Tell you what, if I hear on the fishul, or in the Chron the owners bleating about a poor crowd for this game, or any other game I'll be contacting them with home truths.

Yesterday, I went down to Boundary Park to pick up in one go, a ticket for the game today, and my Leeds ticket for next week. I did the correct thing, which was to check the fishul website out for the opening times, which stated 9am-2pm, fitting in nicely with my Saturday schedule of Latics-less football.

So, I mosey on down at about 1pm, arriving to find all the shutters down and no sign of life coming from the club. Not even the club shop had a light flickering, all looking decidedly desolate. Even a couple of other Latics fans had arrived at the same time as me, with faces looking as bemused as mine.

Apart from the marketing (or lack of therein) being minimal, the clubs ticket office isn't even open when they say it's going to be open. Saturday is still a free day for many people, and the only day to go down and pick a ticket up. The club are hitting hard times getting people down for third division football, but that means they need to try that much harder getting people through the doors. Christ, I even work in Bacup and on the way in to work every day I pass TWO, yes TWO signs informing me when Bacup Borough's next home game is on. I mean, if a completely no-mark club like Bacup Borough can be arsed letting people know when they play, it surely can't be hard for Latics to get into gear and do likewise.

It's sloppily run from top to bottom now, and I'm starting to get fed up. Not only that, I know hardcore, dyed-in-the-wool fans are also getting fed up and thems there warning signs y'know. Whilst I'm in favour of a move to Failsworth, because it'll be certainly a nicer matchday experience and a fresh start, the real downfall of the club is that they're letting the unprofessionalism and marketing faux-pas' continue and worsen.

I just feel the club are letting the true fans down at the moment. In a big way, and that's alarming.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Town fan here. Beag teets the .gif in your sig, is that the Chaddy End? What was the crowd that day?

In regards to our ground I disagree with the character thing. Perhaps I'll be dismissed as bias because I'm a Town fan, but compared to all the new mechano stadiums being thrown up (saw Cardiff's this evening - atrocious) I think ours has some character. It's stylish and easy on the eye.

For what it's worth, I rate the gayfarm or whatever it's called these days as one of the nicest grounds in the football league.

The home crowd would have been one more today, but I got there at 1:50 to see the gates of the main car park being pulled shut, then drove around all the usual places (or at least the ones I'd leave my car these days), then the rain came down and I decided it wasn't worth walking from ten minutes away and getting p*ss wet through so went to see my parents a couple of hours early instead!

Another Town fan here. I used to enjoy going to Boundary Park (except during the era of the plastic pitch), but it's definately showing its age now. I think a lot of it is to do with the large number of new stadiums (or redeveloped grounds) which have appeared. Oldham seem to have been left behind, and the Premier League days seem an eternity away. I had to remind myself it was only about 15/16 years ago.

The weather didn't help, but on arrival at the ground it didn't half seem dated and depressing. I think it's the demolition of the stand (Lookers ?) next to the car park which is the source of the problem. The Rochdale Road stand still looks pretty modern and offers a pretty good view, but even that stand has limited facilities.

I was quite pleased for Oldham when the original plans were announced for the redevelopment of the ground. Looking around today, it's a good sized site and the club could develop a good sized stadium there, but I guess finances dictate the move to a new stadium.

I left the ground today feeling a little bit saddened by the state it is now in. I hope for Oldham's fans sake the situation improves one way or the other in the near future.

I agree, I'd love to have a ground like yours. If the Failsworth thing goes ahead, no doubt we'll end up with a ground like Scunthorpe's subbuteo stadium.

I hope you don't, the Scunthorpe/Walsall ground's are two of the most miserable charcterless venues in the league. Scunthorpe have only been there twenty years and they are already looking at moving to a new stadium.

Edited by nshackle

Another Town fan here. I used to enjoy going to Boundary Park (except during the era of the plastic pitch), but it's definately showing its age now. I think a lot of it is to do with the large number of new stadiums (or redeveloped grounds) which have appeared. Oldham seem to have been left behind, and the Premier League days seem an eternity away. I had to remind myself it was only about 15/16 years ago.

The weather didn't help, but on arrival at the ground it didn't half seem dated and depressing. I think it's the demolition of the stand (Lookers ?) next to the car park which is the source of the problem. The Rochdale Road stand still looks pretty modern and offers a pretty good view, but even that stand has limited facilities.

I was quite pleased for Oldham when the original plans were announced for the redevelopment of the ground. Looking around today, it's a good sized site and the club could develop a good sized stadium there, but I guess finances dictate the move to a new stadium.

I left the ground today feeling a little bit saddened by the state it is now in. I hope for Oldham's fans sake the situation improves one way or the other in the near future.

Agreed. The demolition of the Lookers stand has made our stadium into one of the most depressing in the country. Before that, it was a nice little ground with a bit of character where on days like today a real atmosphere could be whipped up, now it lookes like it's falling apart and it's just not a nice place to be anymore. I probably got the best view of the place in what was the worst stand (the Lookers) but I can remember sitting in the Chaddy and RRE and it had it's own special feel. Ruined.

I'm not antifailsworth, but i'm not pro failworth either. What is the viability of replacing the Lookers Stand and building the facilities we require on that side of the ground and then just replacing the Chaddy roof? Do we own enough land around the site to finance this, it's a much smaller project than had first been planned but it would surely suit us, raising capacity to somewhere close to the 16000 mark, as previously hoped.

Yesterday, I went down to Boundary Park to pick up in one go, a ticket for the game today, and my Leeds ticket for next week. I did the correct thing, which was to check the fishul website out for the opening times, which stated 9am-2pm, fitting in nicely with my Saturday schedule of Latics-less football.

So, I mosey on down at about 1pm, arriving to find all the shutters down and no sign of life coming from the club. Not even the club shop had a light flickering, all looking decidedly desolate. Even a couple of other Latics fans had arrived at the same time as me, with faces looking as bemused as mine.

Morning,

The above is my fault.

I did 4 articles all told on that angle and I got them all as “9am-12pm” (I just checked) apart from the “calling all Latics fans” article, where there’s no excuse other than a typo.

No excuses to you J, or anyone else this impacted. Just sincere apologies. Entirely my fault.

Cheers,

Ste

Morning,

The above is my fault.

I did 4 articles all told on that angle and I got them all as “9am-12pm” (I just checked) apart from the “calling all Latics fans” article, where there’s no excuse other than a typo.

No excuses to you J, or anyone else this impacted. Just sincere apologies. Entirely my fault.

Cheers,

Ste

it might well have been a typo..and no doubt your apolagies are as sincere as they come..

but i wonder how many others actually went down expecting it to be open and it wasnt,meaning we missed out on much needed revenue....

the club really needs to get its act together on all fronts,as it is fast becoming a joke and its no wonder people are voting with there feet.

Town fan here. Beag teets the .gif in your sig, is that the Chaddy End? What was the crowd that day?

In regards to our ground I disagree with the character thing. Perhaps I'll be dismissed as bias because I'm a Town fan, but compared to all the new mechano stadiums being thrown up (saw Cardiff's this evening - atrocious) I think ours has some character. It's stylish and easy on the eye.

It was just short of 20,000..... it was the penalty kick that won us the old second division championship and took us into the top flight for the first time in 70 odd years. Many of us look back in dismay at those times where we had a great opportunity to really move the club forward and perhaps establish ourselves as lets say a Bolton.

Crap home crowd yesterday but was thre really 1400 seats unsold in the main stand and chaddy..... Sat in the chaddy i couldnt see any spare seat in the Main stand and the Chaddy looked prety packed whilst sat in it.

..... that's the problem when you are sat in a stand, there were lots of spaces in the Chaddy yesterday and quite a few in the Main Stand where I was. I think 8500 was about right.

it might well have been a typo..and no doubt your apolagies are as sincere as they come..

but i wonder how many others actually went down expecting it to be open and it wasnt,meaning we missed out on much needed revenue....

the club really needs to get its act together on all fronts,as it is fast becoming a joke and its no wonder people are voting with there feet.

This needs to balanced off with a bit of sense though...

Opening the ticket office 9 to 12 makes sense when they are going to have to open again on the Sunday and no doubt pay overtime or whatever...

Just saying its a rare occasion for our club and I can see them not wanting to double up on man time too much...

Edited by oafc0000

in a nutshell, we are being taken as the mugs we are.

i walked up sheepfoot lane last night, thinking "£20 wasted, sat in a rusting dump getting wet yet still under a roof, no entertainment value, no reason to shout about anything...sick of it."

fast thinking away games only for me now.

I was thinking of coming on Saturday but will give it a miss... I am thinking Boxing Day is likely to be my first and possibly only game of the season the way things are going... Its the only time I will be back in Oldham to see family... Cant see me making a special effort to come see Oldham all things considered...

Looked at doing away games but they are all quite far away this season it seems...

It's very worrying that we can only get just over 4500 home fans in for Huddersfield at home, a few years ago that would have been 6000+ home fans no problem. We have serious problems here and they need addressing fast..... I can help thinking that TTA are putting all their eggs in one basket thinking that a new stadium will fix everything. I worry that we won't have a club left by that point at this rate.

Knocking down the Lookers was a massive, massive mistake. I know people who have stopped coming since, and also some who relocated from there to the RRE with season tickets who didn't go yesterday.

Somthing needs to happen very quickly here...... next weekend is going to be very embarrasing when Leeds have more fans in the ground than us, I've never seen that before at BP :disappointed:

The apathy that has always existed around the town is now spreading to the die hards....... I'm even more worried than I was at the end of The Chris Moore years here.

I was thinking of coming on Saturday but will give it a miss... I am thinking Boxing Day is likely to be my first and possibly only game of the season the way things are going... Its the only time I will be back in Oldham to see family... Cant see me making a special effort to come see Oldham all things considered...

Looked at doing away games but they are all quite far away this season it seems...

thanks very much. tell you what- dont bother! it seems to much trouble.

Tbh I would probably have been to more than one game this season if the Lookers was still up.

Me as well...

One thing that went with the Lookers was the Boundary Blues meeting area... My little nephew would loved that... It would of encouraged me to come along with him as the pub isnt the best place to take kids...

The thing is thou folks we will still be Latics fans when TTA and the current crop of players leave. We are the only constant and without us the club dies, not the stadium as Mr Corney states. Whilst I sometimes despair I cannot turn my back on the club, nor see it die. We simply have to keep going.

The thing is thou folks we will still be Latics fans when TTA and the current crop of players leave. We are the only constant and without us the club dies, not the stadium as Mr Corney states. Whilst I sometimes despair I cannot turn my back on the club, nor see it die. We simply have to keep going.

while i agree there, its us silly sods who week in week out are taken for granted in pulling out another £20 each game.

in the end, even the most level headed latics fan will say enough is enough.