poor crowd today

sunny day and less than 4000 latics fans there. our fans need convincing. 0ne win, 2 draws and 2 losses dont exactly set the right standard. 2nd loss was carlisle by the way. who lost at home to exeter today. :angry:

We will not get increased crowds and interest until we are more successful on the pitch. The credit crunch is going to affect all clubs in lower divisions so I expect sub 4000 to be the norm especially with the lack of northern clubs in our division.

The novelty of the premiership has well and truly worn off at rugby town Wigan who had only 18,164 for a home game with the biggest draw in the league and when you consider at least 1/3 of the crowd will have been reds that really is an appalling turnout from the home fans!!!

I truly believe if we don't revert to North and South divisions pretty soon, regardless of the drawbacks and promotion issues, we will see the demise of full time proffesional lower league football in this country.

Radical steps need to be taken immediately as without doubt, lower league football cannot possibly survive and prosper in its present format.

I talked a couple of mates into going yesterday and you can bet your life that they will be in no rush to go and pay £20 to watch what was served up yesterday. Yes we had the better chances against Swindon but it was a case of one chance and then you had to wait about 15 minutes or so for anything else to happen that was remotely exciting. I am not sure if prices were even lower that people would come back and support us because at the moment the football is bloody boring to watch!

Atmosphere was really poor too.

We go 1 nil up I think one maybe two chants was sung from the Rocky Rd nowt from the Chaddy where I was and then just murmours and groaning.

Chaddy doesn't seem to wake up until the lads are shooting towards us.

Surely the atmosphere must deflate the players they score want us all excited and we're sat not giving a flying monkeys and when opponants score we're even flatter no crys of come on oldham trying to encourage a quick response

That's a silly thing to say, when you consider that other clubs at this level do manage to assemble squads capable of getting them out of it.

And, after 4 games, have you decided that this squad can't get us out of it?

All this 'we can't compete with suchaclub and suchaclub, we aren't Real Madrid,' stuff seems to be the default position of the dwindling numbers who are (yawn) 'keeping the faith.' It's all part and parcel of the attitude that the club has to be third or fourth rate in every respect and nothing can ever be done about it.

I'd say the only attitude that is third or fourth rate is that of those "fans" who moan constantly, are never willing to offer support to the club and critisise whenever the club tries to move in a different direction.....

Another reason for the cynicism, apart from all the broken promises and false dawns Latics fans have had to endure, is that this is yet another new playing squad. Most of us don't know these players. We don't identify with most of them. How many more new faces will come and go in the space of a few weeks over the course of the season?

That this is what lower division football is like now is another symptom of its terminal decline.

That's the key one for me. There's no way I will ever be a twenty game a season man. When I do make my occasional visits thefre is barely a player who registers

Another reason for the cynicism, apart from all the broken promises and false dawns Latics fans have had to endure, is that this is yet another new playing squad. Most of us don't know these players. We don't identify with most of them. How many more new faces will come and go in the space of a few weeks over the course of the season?

That this is what lower division football is like now is another symptom of its terminal decline.

Isn't this just what happens when a new management team comes in though?

Admittedly Sheridan had the habit of signing players and sending them out on loan, which was a bit odd, and shifting players from club to club is made easier than it used to be because of the Bosman ruling, but at this stage of the season can't we give Dave Penny the benefit of the doubt that he's trying to build a reasonably settled squad and in 6 months time the likes of Abbott, Worthington and Furman might seem more "Oldham".

Your kind of referring to me as not being part of the OAFC "hardcore" fan base. I will let you make your own mind up on that as in my eyes a fan is a fan but I have been going every season since 1988 (8 years old). This is the first season when I am thinking I dont know what will be my first game.

Its not about Bunn / Ritchie and the glory years... Its about going watching something that is about sport and passion and not about money, greed and dear I say it, wholesome family fun. Even in League One the amount the players earn compared to how much the clubs bring in is stupid. They are asking £20 a match of third tier football. Its a joke. You cant stand, you cant swear, you cant do :censored:. You have to sit there, eat your popcorn and support your local PLC, even at BP its all changed. Its all different and its very dead. And it wont / cant survive going forward.

I dont want hooligans kicking :censored: out of each other like in the 80s etc but neither do I want to sit there in sterile, dull atmosphere, watching over paid players who have no passion for the badge, paying £20 for the privilege. It is literally awful attending a latics game. Its a million miles away from what got me going in the first place. Used to be fun.

I think you will find that a lot of the "hardcore" are going to become "softcore" as the years roll on.

For what it is worth I do think that this site does represent the general mood amongst fans. It has around a 1,000 members for a start. Considering there was 4,000 there yesterday I think it is repersentative.

I will no doubt get to a game at some point but at the moment I really can think of much better things to do.

The comparison you offer is funny. The cancer comes from the top (aka united) and effects us down below. To think it isnt linked is short sighted.

Spot on, IMO. I too haven't been to a game this year - work and childcare reasons, BUT, if I really really wanted to go I possibly could have tried to call a few favours in and finished work earlier and maybe got someone to look after my 1 year old but you know what I didn't really want to go that much... I'll end up going soon and maybe I'll get the bug back but at the min I just can't arsed with home games. And away games are only appealing as it's an all day/night pass out....

I talked a couple of mates into going yesterday and you can bet your life that they will be in no rush to go and pay £20 to watch what was served up yesterday. Yes we had the better chances against Swindon but it was a case of one chance and then you had to wait about 15 minutes or so for anything else to happen that was remotely exciting. I am not sure if prices were even lower that people would come back and support us because at the moment the football is bloody boring to watch!

I agree,i know the team needs time to gel but the football served up is just not exciting,no sustained pressure and really getting at teams.

Then we have the chicken and egg scenario,the team needs to excite the fans to get them going but the team seems to need the fans to spur them on in the first place.

Taylor at the mo is not the same player,either carrying an injury or distracted,he just isn't running at defenders and taking them on,seems content to carry it forward a bit then lay it off backwards.

At the mo the whole club seems a bit flat.

Your kind of referring to me as not being part of the OAFC "hardcore" fan base. I will let you make your own mind up on that as in my eyes a fan is a fan but I have been going every season since 1988 (8 years old). This is the first season when I am thinking I dont know what will be my first game.

Its not about Bunn / Ritchie and the glory years... Its about going watching something that is about sport and passion and not about money, greed and dear I say it, wholesome family fun. Even in League One the amount the players earn compared to how much the clubs bring in is stupid. They are asking £20 a match of third tier football. Its a joke. You cant stand, you cant swear, you cant do :censored:. You have to sit there, eat your popcorn and support your local PLC, even at BP its all changed. Its all different and its very dead. And it wont / cant survive going forward.

I dont want hooligans kicking :censored: out of each other like in the 80s etc but neither do I want to sit there in sterile, dull atmosphere, watching over paid players who have no passion for the badge, paying £20 for the privilege. It is literally awful attending a latics game. Its a million miles away from what got me going in the first place. Used to be fun.

I think you will find that a lot of the "hardcore" are going to become "softcore" as the years roll on.

For what it is worth I do think that this site does represent the general mood amongst fans. It has around a 1,000 members for a start. Considering there was 4,000 there yesterday I think it is repersentative.

I will no doubt get to a game at some point but at the moment I really can think of much better things to do.

The comparison you offer is funny. The cancer comes from the top (aka united) and effects us down below. To think it isnt linked is short sighted.

The best post BeckfordsRightFoot has ever read on this board. Apart from his own.