Dear Father Christmas

I remember getting all my subutteo stuff from the toyshop that was in the row of shops by the Greaves...used to love it in there.

I was a big lego fan, especially all the castles stuff and the tech stuff - dad used to spend hours on christmas day/boxing day (apart from the match) helping assemble various structures.

Also remember playing 'Guess Who?' and knowing my sister was cheating...does he have a beard...is his name herman.

MASK - the mighty powers that can save the day.

Star Wars - still got my original Millenium Falcon from 1980-ish and the figures

I'll throw Dogtanian into the mix!

Subbuteo! Now you're talking! "The young people of today have no idea blah blah blah..." :grin:

We used to have tournaments and everything. Mind you, those floodlights I bought were a waste of time... :disappointed:

My mate got "Striker" and thought he was the dogs ... but I think subbuteo outlived that

http://www.peter-upton.co.uk/striker.htm

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ToyMaster (they went bump but one remains in Bury)

Remember Toy and Hobby - loved that place (now TJ Hughes)

Ah Subbuteo, many an hour on a Sunday morning was spent with Latics destroying top-flight opposition. Me and my dad would play for hours, he was such a bad loser - any player of mine who had the audacity to score past big Nev (Latics v his second team Everton) would be promptly flicked with real venom across the lounge! I also remember the regular feline pitch invasions that would cause an early abandonment...

Bought my boy a set a few years back - he's hardly touched it - bloody Play Stations!

Always wanted one of them, by Tomy wasn't it? But subbuteo was the daddy!

The funny thing was i was in Skipton a few years ago and i went into a toyshop to look for something for the kids and there it was on the shelf!

£10, unfortunately my love for the game had dissapeared and after a few brutal hours of thumb twiddling with my fellow super cup friend we decided to bury the game and never speak its name again!

Well i have blown it!

Ah Subbuteo, many an hour on a Sunday morning was spent with Latics destroying top-flight opposition. Me and my dad would play for hours, he was such a bad loser - any player of mine who had the audacity to score past big Nev (Latics v his second team Everton) would be promptly flicked with real venom across the lounge! I also remember the regular feline pitch invasions that would cause an early abandonment...

Bought my boy a set a few years back - he's hardly touched it - bloody Play Stations!

There was also the arguments over the 'legal' flick...not too mention the creases in the pitch - my word!

Beardy, must confess that me and my mate used to do the same thing for home and away matches.

I still remember the excitement of finally finding the oldham subbbuteo team in Toymaster in Oldham...and getting the stick on numbers to make sure 4 + 10 were in centre mids and 8 + 9 were up front.

...in fact I'm over at my parents house next weekend, might well be returning home with the old subbuteo set now!!!

There was also the arguments over the 'legal' flick...not too mention the creases in the pitch - my word!

Beardy, must confess that me and my mate used to do the same thing for home and away matches.

I still remember the excitement of finally finding the oldham subbbuteo team in Toymaster in Oldham...and getting the stick on numbers to make sure 4 + 10 were in centre mids and 8 + 9 were up front.

...in fact I'm over at my parents house next weekend, might well be returning home with the old subbuteo set now!!!

Creases in the pitch - you don't get that on Xbox, eh? :lol:

Same here for "Home and Away" matches! One of my mates pinned his pitch to a piece of hardboard instead of playing on the carpet... Me and the others weren't happy about it! It was a definite abuse of home advantage...

Creases in the pitch - you don't get that on Xbox, eh? :lol:

Same here for "Home and Away" matches! One of my mates pinned his pitch to a piece of hardboard instead of playing on the carpet... Me and the others weren't happy about it! It was a definite abuse of home advantage...

Did that with mine, ironed it first then glued and tacked it down! As good an advantage as Plastic Paradise was back in the day!

Did that with mine, ironed it first then glued and tacked it down! As good an advantage as Plastic Paradise was back in the day!

Sorry mate that sacrilege!

Did you sing "We can play on carpet as well" at 'away' matches?!? :lol:

Sorry mate that sacrilege!

Did you sing "We can play on carpet as well" at 'away' matches?!? :lol:

I was awesome! I could even play on sculptured plush pile!

Kids these days - if they could be arsed playing Subbuteo, the penchant for laminate flooring ensures they'd have a great surface to play on, don't know they're born blah, blah, blah

I was awesome! I could even play on sculptured plush pile!

Kids these days - if they could be arsed playing Subbuteo, the penchant for laminate flooring ensures they'd have a great surface to play on, don't know they're born blah, blah, blah

it was the creases though wasnt it, and it hurt like hell when you stood on a player didnt it :grin:

The best prezzie ever was a Spectrum 48k with the games Soccer boss and paperboy, i remember waiting 10 minutes for it to load and the screeching was earpiercing but it was worth the wait.

For some reason that reminded me of the "Space Invader" game that me and Mr. Andyb100 off here bought. It was handheld and basically it was red LCD "dash" firing "dots" at other LCD "dots" (the space invaders)! I think there may have been a dash (spaceship) going across the top occasionally too. If you "clocked the score" > 99, the score went weird! Classic piece of crap. Anyone else remember it? Probably came out 1980/81?

The best prezzie ever was a Spectrum 48k with the games Soccer boss and paperboy, i remember waiting 10 minutes for it to load and the screeching was earpiercing but it was worth the wait.

Me and Mr Anchor got one of the first lot of them as guilt payment for our dad working abroad. First game was a 747 flight simulator IIRC, which shows that the wannabe fighter pilot must have pipped me to the post in the parent annoying stakes. It's an enduring childhood memory holding a finger-cutting worn through wire down to the connection to the tape player to get the bastard programs to load whilst suffering 3 minutes of horrid screeching.

Many of you who know my dad, probably know he is a simple bloke, and when he brought home a Commodore 16 i was in awe at such an amazing bit of equip!

Setting the tape up on the floor in the front room, making sure i moved the remote for the VHS (on a wire mind!) so they didnt get muddled!

And finally after 45 mins i could play Punch and Judy!

And as a side note i still have my Atari 2600!