trouble at Failsworth council meeting !

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another Failsworthian here, and I knew nothing about the meeting either. I reckon there could be a deceptively large amount of us here. I generally thought there was about three, but maybe there are about six of us!

We need to make our voice heard, just how many ppl on here are from FW?

Jetman is it an oversight on your part or are you being mischievous? :naughty:

I see you claim to be from manchester!!

Another Failsworthian here, and I knew nothing about the meeting either. I reckon there could be a deceptively large amount of us here. I generally thought there was about three, but maybe there are about six of us!

We need to make our voice heard, just how many ppl on here are from FW?

Hmm, somebody suggested I made up the term "failsworthian". I'm not sure about being from manchester though! :angry:

Hmm, somebody suggested I made up the term "failsworthian". I'm not sure about being from manchester though! :angry:

I believe one should never mniss an opportunity to correct the urban myth about Failsworth being in Manc.

Following the Local Government Act 1894, the area of the local board became the Failsworth Urban District, a local government district within the administrative county of Lancashire. In 1954, parts of the Limehurst Rural District were added to Failsworth Urban District. Under the Local Government Act 1972, the Failsworth Urban District was abolished, and Failsworth has, since 1 April 1974, formed an unparished area of the Metropolitan Borough of Oldham.

I believe one should never mniss an opportunity to correct the urban myth about Failsworth being in Manc.

Following the Local Government Act 1894, the area of the local board became the Failsworth Urban District, a local government district within the administrative county of Lancashire. In 1954, parts of the Limehurst Rural District were added to Failsworth Urban District. Under the Local Government Act 1972, the Failsworth Urban District was abolished, and Failsworth has, since 1 April 1974, formed an unparished area of the Metropolitan Borough of Oldham.

Whether or not it's officially in Oldham, I'd wager that the majority of Failsworthians, particularly those around the proposed site, consider themselves Mancunian.

With instances like this you can spiel off all the local government council :censored:e you want to - it's all bollocks, the fact of the matter is, and as Zorrro has stated previously - the people are from Manchester, not Oldham. We are going to see some anomalies regarding Oldham fans who live in Failsworth, who will all claim to be part of Oldham - and rightly so. But there's no getting away from the fact that it's socially part of Manchester. Even business addresses from the area state they are from Manchester.

k0r4og.jpg

The influences are there to see...

You'll be telling me next Diego that Middleton people are Rochdalians....

With instances like this you can spiel off all the local government council :censored:e you want to - it's all bollocks, the fact of the matter is, and as Zorrro has stated previously - the people are from Manchester, not Oldham. We are going to see some anomalies regarding Oldham fans who live in Failsworth, who will all claim to be part of Oldham - and rightly so. But there's no getting away from the fact that it's socially part of Manchester. Even business addresses from the area state they are from Manchester.

The simplest way of putting it is to say that the club will still be based within the boundaries of the borough, but in an area in which few people identify with the town of Oldham, let alone support its football club.

And that's because, as you say, a majority of people have Mancunian origins.

:laught16: but SURELY that will cost money!!!

they they can't be arsed with a proper marketing dept at the club, what are the chances of a PR company??

At the end of the day its not just the revenue thats suffering though, its the image of the club!!!!

If they employed someone to handle the marketing and paid him say 25k a year. If he makes the club an extra 70k a year through increasing sponsorship etc thats 45k extra that the club didn't have, and potentially a much better image

k0r4og.jpg

The influences are there to see...

You'll be telling me next Diego that Middleton people are Rochdalians....

I don’t think you can discount what Diego says Rummy. If anything, the two arguments show that Failsworth is actually heavily influenced by both Oldham and Manchester and yes the people on the points closest to Oldham are not as likely to to affiliate themselves as heavily with Manchester as the ones on the Manchester Border. Then again you could say the same about Chadderton.

One woman said: “Instead of regeneration, this is going to be the degeneration of Failsworth.”

jesus 'kin wept... :o

Yeah I did not really understand that one... While I can understand fears about traffic and fan trouble (although I do no agree) I can not understand how they would fear such a development from the view point of "degeneration". Simply does not add up that one...

Yeah I did not really understand that one... While I can understand fears about traffic and fan trouble (although I do no agree) I can not understand how they would fear such a development from the view point of "degeneration". Simply does not add up that one...

thick as pig :censored:e springs to mind....the troll making the comment, not you squire.. B)

failsworthonians are the yokels of oldham. they consider themselves to be mancunian just because they have M on their postcodes.

Hmm, there's a lot of nonsense on this thread.

e.g Failsworth businesses see themselves as mancunian because the use that on their address. Erm, that's the correct postal address. I don't know of many businesses that use a different business adress from the correct one?

Someone suggested that people who live in failsworth may be divided into the ex-oldham and ex-manc, which may be true, but who knows how the split runs, or even whether that many see it as being that simple? Some people who live in failsworth have even come from further afield - maybe such far flung places as bury, rochdale or stockport! Or even from other places in the UK! Or even Outside it!!

What's really odd though is this obsession with stopping the clock of history - you are what you are and it can't be changed. For goodness sake we live in an age where people travel regularly all over the world, see people from many cultures and faiths, and yet we are arguing over a 1.5 mile trip over the border from chadderton into failsworth, both being in the borough of oldham since 1974.

Will anybody really care about such a move in 5/10/15/20 years?

I wonder whether the people who live in hollins, hollinwood, limeside & south-west chadd feel greater affiliation to failsworth than to royton, shaw and moorside. I'd wager they do, a lot of people from hollins are able to fully interact with the mancs with no problems. I recall as a child in shaw that many didn't even like to be though of as part of oldham.

Oh, and just a little note - doesn't most of Oldham have MANC phone numbers? Oh dear, best sharpen the pitchforks and burn them tharr telephone directories!

How would people feel about moving to Saddleworth?

A nice transport issue cop out .. I see where your coming from Senor ... they are Yorkshire now are they not ..... or bloody well pretend to be. Never mind the Nimbys .... How bad would it be to sing Im a b*stard song at Leeds, Hudds .... How we would have fun poked at us.... :grin:

Hmm, there's a lot of nonsense on this thread.

e.g Failsworth businesses see themselves as mancunian because the use that on their address. Erm, that's the correct postal address. I don't know of many businesses that use a different business adress from the correct one?

I didn't say it was wrong, all I said was that business addresses state they are from (or in) Manchester.

*sigh*

For instance - Failsworth, Manchester, M35 0QB - they do not declare their address as Failsworth, Oldham, M35 0QB. You won't find many that do, if any. It's a social thing with the area, they have more affinity with Manchester than they do with Oldham. But they are in the Oldham Borough, go figure...

You ask any Middleton dweller if they come from Rochdale. They'll ask you to blow it out of your arse, and rightly so - but they do of course politically come from the Rochdale Borough, similar to Diego's boundary model above and the Failsworth conundrum that has so any stumped.

Middy lads are Mancs - socially.

So we have the Oldham football club and a couple of thousand heartlands fans (the majority) dragging their sorry arses to the other side of the Borough, to a Mancunian town (like it or not - that's what it is) in the hope that we're going to tap into the local "new" fanbase to bolster the waining support. It's going to take a great deal of marketing to sell that one to a load of Mancs.

I'm sure you'll agree, there's a problem there.

Look, it's a given that we need a new ground and the only viable piece of land is in Failsworth - I understand all of that. But it is at this stage where the "facts" get a bit cloudy or vague. They need to get people in to the Failsworth Stadium, how they do that in a part of the Borough that has an affinity with Manchester, is a big ask under the existing marketing set-up.

We can only hope that we get bought by somebody with shed loads of cash, but @ 12,000 we're in for the long haul in these lower divisions. We're not attractive enough...

Someone suggested that people who live in failsworth may be divided into the ex-oldham and ex-manc, which may be true, but who knows how the split runs, or even whether that many see it as being that simple? Some people who live in failsworth have even come from further afield - maybe such far flung places as bury, rochdale or stockport! Or even from other places in the UK! Or even Outside it!!

What's really odd though is this obsession with stopping the clock of history - you are what you are and it can't be changed. For goodness sake we live in an age where people travel regularly all over the world, see people from many cultures and faiths, and yet we are arguing over a 1.5 mile trip over the border from chadderton into failsworth, both being in the borough of oldham since 1974.

Will anybody really care about such a move in 5/10/15/20 years?

I know for a fact that there are both ex-Oldham and ex-Manchester people in Failsworth. The area, being thought of as relatively rural at the time, was a magnet for both sets of people during the decades of growing affluence during the 1960s and '70s. You only have to listen to the accents, however, to realise that the ex-Mancunians seem to be in the majority by far.

The issue isn't primarily about how people see themselves or whether they want to travel to a particular area. It's about which football clubs the vast majority of Failsworth people have an affinity with. Here's a clue: it isn't Latics.