Is anyone else...

....actually really happy with how we are progressing this season?

Okay, maybe I am just hyper-enthusiastic because I don't actually (as my user name implies) have to actually watch Latics these days (in the flesh). And I guess none of us are kidding each other that we are world-beaters by any means. BUT....let's have a bit of positivity here people! And a bit of praise for David Penney. I expected us to face a real struggle this year. Okay, that might still happen, but if you'd given me ninth now back in July, I would have taken it smart-ish. I think Penney deserves a lot of credit for what he's done. I can't remember when an Oldham team was so dogged and hard to beat. Every opposition manager seems to says that we are 'organised' and 'difficult to break down'. Compare this to how we were under Sheridan's latter days. Penney seems to have executed rule one perfectly...make your team hard to beat. Now let's see what he can do when we get our influential players like Taylor, Smalley and (maybe) Purdie fit.

Like I said, I'm not saying we are Brazil yet, but I just think he's done a really good job so far.

Edited by perfectOzblue

Satisfied. In line with expectations. Not "really happy" though. The football's not sexy enough for that. We've sacrificed a bit of width to deliver the solidity.

I expected us to face a real struggle this year. Okay, that might still happen, but if you'd given me ninth now back in July, I would have taken it smart-ish. I think Penney deserves a lot of credit for what he's done. I can't remember when an Oldham team was so dogged and hard to beat.

I expected mid-table. We'll get mid-table.

I think the squad is less talented than the one we had last year. They are also a hell of a lot gutsier too and the credit for that certainly goes to the manager.

Every opposition manager seems to says that we are 'organised' and 'difficult to break down'. Compare this to how we were under Sheridan's latter days. Penney seems to have executed rule one perfectly...make your team hard to beat.

No doubt about it. It isn't always pretty, but hard-working performances that deliver results against better quality opposition are the way we'll have to be this season.

Now let's see what he can do when we get our influential players like Taylor, Smalley and (maybe) Purdie fit.

I he could turn Smalley in to an influential player, rather than being a player with potential, then I'm all for it.

If Brill sorts himself out and Parker starts finishing the great chances that he helps create then there is potential to make the play-offs. But I think that's a big ask.

Edited by opinions4u

Okay, maybe I am just hyper-enthusiastic because I don't actually (as my user name implies) have to actually watch Latics these days (in the flesh). And I guess none of us are kidding each other that we are world-beaters by any means. BUT....let's have a bit of positivity here people! And a bit of praise for David Penney. I expected us to face a real struggle this year. Okay, that might still happen, but if you'd given me ninth now back in July, I would have taken it smart-ish. I think Penney deserves a lot of credit for what he's done. I can't remember when an Oldham team was so dogged and hard to beat. Every opposition manager seems to says that we are 'organised' and 'difficult to break down'. Compare this to how we were under Sheridan's latter days. Penney seems to have executed rule one perfectly...make your team hard to beat. Now let's see what he can do when we get our influential players like Taylor, Smalley and (maybe) Purdie fit.

Like I said, I'm not saying we are Brazil yet, but I just think he's done a really good job so far.

i'm very happy with Penney - even when we were struggling earlier in the season. He can't legislate for the mistakes the keeper and defence have made on occasion. We're hard to break down and have the ability to nick a goal when we need one - more apparent away from home and the fact we've only conceded 1 goal in 4 away games is a very good record, all the more admirable when you take into account the injury problems. Greegs, :censored: and Pav are the three key men and I'd like to see Sheehan stay for at least another month.

I would like to see us score a few more, but I do understand that we haven't a lot of attacking options to work with, hopefully when Taylor's fully fit and we get Smalley and Lewi back we will still be in a position to have a real go at the top 6.

Southend and Colchester have been promoted in recent seasons whilst being anything but free-scoring, cut-out the errors and we'll have half a chance. next up are free-scoring Hudds, who have struggled away - if we get an early goal their heads will drop. We'll need to keep it tight as they don't like that as they need the space for their pacy players to have an effect.

I'm pretty happy too- looking at the season as a whole and virtually a brand new team I expected us to start slow and get better- with our injury problems even more so. So for us to be 9th at this stage is very pleasing. I would like us to look like scoring more goals but scoring goals isn't as important as getting results and DP has got the team doing that (Charlton away being a prime example).

However, it is quite clear to me that this league has no where near the quality it should have and many of teams are naff (and then there's Southampton who are a good side but started 10 points behind everyone else and whilst having the quality to make the play-offs might not do because of it). I can see us finishing the season rougly where we are now but some way adrift of the play-offs (i.e. best of the rest as it were).

I can see us finishing the season rougly where we are now but some way adrift of the play-offs (i.e. best of the rest as it were).

So the question has to be asked. When will we sack him for finishing in that position, as we have for the previous managers*?

Resultswise, I think he is a decent manager. Entertainment? All rather dreary I'm afraid.

*Well, better than that actually.

So the question has to be asked. When will we sack him for finishing in that position, as we have for the previous managers*?

Resultswise, I think he is a decent manager. Entertainment? All rather dreary I'm afraid.

*Well, better than that actually.

until we beat the top teams, then we are average mid-table material.

we would be expected to win at a lowly club like brighton.

the big tests will come when we meet huddersfield and leeds who are both flying at the moment.

we need to sign someone in january really. i would like us to see a reasonably big name signed. this might just drive up the crowds who will come to see that player.

we need to sign someone in january really. i would like us to see a reasonably big name signed. this might just drive up the crowds who will come to see that player.

Forget the big name, we can't afford any player who people have heard of.

I'd be very happy if we signed Sheehan, but I doubt we can afford him either.

Like Simon Charlton in 06/07, Sheehan has given us much needed balance and the benefit since mid-september has been there for all to see.

Happy enough with the position, but I'd agree with one of the earlier posts - I'm not sure that I see where we are going to progress beyond this season at the moment. We need to add a good, young centre-half to the squad who we can build our defence around for the next couple of years. We lack ruthlessness up front, although Abbott is a touch of class, and so long-term I'd like to see us exchange Parker (who I despise) and O'Grady for someone with a bit of pace who can score.

As for the performances, they have been rather drab in patches but against MK Dons we showed up really well - it was all about the midfield three providing a platform for Whitaker to come off his wing and start dictating play. A ploy which is much more workable when Sheehan provides us with auxiliary width when Taylor pulls in - noticable that against MK Dons Lomax had his best game ever and actually looked okay going forward. The concern would be that we don't execute those plans effectively on a consistent enough basis, and hence we will not get any further than mid-table.

Oh, and Brill is pretty rubbish and should be replaced by Fleming.

QUOTE (stebuzz @ Oct 25 2009, 13:13 PM)

Completely agree LRB.

WE did the name signings thing last year, and look where that got us.

You ahve to learn your lessons to progress, and adapt.

No use being a one trick pony and only having one option.

until we beat the top teams, then we are average mid-table material.

we would be expected to win at a lowly club like brighton.

the big tests will come when we meet huddersfield and leeds who are both flying at the moment.

What, á la Windass? :blush: