trouble at Failsworth council meeting !

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Residents’ fury over Latics stadium plan

Date published: 14/10/2009

A RALLYING cry for urgent action over the new Latics stadium plans was made by Failsworth residents who demanded a meeting with council chiefs and Oldham Athletic directors.

About 80 people packed into Mather Street School yesterday during the Failsworth Ward PACT (Partners and Communities Together) meeting to oppose the football club’s plans for a £20 million, 12,000 seater stadium with community sports facilities on a 30-acre site off Broadway.

Residents unanimously agreed to sign a petition demanding an urgent meeting with council leader Howard Sykes and chief executive Charlie Parker for them to explain their support for the new stadium bid and why they had refused ward councillors’ pleas for an earlier meeting.

A second petition rejecting the stadium proposal, as well as its support from elected and unelected council officials, was also passed around and signed.

The heated discussion, which replaced the night’s original agenda, happened after Failsworth residents leafleted homes urging people to raise concerns on the night.

Warren Bates, from Failsworth, asked why a meeting between residents, council officials and Oldham Athletic directors had not been arranged, as proposed at the last Failsworth PACT meeting in August.

Councillor Jim McMahon said Latics and Oldham Council had failed to convene a meeting in Failsworth and he was still waiting to hear back from Mr Parker about a meeting for local residents to air concerns.

He also said there was clear evidence that the land at Lower Memorial Park had been paid for by public subscription and purchased by Failsworth Urban District Council.

Councillor McMahon said: “Before you get Oldham Council to do anything you have to get them to accept the Memorial Park is a significant part of Failsworth history.

“Until the council acknowledge the status of the site, you really can’t have a debate on what grounds we can fight on.”

However, Pete Batty, from Broadway, said: “We can’t wait until we’ve got all the information because by that time the move will be passed. Let’s move now, it’s an urgent thing.”

Residents from Failsworth, Broadway, New Moston and Newton Heath raised concerns about the stadium plans including traffic and parking problems, houses being devalued, and fan trouble.

One woman said: “Instead of regeneration, this is going to be the degeneration of Failsworth.”

Residents also asked why no one from Oldham Council could be brought to a meeting and said they felt the council was not properly listening to them.

Councillor Peter Dean said ward councillors needed as much information as possible from local residents to fight what proposals came forward.

A leaflet and questionnaire about the issue, funded by Labour Party members, will now be sent out to 10,000 homes across Failsworth.

Tell you what I live in Failsworth and I can't see in any way how the Stadium won't be a good thing for the area!

For years local residents have moaned about being ignored and a town that never gets anything and now the biggest regeneration project for years across Oldham can happen in their area and they moan....

Failsworth is full of moaners and i've attended many council meetings in this area due to work and I tell you you leave them feeling like you've had the life sucked out of you by a few people (one is named in the article and lives to moan)

Alot of sad lonley people around here that do nothing but moan at everything......its a shame!

Tell you what I live in Failsworth and I can't see in any way how the Stadium won't be a good thing for the area!

For years local residents have moaned about being ignored and a town that never gets anything and now the biggest regeneration project for years across Oldham can happen in their area and they moan....

Failsworth is full of moaners and i've attended many council meetings in this area due to work and I tell you you leave them feeling like you've had the life sucked out of you by a few people (one is named in the article and lives to moan)

Alot of sad lonley people around here that do nothing but moan at everything......its a shame!

Do you consider yourself to be one of the silent majority?

Wouldn't say silent i'd gladly speak up for the plans in the public setting but I new nothing about the meeting and I could through a stone at the school where the meeting was. So not sure how they got word around cause I certainly didn't get detalis/ a flier through the door!

I live in Failsworth. I too knew nothing about the meeting. Perhaps the objectors are only leafleting the people who they think may support them. Wouldn't surprise me.

I support the new stadium, and think it will bring much needed work to the area, and will be the springboard for more regeneration.

Once again, the minority NIMBYs are determined to scupper progress.

.... I new nothing about the meeting and I could through a stone at the school where the meeting was. So not sure how they got word around cause I certainly didn't get detalis/ a flier through the door!

The rarely wrong Chron said the heated discussion replaced the night’s original agenda. Hardly constitutional to produce an agenda and then allow the meeting to be hijacked by residents with their own agenda. Sounds like mob rule to me!

Wouldn't say silent i'd gladly speak up for the plans in the public setting

I live in Failsworth. I too knew nothing about the meeting. Perhaps the objectors are only leafleting the people who they think may support them. Wouldn't surprise me.

I support the new stadium, and think it will bring much needed work to the area, and will be the springboard for more regeneration.

Once again, the minority NIMBYs are determined to scupper progress.

Only live 3 doors from the school and i too never heard anything about a meeting.

Any chance of you, and others like you, writing to the Chron, or better still the Council and your local Councillors in particular, to voice your support for the principle behind the regeneration proposal?

Any chance of you, and others like you, writing to the Chron, or better still the Council and your local Councillors in particular, to voice your support for the principle behind the regeneration proposal?

Another Failsworthian here, and I knew nothing about the meeting either. I reckon there could be a deceptively large amount of us here. I generally thought there was about three, but maybe there are about six of us!

We need to make our voice heard, just how many ppl on here are from FW?

sounds like good qualifications to be latics fans. Perhaps gates will increase after all!

Another Failsworthian here, and I knew nothing about the meeting either. I reckon there could be a deceptively large amount of us here. I generally thought there was about three, but maybe there are about six of us!

I Live in failsworth , didnt know anything about a meeting either.

It is so obvious that the football club need to employ a PR professional to manage the expectations of fans, councillors and, quite rightly, local residents.

While this may cost a few quid in the sort term, it should help them to win hearts and minds of all concerned which should enable the development to go ahead.

As things stand there is a massive risk of the plans going tits up / in to a public enquiry / delayed for further consultation / somebody finding a protected weed or inch long amphibian on the land which will add to the feeling of stagnation that supporters have.

For the record, I would prefer the Club to remain at Boundary Park and develop there. If that genuinely isn't a financially viable option then I am really struggling to identify a better location for a football ground within the borough.

If Failsworth doesn't go ahead then I don't think the Football club will survive.

Edited by opinions4u

It is so obvious that the football club need to employ a PR professional to manage the expectations of fans, councillors and, quite rightly, local residents.

:laught16: but SURELY that will cost money!!!

they they can't be arsed with a proper marketing dept at the club, what are the chances of a PR company??

Jetman, according to a poll I conducted there are a few Failsworthonites (!)

Where do you live.

Time to stand up and be counted!

While this may cost a few quid in the sort term, it should help them to win hearts and minds of all concerned which should enable the development to go ahead.

I have been the king of cynics over the years, but I will be amazed if the Council's PR man is not preparing to launch a joint Club/Council charm exercise/offensive when the plans have been prepared. It's too soon at the moment.