Relegation?

Ok this is from a selfish point of view (mine)...we get relegated....the only fans that will be left are the die hards who love the club like i do. before the matches in the locals. we talk about everything Oldham, all with a positive attitude. I remember days like it in the 70s n 80s...we had nowt, team was mediocre, manager wasnt great, ground was well, just home. but we were all mates. defenders of everything royal blue...if it takes relegation for all tht harmony again....BRING IT ON!!

Ok this is from a selfish point of view (mine)...we get relegated....the only fans that will be left are the die hards who love the club like i do. before the matches in the locals. we talk about everything Oldham, all with a positive attitude. I remember days like it in the 70s n 80s...we had nowt, team was mediocre, manager wasnt great, ground was well, just home. but we were all mates. defenders of everything royal blue...if it takes relegation for all tht harmony again....BRING IT ON!!

never in a million years will relegation benefit this club.. maybe the harmony is still there jacko ...just that your a little older now to see it :grin: :grin: :grin:

There's a belief amongst some that if we get relegated we will be certain to come back up very quickly.

We all know it rarely happens like that though. Look how long we've been in this division. When we were relegated in 97, many of us thought we were too big for League 1 and would bounce back quickly, but it didn't happen.

good point..............but sometimes you have to take a stepback to move forwards

Wasn't that the thought process when we got relegated to this division 13 years ago!!! We thought we would bounce back and rechallenge for the Premier. Now we are staring down the barrell of the relegation gun again!

good point..............but sometimes you have to take a stepback to move forwards

This is what was said when we lost our PL staus.

And again when we came down to this level. Meanwhile thirteen seasons have slipped by and the club deteriorates by the week.

The excuses have been endless. They will stick with the club all the way to the minor leagues and semi-professional football.

Ok this is from a selfish point of view (mine)...we get relegated....the only fans that will be left are the die hards who love the club like i do.

What gives you the idea that it's only the nodding dogs who love the club?

As far as I can see, it's the grinning happy clappers who are dragging the club down with their pathetic 'not for the likes of us' attitudes.

We've got a long long way to go before we even start to think of relegation, lets all remain positive get behind the team and give them the vocal support they need, i agree with Jacko in the respect that a relegation might bring the fans closer together but what is stopping us doing it now, everytime i log in to this forum now every topic is doom and gloom, we are beginning to accept that we are an average league 1 team and nothing more but we should be trying to better ourselves both on and off the pitch, if we constantly moan and if we constantly boo then why do you think the players are putting in dire performances, do you think they want to perform for fans that dont appreciate them. Lets get behind the boys and show that we are positive and maybe we can turn this bad start around.

We've got a long long way to go before we even start to think of relegation, lets all remain positive get behind the team and give them the vocal support they need, i agree with Jacko in the respect that a relegation might bring the fans closer together but what is stopping us doing it now, everytime i log in to this forum now every topic is doom and gloom, we are beginning to accept that we are an average league 1 team and nothing more but we should be trying to better ourselves both on and off the pitch, if we constantly moan and if we constantly boo then why do you think the players are putting in dire performances, do you think they want to perform for fans that dont appreciate them. Lets get behind the boys and show that we are positive and maybe we can turn this bad start around.

Why do you think people won't be moaning when we fail to mount a challenge in the basement division?

Especially when people have to travel to home games at Spotland or Gigg Lane to watch the tripe that will inevitably get served up.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

The key difference between then and now though is forums like this, were keyboard warriors can throw abuse and some of the abuse is now coming through to the matchdays, take the forums away were 100's cant communicate and read most of the drivel and i bet that BP wouldn't be as bad as it currently is.

Why do you think people won't be moaning when we fail to mount a challenge in the basement division?

Especially when people have to travel to watch the home games at Spotland or Gigg Lane to watch the tripe that will inevitably get served up.

Corps, we will not be relegated and i will have a wager with anyone who thinks otherwise. We all seem to have our heads down wheres the Latics fighting spirit

Is this thread based on some belief that we will bounce straight back if we go down?

Relegation in my opinion would be nothing short of a disaster and could be the camel that breaks the straws back for many more supporters. Would lead to even lower gates, even less income hence an even lower budget, as in I imagine our highest paid player would be on no more than 700 a week and we would become the third club to have played at all levels since the start of the premier league (think the other two are swindon and bradford)

Corps, we will not be relegated and i will have a wager with anyone who thinks otherwise. We all seem to have our heads down wheres the Latics fighting spirit

I'm not saying that we necessarily will this time around. But if the club is, as all signs, including the proposed small capacity stadium, seem to suggest, planning a lower division existence, relegation is certain at some point.

Is this thread based on some belief that we will bounce straight back if we go down?

Relegation in my opinion would be nothing short of a disaster and could be the camel that breaks the straws back for many more supporters. Would lead to even lower gates, even less income hence an even lower budget, as in I imagine our highest paid player would be on no more than 700 a week and we would become the third club to have played at all levels since the start of the premier league (think the other two are swindon and bradford)

'This is what watching Latics is all about.' Apparently.

The key difference between then and now though is forums like this, were keyboard warriors can throw abuse and some of the abuse is now coming through to the matchdays, take the forums away were 100's cant communicate and read most of the drivel and i bet that BP wouldn't be as bad as it currently is.

Do you really believe this drivel?

You might as well justify the fact that that support for Stalin was very high in the USSR because hardly anybody knew anything else.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

I don't recall it being much different in the 70s. There were still moaners and groaners, and in quite a few homes, the Latics were affectionately known as 'The clowns'. The internet is a far more powerful medium for voicing your opinion than we ever had back then, so when things aren't going well you'll inevitably come across more moaning than we ever did in the 70s.

Back then of course, people weren't spending the best part of their disposable income on a bunch of under-achievers. You knew what you were going to get, and it was all part of a cheap afternoon out with your mates.

Relegation won't make it any better. There'll just be moaning about the cost of watching 4th division football, and having to travel to failsworth to do it.

Success will unite everyone, as it did in 1990. Bandwagonners and gatecrashers they might have been, but they were getting value for money in the early 90's, and the atmosphere was fantastic. I'd prefer to go in that direction and pick up a few success-chasing strays than lose any more fans.

Anyway, I LIKE being unhappy. That's why I ended up with my missus. :tongue:

Add notts county to the list as well.

Ok this is from a selfish point of view (mine)...we get relegated....the only fans that will be left are the die hards who love the club like i do.

you didn't go to Bristol Rovers then??

a couple of the "die hards" that went down there contradict your theory big time.

One of the reasons I drifted away in '93/4 (apart from ending up working 240 miles away...) was the constant bloody moaning, booing and negative shouting from a significant minority of stupid, ignorant and clueless 'fans'.

All the internet has done is give them (and the rest of us) a different platform.