tta out before it is too late

Spot on ... Penney is still learning about his players, its just a pity most of us can see Hazell and Gregan as not the answer!!!

The club is more further on than it was 6 years ago, we have a club, we are completing our fixtures, we have a youth team and decent set up and we DONT have to sell out best players to survive like other clubs..

Its on the pitch and certain roles at the club we are not PROFESSIONAL ! This is the same at my work and no doubt at other people work ...

TTA said they were here for the long term, 6 years on and they are still here !!

Blitz needs to look at the Club and be honest !! Can he take the club on himself or does he need an invester !

Think we all know the anwer to this one !

Also spot on. I agree with the point about Moore also further up. It was our mistake not giving him enough time, and it will be our mistake again not giving Penney enough time.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also spot on. I agree with the point about Moore also further up. It was our mistake not giving him enough time, and it will be our mistake again not giving Penney enough time.

but it was us the fan's who got rid of ronnie the chastism against him was vile and uncalled for....

Absolute tosh.

One word "sustainable"

Simply put Oldham Athletic is not sustainable without the financial backing of TTA. In the present economic climate the best position is that of trader and not investor. We don't have much to trade without selling the club off cheap - the club as a business is not sustainable and it is unlikely that anyone would want to invest in a club that costs money. My suggestion to all the doom and gloomers out there is be patient. TTA brought Penney in because he is proven at lower league level. He needs time to get the team right and we can't expect us to be world beaters from day one. In fact we won't be world beaters at all. If we are realistic then we should accept that this season is all about survival in league 1. We will probably make some money from the sale of players such as Chris Taylor - enough to keep the club going. This is not being un-ambitious it is being realistic.

I understand that we all want success and that a win makes every supporter happy. I also understand that its an expensive hobby supporting any football team. You do have a choice and if you choose to watch or not watch the games then that's your perogative. All I would say on this is keep your emotions away from the players because it doesn't help to vent your frustration on them - that's the Manager's job.

Above all keep the faith because our team needs our faith in this difficult time.

Spot on ... Penney is still learning about his players, its just a pity most of us can see Hazell and Gregan as not the answer!!!

The club is more further on than it was 6 years ago, we have a club, we are completing our fixtures, we have a youth team and decent set up and we DONT have to sell out best players to survive like other clubs..

Its on the pitch and certain roles at the club we are not PROFESSIONAL ! This is the same at my work and no doubt at other people work ...

TTA said they were here for the long term, 6 years on and they are still here !!

Blitz needs to look at the Club and be honest !! Can he take the club on himself or does he need an invester !

Think we all know the anwer to this one !

Problem is, chances are any investor will probably want a share of any profit made from the move

After doing all the donkeywork for past six years themselves, will TTA be willing to let someone else come on board for a relatively easy ride?

This board is becoming a joke - some of the people posting are becoming so polarised in their opinions that there just isn't any sensible debate.

Nobody is above questions being asked, and TTA are funding losses at a club that is sitting on land with a value well in excess of the money that they've pumped in - why shouldn't people ask questions? Since we put a significant fee together to get Davies, where have they put out good money? In return we have seen £500k for Trotman, about £100k (so I heard) for Davies and probably about £250k (after Wrexham) for Eardley. The best part of a million in, and probably only just over twice that paid to cover costs - all that means that they haven't been bankrupting themselves given that BP's site is worth many times that.

However, they saved the club and until this season I haven't had cause to question their banking to the managers. Sheridan's last season was a disaster, and from what I can see Penney's squad is nice, but with real issues up front and at the back. Clearly those are the two key areas at our level. So, while the uncertainty over the stadium, the issues with spending on the team and the club's long-term strategy are all areas that TTA are responsible for, they cannot be held accountable for the managers' poor decisions. We have had excellent opportunities to get out of this division, and it is the playing squad and management who are responsible for us not taking them.

The real criticism that I would level at the club over the last 4 years is that we have chopped and changed the squad far too much - probably about 20 transfers in or out every summer is no way to build a team. Every season we seem to have been trying to get a team that would get us up, when maybe we should have been looking to utilise our youth team and bolster it with some young lads from elsewhere that we could have brought on. Much like Scunthorpe and their numerous successes in finding young strikers being released...

Acknowledged tensions are high with the loss, but saying TTA out is becoming ridiculous.

