Vulcan Bomber

Last Sunday I was stuck on a plane on the tarmac at Manchester airport, during a catalogue of problems which led to an 8 hour delay. One of the problems was that a Vulcan Bomber was about to do a fly-over of the runway for some unknown reason.

As it appeared in the distance, banking sharply, I suddenly recalled the last time I had seen it at an airshow some years ago, and how it mersmerised all those that watched it. Once again, it had the same effect.

Everybody in the airport must have been in awe of this iconic war machine, and for a good hour of our delay our problems were forgotten as we discussed the amazing spectacle that we had just witnessed, and explained the significance of these huge beasts to the kids on our aircraft.

Government funds (I believe it would be £1m per year), should be found to ensure our children get the opportunity to see this and other examples of our aviation history such as Concorde in the air, where they still have the ability to educate and wow our predecessors.

I had a Chinook nearly take my head off up in Saddleworth last Monday, it was that low.

No idea what it was about but others must have seen/heard it?

a chinook flew over Watersheddings a couple of weeks ago

same here, no idea why it would be flying over here but it did come from the direction of Saddleworth

maybe they are doing an exercise on the moors or something?

I had a Chinook nearly take my head off up in Saddleworth last Monday, it was that low.

No idea what it was about but others must have seen/heard it?

I had two of these roar overhead on Sept 11 2001 whilst I was in Pendle, I reckon they might have been going to that US base near Harrogate. Scared the bloody life out of me.

same here, no idea why it would be flying over here but it did come from the direction of Saddleworth

quite a number of crewmen (front & back) who work on chinnys are from the area so they may have been doing a training sortie and popping in to see their mum too!!

the vulcan was on its way to southport airshow ... i myself used to see it from time to time when i was in the RAF .. not seen it in ages but i'll remedy that soon

quite a number of crewmen (front & back) who work on chinnys are from the area so they may have been doing a training sortie and popping in to see their mum too!!

the vulcan was on its way to southport airshow ... i myself used to see it from time to time when i was in the RAF .. not seen it in ages but i'll remedy that soon

Which show are you planning on going to? Haven't they all finished for this year?

Not to worry, once the cuts have taken place we'll only have one service front anyway, the Cannonfodderers*.

*And one submarine with nuclear technology.

Don't forget the shiny new aircraft carrier, equiped with Swordfish bi-planes for the first 12 years of service until the proper planes are delivered. It shows ambition nevertheless.

Which show are you planning on going to? Haven't they all finished for this year?

it'll still be around next year!!!

I thought that was the Navy?

i was generalising ... some people may not understand what a 'loadmaster' is, and they aren't really called that now .. they are WSOP's .. which can confuse more even more!!! lol

One flew over Royton a couple of months back. It headed for Claytons as if it was going to land but did a turn and came back over the town again.