Potential new centreback

lol

I arrived at a Mursi Village in Ethiopia apparently the day after one of this ceremonies. Glad I missed it! I missed the Himba children teeth knocking out ceremony by a week or so too. I've been lucky!!

I narrowly missed a crucifixion in the Philipines when I was a kid. Although the bloke had asked for it. As in, he really had asked for it.

Has anyone else got a tale of something horrific that they didn't see? :wink:

South Africa a third world country- don't think so.

I personally think millions of people living in shanty towns and slums with rampant HIV problems, appalling crime and engrained racism qualifies somewhere as third world.

If you go from the official figures though;

Most obvious way of measuring this is the "Human Development Index". That measures countries according to life expectancy, literacy, education, and standards of living. According to that South Africa comes in at 121st from the top out of 177. Below Vanuatu and above Tajikistan.

I narrowly missed a crucifixion in the Philipines when I was a kid. Although the bloke had asked for it. As in, he really had asked for it.

I WAS AT THE CRUCIFIXION IN THE PHILIPPINES ON GOOD FRIDAY THIS YEAR!!!!! San Fernando in Pampanga. It was insane. If you don't believe this comment, I have a picture of myself touching the nail as it is in the guys hand.

I WAS AT THE CRUCIFIXION IN THE PHILIPPINES ON GOOD FRIDAY THIS YEAR!!!!! San Fernando in Pampanga. It was insane. If you don't believe this comment, I have a picture of myself touching the nail as it is in the guys hand.

Wonder if that's the place I was almost at. They do like a good nailing up over there mind you, IIRC it was just one bloke at the time, he had murdered an American years before and got them to tack him up every Easter for penance. Incidentally, I just did a quick google on it, and found the world't least educational news story EVER!

Wonder if that's the place I was almost at. They do like a good nailing up over there mind you, IIRC it was just one bloke at the time, he had murdered an American years before and got them to tack him up every Easter for penance. Incidentally, I just did a quick google on it, and found the world't least educational news story EVER!

Not sounding like a know it all here but the guy first volunteered to be crucified as he fell from a building and didn't get injured. He does it as a thanks to God. More and more people have joined him over the years.

There are also hundreds of people flogging themselves (I bought a whip) and this year over 50,000 people turned up to watch. I managed to sneak onto the crucifixion mound and witnessed it from 6 inches away. It is all real.

San Fernando is the only place in the world where they use nails.

I'll happily share my photo's. Some of them are unbelievable.

I personally think millions of people living in shanty towns and slums with rampant HIV problems, appalling crime and engrained racism qualifies somewhere as third world.

If you go from the official figures though;

Most obvious way of measuring this is the "Human Development Index". That measures countries according to life expectancy, literacy, education, and standards of living. According to that South Africa comes in at 121st from the top out of 177. Below Vanuatu and above Tajikistan.

That's no way to describe (insert some random bit of town nearby that is not that pleasant). In all seriousness though- SA is not third world- it may have some of the problems akin to third world countries but it is not third world. Having looked at HDI SA seems to have a ranking towards the bottom end of middle (true third world is in the low category). SA also ranks above Morocco- somewhere I think a few people on here have actually been to and from accounts that isn't third world. The thing about SA is it is quite clearly going down the list (it is worsening whilst other similarly developed countries e.g. India are improving) and in a few decades if it doesn't sort its problems out will be third world. Something that is quite clearly obscene from its position pre-Apartheid.

The other thing is that the most recent report (2008) uses data from 2006 and has Ireland as being the 5th most developed country in the world which now is an absolute joke.

I didn't see the final whistle being blown at Bramhall Lane in a tinpot cup game, as I have to confess I left before the end, with us losing 7-2. Not as epic as what others have missed, but I'm glad to have the opportunity to get it off my chest.

I entirely agree. That's why I've always considered the USA to be a third world country. (Sorry Sara and Amber... :lol: )

I didn't see the final whistle being blown at Bramhall Lane in a tinpot cup game, as I have to confess I left before the end, with us losing 7-2. Not as epic as what others have missed, but I'm glad to have the opportunity to get it off my chest.

i saw us go 2-0 in the same game however

Strong, athletic, quick and has more balls than most:

Is it willie choptov?

caster_2_605239a.jpg

:grin:

Remember it well. Still quite shell shocked even now. Still like most stories there is a silver lining, that being when the Cardiff game came around the fall wasn't so great.

Talking of the Cardiff game that weekend saw the final demise of the massive ITV Digital. To which I am sure you'll all recall the Latics v Cardiff match was the main feature that week. Well guess who did a piece to camera saying that they expected a Latics win as we were the form team? and yes it was aired prior to the match. So what was the silver lining here you may ask. Well the name caption below my ugly mug was that of Sinbad. Sinbad of Oldham fame that is!