Hughes was always going to be scoring that many in League Two.

maybe we should have kept him for next season or when notts county take our place in this leauge we will resign him

This board is becoming a joke - some of the people posting are becoming so polarised in their opinions that there just isn't any sensible debate.

Nobody is above questions being asked, and TTA are funding losses at a club that is sitting on land with a value well in excess of the money that they've pumped in - why shouldn't people ask questions? Since we put a significant fee together to get Davies, where have they put out good money? In return we have seen £500k for Trotman, about £100k (so I heard) for Davies and probably about £250k (after Wrexham) for Eardley. The best part of a million in, and probably only just over twice that paid to cover costs - all that means that they haven't been bankrupting themselves given that BP's site is worth many times that.

However, they saved the club and until this season I haven't had cause to question their banking to the managers. Sheridan's last season was a disaster, and from what I can see Penney's squad is nice, but with real issues up front and at the back. Clearly those are the two key areas at our level. So, while the uncertainty over the stadium, the issues with spending on the team and the club's long-term strategy are all areas that TTA are responsible for, they cannot be held accountable for the managers' poor decisions. We have had excellent opportunities to get out of this division, and it is the playing squad and management who are responsible for us not taking them.

The real criticism that I would level at the club over the last 4 years is that we have chopped and changed the squad far too much - probably about 20 transfers in or out every summer is no way to build a team. Every season we seem to have been trying to get a team that would get us up, when maybe we should have been looking to utilise our youth team and bolster it with some young lads from elsewhere that we could have brought on. Much like Scunthorpe and their numerous successes in finding young strikers being released...

everything is speculative know one knows how much they have lost to date know one knows how much they will make... as for chopping and changing bosmon ensured that that is the way foreward for all clubs no one is immune ...even prem clubs ask wigan fan's :grin: :grin: :grin:

It has to be remembered that, regardless of what TTA make or don't make off the land, they bought it.

I'm not happy with them at the moment though. I want to see money spent on the team - if they can't spend it I want someone who can. Like it, or more likely loathe it, football is now all about money and therefore we need to endeavour to find some. Otherwise, what's the point???

From being a season ticket holder of 16 years up until last season my interest has suddenly dwindled to the point where I didn't even listen to the commentary on LW today, instead prefering to play music via youtube!

Edited by Stitch_KTF

So if my understanding of the situation is correct based on the general consensus on here...

1, Under no circumstances can we be anti-Dave Penney, as NONE of what is happening is his fault!

2, However, a very poor start to the season (and in a lot of ways continuing last seasons poor finish) - We now turn on the owners!

3, Despite the fact we look like relegation fodder, we are now saying TTA could make a profit out of the club (on the back of 6 years of losses/financial backing from them).

If you read any of the interviews from TTA, they publicly admitted from Day 1 they would make mistakes. Best way in the world to learn something is to do it wrong! That way you can correct it in the future. Also, they have NEVER EVER said they would be here for 20/30/40 years and would always look to move on....but only when it is right for the club and themselves!

Turning on the owners is a Wrong and a Bad move in my opinion. Without them there would be no club anyway. The buck stops with the players and the manager! They would take plaudits for winning something, so they take ownership for the defeats and poor performances now....NOT TTA!

So if my understanding of the situation is correct based on the general consensus on here...

1, Under no circumstances can we be anti-Dave Penney, as NONE of what is happening is his fault!

2, However, a very poor start to the season (and in a lot of ways continuing last seasons poor finish) - We now turn on the owners!

3, Despite the fact we look like relegation fodder, we are now saying TTA could make a profit out of the club (on the back of 6 years of losses/financial backing from them).

If you read any of the interviews from TTA, they publicly admitted from Day 1 they would make mistakes. Best way in the world to learn something is to do it wrong! That way you can correct it in the future. Also, they have NEVER EVER said they would be here for 20/30/40 years and would always look to move on....but only when it is right for the club and themselves!

Turning on the owners is a Wrong and a Bad move in my opinion. Without them there would be no club anyway. The buck stops with the players and the manager! They would take plaudits for winning something, so they take ownership for the defeats and poor performances now....NOT TTA!

Agreed

Totally cant believe what im reading. The TTA have always made money available for transfers, it isnt thier fault they dont come off, is it?? If anyone who wants them out, can find someone who is interested in safeguarding the future of this club long term (Which TTA are) And is prepared to pump money into a 3rd division team with a following of less than 4000, then fair play, otherwise.. ssh! <_<

Totally cant believe what im reading. The TTA have always made money available for transfers, it isnt thier fault they dont come off, is it?? If anyone who wants them out, can find someone who is interested in safeguarding the future of this club long term (Which TTA are) And is prepared to pump money into a 3rd division team with a following of less than 4000, then fair play, otherwise.. ssh! <_<

We had a following over 6000 when they took over.

ambition in, grateful for their financial input over the last 6 years but let's stop kidding ourselves their 4th division budget is working. Happy clapping ass kissers need not reply. 5 goals in 9, hughes has scored 7 on his own, therein lies the problem - playing at building a team has left us with the :censored:e we've been left with.

Then he takes his cigar, lightes the blue touch paper and

presses the "Post new Topic" button :naughty:

Lol at people admitting we should've given Moore more time...

As for TTA...well, I've sadly got to the point of asking myself if their heart is really in it anymore (whether justified or not)...I answer that I firmly don't believe it is anymore and that a land deal and exit strategy is in place...am I happy with that outcome? Left in Failsworth, little guarantee we're not going to be the next Darlington, Oxford or Northampton...

I'm not asking for TTA out...as in, go now and shut the door on the way...but I would rather not be moved to Failsworth either when I firmly believe BP can be redeveloped and made into a workable stadium with facilities CENTRALLY to Oldham. Not down next door to the land of The Arab Revolution!!! So in that case...yes, I probably do want TTA to put us up for sale...lock, stock and 2 smoking barrels to find someone wanting to give it their best shot. A best shot which I thank TTA for doing...but now, maybe, have taken us as far as they can do.

Edited by boundaryblue80

I firmly believe BP can be redeveloped and made into a workable stadium with facilities CENTRALLY to Oldham.

Half a million quid. A year. Do you have that? I sure as hell don't, and know of no one that does.

It's as simple as that. They are trying to leave us with a chance of survival. The other option is winding up the club. Like you believe there are other options, I believe that is the case. Move to Failsworth or start a new club in the North West Counties league. I'll stick with Failsworth for now.

Lol at people admitting we should've given Moore more time...

As for TTA...well, I've sadly got to the point of asking myself if their heart is really in it anymore (whether justified or not)...I answer that I firmly don't believe it is anymore and that a land deal and exit strategy is in place...am I happy with that outcome? Left in Failsworth, little guarantee we're not going to be the next Darlington, Oxford or Northampton...

I'm not asking for TTA out...as in, go now and shut the door on the way...but I would rather not be moved to Failsworth either when I firmly believe BP can be redeveloped and made into a workable stadium with facilities CENTRALLY to Oldham. Not down next door to the land of The Arab Revolution!!! So in that case...yes, I probably do want TTA to put us up for sale...lock, stock and 2 smoking barrels to find someone wanting to give it their best shot. A best shot which I thank TTA for doing...but now, maybe, have taken us as far as they can do.

Would seem tts have had enough...

Half a million quid. A year. Do you have that? I sure as hell don't, and know of no one that does.

It's as simple as that. They are trying to leave us with a chance of survival. The other option is winding up the club. Like you believe there are other options, I believe that is the case. Move to Failsworth or start a new club in the North West Counties league. I'll stick with Failsworth for now.

They are trying to leave us in a Stadium yes, but with no gaurantees of survival at all. Infact, far from it. And they get their returns and leave.

There is another option...it isnt winding up the club...it's selling to another party...one with fresh desire which TTA have lost, one willing to pump in the cash to make Oldham Arena/Sportspark or whatever happen. We've got land that clubs would kill for around the country. We can do this one to death all we like...simply put...TTA won't be here in a few years time after they do what they came to do from day one. They wanted to do it at BP but have spent so long and so much fighting the council that they've seen the better land deal become selling BP and moving to Failsworth. It gives us no guarantees of survival at all, infact, endangers us further (this you'll highly disagree on and is the sole sticking point in our beliefs!) but all for a higher profit. More so than staying at BP and making it work. So I'm fast coming around to the idea of wanting them to hand the batton over and recoup what they've put in.

They are trying to leave us in a Stadium yes, but with no gaurantees of survival at all. Infact, far from it. And they get their returns and leave.

