The Pits!

Came past latics today off broadway behind the lookers. What a shabby, depressing, run down place confronts you.

I'm not in favour of failsworth as the preffered location for our new ground but OMG we need to do something quickly before the place falls down!

We'll always struggle to attract new fans whilst this is all we can offer them. Sad to say but if there's no chance of a major revamp then i think it's time to abandon ship. :disappointed:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Came past latics today off broadway behind the lookers. What a shabby, depressing, run down place confronts you.

I'm not in favour of failsworth as the preffered location for our new ground but OMG we need to do something quickly before the place falls down!

We'll always struggle to attract new fans whilst this is all we can offer them. Sad to say but if there's no chance of a major revamp then i think it's time to abandon ship. :disappointed:

do you not think this is a deliberate ploy by certain people at the club....make bp as depressing as possible without evoking your safety obligations,then people will get fed up with it and hey presto...look what we could have if we go to failsworth,a sparkly new all singing all(reduced capacity for corp) all dancing new ground to say wow....how much better than bp is this!!!

or is that me just being very cynical

do you not think this is a deliberate ploy by certain people at the club....make bp as depressing as possible without evoking your safety obligations,then people will get fed up with it and hey presto...look what we could have if we go to failsworth,a sparkly new all singing all(reduced capacity for corp) all dancing new ground to say wow....how much better than bp is this!!!

Tend to agree with you there. It's criminal how BP has been allowed to fall into such a state of disrepair ( or as you say was it a ploy? )

To think we may have to suffer this for another 18 months or so minimum is a depressing thought.

Tend to agree with you there. It's criminal how BP has been allowed to fall into such a state of disrepair ( or as you say was it a ploy? )

To think we may have to suffer this for another 18 months or so minimum is a depressing thought.

yup..but lets be honest...its been like this for ages, with a dstinct reluctance to spend money on keeping the ground to minimum levels

its not like they would have to shell out loads of cash either,no doubt get paint at trade prices etc etc,and utilise the market out there that is community service and work experience people...even put out a help your club out notice saying or asking for volunteers to help paint and clean etc etc...

i just feel personally that the more it looks shabby dissapointing and unloved the more it suits the clubs needs to move.

yup..but lets be honest...its been like this for ages, with a dstinct reluctance to spend money on keeping the ground to minimum levels

its not like they would have to shell out loads of cash either,no doubt get paint at trade prices etc etc,and utilise the market out there that is community service and work experience people...even put out a help your club out notice saying or asking for volunteers to help paint and clean etc etc...

i just feel personally that the more it looks shabby dissapointing and unloved the more it suits the clubs needs to move.

When the new main stand was in the offing, the club said that your first view of it from broadway would show a statement of intent ....Now when you turn up carlton way and look over you half expect to see the centre circle flooded with caravans!

My thoughts exactly.

"i think the fans of oldham athletic are too stupid to believe that theory...it just might work!"

If you're a loonie who likes to believe in conspiracy theories, then yes.

I wonder if it would be possible to have a mural of Latics' history painted there to hide the grimness? Could be part of the celebrations of our last season at BP.

Email the club, get some fans together, buy some paint, come up with a design, do it. I'm sure they wouldn't say no. You thinking of doing both sides - pitch facing and car park facing?

You'll all hate me for this but ..

Failsworth is the future, and i'm in support of it, have been from the start!

Agree. I'd move tomorrow.

Big deal if this conspiracy theory is true. What we gonna do about it, all us 3000 fans? Money talks, the owners talk, if they move us to Failsworth then so be it. Think they're over ambitious on the 12,000 seats bit though...

E4e

FIVEK

care to give us your explanation for the place being a mess and left to rust over the last few years then?

the club wasn't moving a few years ago.. £400,000 on upkeep my arse.

So the move to failsworth has got nothing to do with the credit crunch and the falling housing prices then has it?

whats that got to do with BP being left to rust???

Its not the reason why it has been left to rust but it is the reason why we are leaving. The reason its been left to rust is pretty obvious though isn't it we haven't had the money to do so.

Edited by GlossopLatic

I am sat in my office and to the right of me there is a photo of the stadium taken from the end looking out towards the Rochdale Road end. Now it is no Anifield, or Old Trafford or Nou Camp... BUT it was a nice chaddy little respectable ground that I would happily call home. I bought the picture from the club shop during the dark days of facing death. I love it, BP looks a lovely little old fashioned ground.

But its a lie of a picture...

If I sit today in the same seats in the chaddy. I will look left and see a shocking mess as the wind comes hurtling in to freeze me. I can then look all around me and see a ageing crumbling stand with terrible facilities. I can look at our "executive" boxes and laugh at how woeful they are. I can look the George hill and try to work out how it is still standing. and I can look the Rochdale road end as an example of what could of been.

BP has always had issues but you cant just let things rust and drop stands and sell the idea the your moving the club on. Now this above might be used as some sort of advert of how we need to move. I prefer to use to show how the club has only gone backwards over the last five years. It pisses me off...

Edited by oafc0000

Its not the reason why it has been left to rust but it is the reason why we are leaving. The reason its been left to rust is pretty obvious though isn't it we haven't had the money to do so.

Not true... Go back five years and ask yourself how much the land was worth....

Don't flatter yourself johnny, I very much doubt it costs 400 grand to upkeep your arse... :grin:

BP has certainly suffered from a lack of basic investment recently, but when you've been working with plans to either totally rebuild it or flatten it and build elsewhere for the past 4 years or more, you probably tend to think that any more than the absolutely necessary maintenance spend on the existing BP is dead money.

I don't like the Failsworth plan because as things stand it looks to be too much of a scaling down of ambitions. It's a plan to suit the financial constraints of the current ownership and a plan that sets us squarely on a future path of lower league survival.

I am willing, however, to wait and see the final plans in detail - who knows, they may sway me. They will have to be impressive though to persuade me that we're not making a dreadful mistake in discarding forever the chance to stay at and redevelop our home.

disagree.

the reason its been left to rust is because they won't spend money on minor upkeep.it then gives the impression its a dump and fans with any type of doubts to a move will look around BP every home game and think "its a dump"..but that because its been left to be a dump.

we've been at BP for over 100 years..why has it suddenly "looked a dump" the last few years eh?

looked fine in parts 4 years ago.

"....we haven't had the money to do so."...TTA said they spent £400,000 on upkeep last year. where exactly???

a final thought. if, for example, the failsworth project goes through tomorrow,the new stadium won't be ready for 2 years +.so,we'll have to sit within the ruins of forever neglected BP until then.

makes you weep.

Not true... Go back five years and ask yourself how much the land was worth....

Probably more than it is now are you suggesting that we should have moved/redeveloped years ago because if you are I agree wholeheartedly but unfortunately it wasn't as simple as that.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Probably more than it is now are you suggesting that we should have moved/redeveloped years ago because if you are I agree wholeheartedly but unfortunately it wasn't as simple as that.

Draw your own opinion but I don't think it had be all as hard as its turned out to be...

Imagine if TTA had come in and just redeveloped BP instead of taking on Ferny Fields... Just one example how it didn't have to be hard as it has been...

Mind you, back in the days of Ferney Fields we were looking at something like a 20000 seat replica of the Circle at Hull, with its own little retail and leisure park. I was all for that back then.

It's not the club's fault the recession blew the BP redevelopment out of the water, but a temporary financial crisis (however deep) is no reason to permanently extinguish any hope of taking the club (back) to a higher level.