Not gone done that much since 2005. Possibly for the corp ?

2005/2006 - 5796

2006/2007 - 6576 - Appointment of Shez worked ?

2007/2008 - 5325 - Maybe not.

2008/2009 - 5636 - Were moaning about avergae attendance but its gone up ?

2009/2010 - 4544 - Economic downturn to blame ?

Looking at the stats you decide.

Discuss :)

2005/2006 - 5796

I think the main reason for the downfall in attendances is the credit crunch, followed by being stuck in the 3rd tier of footie for so long, and players not giving a toss about the club!

Edited by laticsmad

I think the main reason for the downfall in attendances is the credit crunch, followed by being stuck in the 3rd tier of footie for so long, and players not giving a toss about the club!

Yeah i personally know people who used to go but stopped saying '' i'm not paying £20 to watch poor football by players who don't seem to care enough ''

They also say the club has been stagnent for years and shows no sign of pushing on.

Are you serious, have you been to the last four games. Great commitment from the lads & also great team spirit between them aswell!

Are you serious, have you been to the last four games. Great commitment from the lads & also great team spirit between them aswell!

Credit crunch is the simple answer for me, a freeze on pay increases but an increase in bills and general cost of living has put £20 on a football game into perspective... really is a lot of money for our level.

I didn't go so can't comment. what I mean is players move on more quickly and loan signing seem to ever more the norm for us. although DP does seem to be putting a stop to this.

If you want to know if it's prevailing economic circumstances then compare it to attendances across the bottom three divisions as a whole. Don't underestimate the fixture list though - if we had just had Leeds already instead of BFS then it would be around 5000 for example at this point.

I agree they look committed this season , but I think he was referring to last year when we was dropping our own players for :censored:e un commited/unfit loan players

If you want to know if it's prevailing economic circumstances then compare it to attendances across the bottom three divisions as a whole. Don't underestimate the fixture list though - if we had just had Leeds already instead of BFS then it would be around 5000 for example at this point.

Comparing the bottom 3 divisions, this is where the late Tony Kempster would be able to provid e and answer in an instant.

Shame no one could keep his site running.

For 2008/9 though, which goes through to the peak.

But saying that many season tickets would have been bought before the Credit crunch kicked in, so inconclusive.

The biggest increase is the Champsioship

Cardiff up, Doncaster and Forst all saw big increases, but there were big drops too.

Division Avge 07/08 +/-%

Champ 17,892 17,023 5.1%

Div 1 7,559 7,997 -5.5%

Div 2 4,166 4,344 -4.1%

Edited by singe

2005/2006 - 5796

There are loads of contributing factors for the general drop in attendances.

1. General apathy with football.

2. 15 years of stagnation & failure on the pitch.

3. Boredom with this division.

4. Credit Crunch

5. Constant changing of team and manager.

6. Lack of Northern teams this year.

7. Poor facilities.

8. Poor match atmosphere.

9. Live premiership football.

The list is endless, however in my view the 4 highlited are the most relevant.

Not a lot you can do about the credit crunch and it was bound to have some effect but most of the other factors can be changed with a successful team.

We have TTA to thank for still having a club to support, but they have totally failed to deliver in the most important area.......... progress on the pitch.

You can offer freebies and cut price tickets and offer all sorts of promotions, but the bottom line is simple and true...........The only way to get bums on seats is to play the right way, entertain, and stay in the promotion positions and then everything else should look after itself.

Easier said than done!!!!

Guest sheridans_world

Your figures will be skewed if you included the small LDV Vans trophy attendance, plus we havent had a big third round FA cup tie yet this year. Not to mention the fact that we have only played one local team and none of the "big" teams.

Last season we had Leeds, Huddersfield, Stockport, Leicester and Tranmere with fairly large gates. This season we have only played Stockport. We still have Leeds, Charlton, Norwich, Huddersfield and Southampton to play. All of which are going to bring in gates of over 6500.

You dont have enough sample data to give a reliable average attendance figure for this season yet.

Your figures will be skewed if you included the small LDV Vans trophy attendance, plus we havent had a big third round FA cup tie yet this year. Not to mention the fact that we have only played one local team and none of the "big" teams.

Last season we had Leeds, Huddersfield, Stockport, Leicester and Tranmere with fairly large gates. This season we have only played Stockport. We still have Leeds, Charlton, Norwich, Huddersfield and Southampton to play. All of which are going to bring in gates of over 6500.

You dont have enough sample data to give a reliable average attendance figure for this season yet.

The ave att figures given in the paper or on websites do not include any cup games just the league... Once we have played Hudds, Leeds and Tranmere on boxing day i would imaging the avergae will jump by a few hundred

theres an article on the OS about attendances, hudds dont say there official on match day in which we do...
I went to the recent Huddersfield v Stockport game and was baffled by the reporting of two different attendance figures.

Somewhere around 14,500 in some papers and 12,020 in others.

Suggests to me that it's trendy to have a season ticket for the Galpharm but you must never be seen dead there!

Comparing the bottom 3 divisions, this is where the late Tony Kempster would be able to provid e and answer in an instant.

Shame no one could keep his site running.

For 2008/9 though, which goes through to the peak.

But saying that many season tickets would have been bought before the Credit crunch kicked in, so inconclusive.

The biggest increase is the Champsioship

Cardiff up, Doncaster and Forst all saw big increases, but there were big drops too.

Division Avge 07/08 +/-%

Champ 17,892 17,023 5.1%

Div 1 7,559 7,997 -5.5%

Div 2 4,166 4,344 -4.1%

I would aggregate the three divisions to take the edge off the results of bigger clubs going up or down, but then I don't get out much :wink:

I would definatley say that live tv is killing attendances. In stoke centre there's pubs which show ALL stoke games no matter what time they kick off. With the credit crunch hitting home for many people its cheaper to go and watch a game in a pub and have a few pints than go to the match !!!

I've always admired Barry Owen for investing his own personal time into representing the fans on the board but he's either clueless, being sarcastic or no longer understands the fans. I quote (from the Chronicle) -

“I would like them to have their say and give us some ideas as what would tempt them back? Tell us what we are not doing which would make them return?”

I hate to point our the bleeding obvious but the underlying reason has been staring us in the face for the last number of years since Dowie was at the helm.... "product on the pitch".

Fans don't give a flying feck about the stadium if the truth be known. We totally understand that it's the cornerstone of our club's future and we will most probably not exist if it doesn't happen. However, what motivates a fan is the short term and that's success on the pitch leading to promotion.

1. How many years have we now been in this league?

2. How many seasons have we been promised so much but continually let down?

3. How many seasons have we had a glimmer of hope but had it taken away (exhibit A - Lee Hughes being allowed to leave on loan last season when a Play-Off place was still very much in our grasp but we gave up with 10+ games to go!)

4. Debt has been kept under control but it's been boom then bust each season when coinciding with a new managerial appointment by allowing them to waste wages and budget on rubbish players that 99% of us doubted when they came through the door. Penney this season has bucked that trend by being rewarded with pittance to make a difference - that's hammered another nail in the coffin for those fans who may have thought "what if" ahead of this season then voted with their feet when the side was "strengthened"

Mr Owen - you cannot blame the fans, even those regarded as diehard (me included who now doesn't own a season ticket but chooses their games), how have become apathetic after so many years of promise. Frankly we're bored of Groundhog Day every other season.

Support Penney in strengthening the team - we're on the fringes of Play-Off positions and on a role with three wins and a draw - get us promotion and then see the fans return. In this climate fans are choosing but they need a reason to return and "because it's my club" doesn't have that same appeal anymore I'm afraid!

I've always admired Barry Owen for investing his own personal time into representing the fans on the board but he's either clueless, being sarcastic or no longer understands the fans. I quote (from the Chronicle) -

“I would like them to have their say and give us some ideas as what would tempt them back? Tell us what we are not doing which would make them return?”

I hate to point our the bleeding obvious but the underlying reason has been staring us in the face for the last number of years since Dowie was at the helm.... "product on the pitch".

Fans don't give a flying feck about the stadium if the truth be known. We totally understand that it's the cornerstone of our club's future and we will most probably not exist if it doesn't happen. However, what motivates a fan is the short term and that's success on the pitch leading to promotion.

3. How many seasons have we had a glimmer of hope but had it taken away (exhibit A - Lee Hughes being allowed to leave on loan last season when a Play-Off place was still very much in our grasp but we gave up with 10+ games to go!)

4. Debt has been kept under control but it's been boom then bust each season when coinciding with a new managerial appointment by allowing them to waste wages and budget on rubbish players that 99% of us doubted when they came through the door. Penney this season has bucked that trend by being rewarded with pittance to make a difference - that's hammered another nail in the coffin for those fans who may have thought "what if" ahead of this season then voted with their feet when the side was "strengthened"

Mr Owen - you cannot blame the fans, even those regarded as diehard (me included who now doesn't own a season ticket but chooses their games), how have become apathetic after so many years of promise. Frankly we're bored of Groundhog Day every other season.

Support Penney in strengthening the team - we're on the fringes of Play-Off positions and on a role with three wins and a draw - get us promotion and then see the fans return. In this climate fans are choosing but they need a reason to return and "because it's my club" doesn't have that same appeal anymore I'm afraid!

I think you've hit the nail on the head here, fans are sick of no progress being made and feel we are just stagnating in this division.

We've another big test to come yet regarding the very controversial ground relocation which has split opinion down the middle. We have to hope that any new support acquired when we move is not negated by others unwilling to attend at failsworth.

I for one am strongly opposed to the move to failsworth but will still attend albeit grudgingly and i consider myself one of the die-hards!

Before anyone says we have to move...i know this, but to failsworth?? bad move imo. :angry:

And there you have it....

:locker: