Im comming home for 2 months!

A pint of Sam Smiths is a blessing in London, but it's not what I'd travel thousands of miles back to Lancashire for.

If that's in Lancashire at all :huh:

Aah see the advantage of living in Durham a pub less than a mile from where I live (but that doesn't make it my local) is a Sam smiths pub so if I ever have a hankering for a pint (which is unlikely) I know where to find it.

Edited by rudemedic

Aah see the advantage of living in Durham a pub less than a mile from where I live (but that doesn't make it my local) is a Sam smiths pub so if I ever have a hankering for a pint (which is unlikely) I know where to find it.

I had a fair few of them on Thursday night in the Cheshire Cheese on Fleet Street, extremely cheap for London and not served flat, the only major downside being that the pub was designed for hobbits.Their boozers are the only London ones I drink bitter in. It's certainly no Lees though.

I had a fair few of them on Thursday night in the Cheshire Cheese on Fleet Street, extremely cheap for London and not served flat, the only major downside being that the pub was designed for hobbits.Their boozers are the only London ones I drink bitter in. It's certainly no Lees though.

Are Sam Smith's prices the same in London as up here....i.e 1.61 for lager in normal pub, 1.71 for lager in town/city centre pub ?? I know you're a bitter drinker, but the lager prices should give you an idea....

Swan? Colpitts?

Whichever, Sam Smiths is awful.

Why would anyone drink this :censored:e? Well, unless alcoholic and cheap.

Swan? Colpitts?

Whichever, Sam Smiths is awful.

Why would anyone drink this :censored:e? Well, unless alcoholic and cheap.

Colpitts- although I don't go in there as much as I used to since my mates moved from next door. Which Swan are you talking about? I wouldn't call Sam Smiths :censored: but there are certainly better beers out there- its not that cheap in Durham as well.

Colpitts- although I don't go in there as much as I used to since my mates moved from next door. Which Swan are you talking about? I wouldn't call Sam Smiths :censored: but there are certainly better beers out there- its not that cheap in Durham as well.

Not coming 'home' for some time (living in Singapore) but don't moan about the cost of a pint when in many (so-called) pubs over here - you would be lucky to get a pint (or even a bottle) for less than 7 quid (and that's cheap for this place). Many places will charge over 12 quid. So when I hear Latics results (lately) I can't even afford to get drunk and forget it. I was over in June for a few days and had a few beers just for old times sake.

Keep the faith even though it's looking dodgy at the moment. Is it a case of a 'Bad Penney'? Or is it simply the case that the budget won't let him get anything better than what he's brought in?

Not coming 'home' for some time (living in Singapore) but don't moan about the cost of a pint when in many (so-called) pubs over here - you would be lucky to get a pint (or even a bottle) for less than 7 quid (and that's cheap for this place). Many places will charge over 12 quid. So when I hear Latics results (lately) I can't even afford to get drunk and forget it. I was over in June for a few days and had a few beers just for old times sake.

Keep the faith even though it's looking dodgy at the moment. Is it a case of a 'Bad Penney'? Or is it simply the case that the budget won't let him get anything better than what he's brought in?

Memo to self only go to Singapore if someone else is paying.

But it's a travesty that almost all SS pubs in London including the Cheese which has been a regular haunt for many years have ditched the handpumps. Cheap but now sadly turned into hideous land muck which resembles John Smiths - a crime against nature.

Swan and three cygnets. I think that's still Samuel Smiths. But it stinks since it got flooded (years ago), it's full of tramps since it gave 24 hour drinking a go and I'm not a fan of their drink. Other than that it's fine, being on a bridge/riverside in the middle of Durham. They'd make a bomb if they did it well.

Durham is a bit messy for cheap drink, unless you want to go on North Road, which to be fair, no one in their right mind would. The Half Moon has a reasonable range, isn't too expensive (about £2.50 a pint) - although the price of the bottles is over £3.

The nicer pints I find are at The Bridge, which is very convenient for where I work, and if you like proper drink the Tap & Spiel. But you do pay the price at both of those.

Then again, the train to Newcastle is only about a fiver...

Swan and three cygnets. I think that's still Samuel Smiths. But it stinks since it got flooded (years ago), it's full of tramps since it gave 24 hour drinking a go and I'm not a fan of their drink. Other than that it's fine, being on a bridge/riverside in the middle of Durham. They'd make a bomb if they did it well.

Durham is a bit messy for cheap drink, unless you want to go on North Road, which to be fair, no one in their right mind would. The Half Moon has a reasonable range, isn't too expensive (about £2.50 a pint) - although the price of the bottles is over £3.

The nicer pints I find are at The Bridge, which is very convenient for where I work, and if you like proper drink the Tap & Spiel. But you do pay the price at both of those.

Then again, the train to Newcastle is only about a fiver...

The bridge- never been in there but might give it a go. Tap and spiel- same although I don't know where that is. The garden house (which is nearer to where I work) is OK. If you like your ale- the Big Jug on Claypath has Bombardier for £1.80 (or summat like that- my Dad was raving about it when cruely I was being teetotal). The Market Place (or is it taverns) has a few good ales too but it can take an age to get served in there (the barman at least serves people in order though).

The bridge- never been in there but might give it a go. Tap and spiel- same although I don't know where that is. The garden house (which is nearer to where I work) is OK. If you like your ale- the Big Jug on Claypath has Bombardier for £1.80 (or summat like that- my Dad was raving about it when cruely I was being teetotal). The Market Place (or is it taverns) has a few good ales too but it can take an age to get served in there (the barman at least serves people in order though).

The Soverign beer is miles better than thte Old Brewery....

Are Sam Smith's prices the same in London as up here....i.e 1.61 for lager in normal pub, 1.71 for lager in town/city centre pub ?? I know you're a bitter drinker, but the lager prices should give you an idea....

It’s not Northern prices but certainly cheaper than normal London pubs – I think two bitters and a pure brew lager came to about £6.60, before we went onto the bottles which are about £3 each. But then it’s only £1.3something in the Yew Tree.