Orient player ratings

Just based on my half-arsed opinions, fermented with six pints at the Birkbeck.

Dean Brill: 7 - shot-stopping was generally excellent, probably takes some blame for the mix-up with Gregan (I think) for the equaliser, and FOR GOD'S SAKE STOP TRYING TO KICK TO THE RIGHT (every single ball to Taylor went out of play) - very good otherwise.

Andy Holdsworth: 6 - thought he did alright, really, but lucky to stay on if the referee had been in a worse mood (not that the challenges were awful).

Ruben Hazell: 8 - only scores higher than Gregan because of the cock-up that led to the equaliser. Solid, don't remember him missing an important header or pass.

Sean Gregan: 7 - would be higher rated except for the equaliser (if my memory is right that it was him and Brill at fault). Nonchalant & imperious otherwise (made it look like he was hardly trying).

Peter Gilbert: 6 - but not a bad six; very steady, one slip that I can remember, otherwise solid. Think this lad would be worth a longer contract if we can afford it.

Keigan Parker: 8 - I could be the only one, but MOM for me - nasty wind-up merchant who got right up Orient's noses. He's going to be a key player.

Jon Worthington: 6 - put himself about, nothing bad to say, nothing remarkable either.

:censored:: 6 - only because I don't remember seeing much.

Dean Furman: 8 - did not stop running all game, right up until the end. Going to be a quality signing for us.

Chris Taylor: 7 - thought he was ineffectual attacking (the mazy dribble he tried before Abbott's penalty was seemingly going nowhere), but tenacious in pursuit and at least one cracking sliding tackle in the first half.

Pawel Abbott: 7 - didn't do a lot other than score; but then again, that's what he's there for, and he did it well.

Subs:

Kelvin Lomax: 6 - didn't see much of him (down the other end).

Danny Whitaker: 6 - did okay, particularly in the time-wasting efforts towards the death.

Darren Byfield: 7 - ditto, but actually looked threatening considering he was on his own and we were sitting back to defend deeply at the end.

Oh, and bonus points to the Orient announcer for his entertaining attempt to pronounce "Kazimierczak".

Edited by Crusoe

Think Holdsworth & :censored: a tad low. :censored: seemed very solid and a decent defender bar the couple of late tackles, least he stopped his man though. Thought Holdsworth had a cracking game, always creating space, confident on the ball, movement was top notch, instinct to earn the penalty, impressed me last week as well.

Holdsworth was superb in the 2nd half once he and :censored: switched probably due to the fact that the ref seemed to give a final warning to Holdsworth 5 or 10 mins before half time.

I think we might see that formation away from home pretty much all season we over ran them in the 2nd half in the middle and with Furman's quality he will be able to pick out one of the 3 attacking players and Abbott just looks like a class striker from the 7 or so games I've seen him now.

I'm really happy with the way the keeper and centre halves have played in the 3 competetive games so far barring the mistake by Gregan yesterday, but Brills done everything asked of him with out any trouble, and the 2 in front of him seem to have the partnership from the early part of last season back.

Definitly a performance to be pleased with.

Holdsworth was absolutely mullered first half by their Romanian guy (number 11) (Who incidently mullered us last season too, but one of those who won't do that on a regular basis) :censored: faired far better, but in fairness Parker noticed he was the threat and started to ruffle his feathers and after that he wasn't the same threat. Holdsworth did much better in the middle 2nd half whilst it maybe deceiving a little that cos he wasn't highlighted the same without the one on ones with the Romanian.

I like the idea of 2 attacking mids behind the striker it gives us more of an edge and a perfect position for furman and possibly parker

I posted elsewhere that I was very pleased with the performance and the individual work rate in mid field, BUT I certainly didn't see much attacking edge from them.

In my humble opinion i think the ratings are pretty much there or there abouts. Thought Gregan was great in the air but again when the balls on the floor he really does not fill me with any confidence. For me the stand out players were Furman and Parker, for no other reason than the ground they covered, general work rate and pressure they put on the ball.

I was sat directly behind the dugouts as i was there with Orient fans (extended family, what can i say!!) at the end of the game i spoke for a while with DP who said that the call from Brill on their goal was 'away' and that Gregan had misinterpreted it and just stopped! didn't seem too bothered with it cos as he rightly pointed out its what happens when a defence gets used to a new keeper.

Overall i thought it was a v.good performance from a new bunch of players definitely given the circumstances that we were away from home.

Lags - the Romanian (Patulea) didn't start, think he came on as a sub in the second half. Holdsworth was struggling against Demetriou (who impressed me for Orient). He only became less of a threat when Parker started winding him up, heh.

Still don't remember :censored: doing much. And I was a bit wrong on Brill, it was kicking to the left he was awful at (but he impressed with his stopping and length of kicks otherwise).

Watching the highlights today it's even clearer that Gregan was at fault for the equaliser - if in doubt, kick it out. I'd probably also bump up Pav to an 8 after seeing the replay of his missed chance (when he pressured the defence into a mistake and was unlucky not to score).

And I think it was a pretty good penalty decision. Looked to me like the defender's leg made contact inside the area, even if the tackle started outside.

Edited by Crusoe