I was never really sure why everyone got over excited about our new midfield quartet, and tonight I have seen what I thought I feared.

Are they destructive - yes.

The problem is that they don't have an ounce of imagination in their game.

Despite the fact that PA & KP ran their collective bollocks off, they never once saw a ball of any meaningful purpose.

Our midfield is :censored:e - forget all the expectations.

Derek.

I was never really sure why everyone got over excited about our new midfield quartet, and tonight I have seen what I thought I feared.

Despite the fact that PA & KP ran their collective bollocks off, they never once saw a ball of any meaningful purpose.

Derek.

I doubt it can be any worse than last year. Might as well give these guys a chance.

Derek.

Yeah and Allott and Maher had purpose and the ability to actually run on grass didnt they..

Sod off moaning Derek

Looks like you ain't been. They were shockingly poor tonight.

Derek.

Heard LP commentary, Furman and Worthington were everywhere and both attacked well, taylor and parker sounded quiet.

I think our problem is lack of width - when smalley and purdie return this will allow parker and the midfield more chance to get in the box and get forward, there is only taylor who gives us pace from the wings at the moment.

millwall are a decent side and it sounded like we were very unlucky to not get a point at least - PA's pen goes in its a different game, these things happen.

i'd be more worried about getting another cb and a striker to replace COG and LA quality wise to go with PA, KP and DB than the midfield.

From what i've heard and seen ...

- Furman hasnt stopped runnign for the 4 games he's player

- Worthington has been solid, not letting much past him

- Taylor been quiet since he picked up his injury but was very damging in pre season

- Holdsworth been playing well in midfield, creating lots of chances & earning 2 penalties.

Sorry if people disagree but this is what i've heard from various people on the board.

Derek.

I'm not sure that many did 'get over excited' - Furman yes - he definitely has something extra. Taylor is still carrying an injury and a shadow of the player he was - the other two are solid midfielders. I think most of us on this board are realistic about our chances this season - mid table beckons.

So 'a bag of :censored:e'? Not really - just playing to expectations. :wink:

From what i've heard and seen ...

- Furman hasnt stopped runnign for the 4 games he's player

- Worthington has been solid, not letting much past him

- Taylor been quiet since he picked up his injury but was very damging in pre season

- Holdsworth been playing well in midfield, creating lots of chances & earning 2 penalties.

Sorry if people disagree but this is what i've heard from various people on the board.

In the two matches I have seen, Taylor has been well marked most of the time but I agree he has been a bit under par. Furman not as creative as I had expected but what a worker. Totally agree about Worthington and Holdsworth.

No they weren't Derek, we played quite well tonight and they knocked it about quite well. Parker and Abbott recieved a lot of the ball.

Agreed.

We easily had equal, if not more, possession last night, which away from home twice on the bounce isn't that bad.

Millwall rushed us, and we rushed ourselves on a few occasions, but with such a congested midfield it's difficult to retain possession when trying to go forward. We took our time instead of constant, blind punts upfield, which I'm happy with whilst they're still getting to know each other.

Derek.

I've been to each of the first three league games. After Orient I posted ..

"We played with "bite" in midfield and we chased and harried for every ball... However, we do seem to lack in imagination and creativity. With a couple of exceptions the midfield dont thread balls through, and in fact the midfield was often by bypassed with the long ball overhead to Pavel. To his credit Pavel held the ball up well waiting for supporting players, or laying the ball off from head and foot. But other teams will soon work this out and, aside from Pavel, we did not have much attacking edge. On other days, like Stockport last week, we will boss the midfield but with no alternative striking options, we end up nil nil at best."

At Millwall we had the same shape as we did at Orient, but for some reason we were much tighter through the centre of midfield, and we had no width. Both of their goals came from spreading the ball wide and then getting it into the danger zone, and on both occasions we were stretched. And because we played with more with, the "bite" in our midfield was diminshed .. they simply played the ball around us. As for real creativity, it was still VERY limited. Pavel had a quieter game (but was still decent) but we had few alternatives apart from 2/3 runs through from midfield over 90 minutes.

So after 3 games, I think we are about where we deserve to be W1 D1 L1. And I think over the full season that's where we'll end up. But the're will be ups and downs to get excited about .. looking at all results so far, this league seems a lot more even than most people predicted.

Errr, I agree with the moaner. Our midfield was lacking in imagination. What's the problem with that?

They worked hard, granted, but they didn't offer anything in the way of attacking threat. The only time we really looked purposeful was when we got the penalty, which was then taken by someone wearing a slipper.

As BucksBlue said, creativity = limited. Anyone who thinks otherwise just wasn't there.