Blitz: Stadium on proposed Failsworth site is on track

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sod it, I'm diving in. There's something fishy going on here. I can't understand why the council have now decided to work alongside us and support the club. Oh wait, yes I do, they want houses to be built on BP - affordable social housing. Can't do that unless the football club relocates. So how can they achieve that little nugget? I know, give us permission somewhere else. That might as well be Newton Heath. On green field land that really should not be developed.

I don't like this one bit, even though I have said in the past maybe it's the only way. Now I'm changing my mind.

OMBC back scratching anyone?

Chapter 4 of the Ritchie Report is interesting. Particularly in terms of targets and timescales relating to housing.

Ahem.

Men's Fitness is much better than Men's Health

Aren't both of them a cover for blokes who aren't comfortable enough yet to buy Euroboy, or something similar? A bit like buying Nuts rather than Club International, or whatever the hadcore grot mag of choice is these days.

Fact is chaps...all conspiracies and emotion aside....we just cannot afford a new stadium without being able to rely on funds from the sale of the whole current site. Previously, when land values were much higher, we would have been able to fund a new stadium, of bigger design, just from selling off the fringes of the current site...

If we want a new stadium we have no option but to move. A move would be a good thing in my opinion - BP is landlocked and not suitable for a major football ground/leisure development - I never much liked the proposed layout of the Oldham Arena and those :censored:-flats around it. I must say that the move to Failsworth is something I am very against. But I just don't think there is any other practical space available in the Borough - it's a truly :censored:e state of affairs...

Chapter 4 of the Ritchie Report is interesting. Particularly in terms of targets and timescales relating to housing.

Ahem.

Very interesting indeed RBL.

In addition, Our Lady's and St Augustines merge at a new school @ Broadway, with the Our Lady's site being taken over by Grange in 2013.

Now who would have use for a bloody great big piece of land within spitting distance of the Our Lady's site?

As those cheeky young scamps The Gallaghers would say

And then dance if you want to dance

Please brother take a chance

You know they're gonna go

Which way they wanna go

All we know is that we don't know

How it's gonna be

Please brother let it be

Life on the other hand won't make us understand

We're all part of 'The Masterplan'

It's no surprise that the Council are up for facilitating anything that means houses get built in brownfield sites, a friend of mine who would perhaps have been involved if the BP development had come to be appealed to Whitehall couldn't believe that the council turned it down in the first place. Plainly it's a better option at this moment them helping us move onto a virtually worthless site now and letting them build more houses on BP. It may be that the council are bending over backwards to make their target of so-called, "affordable housing," or, "key worker accommodation," and thus not lose funding. Such is the filthy world of any large scale development.

Very interesting indeed RBL.

In addition, Our Lady's and St Augustines merge at a new school @ Broadway, with the Our Lady's site being taken over by Grange in 2013.

Now who would have use for a bloody great big piece of land within spitting distance of the Our Lady's site?

As those cheeky young scamps The Gallaghers would say

And then dance if you want to dance

Please brother take a chance

You know they're gonna go

Which way they wanna go

All we know is that we don't know

How it's gonna be

Please brother let it be

Life on the other hand won't make us understand

We're all part of 'The Masterplan'

Another School is being built on Ourlady's once Our Lady's move.

Mr Blitz stressed once again that relocation is vital for Athletic’s future.

“The new stadium will move the club forward and catapult it to the next level,” he said.

Athletic managing director Simon Corney, chief executive Alan Hardy and the architects, who have previously designed Shrewsbury’s new ground as well as Leigh Sports Village, will be visiting 15 new grounds built over the last five years.

They will be aiming to do this within the next 90 days, picking the best aspects from each to incorporate in their own design, but within their own budget.

Wonder what the 15 are? Any guesses

MK Dons

milton_keynes_dons_stadium_hok030108_1.jpg

Colchester

big_21_July_08_The_Stadium_will_also_be_home_to_Colchester_United_FC.jpg

Shrewsbury

shrewsbury_town_stadium_gallery_08_470x320.jpg

Coventry

290px-Ricoh_Arena,_Coventry_(stand_and_pitch)_14s07.jpg

Doncaster

0,,10444~3201862,00.jpg

Edited by Lookers_Carl

Fact is chaps...all conspiracies and emotion aside....we just cannot afford a new stadium without being able to rely on funds from the sale of the whole current site. Previously, when land values were much higher, we would have been able to fund a new stadium, of bigger design, just from selling off the fringes of the current site...

If we want a new stadium we have no option but to move. A move would be a good thing in my opinion - BP is landlocked and not suitable for a major football ground/leisure development - I never much liked the proposed layout of the Oldham Arena and those :censored:-flats around it. I must say that the move to Failsworth is something I am very against. But I just don't think there is any other practical space available in the Borough - it's a truly :censored:e state of affairs...

You pretty much sum it all up there.... :(

Have you actually been ?

whether i have or havent, its not what its supposed to be and transport is horrendous. however awe inspiring a 90000 seat venue appear as you first see it, on the whole its not that great.

i was a bit harsh in saying 'crap', i meant the whole experience including prices and food and all the like. i suppose if i took the stadium on its own, if i could teleport in and out, with my own food, oblivious to the location and forget what it was supposed to be like, i would say it was 'good'. but i cant, so its not.

With us only hitting average gates of 4-4500 then anything more than 12000 would have a detrimental effect on the team im my opinion.

On one hand we have this new sparkly stadium with 21st century facilities but stands achieving less than 20% capacity with no noise to motivate the players. It will be a ground without any life and showcase just how poor the support is and that the club is on the decline.

Here's hoping that once stadium is built - hoping we're still in this division or above - then further funds can be realised so that success/ambition on the pitch matches that off of it.

However, it'll most definitely be without the current owners I'm afraid but I'll be thankful that their legacy will be this new stadium. Ideal world is that the BP sale at the very least writes off current debts so we have a clean slate when we move in.

We'll then be sitting tenants - unless the owners of the stadium also own the club - and paying rent that is affordable so we can then focus on the field and achieve success that befits the new stadium. Utopia I know but I'm ever the eternal optimist.

Doesn't it mean that the club will be able to generate income from sources other than just football? Meaning that we can progress on the pitch as well as off it?

e.g. conference facilities, concerts, etc?

We may break even rather than losing money every season. Which means that the budgets for plaing staff would not increase.

Mr. Blitz states in his interview that they will not have to sell BP to fund the new stadium. They will sell bits off when necessary. So where's the money coming from. It won't be from there own pockets, therefore they must have arranged a loan. Why couldn't this be done in stages at BP. Get the new stand up with all the facilities to generate cash, and then rebuild the other two stands.

Mr. Blitz states in his interview that they will not have to sell BP to fund the new stadium. They will sell bits off when necessary. So where's the money coming from. It won't be from there own pockets, therefore they must have arranged a loan. Why couldn't this be done in stages at BP. Get the new stand up with all the facilities to generate cash, and then rebuild the other two stands.

I think it's more to do with the surrounding area of BP, limitations in off-field facilities to fund the stadium/team in the future and the NIMBYs too. Due to shortsightedness of some stakeholders a move outside of the area is a necessity now.

Then again it makes more financial sense to rebuild elsewhere and sell of the BP ground and surrounding land as more money will be generated that way than developing BP and selling of pockets of surrounding land.

I'm more interested in not how the stadium is being funded but how accountable will the football club be for those costs once the stadium is built and we're playing there. Likelihood is that we'll be tenants paying rent and the stadium is funded from the sale of BP and surrounding land. The funding for the purchase of Failsworth site and construction will be provided in return for the BP land and return from development of housing etc. By time stadium is complete and housing built on the old BP site then housing prices will be buoyant again and the return on that will fund majority if not all of the new stadium, which we have to remember is being down-sized.

I think it's more to do with the surrounding area of BP, limitations in off-field facilities to fund the stadium/team in the future and the NIMBYs too. Due to shortsightedness of some stakeholders a move outside of the area is a necessity now.

Then again it makes more financial sense to rebuild elsewhere and sell of the BP ground and surrounding land as more money will be generated that way than developing BP and selling of pockets of surrounding land.

I'm more interested in not how the stadium is being funded but how accountable will the football club be for those costs once the stadium is built and we're playing there. Likelihood is that we'll be tenants paying rent and the stadium is funded from the sale of BP and surrounding land. The funding for the purchase of Failsworth site and construction will be provided in return for the BP land and return from development of housing etc. By time stadium is complete and housing built on the old BP site then housing prices will be buoyant again and the return on that will fund majority if not all of the new stadium, which we have to remember is being down-sized.

Hopefully we don't end up like Coventry who only own a small percentage of their ground., and only get a small proprotion of income from events that are held at the stadium. They have not brought in any new players this season as they are desperately trying to raise cash to buy the ground.