Pav or Porter?

I think the two are quite silmilar, and after last nights brilliant result, and Pavs excellent performance, i was thinking who would you rather have.

I know its early days for Pav, but he has been different class on occasions, and although Mr Porter done the dirt on us, he was still very good in his last season.

I am undecided, i tought i would let you lot choose :grin:.

Not to serious, as we all know what happend with the Whitts and Wellens poll!

I think the two are quite silmilar, and after last nights brilliant result, and Pavs excellent performance, i was thinking who would you rather have.

I know its early days for Pav, but he has been different class on occasions, and although Mr Porter done the dirt on us, he was still very good in his last season.

A fit Porter was lethal, he missed his fair share but scored all types of goals. His hold up play was good and was particularly threatening in the air. As for Pav I'd like to see him more central at times but his skill and hold up play has been a shining beacon all season. I would like to see him score a few scruffy ones. What is encourgaing is that after a slow start Pav and KP look like they're forging an understanding. The last real partnership we had was Warne and Porter - before that was the all too brief stint of Beckett and Killen at the back end of 04/05.

ignoring all the :censored: that happened with porter,i think there pretty similar players,i would say pav is more of a team player than porter was,but both know where the goal is....close call really

Parker was compared to Warne on another thread, Parker being alot better than Warne was.

Are front line is very similar to then, maybe even stronger.

A good omen i would hope.

It is, but I hope we have the sense to have decent back-up this time as losing Porter and Wellens at vital times as well as not bringing in reinforcements at the right time cost us auto imo. If Clarke had stayed for the rest of the season I reckon we would have been in a much stronger position. Instead we got Roque and Glombard - average at best. Although Sheff Wed were entitled to take their player back at a time when Warne's goals had dried up and Porter was in and out of the time with his so-called knee injury that flared up after his head had been turned in January.

It is, but I hope we have the sense to have decent back-up this time as losing Porter and Wellens at vital times as well as not bringing in reinforcements at the right time cost us auto imo. If Clarke had stayed for the rest of the season I reckon we would have been in a much stronger position. Instead we got Roque and Glombard - average at best. Although Sheff Wed were entitled to take their player back at a time when Warne's goals had dried up and Porter was in and out of the time with his so-called knee injury that flared up after his head had been turned in January.

I don't think it was a "so-called knee injury"...he was knackered but played loads of times when he shouldn't.

It's too early to say who is better. And if you compare now you run the risk of looking really daft (Whittaker better than Wellens anyone?).

I think its a really interesting question, and a tough call. I prefer Pawel as a player, and no doubt he has a better all round game - however I doubt he will score as many goals as porter did... although Ports missed a hat full, he was always able to score the scruffy ones, and Pawel is struggling to do at the moment... Ports also didnt take penalties, whcih makes his goal total even more impressive...

Sooooo... begrudgingly, I'd say Porter. Though, I much, much prefer watching Pawel in a latics shirt. That could change is Pawel finds the onion bag 15-20 times this season...

As for the partnership... yes, agree it is showing signs of improvement. Tell you what, If the little scottish prat finds the form of that season with the lashers it will be a great partnership. Imagine Porter and Parker together in that season... now that would ahve been impressive...

I don't think it was a "so-called knee injury"...he was knackered but played loads of times when he shouldn't.

It's too early to say who is better. And if you compare now you run the risk of looking really daft (Whittaker better than Wellens anyone?).

Not sure if Pav will get anywhere near Porter's tally of 23, but the last couple of seasons apart KP averages double figures - the key is a tight defence and the midfield and wings chipping in. Colchester did it with a small squad and a lot of narrow wins - whether we can emulate that remains to be seen. TBH i'm just enjoying seeing us move up the league after seeing us drop down it since the turn of last year. What will be, will be all I want to see is effort and desire similar to last night.

I'd prefer Pav with Porter's goal ratio.

He bagged the most anyone has in a season for us in 20 odd years?

Seems as though Pav holds it up better than Porter ever did, but Porter was much better in and around the area nicking in scoring toepokes etc, not really seen Pav do that much, most of his chances have come from being played in 1 on 1 ....

Pav's a great hold up player and can move on the ball, and links up well with players around him, Porter doesn't come close in this regard. Is he as good a goal scorer at Porter? I'm not sure. Take into account though Liddell and Wellens pretty much carved chances out left, right and centre for Porter. He benefited a lot from having their assists and play making ability. But he did well to put the chances away and was a very good aerial threat.

I hope Pav can become a goalscoring superstar hero and I think he does have the ability to, but he hasn't really had the service yet this season, especially from out wide. When Taylor is fully fit and we have someone on the opposite wing playing more consistently I think we'll see better service for Pav and then it's up to him to finish.

But if I'm gonna choose I'd say Porter. Younger, has proven to be more prolific, pretty much where ever he's gone he's got a good goals to games ratio, but he's just as injury prone as Abbott.

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

Pav, Porter was :censored:. Luckiest striker I've ever seen.

I wouldn't disagree with that. If I was 6'3 and had as many balls into the box and outright chances to score, I'm pretty sure I would have bagged over 20 goals. Porter was okay, but certainly not as skilfull (or as lethal) as Abbott has looked. Porter was a penalty box man, with an average ability to hold the ball up.

This is Whitaker and Wellens all over again.

Haha...was literally about to put that...word for word!!!

I'll reserve judgement...

PS Although I did make the comment last night that to lose Pav to injury could leave us like we did when we lost Clyde under Dowie. Without Pav, I think we'd sorely struggle to function upfront.

Edited by boundaryblue80