There is another option...it isnt winding up the club...it's selling to another party...one with fresh desire which TTA have lost, one willing to pump in the cash to make Oldham Arena/Sportspark or whatever happen. We've got land that clubs would kill for around the country. We can do this one to death all we like...simply put...TTA won't be here in a few years time after they do what they came to do from day one. They wanted to do it at BP but have spent so long and so much fighting the council that they've seen the better land deal become selling BP and moving to Failsworth. It gives us no guarantees of survival at all, infact, endangers us further (this you'll highly disagree on and is the sole sticking point in our beliefs!) but all for a higher profit. More so than staying at BP and making it work. So I'm fast coming around to the idea of wanting them to hand the batton over and recoup what they've put in.

I don't disagree at all with most of what you have said, including your sticking point.

My point is that no one will buy the club for a price giving the spent money back to TTA without the land. TTA will not get anywhere near the money they put in and are far better off selling.

Simply put, they own our ass (sorry to be american over this), and the best we can hope for is that they have some dignity and give us a stadium. They can do what they want. We can demand nothing at all.

The baton will be handed over at Failsworth (IMO) or flushed down the Chaddy End bogs as they get bulldozed into flats as we become 3-17 Sheepfoot Lane.

I've said before and I'll repeat myself. It's gettin close to any land deal needed to be completed to allow a profit to be made against the losses covered. I don't have a problem with that at all. Providing we're left a suitable stadium for the next daft chairmen (with funds) who wants and desire to move us forward (with a stadium that matches his/her desire)

Sorry Paul, but what is it? A bite you want? From the top brass?

Let's get it straight. The club HAS been up for sale, for the last 2 years. No-one has ever come remotely close to what TTA want, for what they've ploughed into the club to keep it running. No, not to keep running, to keep it challenging in the top half of the table. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but for the last four years we have been challenging in the top half of the table. Sure, we've :censored:ed up numerous times at critical points of a season, but we've challenged in the top half every year, if you take out the couple of transient years just after they came in.

Now, one thing: today was a dagger through the heart of a result. A real smash in the teeth to see that 89th minute 0-0 turn into a 0-1 within the blink of a SSN second. Not the first time, but one of many. I, along with just about everyone here walked away cursing and holding my skull in place as bursts of anger threatened to make a claret-like mess of my head all over the floor.

But, time to reflect. Yes, let's demand TTA sell up to anyone that cares to be interested. Bonzer idea that one. Course, after all, they were all queuing up to sink money into us back in 2003 weren't they? Y'know, big expanse of land and a chance to make a bit of a killing. Except since then, to keep us afloat (and y'know, keep us challenging in the top half) one thing after another has stopped them achieving their real goal (which has never really been kept a cloak and dagger secret, has it?). This, naturally was to leave the club in an self-funding environment and walk away with a bit of a profit. What on earth do we have to indicate a new knight riding a white horse is going to trot in for us now? I mean, they've never made a secret of wanting to sell the club for the right money (and of course, people) recently, so why hasn't our potential saviour stepped forward and thrown their hat into the ring?

Because no-one will do, will they?

I'm certainly not saying TTA are beyond questioning, because they ain't. They've made some almighty cock ups in their tenure and anyone can see this. But our horse bolted a long time ago when the council acted like complete wallies and ruined any chance of redevolping BP. Twice.

To throw a gauntlet down to TTA now is playing a pretty dangerous game IMO. They could walk away and put the club up for sale tomorrow which would put our whole future into jeapordy, pushing us into a fight against time to find a buyer before any small amount of cash we have (after the inevitable fire sale of course, which unlike 2003 would be akin to a tombola to win a bottle of cheap perfume) to keep us going runs out. This ain't going to happen though, because what is going to happen is our move to Failsworth. Of course this, depending on whether the club attract a future investor, will mean we'll be playing in a snug, new ground but awaiting a substantial injection of money to enable us to fulfil any potential we have.

I don't think my passion for Latics has ever dipped as low as it has this year. The running of the club is part of that, but the constant radical craving for scapegoats within the club on places like this is as crushingly depressing, if not more of a deciding factor. I'm fed up of Latics at the moment, but I'm even more fed up of fellow fans willing to want to see how far they can push our owners for a reaction.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly