It's a real bugbear of mine that the ball is kicked out at the first sign of a player hitting the deck thus stopping the game for what is normally nothing at all. It should be the ref's call - if it's a head injury and the guy isn't moving then stop the game. Otherwise the onus shouldn't be on the other team to stop the game for the injured player. It could be stopped by stricter refereeing.

Add this to the annoying lack of any action on play acting/diving etc. This could easily be stamped out also by incidents being reviewed post match and bans given out to someone faking or cheating.

But it won't. Sepp Blatter is too concerned with trying to get women footballers to play in skimpier outfits.

I think it's pretty simple.

The referee is the only person who should stop the game. Additionally, any restart should be with a competitive drop ball, not this girlie hoofing it back to the opposition nonsense.

As for the specific situation with Evra, I can't believe the ref didn't see Ballack take him out like that! Even having missed it, he probably should have stopped play as it was a head injury (but may have made the judgement that Evra was being a bit soft).

Lampard goes on to score - Evra would have been the man covering back had he been on his feet.

Question - should the physio be allowed to go on the pitch while play continues, as happens in rugby union? I think the answer should be yes, at least in the case of head injuries.

I think it's pretty simple.

The referee is the only person who should stop the game. Additionally, any restart should be with a competitive drop ball, not this girlie hoofing it back to the opposition nonsense.

As for the specific situation with Evra, I can't believe the ref didn't see Ballack take him out like that! Even having missed it, he probably should have stopped play as it was a head injury (but may have made the judgement that Evra was being a bit soft).

Lampard goes on to score - Evra would have been the man covering back had he been on his feet.

Question - should the physio be allowed to go on the pitch while play continues, as happens in rugby union? I think the answer should be yes, at least in the case of head injuries.

Same thing happened yesterday, and we nearly scored think it was their number 3 had gone down injured, good move down the right, Furman busrt into the box good save from Fon Williams with his legs. Would you have complained if we'd scored? Tbh it was possibly a foul by Ballack but Evra went down like a sack of :censored:. As for the Stockport lad play should have been stopped in my opinion as he was lay exactly where we were attacking and we had to dodge his prostrate figure on the right flank!

Same thing happened yesterday, and we nearly scored think it was their number 3 had gone down injured, good move down the right, Furman busrt into the box good save from Fon Williams with his legs. Would you have complained if we'd scored? Tbh it was possibly a foul by Ballack but Evra went down like a sack of :censored:. As for the Stockport lad play should have been stopped in my opinion as he was lay exactly where we were attacking and we had to dodge his prostrate figure on the right flank!

The stockport player should have been booked for diving. I would have been really pissed off if we'd have put the ball out because as soon as the attack ended the player got up and walked away and it was pleasing to see the referee wasn't fooled by him which they are so often are. IMO the only person that should stop the game is the referee, it shouldn't be up to the players.

I think the whole thing was highlighted by the fact that when Ballack was knocked over in a tackle the ref stopped play even though it was clear to see it was NOT a head injury. That deffinately set the tone for how the game was decided. But in all fairness, Rooney was offside for the second goal so its swings and roundabouts.

Was funny sat in the Grey Mare though when Chelsea won just to see how quickly the pub emptied. :lol: