Dean Brill

The fans and defence have no confidence in him.

The fans have no confidence in him, that's fecking obvious. But you can't talk for the defence.

I can't see us doing anything about the position before January - if possible maybe we should bring someone in then.

Fleming is no better than Brill, so bringing him back is pointless ... besides which I fully expect him to stay north now.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I've seen of Brill I'd say he's an average League One 'keeper, he makes some mistakes, some decent saves. But goals conceded have not been the biggest problem and that imo isn't down to the rest of the defence covering for Brill as it doesn't seem to me to be the most comfortable defence we've had.

The bigger problem is the lack of goals scored. We're joint 5th in the league in goals conceded and 23rd in goals scored. It's nice to see the midfield chipping in with goals but that's not their main function and I believe that the midfield over the season so far have been solid enough defensively that I'm not concerned about their roles. Abbott's contribution of goals and link up play have been widely praised and for the link up player that he is, he has definitely chipped in with a good number of goals for the role he plays. For me the serious problem is the quality and quantity of strikers in our squad who play on the last man. Looking at the strikers we have:

Link up players: Abbott, Blackman, O'Grady, Alessandra. Obviously the last two are on loan and injured respectively.

Last man strikers: Parker...erm...Brooke (who can't realistically be considered a regular first teamer yet)......

...and between them Parker and Brooke have two goals. In a team set up to rely on it's forward players for goals, that's a very worrying stat.

So I think people are missing the point when giving Brill a hard time, as I think the complaints should be aimed at Penney for not bringing in a more prolific striker or at least competition in the squad, the owners for not stumping up the cash for Penney to act on this, or Parker for simply not scoring enough goals. Injuries are bad and money is tight, but this is by far the most pressing issue for the team and one more good quality striker could make a huge difference.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

From what I've seen of Brill I'd say he's an average League One 'keeper, he makes some mistakes, some decent saves. But goals conceded have not been the biggest problem and that imo isn't down to the rest of the defence covering for Brill as it doesn't seem to me to be the most comfortable defence we've had.

The bigger problem is the lack of goals scored. We're joint 5th in the league in goals conceded and 23rd in goals scored. It's nice to see the midfield chipping in with goals but that's not their main function and I believe that the midfield over the season so far have been solid enough defensively that I'm not concerned about their roles. Abbott's contribution of goals and link up play have been widely praised and for the link up player that he is, he has definitely chipped in with a good number of goals for the role he plays. For me the serious problem is the quality and quantity of strikers in our squad who play on the last man. Looking at the strikers we have:

Link up players: Abbott, Blackman, O'Grady, Alessandra. Obviously the last two are on loan and injured respectively.

Last man strikers: Parker...erm...Brooke (who can't realistically be considered a regular first teamer yet)......

...and between them Parker and Brooke have two goals. In a team set up to rely on it's forward players for goals, that's a very worrying stat.

So I think people are missing the point when giving Brill a hard time, as I think the complaints should be aimed at Penney for not bringing in a more prolific striker or at least competition in the squad, the owners for not stumping up the cash for Penney to act on this, or Parker for simply not scoring enough goals. Injuries are bad and money is tight, but this is by far the most pressing issue for the team and one more good quality striker could make a huge difference.

so a striker will make Brill a better keeper...I ave sat and listened to happy clappers for over 35 years, in the pub, in the media and now on here and i take it with a pinch of salt..but!...to stand by that clown is absolute bollox, Fleming, Ollerenshaw, Big Gordi? what ave we got to lose, Brill is a feckin joke, i'm sure he is a nice person but that counts for nowt when he is ruining my life!

so a striker will make Brill a better keeper...

Hmm......you completely missed the point of what I was saying.

A striker will make the TEAM better. As for Brill, yes he's not a great 'keeper but he's definitely played his part in our low goals against tally and considering wholesale changes aren't financially possible there are other areas that more urgently need to be dealt with and that fans should be making more of an issue out of imo.

Also where did I say anything along the lines of him being a nice person?! :huh: Why the feck would that make any difference!

Hmm......you completely missed the point of what I was saying.

A striker will make the TEAM better. As for Brill, yes he's not a great 'keeper but he's definitely played his part in our low goals against tally and considering wholesale changes aren't financially possible there are other areas that more urgently need to be dealt with and that fans should be making more of an issue out of imo.

Also where did I say anything along the lines of him being a nice person?! :huh: Why the feck would that make any difference!

Dean Brill is the luckiest keeper alive. His contribtion to the low goals against tally is his superb judgement of leaving the ball ti hit the woodwork. I've never known a period where the Latics woodwork as been hit so many times!!! Can anyone count more than 5 shots that you can honestly say Dean Brill as saved? and I don't mean tiddliers that rolll to him or lobbed up into his midriff (thou into his midriff doesn't always mean they stick)

Does everyone watch the warm up prior to the games or his half time knee's up utilizing our expensive goalkeeping coach? if you don't start to watch and see how many times he fumbles, drops or purely misses the ball. It's an absolute joke. It's honestly coming to the point that if our so called professional manager and coaches cannot see that Brill is not a professional and shouldn't be anywhere near BP, then I will start to feel cheated that my money is anywhere near it too. I've never felt so strongly about a player and for once I stood up in the Chaddy and screamed at the guy to catch the f*****g ball. Brill is the man Brian Clough should have referred to as a 'clown'. I want this guy gone and perhaps do a job that he is more suited to, but I won't be seeing him anytime soon in the spindles juggling for a living. In truth the guy probably can't wait to get away from Oldham.

Edited by Lags

Disagree, it was an out-swinging free-kick. Cracking free kick, it wasnt hit straight.

What rubbish, i was right behind it and he just didn't even consider williams would hit it. A little bit of bend from 25yards out does not make a superb free kick. Should have been 3 in the wall and about 5 yards further over to the side.

Dean Brill is the luckiest keeper alive. His contribtion to the low goals against tally is his superb judgement of leaving the ball ti hit the woodwork. I've never known a period where the Latics woodwork as been hit so many times!!! Can anyone count more than 5 shots that you can honestly say Dean Brill as saved? and I don't mean tiddliers that rolll to him or lobbed up into his midriff (thou into his midriff doesn't always mean they stick)

Does everyone watch the warm up prior to the games or his half time knee's up utilizing our expensive goalkeeping coach? if you don't start to watch and see how many times he fumbles, drops or purely misses the ball. It's an absolute joke. It's honestly coming to the point that if our so called professional manager and coaches cannot see that Brill is not a professional and shouldn't be anywhere near BP, then I will start to feel cheated that my money is anywhere near it too. I've never felt so strongly about a player and for once I stood up in the Chaddy and screamed at the guy to catch the f*****g ball. Brill is the man Brian Clough should have referred to as a 'clown'. I want this guy gone and perhaps do a job that he is more suited to, but I won't be seeing him anytime soon in the spindles juggling for a living. In truth the guy probably can't wait to get away from Oldham.

New Latics theme song - "All we need is another Brill in the wall"

What rubbish, i was right behind it and he just didn't even consider williams would hit it. A little bit of bend from 25yards out does not make a superb free kick. Should have been 3 in the wall and about 5 yards further over to the side.

Exactly that man.

Just because a free-kick goes in does not make a great free-kick.

The ever-increasing Clown between the posts set up his inadequate wall from a central starting position; I’ve never known of or seen in the flesh (or on TV for that matter) a ‘keeper who sets a wall like that until Mr Not-So-Brill graced our team.

He set it believing that Roberts was going to hit it, with his right foot; either whipping it in as a cross as he did in the first half when Rhodes got the flick on & hit the bar, or as an outright shot at goal. He didn’t prepare for the possibility that Fat Williams was going to take it as a cross or shot at all. A left footed free-kick didn’t enter his mind; if it did he would have moved the wall over to his right & stood 2/3 yards over to his right also.

Every free-kick we concede that is even remotely within range and I get a horrible sinking feeling; a feeling that we’ll be shipping a gaol in. Its happened Vs Swindon, Hartlepool, Southampton & now Hudds. Teams realise that all they have to do is get in on target with a modicum of pace & it’s a goal.

But its not just free-kicks that he is plainly just awful at; it’s the coming for & then subsequent catching of crosses. He stays glued to his line when he should be out dominating his area; catching crosses before they land perfectly on the head of strikers. Coming for through balls right to the edge of his area instead of letting his defenders make the decisions. He is a hesitant, dallying, useless waste of space with a non-existent footballing brain.

In all my years of watching Latics; I haven’t had as low a confidence in a ‘keeper as I have in Brill; and I include Miskelly et all in that list!! He isn’t up to it; simple as. He was a poor buy; and he is costing us points and it is affecting the whole confidence of the team.

The powers that be need to act NOW; not in Jan; NOW. He is a waste of shirt – but unfortunately the shirt he occupies is arguably one of the most important ones in the side. His gaffs result in goals; and they are costing us. He needs to go & now. Even the 18 year old Josh O would be a better bet at present.

On a related point; can his defenders on here please tell me what it is they’ve seen in him that makes them believe he is up to the job; because I’ve been watching closely all season & I can’t point to a single standout feature of his game that screams to me; yep – you’ll do the job.

I shouted to Martin Gray on Sunday after the free-kick; asking him simply if he saw that Brill isn’t up to it. He raised his eyebrows, puffed his cheeks out & then let his head fall to look at the ground. He walked over to Penney & the 2 of them had a ‘heated’ chat. I can only hope it was about solving the GK spot………….fingers crossed.

Exactly that man.

Just because a free-kick goes in does not make a great free-kick.

The ever-increasing Clown between the posts set up his inadequate wall from a central starting position; I’ve never known of or seen in the flesh (or on TV for that matter) a ‘keeper who sets a wall like that until Mr Not-So-Brill graced our team.

He set it believing that Roberts was going to hit it, with his right foot; either whipping it in as a cross as he did in the first half when Rhodes got the flick on & hit the bar, or as an outright shot at goal. He didn’t prepare for the possibility that Fat Williams was going to take it as a cross or shot at all. A left footed free-kick didn’t enter his mind; if it did he would have moved the wall over to his right & stood 2/3 yards over to his right also.

Every free-kick we concede that is even remotely within range and I get a horrible sinking feeling; a feeling that we’ll be shipping a gaol in. Its happened Vs Swindon, Hartlepool, Southampton & now Hudds. Teams realise that all they have to do is get in on target with a modicum of pace & it’s a goal.

But its not just free-kicks that he is plainly just awful at; it’s the coming for & then subsequent catching of crosses. He stays glued to his line when he should be out dominating his area; catching crosses before they land perfectly on the head of strikers. Coming for through balls right to the edge of his area instead of letting his defenders make the decisions. He is a hesitant, dallying, useless waste of space with a non-existent footballing brain.

In all my years of watching Latics; I haven’t had as low a confidence in a ‘keeper as I have in Brill; and I include Miskelly et all in that list!! He isn’t up to it; simple as. He was a poor buy; and he is costing us points and it is affecting the whole confidence of the team.

The powers that be need to act NOW; not in Jan; NOW. He is a waste of shirt – but unfortunately the shirt he occupies is arguably one of the most important ones in the side. His gaffs result in goals; and they are costing us. He needs to go & now. Even the 18 year old Josh O would be a better bet at present.

On a related point; can his defenders on here please tell me what it is they’ve seen in him that makes them believe he is up to the job; because I’ve been watching closely all season & I can’t point to a single standout feature of his game that screams to me; yep – you’ll do the job.

I shouted to Martin Gray on Sunday after the free-kick; asking him simply if he saw that Brill isn’t up to it. He raised his eyebrows, puffed his cheeks out & then let his head fall to look at the ground. He walked over to Penney & the 2 of them had a ‘heated’ chat. I can only hope it was about solving the GK spot………….fingers crossed.

I've never seen a keeper that i've played against, seen on telly, seen at any game i've been to do that!!

How can you judge correctly what your wall is covering when you are stood in the middle of your net? No wonder free kick takers have more than half the net to aim at.

I hope to God he surely didnt expect Williams to take it with his right foot, he has a cracking left foot. Scored loads of free kicks in the past.

The guy is more frustrating than Authorization Mismatch on here!!!!

I've never seen a keeper that i've played against, seen on telly, seen at any game i've been to do that!!

How can you judge correctly what your wall is covering when you are stood in the middle of your net? No wonder free kick takers have more than half the net to aim at.

I hope to God he surely didnt expect Williams to take it with his right foot, he has a cracking left foot. Scored loads of free kicks in the past.

The guy is more frustrating than Authorization Mismatch on here!!!!

He didn't. He wrongly thought Roberts was going to take it with his right.

Time to move on now mi feels....

http://www.htafc.com/page/Gallery/0,,10312~1844228,00.html

Good pic of Williams' goal in there. Look at where the ball is... how can people say that wasn't a good free kick is beyond me :lol:

Proves that it went in with over a metre to spare of hitting the post. Must have been one hell of a swerve if the wall was correctly placed. Also shows Brill not moving his feet towards the ball just jumping from his incorrect positioning in goal. He's a shocker!, every goalkeeping coach/football pundit will tell you you shouldb't be beat on ya near post. I've watched this guy with amazement from the pre season games and said it then he looked dodgy. Had the ball been hit over the wall( not to the side) with pace and been brought back down again then fair play.

Edited by Lags

Proves that it went in with over a metre to spare of hitting the post. Must have been well hell of a swerve if the wall was correctly placed. Also shows Brill not moving his feet towards the ball just jumping from his incorrect positioning in goal. He's a shocker!, every goalkeeping coach/football pundit will tell you you shouldb't be beat on ya near post. I've watched this guy with amazement from the pre season games and said it then he looked dodgy. Had the ball been hit over the wall( not to the side) with pace and been brought back down again then fair play.

I personally don't think the picture proves a great deal, as a piece of evidence it isn't the best however what the majority of people do seem to be agrreing on is the fact that yet again the wall was poorly positioned, the keeper was poorly positioned and there was far too much goal to aim at.

This keeper is an utter liability in these situations. the fact that time and time again this season he has been found wanting in these dead ball situations. We need to ditch the goalkeeping coach as he is clearly not doing the job which he is paid to do and can Brill. i've given him time and he is just not up to it, sorry Dean it is nothing personal but you are simply not worth the wage nor good enough for the shirt

Whilst quite obviously Brill is not in Steve Harpers league (literally and non literally) that tonight is what a good goalkeeping display can do. Kept it 3 points for Newcastle as opposed to 1 or o. That's why it's very important to have a competent keeper.

Edited by Lags

• 4 months later...
I agree, he's crap, get rid!

Our second or third best player this season.

Bloody hell you've had to do some digging for this thread haven't you?

In fairness he was shockingly bad early in the season. Nice to see him turn it around.Whatever Penney's faults,his man-management's pretty good.

I agree, he's crap, get rid!

Our second or third best player this season.

Brill saved a Pen and claim a point for us. Given in your opinion he's our 3rd best player shows how desperately poor we are.

A last-minute penalty save from keeper Dean Brill ensured Latics picked up a valuable point in their bottom-of-the-table League One clash at Exeter City.

Brill brilliantly kept out Ryan Harley's spot kick as Latics snatched a draw from the jaws of defeat in this relegation dogfight.

Latics had fallen behind on the hour to a Harley penalty only to claw their way back into the game though a late equaliser from Sean Gregan.

Lol...I love how a penalty save changes everything...good job it didn't take 3 seasons for him to save one eh!

Poor keeper...cost us at Colchester, got away with silly stuff against Walsall and against Norwich. Fumbled the shot away for Leeds 1st....will cost us points again before the season is out.

Lol...I love how a penalty save changes everything...good job it didn't take 3 seasons for him to save one eh!

Poor keeper...cost us at Colchester, got away with silly stuff against Walsall and against Norwich. Fumbled the shot away for Leeds 1st....will cost us points again before the season is out.

The saves he's made far outweighs the mistakes he's made. Our midfield's inability to retain possession means we're letting the opposition attack us more than they have in recent seasons. Brill and the defence have a huge workload every match. Now, consider if we could retain possession...if we were playing well and creating chances. Brill and the defence would not have half the work which they currently have cut out for them....thus reducing the chances of mistakes happening. Brill is far from a poor keeper.

The saves he's made far outweighs the mistakes he's made. Our midfield's inability to retain possession means we're letting the opposition attack us more than they have in recent seasons. Brill and the defence have a huge workload every match. Now, consider if we could retain possession...if we were playing well and creating chances. Brill and the defence would not have half the work which they currently have cut out for them....thus reducing the chances of mistakes happening. Brill is far from a poor keeper.

Really? I don't think when we've lost that he's actually had many saves to make. The defence has vastly improved over the months and Brill's had one or two saves in a match to make. Which at times he does. And when he does, he then follows it up with an error. Colchester's the perfect example...saves a 1 on 1 in the 1st half and then in the 2nd half comes out like a clown for a ball he's never going to win. That was about all he had to do that game! 0-1.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Really? I don't think when we've lost that he's actually had many saves to make. The defence has vastly improved over the months and Brill's had one or two saves in a match to make. Which at times he does. And when he does, he then follows it up with an error. Colchester's the perfect example...saves a 1 on 1 in the 1st half and then in the 2nd half comes out like a clown for a ball he's never going to win. That was about all he had to do that game! 0-1.

You are determined to hate him,

We have kept 10 clean sheets this season,

brill has made 9 of them in 25 appearances

flavahan kept 1 in 8 games..

Given that form flav would keep 3 in 24 games..

If the league was based on clean sheets kept we would be 8th brill responible for 9 of them..

he is a decent keeper, dodgy start, improved, stop saying he is rubbish, stop putting your teams players down