FC United new stadium proposals

The capacity of a new stadium is decided based on the assumption that you wil never have to expand it, hence it is irrelevant whether the stadium is designed as expandable as it wont happen

Then again could you say Manchsster United lacked ambition by only having a 60,000 capacity stadium in the 1960s, why didn't they expand to its present capacity it until quite recently ?

However, if FC United and Latics are near enough the same capacity who will attact the greater crowds and how many of these will be from the Failsworth or Oldham area ?.

There will be many Reds fans in Oldham who can''t afford to go to see the Premiership team or don't travel to Bury, who also watch Latics, but may travel a short distance to follow the 'United' name.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Then again could you say Manchsster United lacked ambition by only having a 60,000 capacity stadium in the 1960s, why didn't they expand to its present capacity it until quite recently ?

However, if FC United and Latics are near enough the same capacity who will attact the greater crowds and how many of these will be from the Failsworth or Oldham area ?.

There will be many Reds fans in Oldham who can''t afford to go to see the Premiership team or don't travel to Bury, who also watch Latics, but may travel a short distance to follow the 'United' name.

Why are you so obsessed with what the Corp thinks?

Because I haven't yet worked him out :)

According to reports Football Club United of Manchester is planning to launch an open tender to find designers or architects to create its first stadium and club facilities later this year.

The interior design group’s plans include an ‘expandable’, 7000-capacity stadium constructed from recycled freight containers and featuring roof-mounted solar panels.

Rumours suggest the site will not be very far from the new Latics proposed stadium in Failsworth, and quite close to Eastlands home of Manchester City.

If this comes to fruition and FC United and Latics have stadiums only a couple of miles or so from each other does anyone think this may have some impact on Latics gates, particularly if FC United do well and achieve their aim of league fooball ?

oh yeah if this happens im defo gona stop watching latics to watch the mighty fc united :S I DONT FRICKEN THINK SO

End of the day we can't stop them building their ground, and we can't stop out current fans from driving a coupe of miles further to go see them them than it would be to go to BP or Failsworth. My gut feeling is that a shiny, tidy new ground of whatever size will give us a better hope of holding supporters and maybe even getting some floaters is than sitting where we are. It may even do more than building BP a stand at a time, which equates to several years of dust, moving of seats, continual rubbish facilities etc, and no grand opening as such.

End of the day we can't stop them building their ground, and we can't stop out current fans from driving a coupe of miles further to go see them them than it would be to go to BP or Failsworth. My gut feeling is that a shiny, tidy new ground of whatever size will give us a better hope of holding supporters and maybe even getting some floaters is than sitting where we are. It may even do more than building BP a stand at a time, which equates to several years of dust, moving of seats, continual rubbish facilities etc, and no grand opening as such.

Good points..

Why are you so obsessed with what the Corp thinks?

I'm not

The q was asked i wonder what corp would think of FC Utds development

I was just applying the logic of his argument to FC united development

Whilst I don't share Corps opinions, their his opinions nevertheless and he is entitled to them

Well the corps argument is that a 12000 seater stadium indicates our intention is to become a well run lower league club, with the potential for expansion counting for jack s**t as we have decided on that capacity with the anticipation we will never need to increase it, apparently

So by the same logic, FC united are building a 7k seater stadium (the fact that its an expandable stadium counts for nothing), so their hoping to be a well run conference club at best?

The difference is that FC United would regard fourth division football as a massive success story. For us it would be a terminal blow.

If they were in the fourth division and we were in the same, or even still kicking about the division we're in now, it's by no means impossible that they'd be getting the bigger crowds.

Don't be under the impression that the aim is to fill our projected little 12000-seater stadium on a regular basis.

oh yeah if this happens im defo gona stop watching latics to watch the mighty fc united :S I DONT FRICKEN THINK SO

Ardent Latics fans will follow them no matter if they play at BP or Failsworth, it's the casual fan (potentially thousands) I am concerned about, many of these Latics rely on to boost gates.

What I am wondering is if the two stadiums are close and FC United are having a successful run in whatever league/cups they are in and Latics are not doing so well who will the casual fan prefer to watch?

It may be a case of like two competing shops, they both have to be good to attract regular custom.

Edited by BP1960

But surely you can see that that ambition is linked to the fact that people actually go to watch them. They get similar crowds to us right down the non-league!! If no one watched them they would not be making their way up so quickly. They would have stagnated. If a few more people in Oldham actually came out and backed the club by attending games I am pretty sure you would see more ambition from us. Its all very well saying oh if we got in the Championship or Premiership they would come flocking back. Maybe so. But if they came and watched us now instead of waiting on the off chance we sneak a promotion on a small budget we actually see the club moving forward.

Obviosuly this is rant is not aimed at you! I guess as a regular poster on here you are one of the converted:) I wish someone could wave a magic wand and get an extra couple of thousand down to BP.

The situations at the two clubs are in no way similar. FCU are a breakwaway from the biggest club in the country and have some of that club's most fanatcial supporters behind them, with enthusiasm for building something from scratch. They have momentum.

Latics, on the other hand, are a club on a trajectory of decline, with a few false dawns to light up the gloom. Nobody seems able or willing to guide the club back to the modest glories of the recent past and now, some supporters at least can sense that the club is throwing in the towel. This gives rise to disillusionment that is reflected in attendance figures. If we, too, had momentum, the people of Oldham would eventually respond.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Oh have no doubts about that mate but the q was asking what the corp would think?

I merely applied his logic to the FC united stadium which is

- The capacity of a new stadium is a statement of intent

- The capacity of a new stadium is decided based on the assumption that you wil never have to expand it, hence it is irrelevant whether the stadium is designed as expandable as it wont happen

Hence by the corps logic, FC Uniteds aim is to be a well run conference/league two club at best.

However FC United don't have an assett worth millions.....and their proposal shows ambition to progress from where they are today where as ours does not. Our ambition is to cut what is a relatively minor maintenance bill and allow TTA to recoup some losses before ending their journey.

However FC United don't have an assett worth millions.....and their proposal shows ambition to progress from where they are today where as ours does not. Our ambition is to cut what is a relatively minor maintenance bill and allow TTA to recoup some losses before ending their journey.

So would FC United be serious rivals for the Latics casual fan ?

FCUM have done so well as despite paying Bury so much for the pleasure of using Gigg Lane as a home ground (its more than what the Rugby pay us I think) they make more money on the gate. The players they have are non-league players not earning much so the disparity between what they pay out in wages and what they make on the gate isn't that much (it may even be a profit), unlike almost all the other clubs at their level. They are a rich club in a small man's world and at that level its easy as pie to buy promotion, essentially they have a conference fan base but are playing (and paying the wages of) a division if 2 or 3 below that. FCUM are a team on the way up but they won't go that far without some major backing because its simply not sustainable (they couldn't afford to loose the amount of money we are loosing/season). I would think that a four sided ground with four sides running the length/width of the pitch would be about 7000, Scunny's ground is about that and that's small- they may not use all of it but it would be handy to have that extra capacity for any big games they have (they've yet to play in the FA cup proper but they probably will in the next 2 seasons). I would doubt that many people who are floating football fans round there would choose FCUM over Oldham (unless they couldn't afford to go to Oldham). I would think that considering Gigg Lane is easier to get to on public transport from anywhere in Rochdale, Bolton, Salford, Alty etc. than Newton Heath you may find that a few of these people will stop going if FCUM move. If FCUM get themselves into the conference and sustain themselves there then if we are in League 2 then it would make a difference to us but if we are in the Championship then we will start taking fans off them.

its all bollox tbh if people want to go watch other teams thay will this topic is just all if's and maybe's, this post is pointless until it is proven to be right stop waisting time on negative maybe's and look at the positives oldham has a good manager now that has his head screwed on a development team with some young potential a chance of a new stadium its exciting times we dont need to be worrying about other things going on around latics as there is nothing to worry about yet lets have this convo when we are in our new ground in a few years time.

its all bollox tbh if people want to go watch other teams thay will this topic is just all if's and maybe's, this post is pointless until it is proven to be right stop waisting time on negative maybe's and look at the positives oldham has a good manager now that has his head screwed on a development team with some young potential a chance of a new stadium its exciting times we dont need to be worrying about other things going on around latics as there is nothing to worry about yet lets have this convo when we are in our new ground in a few years time.

I'm just worried about your breathing. :lol:

we dont need to be worrying about other things going on around latics as there is nothing to worry about yet lets have this convo when we are in our new ground in a few years time.

Any business will tell you they are concerned with whats going on around them in the present or future plans.

You have to one step ahead these days.

Edited by BP1960

A club set up simply to leech off the fame of Manchester United in an area crowded with too many football league club as it is. Absolute joke.

They can't honestly believe there situation was anything like Wimbledons

A club set up simply to leech off the fame of Manchester United in an area crowded with too many football league club as it is. Absolute joke.

They can't honestly believe there situation was anything like Wimbledons

Not so much of a joke that they aren't already attracting gates not far off the size of Latics' attendances.

Unless you are a die hard Man U fan and want to sing anti Liverpool and Manchester City songs throughout every game what do they actually have that would entice any neutral football fans, never mind Latics fans to go and watch them. Irrespective of all their claims they are in effect the poor man's Man United part 2. End of.

Unless you are a die hard Man U fan and want to sing anti Liverpool and Manchester City songs throughout every game what do they actually have that would entice any neutral football fans, never mind Latics fans to go and watch them. Irrespective of all their claims they are in effect the poor man's Man United part 2. End of.

None of that matters when you consider that they already have a sizeable fanbase with, as people have noted, potential to grow. Possibly right on our proposed doorstep in an area much more inclined towards United than Latics.